My receiver won't output 240p via HDMI

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ldeveraux

My receiver won't output 240p via HDMI

Post by ldeveraux »

I have a bunch of retro systems attached with RCA/composite cables to a couple selector switches. The switches then output to my Onkyo TX-NR636 receiver's RCA inputs. The receiver upscales and outputs via HDMI to my TV. The problem lies in my receiver. Apparently, it will only accept 480i via composite input, I confirmed with Onkyo. So only the PS2, some SEGA devices, etc that natively output in 480i will display via the HDMI. All my HDMI inputs are full, so a cheap composite to HDMI converter is literally my last option.

Things I've tried:
1) My DVDO iScan Plus will accept the signal, but I believe it converts to 480p, so it doesn't display through the receiver. The was with the VGA to component cable that came with it. I also tried a VGA to composite cable which didn't work.
2) My only solution was to run the output through a composite to COAX converter, then COAX diretly to the TV. This is a terrible solution, as COAX video is not great, and it's an extra cable.
3) I have the same issue with component inputs on the receiver; My Wii and XBOX must be set to output at 480i to be upscaled from component to HDMI. Else, I just run another component cable from receiver to TV, which is the same issue as before.

Things I'm considering:
1) Framemeister, though don't know it would solve my issue. And it's expensive
2) OSSC, though same issues as Framemeister
3)Pulling one of my HDMI inputs and getting a cheap RCA to HDMI converter.
4) My old receiver (Pioneer VSX-1120) had no issues upscaling composite to HDMI; seems Onkyo had removed it from all of their lines. Didn't realize this before I bought it . I would consider returning to it or another cheap receiver if it will get me where I need to go.

Does anybody have a solution? I'm not necessarily looking to upgrade the video quality (though it would be a great added bonus!)
Fudoh

Re: My receiver won't output 240p via HDMI

Post by Fudoh »

In general you should reconsider using composite from systems that support better output options.

If you like to stay with composite and you have a good reason to run through your receiver for upscaling or processing, then an iScan Pro connected to the COMPONENT input of your receiver will work.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Fudoh wrote:In general you should reconsider using composite from systems that support better output options.

If you like to stay with composite and you have a good reason to run through your receiver for upscaling or processing, then an iScan Pro connected to the COMPONENT input of your receiver will work.
Wow, THE Fudoh, thanks for the reply! It's just that when I assembled this years ago, I went through strides getting all of my systems to output standard to composite. This wasn't a problem on my older Pioneer receiver before they removed the upscaler from composite. But the Onkyo doesn't have it, I was hoping there was an inline upscaler that exists? Or a recommendation for a receiver like the Onkyo that still has the upscaler on Composite.

I have an iScan Plus, which should be similar to the Pro, no? It outputs 480p via component. The problem is still with Onkyo which requires 480i (not at least 480i, EXACTLY 480i) on both the composite and component inputs before it can output via HDMI. So I can run the composite video through the DVDO, output component to the Onkyo, and it still doesn't work...
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Since it's so finicky with its analogue video inputs, I would recommend getting either an OSSC or a Framemeister to take over the video digitization from your receiver, depending on your budget and whether you'd prefer lagless processing or prettier deinterlacing.

With the OSSC, for example, you could connect your PS2 via component and your Sega consoles via RGB SCART (I'm assuming Saturn/Genesis/Dreamcast?), and the OSSC would feed video from those to your receiver as HDMI, avoiding that somewhat odd 480i limitation.

If you don't want to immediately spend money on a bunch of fancy cables for your consoles (which I get, but trust us when we say composite is a blurry, ugly mess), you can hook your DVDO iScan Plus into either the VGA or component inputs on the OSSC, which will let you continue to use composite and S-video for your consoles.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

nmalinoski wrote:Since it's so finicky with its analogue video inputs, I would recommend getting either an OSSC or a Framemeister to take over the video digitization from your receiver, depending on your budget and whether you'd prefer lagless processing or prettier deinterlacing.

With the OSSC, for example, you could connect your PS2 via component and your Sega consoles via RGB SCART (I'm assuming Saturn/Genesis/Dreamcast?), and the OSSC would feed video from those to your receiver as HDMI, avoiding that somewhat odd 480i limitation.

