shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:11 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Post subject: Re: WiiDual / GCVideo discussion
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:38 pm 

splits wrote:
vol.2 wrote:
If you have an oscilloscope, you could put it in video mode and trace the path back to see what's what. If you don't, I'm not sure what you could do.

I don't have one with enough bandwidth to see composite video signals, unfortunately. Maybe I should think about getting one...

If you have a function generator, even a cheap one, you could try to see if there is a break in continuity on the path somewhere between the composite video out pin on the AV chip to the multiout. That could tell you if there is an open component or broken trace. Be careful not to put any voltage on any pin above it's maximum rated input. check datasheets.

Also, go back and check continuity on all of your solder joints, especially the ribbon cables. They look good visually, but you never know.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:27 pm 

splits wrote:
I have a question for experienced WiiDual installers--has any one else lost composite video after an install (excluding cases where composite was disabled for csync)?

I installed a WiiDual 1.1 in a Japanese 06 Wii today, and I had hoped to keep both composite video and D-terminal video functional. I mostly wanted WiiDual for HDMI output.

This is my install.

When I tested my install, HDMI video worked fine. D-terminal video worked fine (before I removed Q7 and R55). However, I have no composite video. I kept the components along the path to composite out that are removed when using composite csync, and did not short any jumpers initially.

I later wondered if perhaps "No Where (Only Component Video and RGsB will work) - Do NOT short anything" on the install page could mean that if no jumper is shorted, then composite video will not work, so I removed Q7 and R55 and shorted jumpers 1 and 2. However, this brought no change.

I just see a brief white flash over composite, then nothing.

I think my install is clean, so I am not sure what may be going on.

Edit: my WiiDual is from the most recent batch, so I think it has FW 3.0e.

Any ideas? Is there a firmware setting I am missing perhaps?

On a related note: is s-video necessarily lost when using the WiiDual? There is a comment on the v2 YouTube install video where someone asks "I hope someone can help me with a question, if I plan on using HD RETROVISION Wii YPbPr Component Cable and hdmi would I still need to remove components or can I just install the mod. And if so which ones (the same that are remove here? Or less?)" and citrus300pri replies "No components would need to be removed if you only plan to use YPbPr."

So if I wanted to use YPbPr over a D-terminal cable, I could also leave those components in? And I would still have s-video?

There is a setting in the menu you have to turn off. IIRC its "Allow 480p Mode"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:57 am 

mickcris wrote:
There is a setting in the menu you have to turn off. IIRC its "Allow 480p Mode"

This was the issue. I had adjusted the settings after I first booted up over HDMI.

Thank you very much. Most of the OSD settings are self-explanatory, but others, like this one, were not clear to me.

Is there any central location for a description of the OSD menu for GC Video/WiiDual installs?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:00 am 

vol.2 wrote:
If you have a function generator, even a cheap one, you could try to see if there is a break in continuity on the path somewhere between the composite video out pin on the AV chip to the multiout. That could tell you if there is an open component or broken trace. Be careful not to put any voltage on any pin above it's maximum rated input. check datasheets.

Good suggestion. Turns out my issue was a firmware setting, but had that not worked this was my next course of action (I closed up the system and was trying to avoid opening it back up).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:47 am 

splits wrote:
Is there any central location for a description of the OSD menu for GC Video/WiiDual installs?

There is a README in the original sources.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:53 pm 

Unseen wrote:
There is a README in the original sources.

Thanks. I thought I had seen that before, but lost track of it, and hadn't clicked through all the subdirectories.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:05 pm 

newbie here, so this is an hdmi mod for the wii, right?

if this mod was performed on the gc, would gc games finally look the same as in the wii?

cheers @citrus3000psi

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:20 pm 

Kyusha wrote:
so this is an hdmi mod for the wii, right?

Yes, but it's not made anymore. There will eventually be a WiiDigital that you can follow. It might be some time before it's released. (over a year)

Quote:
if this mod was performed on the gc, would gc games finally look the same as in the wii?

AFAIK, most people either prefer GC video output over the Wii playing a GC game OR believe that they are pretty much the same. Most people who did the GC Dual (the GC version of this mod) did so for the HDMI output and some extra firmware options. Also, it's a popular mod for people running swiss on a GC so you do extra stuff. I believe that GBA emulation is a major target for this, but I don't do it.

Therefore it's difficult to answer your second question, because it doesn't make much sense in the context. In general, if this mod is done for image quality improvement (as opposed to just HDMI digital 480p out of the console) it's generally done to the Wii in order to make the Wii video output better (because it's worse than the GC in 480p).

