shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:55 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: GSM HDTV Mode Compatibility List for NTSC U/C PS2 Games
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:44 am 

Hey, guys. I've been testing a bunch of PS2 games with GSM to see what resolutions I can force with them. I started compiling a list of my findings so I thought I'd post it here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... Rm/pubhtml

Here's the equipment I'm using:

Free MCBoot Version 1.953 and GSM Version .38 on a PS2 Memory card
SCPH-77001 PS2 console
Seiki SE40FY27 40" LED 1080p TV
Psyclone component cable and an official PlayStation component cable
All of the games on the list are NTSC U/C

List Guide:
Green Block for a resolution - Successful
Green Block for "Video Skip fix" and "Pixelated" columns - Yes
Yellow Block - The game boots but has a different problem
Red Block - Does not boot, is pixelated, or is displayed in a way that is unplayable.

Thinner Aspect Ratio - When the box is checked as green, it means that the resolution forced will be thinner than its supposed to be. 4:3 becomes something close to 2:3. This can be useful for forcing 1080i or 1080p in 4:3 games so the aspect ratio is closer to being correct once the top and bottom of the screen is stretched out.

1080i Non-interlaced is not included on the list because every game I've tested with it does not display correctly on my TV.

1080p does not run correctly on an SCPH-70012 Slim I own. It can go into 59hz, have a glitchy video signal, and major slow-down. This occurred during Star Wars Battlefront II and Stretch Panic

Just as a heads up, I am by no means an expert with this kind of stuff. I know there are other ways to play PS2 games and that there are other GSM compatibility lists. I'll be slowly filling in the rest of the list over time. I will also add games I buy in the future to the list. I hope this list is useful to those who are interested!

Last edited by SigmaShawn on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: GSM Compatibility List for NTSC U/C PS2 Games
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:02 am 

What's the point of making a list thats only sure to work for your monitor?

Are you playing on a crt via rgb, a dual res crt monitor or an LCD via component?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:21 am 

Syntax wrote:
What's the point of making a list thats only sure to work for your monitor?

Are you playing on a crt via rgb, a dual res crt monitor or an LCD via component?

I'm currently using a 1080p LED TV, and was previously using a 720p TV which have both been used for testing. This list was created just to see what resolutions can and can't be forced using similar equipment to mine listed in the first post.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:52 am 

So you are only focusing on component video then am I right?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:01 am 

Syntax wrote:
So you are only focusing on component video then am I right?

Yes

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:36 am 

hey SigmaShawn, thanks for posting your list so far. I've been thinking about doing something very similar myself for a long while, but unfortunately I just haven't had the time or opportunity to do so. but your list looks pretty awesome so far. (I found a similar list that was nowhere near as long as yours on the racket boy forums that also had some information about forced 240p compatibility, 480p patches and also a section about exploder compatibility). I think it's wise just to stick to GSM compatibility for now.

one side note though for your own personal use outside of the list making you might want to get a video processor of some type. for games like wild arms 5 in 1080p it makes them infinitely more playable because you can fix the aspect ratio problems. and make windowed games full screen again. (along with a few other useful tricks). although I'm not sure what type of aspect ratio controls your current TV has. you might look into that as some televisions have fairly comparable abilities in that regard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:14 pm 

R-Type Final works if you skip FMVs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:43 pm 

Blair wrote:
hey SigmaShawn, thanks for posting your list so far. I've been thinking about doing something very similar myself for a long while, but unfortunately I just haven't had the time or opportunity to do so. but your list looks pretty awesome so far. (I found a similar list that was nowhere near as long as yours on the racket boy forums that also had some information about forced 240p compatibility, 480p patches and also a section about exploder compatibility). I think it's wise just to stick to GSM compatibility for now.

one side note though for your own personal use outside of the list making you might want to get a video processor of some type. for games like wild arms 5 in 1080p it makes them infinitely more playable because you can fix the aspect ratio problems. and make windowed games full screen again. (along with a few other useful tricks). although I'm not sure what type of aspect ratio controls your current TV has. you might look into that as some televisions have fairly comparable abilities in that regard.

Thanks for the compliments :). Yeah, my current TV doesn't have many options. I'm definitely interested in getting a video processor or a scaler in the future, but for the right price. Then I may go back and test higher resolutions for 4:3 games

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:44 pm 

SigmaShawn wrote:
1080i Non-interlaced

You mean 1080p? lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:50 pm 

ZellSF wrote:
R-Type Final works if you skip FMVs.

Huh, I could have sworn it didn't boot for me before with video skip fix on but I just tested it again and you're right. The list has been updated.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:39 pm 

AndehX wrote:
SigmaShawn wrote:
1080i Non-interlaced

You mean 1080p? lol

Not necessarily. If "non-interlaced" in this context is similar to NTSC non-interlaced, in how 240p is 480i but only ever shows even fields or whatever, then 1080i non-interlaced would be 540p.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:41 pm 

Two things I've learned from using GSM in VGA mode with a PC CRT:

1) 1280x1024 is actually 1280x960 with small black bars, so it's a perfect 2:1 ratio from 480p. Looks really good on a PC CRT, better than 480p since it eliminates the tiny scanlines. On the CRT you can simply adjust the picture to move the black bars offscreen.