If you don't want to immediately spend money on a bunch of fancy cables for your consoles (which I get, but trust us when we say composite is a blurry, ugly mess), you can hook your DVDO iScan Plus into either the VGA or component inputs on the OSSC, which will let you continue to use composite and S-video for your consoles.
I forgot to mention that all my systems are ponied into 2x 8-way selector switches, because I have ~14 systems. They all run composite into the switch and composite out to the receiver. I set this all up maybe 6 years ago when I wasn't in the position to upgrade my receiver, nor upgrade my video quality. It seems like I should reconsider that now.

Would the FM or OSSC eliminate my problem altogether? I ask, because if I'm going to invest in one, I hope it would! I planned to keep them all composite video, but if either of these devices will provide better video and convert composite to HDMI, I would definitely look into it. $400 for the FM is a lot though. Can I get the OSSC stateside?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:I forgot to mention that all my systems are ponied into 2x 8-way selector switches, because I have ~14 systems. They all run composite into the switch and composite out to the receiver. I set this all up maybe 6 years ago when I wasn't in the position to upgrade my receiver, nor upgrade my video quality. It seems like I should reconsider that now.

Would the FM or OSSC eliminate my problem altogether? I ask, because if I'm going to invest in one, I hope it would! I planned to keep them all composite video, but if either of these devices will provide better video and convert composite to HDMI, I would definitely look into it. $400 for the FM is a lot though. Can I get the OSSC stateside?
If you reroute composite from your switches to the DVDO, then YPbPr or RGBS from the DVDO to the OSSC, that will work around the 480i-only limitation of your receiver.

I don't think either the Framemesiter nor the OSSC will actually improve video quality for you, because composite is a severely degraded signal to begin with; and these devices may actually make the problems with composite more apparent. If/when you start to get component and/or RGB SCART cables for your consoles, and perhaps one or more gcompsw or gscartsw_lite, the OSSC will be able to accommodate those improvements as you make them.

The only place I know to get a premade OSSC is VideoGamePerfection in the UK. They do ship to the US; that's how I got mine. If you mean buying one locally, I don't believe there are any domestic US manufacturers or importers, and, if there were, you'd pay a premium. Even used ones on eBay somehow end up more expensive than just buying a new one from VGP.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I have an iScan Plus, which should be similar to the Pro, no? It outputs 480p via component. The problem is still with Onkyo which requires 480i (not at least 480i, EXACTLY 480i) on both the composite and component inputs before it can output via HDMI. So I can run the composite video through the DVDO, output component to the Onkyo, and it still doesn't work...
have you actually tried that ?

I don't think the Onkyo is limited to 480i on the component input. I can understand that it won't accept 240p on composite (kinda non-standard signal), but I think 480p through component should work. You have to make sure the toggle switch on the back of the iScan is set to YPrPb and not RGB.

And if it doesn't you can still get a component to HDMI converter for the iScan at $20-30. That's likely the better option than going OSSC or FM as long as you don't want to upgrade from composite.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

One thing that nobody here has mentioned yet is that the OSSC does not even support composite video. The FM would certainly solve your compatibility problems with 240p and can save you from poor deinterlacing or excessively laggy scaling / processing, but it'll still look quite poor. Garbage in, garbage out :/
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Fudoh wrote:
have you actually tried that ?
I have tried it. SNES or NES composite > iScan component > Onkyo gives a massive band across the TV saying "please set your source device output resolution to 480i". All this because Onkyo thought nobody used the upscaler anymore, so they were cheap and eliminated it. Sure wish I'd known when I bought it!
I don't think the Onkyo is limited to 480i on the component input. I can understand that it won't accept 240p on composite (kinda non-standard signal), but I think 480p through component should work. You have to make sure the toggle switch on the back of the iScan is set to YPrPb and not RGB.

And if it doesn't you can still get a component to HDMI converter for the iScan at $20-30. That's likely the better option than going OSSC or FM as long as you don't want to upgrade from composite.
Would a VGA to HDMI cable work for direct output from the DVDO to the Onkyo?

Additionally, I bought a powered monoprice component to composite converter from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GUSJ6W

This seemed to convert the SNES to 480i and I was able to go directly into the Onkyo composite. I'll try a host of other things in the meantime to shore it up!

