Keene RGB to S-Video converter?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Michael Ikonomidis

Keene RGB to S-Video converter?

Post by Michael Ikonomidis »

Anyone tried these? Thinking of using it for my A-series BVM for consoles that won't sync w/ the BKM-68x

https://www.ebay.com/itm/361691545830?_ ... .S1.R1.TR2
KevinDDR

Re: Keene RGB to S-Video converter?

Post by KevinDDR »

I mean...couldn't you just use an S-Video cable? This is not going to produce a better image.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

I'm guessing the OP would use it for consoles that don't natively support S-Video, such as the Neo-Geo, Genesis, and RGB modded PC Engine.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

cyborc wrote:I'm guessing the OP would use it for consoles that don't natively support S-Video, such as the Neo-Geo, Genesis, and RGB modded PC Engine.
It would be cheaper to svideo mod a PCE. PCEFX user KeithCourage offers this, not sure who else.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

This is the one that multiple AV people (on a couple different AV-specific forums) recommended back in the day:
http://www.js-technology.com/store/prod ... product=17

I also found this one from ShinyBow (which I LOVE my SB-2840 RGBS to YPbPr/Component converter from them), but I haven't been able to find much of any feedback from actual users if it works well:
http://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_info ... cts_id=226

There's one made by a once-reputable Arcade-centric shop (Jrok) as well, but I've literally tried to contact them way more than 5 times (from several email addresses) during the last year or so and they've never gotten back to me....

On a side note, if anybody knows a good way to go from S-Video to RGBS - please let me know! (have a couple S-Video only systems, and my setup is all RGBS, and can't easily source S-Video boards for these BVM's...)
strygo

Post by strygo »

I've not used that specific Shinybow, but every other item I've gotten from them works perfectly: 1:8 SCART splitter, RGB->YUV converter, 8:8 component splitter. ANI-AV also has great customer support in my experience.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Dochartaigh wrote:On a side note, if anybody knows a good way to go from S-Video to RGBS - please let me know! (have a couple S-Video only systems, and my setup is all RGBS, and can't easily source S-Video boards for these BVM's...)
Not sure how keen you are on using a full blown video processor but something like the VP30 can output to ypbpr through the analog out on the back.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I remember reading on Fudoh's site that some chinese Lenkeng machines were actually pretty good for transcoding. You'd have to double check though, as I'm not sure there was one that did S-video to RGB
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Michael Ikonomidis

Thanks for the replies. As for why I want this, here is my setup:

-> BVM A20 monitor with BKM 68x RGB input card, and Composite/S-Video input card.
-> Neo Geo AES
-> Turbo Grafx 16
-> SNES
-> Genesis
-> Altered Beast Arcade PCB
(possibly more/different consoles in future)

I have SCART cables for all of these, running through a Shinybow SCART switchbox that has two SCART outputs. The first SCART output goes to the BKM68x card.

For consoles that do not sync with BKM 68x card (currently only Neo Geo AES), the second SCART output would to connect to the SCART to S-Video converter, and then into the S-Video input on the monitor.

But I'm open to others ideas, if anyone has suggestions.
Michael Ikonomidis

Dochartaigh wrote:
There's one made by a once-reputable Arcade-centric shop (Jrok) as well, but I've literally tried to contact them way more than 5 times (from several email addresses) during the last year or so and they've never gotten back to me....
Yeah I considered that as well, and I too tried contacting them with no response. But it's basically just a PCB, and it was pretty expensive. For a bit more I can get something with an actual SCART connector on it, and housed inside a nice shell / box.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Yeah, that'd be the JROK v3.1 RGB to S-Video transcoder pcb setup -- I do recall that JROK also made another RGB to S-Video out & Component Video out transcoder pcb setup as well.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
PeterWar

Post by PeterWar »

Sorry to revive this old post, but did the rgb to svideo converter work? Also, what about input lag? I’m considering the same option for my bvm-a20f1m and neo geo aes and megadrive.
Michael Ikonomidis

Oddly enough, NO running the Neo Geo from RGB into S-Video did not work. The image would flicker a bit.

But I ended up selling the BKM-68x because S-Video looks really good on these monitors. The difference is minimal and not worth the cost of the card IMO.
d32xing

Post by d32xing »

I couldn't get the AD725 circuit to work, so I ended up building a RGB to YPbPr circuit and that worked.