2) If a game won't work in progressive, 960i is great option. Looks just like 480i since it's simply line-doubled, but it's compatible with any CRT, and quite a few LCD's.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:57 am 

Great list.
One thing about the 'pixellation' on some titles. What's actually happening, from what I read on the GSM forums, is that you're losing half the resolution. When those games are rendered by the PS2 there is never a full frame in the back buffer. This is by design, for performance. So there's no progressive video frame for GSM to enable. So what you see is just a vertically stretched half frame, which is like looking at the game through broken glass. The only way to get a nice picture on a modern set from these games is to deinterlace them.
So on your spreadsheet I would actually mark these ones as incompatible because who wants to lose half the resolution? You'll get a much better picture from these games with a good deinterlacer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:59 am 

RocketBelt wrote:
Great list.
One thing about the 'pixellation' on some titles. What's actually happening, from what I read on the GSM forums, is that you're losing half the resolution. When those games are rendered by the PS2 there is never a full frame in the back buffer. This is by design, for performance. So there's no progressive video frame for GSM to enable. So what you see is just a vertically stretched half frame, which is like looking at the game through broken glass. The only way to get a nice picture on a modern set from these games is to deinterlace them.
So on your spreadsheet I would actually mark these ones as incompatible because who wants to lose half the resolution? You'll get a much better picture from these games with a good deinterlacer.

Thanks for the feedback and the great information. The list has been updated, so now games that are missing half of the resolution will be marked red instead of yellow.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: GSM HDTV Mode Compatibility List for NTSC U/C PS2 Games
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:51 am 

Have you also tried forcing widescreen using ps2rd and codes? Try in on something like Ridge Racer V, the results are worth the effort.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:20 am 

RocketBelt wrote:
Have you also tried forcing widescreen using ps2rd and codes? Try in on something like Ridge Racer V, the results are worth the effort.

No, I haven't. I've tried using Codebreaker to force widescreen but haven't had much luck. I'll look into PS2rd

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:26 pm 

Here are some configuration files to try.
If you use standalone PS2RD then include this in the cheats.txt file:

Code:
//--------

"Ridge Racer V /ID SLUS_200.02"
Mastercode
90294978 0C0B5740
Widescreen
20332694 43C6C000
203326B4 43C6C000
20332EC4 3F1D0364
20332F80 3F199999

If you use PS2RD built into Open PS2 Loader then save this in a file called SLUS_200.02.cht in the CHT folder
Code:
//"Ridge Racer V /ID SLUS_200.02"
Mastercode
90294978 0C0B5740
Widescreen
20332694 43C6C000
203326B4 43C6C000
20332EC4 3F1D0364
20332F80 3F199999

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:40 pm 

RocketBelt wrote:
Here are some configuration files to try.
If you use standalone PS2RD then include this in the cheats.txt file:

Code:
//--------

"Ridge Racer V /ID SLUS_200.02"
Mastercode
90294978 0C0B5740
Widescreen
20332694 43C6C000
203326B4 43C6C000
20332EC4 3F1D0364
20332F80 3F199999

How do you add a game to the list using the standalone PS2RD?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:24 pm 

There should have been a sample file called cheats.txt included with PS2RD. It goes into the same folder as PS2RD on your memory card or wherever you are running it from. Just open it with a text editor and paste that in at the bottom. If you don't have a sample cheats.txt file just create a new empty text file with that name and paste that block of code into it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:50 pm 

RocketBelt wrote:
There should have been a sample file called cheats.txt included with PS2RD. It goes into the same folder as PS2RD on your memory card or wherever you are running it from. Just open it with a text editor and paste that in at the bottom. If you don't have a sample cheats.txt file just create a new empty text file with that name and paste that block of code into it.

I think the problem is that PS2RD is only reading cheats from the Cheats.BIN file. The only time a game appears is when that file is on the USB stick

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:28 pm 

I recently tested a bunch of games with GSM and found a few good ones that work well.

480p flawlessly:
Ar Tonelico
Ar Tonelico 2
Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou
Suikoden V
Triggerheart Exelica Enhanced

1080i perfectly (games have 16:9 aspect ratio option):
Dragon Quest 8
Final Fantasy XII ZJS
Wipeout Fusion
Wipeout Pulse (PAL exclusive)

1080i (doesn't fill full width making it look only slightly stretched)
Castlevania Curse of Darkness
Final Fantasy X
Front Mission V
.Hack Infection
Suikoden 3

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:30 pm 

WMJ wrote:
1080i perfectly (games have 16:9 aspect ratio option):
Wipeout Pulse (PAL exclusive)

I've played Wipeout Pulse at 480p no problem. I may have needed to smash start to skip an intro movie, but I can't remember. Actually I recommend playing at 85hz (or whatever GSM's max refresh rate is) because the game's frame rate is unlocked, and it rarely hits 60fps, so you might as well run the max refresh rate to minimize judder.

And in regards to running other games at 1080i, I recommend running 960i if your display supports it. It's perfectly double 480i, and on my VGA CRT's it looks identical to 480i on a 15kHz CRT.

Offline Profile