With that all being said, you know my situation currently. What should I do to really upgrade my video on all of my game systems? Would it be SCART cable for each > gscartsw_lite > FM > HDMI input on Onkyo? I know you literally wrote the guide on it, so I was looking for the ultimate setup in your opinion!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I have tried it...
amazing what unbelivable shit Onkyo produces :mrgreen:
Would a VGA to HDMI cable work for direct output from the DVDO to the Onkyo?
you need an active converter and component to HDMI is better than VGA to HDMI.
This seemed to convert the SNES to 480i and I was able to go directly into the Onkyo composite. I'll try a host of other things in the meantime to shore it up!
but you end up with double the processing time. First the iscan deinterlaces to 480p, then the new converter re-interlaces and then the Onkyo deinterlaces again.

If you don't mind quality, stick with composite on your sources, but still get that component to HDMI converter.
What should I do to really upgrade my video on all of my game systems? Would it be SCART cable for each > gscartsw_lite > FM > HDMI input on Onkyo?
yes, but I would probably still eliminate the Onkyo and connect the FM directly to your TV. If you need sound on the receiver, you can use a HDMI splitter and whatever pleases you (HDMI to HDMI + SPDIF is nice option as it leaves your HDMI ports on the Onkyo free).
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ASDR wrote:One thing that nobody here has mentioned yet is that the OSSC does not even support composite video. The FM would certainly solve your compatibility problems with 240p and can save you from poor deinterlacing or excessively laggy scaling / processing, but it'll still look quite poor. Garbage in, garbage out :/
It hasn't been mentioned because it doesn't matter; since he already has a DVDO iScan Plus, he can use that to add composite and S-Video compatibility to the OSSC.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Fudoh wrote:
but you end up with double the processing time. First the iscan deinterlaces to 480p, then the new converter re-interlaces and then the Onkyo deinterlaces again.

If you don't mind quality, stick with composite on your sources, but still get that component to HDMI converter.
I received a composite to HDMI converter which seems to work well for my systems. Again, it's a monoprice $50 deal, but quality seems OK. Is this worse/better than iScan>component to HDMI converter? It seems like I could eliminate the iScan here...
Fudoh wrote:
What should I do to really upgrade my video on all of my game systems? Would it be SCART cable for each > gscartsw_lite > FM > HDMI input on Onkyo?
yes, but I would probably still eliminate the Onkyo and connect the FM directly to your TV. If you need sound on the receiver, you can use a HDMI splitter and whatever pleases you (HDMI to HDMI + SPDIF is nice option as it leaves your HDMI ports on the Onkyo free).
So I need SCART cables for each system? Then a couple gscartsw_lite to use as selector switches? Where's the best website to arrange all that? Would I still need the FM, or would the OSSC work just as well in this instance? And I have no problem porting the HDMI video directly to the TV, as long as I can still process the audio through the Onkyo
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

nmalinoski wrote:
ASDR wrote:One thing that nobody here has mentioned yet is that the OSSC does not even support composite video. The FM would certainly solve your compatibility problems with 240p and can save you from poor deinterlacing or excessively laggy scaling / processing, but it'll still look quite poor. Garbage in, garbage out :/
It hasn't been mentioned because it doesn't matter; since he already has a DVDO iScan Plus, he can use that to add composite and S-Video compatibility to the OSSC.
Didn't know this unit can do analog->analog, my bad!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:So I need SCART cables for each system? Then a couple gscartsw_lite to use as selector switches? Where's the best website to arrange all that? Would I still need the FM, or would the OSSC work just as well in this instance? And I have no problem porting the HDMI video directly to the TV, as long as I can still process the audio through the Onkyo
It really depends on the system. Some consoles, like the PlayStation, SNES, and Genesis, support RGB natively, and, yes, you would just need to get SCART cables for those. Some older consoles, like the NES and Atari 2600, as well as the N64, require modification to output RGB. For some, namely the PlayStation 2, original Xbox, and Wii, it's easier to use YPbPr component cables (PS2 switches to RGsB for progressive resolutions, which the gscartsw_lite doesn't handle). To get RGBS out of the Dreamcast, you'll probably need a Behar Bros. Toro and a shielded male-to-male SCART cable.

