CRT monitor and Light Guns

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Syntax

Re: CRT monitor and Light Guns

Post by Syntax »

Theres no way.

I've tried with forcing vga in opl on a native 480p monitor and got nothing. This was with a csync mod.

The guns just cannot support anything but 15k input. They can however read an upscaled progressive 24k image on crt.

This TV progressive mode gets confused with the PS2 progressive mode where you hold circle when loading to force 480p on some titles.

I assure you not a single ps2 gun game has this option.

Should really be called "Progressive TV Calibration Mode" or something similar.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I'm think I'm on board with what you said as well - doesn't seem to work at all on the PS2.

If I'm understanding SNK-NEO-GEO correctly though, he said HoTD III on OG Xbox works with light guns in 480p? I PM'd him in case he doesn't see this topic because I can't get that to work for the life of me either (and I have the same PVM-20L5 he tested and the same cables I believe...the gun simply won't calibrate so you can't shoot a thing on screen).

Ordered a Dreamcast/Mad Catz lightgun tonight so I can try that as that's supposed to be 480p friendly (just a shame there's so few good light gun games on that system).
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Mad Katz is the gun to get. Others are locked out from playing North American titles.

One thing I haven't tried but will try tonight, using a GBS to output 480p to an old monitor I have.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

MadCatz light-gun test, Original Xbox with OEM Microsoft components cable and PVM 20L5 HOD 3 USA works.. it also works on my NEC XM29 plus with a components to VGA switch and Extron 203 going into BNC RGB line.. the Xbox is original without mod. So maybe it is the MadCats gun that works at 480P.

DreamCast with a Hanzo at VGA settings plus MadCats works at 31khz on a WG D9200.

At some point I will test the PS2 with original Sony components cables to confirm that those games run at 480i only.
Last edited by SNK-NEO-GEO on Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:18 am, edited 5 times in total.
The Future Is Now
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

DC light gun works on both 15 and 31khz monitors. No idea about OG XBOX - probably the same. All other light guns from the 80s and 90s are 15khz only.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

DC and xbox guns dont tap the sync signal work kinda differently to arcade and ps2.

They are less responsive and accurate.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

sort of on the subject - the sync cable for the guncons... what reads it exactly?

that is, is the sync pulse directly attached to one of the controller pins and processed by the console as a button press, that's not possible right? or is it routed back into the gun and processed by an IC in the guncon itself?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's not going to be compatible without some sort of mod (hardware and/or software; like the delay mod for the NES).

From the manual for The House of the Dead 3 for Xbox:
Note: The MadCatz Blaster light gun and other light guns are compatible with analog and digital NTSC TV's [sic] that operate in the range of 60Hz and 480i. However, some light guns may not operate correctly with HDTV, progressive scan, projection, or line-doubler TV's [sic]. Please check the light gun instruction manual for NTSC TV compatibility.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:MadCatz light-gun test, Original Xbox with OEM Microsoft components cable and PVM 20L5 HOD 3 USA works.. it also works on my NEC XM29 plus with a components to VGA switch and Extron 203 going into BNC RGB line.. the Xbox is original without mod. So maybe it is the MadCats gun that works at 480P.
So here's a 2-minute short video on my test setup: I've tried 2x original Xbox's (one modded with HDD, other stock with original disc), with two different Microsoft/original HD AV Packs (component/YPbPr out) hooked up directly to the monitors (not shown in this test) AND through my Extron Crosspoint (which works with ALL other light guns, including OG Xbox 480i), two different Mad Catz light guns, on three different HD Sony PVM/BVM's. Tried native YPbPr, and with a YPbPr>RGBS converter as well (which likewise has always worked for all other lightgun games), and can try with a Frozen VGA cable (which has the sync combiner turned on for RGBS output) - even on a Sony PC CRT monitor as well if need be.

I have no doubt SNK-NEO-GEO's works for his (on two different monitors, including the same exact PVM-20L5 I'm using), but I just don't know why mine wouldn't work, and we're talking about multiple everything here - so unless multiple units are broke the same way this just doesn't make sense... one small difference is SNK-NEO-GEO is using the newer YPbPr cables without the box, but I can't see that being it - I'm also going to go into the Xbox's control panel and see if there's any video options which I can try or change.

https://youtu.be/CLyIPEUiayU
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

Maybe the cable or different versions of lightgun, Xbox or HOD 3 disk?.. it would be interesting if another person does the same test.
The Future Is Now
AkumaLeoN

Post by AkumaLeoN »

SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:MadCatz light-gun test, Original Xbox with OEM Microsoft components cable and PVM 20L5 HOD 3 USA works.. it also works on my NEC XM29 plus with a components to VGA switch and Extron 203 going into BNC RGB line.. the Xbox is original without mod. So maybe it is the MadCats gun that works at 480P.
DreamCast with a Hanzo at VGA settings plus MadCats works at 31khz on a WG D9200.
At some point I will test the PS2 with original Sony components cables to confirm that those games run at 480i only.

Dreamcast lighguns work on VGA (31khz) !!! It is good to know, I will be purchasing one of these Hanzo...Toro... boxes.
Thanks
Sir Arthur ahf

Post by Sir Arthur ahf »

The pseudo official Beretta does not calibrate properly at 31

Apparently the Mad Catz yes?
Fatass

Post by Fatass »

@syntax & @dochartaigh,

Someone on u tube called Loneplay classics has uploaded some lightgun gameplay for ps2 and he's gotten vampire night and guncon 2 to work on a vga compatible crt. It appears to be played on a sharp consumer telly which has a vga input. He lists his setup in the description - although he's left out the method of connecting the guncon 2's sync line so I suspect he might be using an extra av multi out.

He used blaze hdtv exploder to boot the game in 480p and a cheap ps2tohdmi dongle combined with a hdmi to vga adapter. There's an mclassic thrown in there somewhere too but that might be for enhancing the capture (he's using an hdmi splitter in the chain) to his elgato.

Do a search for loneplay classics + vampire night + special mode multiplayer. He has other videos on other ps2 gun games/setups, dunno if it helps just throwing it out there...
War on hemorrhoids.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

I'm understanding that the EMS Topgun is no longer available due to all the bs that's going on with HK or is it just no longer supported?
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Fatass

Post by Fatass »

I think I saw an ems LCD topgun 3 on goldenshop.com.hk a few days ago. No knowing whether they're reputable or not, never purchased from them. Check fleabay as well or amazon. I'd make sure the country you're importing to doesn't have laws against importing replica firearms since they're based on beretta m92s.

No idea about ongoing support.
War on hemorrhoids.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

I have the III model, but I never picked up any of the separate sensor bars and kinda regret that I have to use those which have to paste on to the corners of your tv bezel. I'm also not sure if I can use this with HOTD 2 on XBOX as it goes right back to normal light gun tracking for whatever reason.

I do want to run a solution with my pc crt/ossc or find some way to spoof a read like 15khz.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

They are pretty bad, the slow gear based recoil gets stuck on the wobbly analog stick.

I sold my 3 cheap. I bet the guy I sold them to still has them and never figured out how to use them.
Fatass

Post by Fatass »

@headlesshobbs if you're into lightguns on a pc crt and have a functional guncon 1 (gcon45) lying around checkout gun2crt, jay bee is still working on it however it looks to support quite a variety of resolutions/refresh rates.

before tha I almost caved and got an ir solution like the top guns/aimtraks, then read the reviews and thought gun4ir would be it but I suck at tinkering so held off on that, too.
War on hemorrhoids.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

There's a thread here on the GUN2CRT here