shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:21 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: S-Video into SCART Selector
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:54 pm 

Just purchased a Bandridge 5-Way Scart Selector, which seems excellent value for the price. It has an S-Video input on the front which I wanted to try out, but when I try to send a signal through the machine it comes out all garbled (and very dark). Is there a fault somewhere in my set-up, or is it just not possible to feed a console's S-video signal into a Scart socket?

Any help gratefully received!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: S-Video into SCART Selector
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:36 pm 

Does your display definitely support S-Video over SCART? If so, are you able to manually toggle between RGB, S-Video, and Composite?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:01 pm 

SCART can carry S-Video. The switch itself should absolutely be capable of routing S-Video, after all it's just Luma & Chroma on Composite & Red. No active conversion or extra wires involved. Your TV/scaler would need to support S-Video over SCART. I don't know if displays can autodect that you're routing S-Video. The RGB blanking pin can only suggest either RGB or composite. If your TV is treating it as composite you should see a b&w picture, I think. If your TV thinks it's RGB, it's going to be... red & garbled, I guess? :D I remember ages ago I had a CRT TV that could support all three and you had to switch it manually between composite, S-Video & RGB for each SCART input.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:14 am 

Ah, it may be that the TV doesn't support S-Video over SCART. It's a Sony PVM 2130QM, so a pretty old set. Some of the 2130QM's have an S-Video input on the back, but mine doesn't alas. I'll try out the set up with another PVM tonight and see if that one supports it. Thanks so much,

Offline Profile