There really won't be one single site for your needs. You can get the OSSC at VGP as I mentioned before; gscartsw_lite and gcompsw can be purchased at gretrostuff.com; cables can be purchased from retro-access.com, retrogamingcables.co.uk, thefoo.83 on eBay, and probably a few other places; and mod installation can be purchased from a number of members of this forum.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

The amount of knowledge required to hook up each console in the ideal way is pretty staggering, but do you know about RetroRGB and the My Life In Gaming YouTube channel?

http://retrorgb.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtTM7nU9SMA

Both of these resources are absolutely fantastic and they tell you all about your options regarding consoles mods, cables, switches, scalers etc.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I read through almost all of the RetroRGB guide. Even though I have everything setup now, in the near future I'll want to upgrade quality. Here's my plan moving forward:

1) Figure out how to output all consoles RGB (HDMI doesn't need this, correct?)
2) Buy a Crosspoint big enough to accommodate all my systems. Is it possible to use 2x 1616 units instead of 1x 3216?
3) Buy all necessary cables from retro-access.com. As best I can tell, these would all output BNC.
4) Assemble and pray!

To me, the Crosspoint seems like a better option than gscartsw. I think getting a large capacity Crosspoint switch and going RGB/BNC is easier/cheaper than multiple gscartsw units and SCART cables. If my opinion is wrong, please correct me! Will I still need to modify some of my consoles to output RGB, or will the cables from retro-access.com do that for me?
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

ldeveraux wrote:Will I still need to modify some of my consoles to output RGB, or will the cables from retro-access.com do that for me?
If you don't know the answer to that question you clearly did not check out RetroRGB.com and MyLifeInGaming :D This is covered in-depth by both.

Are you sure going BNC is cheap? A BNC cable from RetroAccess is >50 bucks (x14 consoles or how many did you have?). I can recommend the Bandridge SVB-7725 SCART switch. It's dirt cheap, transparent to the signal even if you daisy chain them and it has none of the compatibility problems of active switches.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

ASDR wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:Will I still need to modify some of my consoles to output RGB, or will the cables from retro-access.com do that for me?
If you don't know the answer to that question you clearly did not check out RetroRGB.com and MyLifeInGaming :D This is covered in-depth by both.
I read it, I just hoped I wouldn't have to modify them. Wishful thinking, it's a lot of work.
Are you sure going BNC is cheap? A BNC cable from RetroAccess is >50 bucks (x14 consoles or how many did you have?). I can recommend the Bandridge SVB-7725 SCART switch. It's dirt cheap, transparent to the signal even if you daisy chain them and it has none of the compatibility problems of active switches.
I couldn't find prices for retro-access' BNC cables; I assumed they were cheaper. If I daisy chain SCART switches, it would have to be in parallel, not series. Seemed hackier to me.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

make a list of your systems and start by determining which ones can output RGB out of the box and just require you to get a proper cable for them (e.g. Genesis, SNES, Playstation 1/2). Start with these.

RGB mods are required for Turbo Grafx/PCE, NES, N64. N64 might not be worth the effort. S-Video output from the system is rather close to stock RGB. For the NES there are HDMI-enabled clones like the RetroUSB AVS available, which might be a better option tha modifying your existing NES.

And don't think about BNC. Definitely more expensive and it requires some additional consideration (special sync type required to run a signal through an Extron Crosspoint).
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Fudoh wrote:make a list of your systems and start by determining which ones can output RGB out of the box and just require you to get a proper cable for them (e.g. Genesis, SNES, Playstation 1/2). Start with these.

RGB mods are required for Turbo Grafx/PCE, NES, N64. N64 might not be worth the effort. S-Video output from the system is rather close to stock RGB. For the NES there are HDMI-enabled clones like the RetroUSB AVS available, which might be a better option tha modifying your existing NES.

And don't think about BNC. Definitely more expensive and it requires some additional consideration (special sync type required to run a signal through an Extron Crosspoint).
OK, this is all getting very complicated, more than I thought it would be! I guess in the end I need to:
1) get a bunch of gscartsw_lite
2) get SCART cables for all ~15 systems
3) do the RGB mods on the systems that don't natively support it

So I wouldn't need the OSSC or FM in this case?

As an aside, I used the Monoprice 109994 composite>HDMI adapter and the picture is quite clear. However, the picture is off-center and there are green bars on the edge. Maybe the converter is shifting the picture and putting green in its place? Here's a link to the silly image:
https://imgur.com/a/SErUP
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Of course it's the Onkyo's fault again! Many people have complained about using any converter and the Onkyo inserting that green bar. If I bypass the receiver, it should work, so I'm going to get an HDMI audio stripper and route it directly into the TV. Just keeps getting better...
http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.ph ... 09&start=0
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I'm steering away from RGB at the moment. Its expensive and often the results are not as expected.

