S-Video into SCART Selector

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
goz

S-Video into SCART Selector

Post by goz »

Just purchased a Bandridge 5-Way Scart Selector, which seems excellent value for the price. It has an S-Video input on the front which I wanted to try out, but when I try to send a signal through the machine it comes out all garbled (and very dark). Is there a fault somewhere in my set-up, or is it just not possible to feed a console's S-video signal into a Scart socket?

Any help gratefully received!
nmalinoski

Re: S-Video into SCART Selector

Post by nmalinoski »

Does your display definitely support S-Video over SCART? If so, are you able to manually toggle between RGB, S-Video, and Composite?
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

SCART can carry S-Video. The switch itself should absolutely be capable of routing S-Video, after all it's just Luma & Chroma on Composite & Red. No active conversion or extra wires involved. Your TV/scaler would need to support S-Video over SCART. I don't know if displays can autodect that you're routing S-Video. The RGB blanking pin can only suggest either RGB or composite. If your TV is treating it as composite you should see a b&w picture, I think. If your TV thinks it's RGB, it's going to be... red & garbled, I guess? :D I remember ages ago I had a CRT TV that could support all three and you had to switch it manually between composite, S-Video & RGB for each SCART input.
goz

Post by goz »

Ah, it may be that the TV doesn't support S-Video over SCART. It's a Sony PVM 2130QM, so a pretty old set. Some of the 2130QM's have an S-Video input on the back, but mine doesn't alas. I'll try out the set up with another PVM tonight and see if that one supports it. Thanks so much,