Game Boy Interface help

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Konsolkongen

Game Boy Interface help

Post by Konsolkongen »

I saw in another thread that FBX has experience with Game Boy Interface on the GameCube, so rather than creating a new user on GC-extreme I thought I'd ask here.

Don't have too much experience with GBI. I only used it back when it didn't support audio, but other than that it worked wonderfully.

Now I have the newest version of swiss which I run from my Qoob Pro chip, and the newest version of GBI running off an SD card. My GameCube is hooked up with HDMI via the internal GCHDMI mod I just finished.

When I boot gbi.dol I'm taken to an options menu in swiss for the program. If I ignore this it will boot gbi, but it will look terrible and washed out, but worst of all is that it's running 29.93Hz?! So not only does it look bad, it also plays bad.

I can force saturation and contrast in swiss to 1.0 which fixes the washed out colours, but I haven't been able to fix the framerate no matter what I've tried.

How do I fix this, and also how do I save the settings I make in swiss? And why is this the default out of the box experience for GBI? I don't get it :(
Extrems

Re: Game Boy Interface help

Post by Extrems »

29.93 Hz is definitely not right. This suggests a failed mode switch to 240p, which shouldn't be happening in the first place if you're using the standard edition.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I am just running the gbi.dol file. Even tried formatting the SD card and putting the files back just to rule out that I might have some old configs that caused this.

Do you think the problem lies with the HDMI mod? If I run the XRGB or OSSC versions I don’t get a picture but the sound does play. I have component cables, so I can try running the XRGB version with these.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Tried the XRGB version with component cables and the Framemeister. That doesn't work either, it just hangs on the swiss loading screen just like it does when I use HDMI. Audio plays fine though.

My GameCube is PAL if that matters for any reason.

Are there any old versions of GBI I can get instead? I don't remember having trouble in the past.

EDIT: Okay now it just doesn't work at all anymore. Now when GBI starts I only get an all white screen and a short buzz sound :S

Everything is kept at default, even tried reflashing swiss r431 to my qoob chip and reformatted the SD card yet again.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I managed to figure out what was causing the 29.97Hz (and also sometimes 25Hz). It was strangely enough because the Qoob menu was set to 480p. An option that shouldn't impact any game at all :/

I only found out after I tried deleting the config file from the chip, now things work properly :)

Is there a version of GBI that will run off the Qoob itself? Every version I've tried just results in a black screen. I don't need the options for GBI, just want to run it in 2x mode with no borders and in 60Hz.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

No, it doesn't work for some unknown reason. I'd need a Qoob Pro to debug it.

Consider flashing this: https://github.com/Streetwalrus/iplboot
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Thank you for the suggestion seems like a good solution. Unfortunately the compiled files are not available (that I can find anyway), so I'm unable to use that.

It works well enough using Swiss, but of the menus are a bit of a hassle :)
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Not sure how I missed the "releases" tab. :/

BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

So I'm trying to run RGsB 480p over component cable to CRT and LCD monitors. The hue is way off, everything is slightly green.

I've tried both RGB options (709 and 2020), and they're different hues of green. 709 is closer to correct, but still far off. Any clue about what I should do?
DrewRu

Post by DrewRu »

Hi...this version has low latency, but not a full-featured GUI. You can still configure it with custom “cll” files and it supports many video outputs. This is my go-to version of the software when possible! A note: If you have issues with custom modes, try it without the cli file present to make sure you’re not booting an incompatible mode.

printed circuit board