I like the approach where you have an HDMI output on each console. Whilst possibly more expensive and requiring new hardware the results are always as you would expect them to be.

Even my Super Famicom output is dodgy. After buying a console boxed and cables and everything, the screen shows all graphics in red like a virtual boy unless you push really hard into the AV slot. Move the console by accident and it goes red again. Probably a dodgy connection. Will pick up a cheapish SFC in Japan next month. If that fails I'm done with RGB. I've spent so much money on disappointing results and its a gold mine for modders, cable sellers alone, let alone the upscaling devices and scart switchers. You'd spent the best part of a grand doing half of 15 consoles.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Fudoh wrote:
Is it better to split the audio at the HDMI level, or at the composite level, before it gets to the splitter? Setup currently has composite video > HDMI converter to TV. But I tested the audio for grins and for some reason, there was no HDMI audio. I split the composite audio directly to the Onkyo which seems to work, not sure if there is lag though. Keep in mind, I still have no Framemeister here.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

In the end, I ended up buying an OSSC anyway to run everything through. While not necessarily to improve the color/quality, it won't have the lag that my various cheaper converters did. We'll see how it works out once it arrives!
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

ldeveraux wrote:In the end, I ended up buying an OSSC anyway to run everything through. While not necessarily to improve the color/quality, it won't have the lag that my various cheaper converters did. We'll see how it works out once it arrives!
A smart move. I used to own an Onkyo 636 and it's pretty garbage in terms of video scaler/options. The bad news is that the Onkyo didn't like the OSSC either! So I had to run the HDMI directly to the screen, then have the HDMI audio go down back to the reciever through ARC. ARC on the Onkyo can be a bit finicky so good luck!

BTW I have two Denons X4300H, and X6300H that love the OSSC and pass the signals without issue. Food for thought.
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Bahn Yuki wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:In the end, I ended up buying an OSSC anyway to run everything through. While not necessarily to improve the color/quality, it won't have the lag that my various cheaper converters did. We'll see how it works out once it arrives!
A smart move. I used to own an Onkyo 636 and it's pretty garbage in terms of video scaler/options. The bad news is that the Onkyo didn't like the OSSC either! So I had to run the HDMI directly to the screen, then have the HDMI audio go down back to the reciever through ARC. ARC on the Onkyo can be a bit finicky so good luck!

BTW I have two Denons X4300H, and X6300H that love the OSSC and pass the signals without issue. Food for thought.
Wow, once again Onkyo screws you. What issue existed exactly between the 636 and the OSSC that didn't work out of the box? The video didn't look right, so you had to go directly to the screen?

And this is my secondary TV, I'm not trying to spend $1000+ for a receiver! Though Denons certainly are great.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

If you just want to use the receiver for audio just run the audio out of the console cables into a switch and run those into the receiver.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Bahn Yuki wrote:

What inputs did you have going into the OSSC? Right now I have everything output to composite, but the OSSC only accepts VGA, SCART, or component. I realize the input needs to be RGB, so I guess that's where my issue is. I tried going composite > iScan Plus > OSSC > TV but the iScan doesn't want to output the NES, among other consoles. Plus, I can't set the iScan output to RGB over component, and the OSSC to input RGB over component and see asignal. Now trying to figure out how to composite > OSSC !!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:What inputs did you have going into the OSSC? Right now I have everything output to composite, but the OSSC only accepts VGA, SCART, or component. I realize the input needs to be RGB, so I guess that's where my issue is. I tried going composite > iScan Plus > OSSC > TV but the iScan doesn't want to output the NES, among other consoles. Plus, I can't set the iScan output to RGB over component, and the OSSC to input RGB over component and see asignal. Now trying to figure out how to composite > OSSC !!
I think your iScan Plus will only output RGBS, and you'd need RGsB to connect it to the component input on the OSSC (because there's no fourth line for sync); however, if I remember correctly, the iScan Plus can output to YPbPr component (right?), so why not use that instead of RGB?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Seems like an XRGB 2 or 2 plus and a cheap chinese VGA to HDMI would have been a better quick and dirty solution to this.
We apologise for the inconvenience