anyone have monitor discharge stories or horror stories?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kemical

anyone have monitor discharge stories or horror stories?

Post by kemical »

*edit*
i need to discharge my arcade monitor, i know it's a simple thing to do, just wondering if anyone has any comments :o

also, i'm wondering, since an aero city is all metal construction, does that mean the monitor's frame is making contact with the cabinet, basically sending the monitor's charge from the screwdriver through jumper wire, into the frame and throughout the cabinet?

should I remove the monitor to discharge it? I'm kind of worried.
Last edited by kemical on Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
kemical

Post by kemical »

update, I got some help about it from a monitor tech, seems there is a capacitor that I should try replacing and it will fix the problem, I'll post an update once it's fixed as long as I don't electrocute myself discharging the anode thing :lol:
kemical

Post by kemical »

bumpnnnn.
zakk

Re: anyone have monitor discharge stories or horror stories?

Post by zakk »

kemical wrote:*edit*
i need to discharge my arcade monitor, i know it's a simple thing to do, just wondering if anyone has any comments :o

also, i'm wondering, since an aero city is all metal construction, does that mean the monitor's frame is making contact with the cabinet, basically sending the monitor's charge from the screwdriver through jumper wire, into the frame and throughout the cabinet?

should I remove the monitor to discharge it? I'm kind of worried.
It probably doesn't matter. Just disconnect any PCBs before you do it.

And no, there's no need to remove the monitor to discharge it.

Also, are you SURE you need to discharge it? You'd be surprised how linfrequently monitor techs actually discharge.
kemical

Re: anyone have monitor discharge stories or horror stories?

Post by kemical »

zakk wrote: Also, are you SURE you need to discharge it? You'd be surprised how linfrequently monitor techs actually discharge.
well, better to be safe than sorry i guess :) some monitors discharge themselves i think. I'm going to have to pop off the anode to get the pcb chassis out.. so i don't want to take risks.

I just took a better look at how the monitor is mounted and it is sitting on rubber or plastic washers, so the monitor frame doesn't make contact with the rest of the cabinet. so i feel safe about that now.
zakk

Post by zakk »

Well, if you're pulling the anode cap you 100% need to discharge. I always ask because some people like to do things like discharge because they're rotating the monitor, or something like that. Which is completely unecessary.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I was just working on a project monitor this week (swapping PCBs) and had to discharge it. I used one of my multimeter test leads with a heavy gague algator clip wire secured to the frame. With one hand behind my back, other hand holding the lead, slide the lead under the cap to touch the anode. 4 out of 5 times nothing happens if the monitor has been off for several hours (most modern monitors bleed off the excess charge when off), otherwise you will hear a small snap as it discharges.

kemical

Post by kemical »

:D ok I discharged the monitor (I think it discharged itself from being powered off).. fixed the problem also, now it is working again! There was just 1 little capacitor that needed changing.. :?
stellarola

Post by stellarola »

kemical wrote::D ok I discharged the monitor (I think it discharged itself from being powered off).. fixed the problem also, now it is working again! There was just 1 little capacitor that needed changing.. :?
How could you tell which capacitor needed to be changed? I'm just curious, because I'm about to change some caps on one of my monitors.

-Ben
elvis

Post by elvis »

stellarola wrote: How could you tell which capacitor needed to be changed? I'm just curious, because I'm about to change some caps on one of my monitors.
When caps start to die, they often buldge at the top end. Sometimes they'll even break open, and start leaking the electrolytic goo inside (usually a horrible yellow-brown "baby-poo" colour).

If you do work on a chassis for any reason, always take an extra 10 minutes or so to scan the board very closely for bulging caps. And if you replace them, make sure you use good quality ones that are rated at higher temperature levels. They only cost a few cents more than the cheapy ones, but are well worth it.

Heat and stress are the two biggest killers of caps, so if you find you're replacing them often, look for signs that some other part of the pcb is not working as it should, and consider adding some fan-forced cooling to your cab.

Be careful when replacing the really big caps on your chassis! My Kortek chassis has on big one near the mains power input. This filters the input voltage, and can often contain lethal charges even for hours/days after power off. If you do replace this guy, make sure you discharge it properly before touching it.

BadCaps.net is a good resource to help you locate bad caps, and what the best way to replace them is:
http://www.badcaps.net/

And if possible, try to have someone with you who knows what they are doing for at least the first time you play with replacing caps (or discharging monitors too). Preferably someone with much experience who's done it at least a few times before.
stellarola

Post by stellarola »

Thanks for the link Elvis. I had an extra monitor lying around that needs a new flyback, so I successfully discharged it. I used a flat head screw driver with a double sided alligator clip wire. One side of the wire attached to the flathead, the other to the monitors metal frame. I read somewhere that it's a good idea to ground out the anode, by instead of grounding to the metal frame, to ground to an electrical outlet. Here's the link http://todd1814.www3.50megs.com/capkit/capkit.htm.

I plan on replacing the caps in the monitor in my Neo29. I belive it's like a Hitachi. BTW, if anyone knows which caps think monitor needs in the Neo29, lemme know. :)