IAC, the mod is basically over from an availability perspective, so it's not a solution for you either way. Perhaps I misunderstood your question and someone else will be able to help, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree or you're simply under the wrong impression about GC vs Wii video quality in general.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:14 pm 

When it comes to GameCube games there's almost no question; I prefer the original console. If you buy a Carby, install the latest firmware, and boot your games through Swiss then it's the best those games have ever looked on original hardware, IMO. Nintendont and Devolution can improve performance and enable other cool features on the Wii or WiiU, but the problem is that the Wii's output is still subject to Nintendo's aggressive softening filters—even when you have a WiiDual installed. You can disable that filtration on a GameCube in Swiss, but to the best of my knowledge no one has taken the time to write a similar piece of software for the Wii. It's a crying shame—the Wii's library is full of incredible titles, but they've all had a thick coat of vaseline smeared over them. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:40 pm 

vol.2 wrote:
Kyusha wrote:
so this is an hdmi mod for the wii, right?

Yes, but it's not made anymore. There will eventually be a WiiDigital that you can follow. It might be some time before it's released. (over a year)

Quote:

AFAIK, most people either prefer GC video output over the Wii playing a GC game OR believe that they are pretty much the same. Most people who did the GC Dual (the GC version of this mod) did so for the HDMI output and some extra firmware options. Also, it's a popular mod for people running swiss on a GC so you do extra stuff. I believe that GBA emulation is a major target for this, but I don't do it.

Therefore it's difficult to answer your second question, because it doesn't make much sense in the context. In general, if this mod is done for image quality improvement (as opposed to just HDMI digital 480p out of the console) it's generally done to the Wii in order to make the Wii video output better (because it's worse than the GC in 480p).

IAC, the mod is basically over from an availability perspective, so it's not a solution for you either way. Perhaps I misunderstood your question and someone else will be able to help, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree or you're simply under the wrong impression about GC vs Wii video quality in general.

sorry, english aint my first language so perhaps there was some kind of malfunction

i know the gc outputs a better video quality when playing gc videos than wii does, so, would this mod essentially "unify" gc quality games?

im new to modding so i guess this is like a ps1 digital mod, right? is the new mod better than the old one?

thanks for replying, this aint my first time posting so i appreciate it

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:47 pm 

Drunk_Caterpillar wrote:
When it comes to GameCube games there's almost no question; I prefer the original console. If you buy a Carby, install the latest firmware, and boot your games through Swiss then it's the best those games have ever looked on original hardware, IMO. Nintendont and Devolution can improve performance and enable other cool features on the Wii or WiiU, but the problem is that the Wii's output is still subject to Nintendo's aggressive softening filters—even when you have a WiiDual installed. You can disable that filtration on a GameCube in Swiss, but to the best of my knowledge no one has taken the time to write a similar piece of software for the Wii. It's a crying shame—the Wii's library is full of incredible titles, but they've all had a thick coat of vaseline smeared over them. :(

yeah, im aware of it, im essentially asking if this wii mod would make a gc useless (as far as video quality goes) other than for playing game boy titles :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:41 am 

Kyusha wrote:
i know the gc outputs a better video quality when playing gc videos than wii does, so, would this mod essentially "unify" gc quality games?

im new to modding so i guess this is like a ps1 digital mod, right? is the new mod better than the old one?

Ok. No worries. We are an international forum here, so all trying to understand each other.

I think what you want to know is "Does WiiDual give you the same quality for GC games as a regular GC console."

The answer is, that depends on who you ask. I think most people agree that WiiDual with the latest firmware is going to give you equal to GC video output for RGB and it should be identical to the GC Dual mod video output.

Some people seem to have a preference for the original console, I don't. I prefer my WiiDual modded Wii because it plays both and I believe it looks at least as good(if not better) than a GC.

The Wii Digital is "like" the Playstation Digital in that it is made by the same person. The concept is the same. They will take the video from the original unit and output over HDMI.

Again, you should know that WiiDual and GCDual are no longer available and not made anymore. Wii Digital is not yet finished and it may be a very long time before this will come out. It's hard to say.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:56 am 

vol.2 wrote:
Kyusha wrote:

Ok. No worries. We are an international forum here, so all trying to understand each other.

I think what you want to know is "Does WiiDual give you the same quality for GC games as a regular GC console."

The answer is, that depends on who you ask. I think most people agree that WiiDual with the latest firmware is going to give you equal to GC video output for RGB and it should be identical to the GC Dual mod video output.

Some people seem to have a preference for the original console, I don't. I prefer my WiiDual modded Wii because it plays both and I believe it looks at least as good(if not better) than a GC.

The Wii Digital is "like" the Playstation Digital in that it is made by the same person. The concept is the same. They will take the video from the original unit and output over HDMI.

Again, you should know that WiiDual and GCDual are no longer available and not made anymore. Wii Digital is not yet finished and it may be a very long time before this will come out. It's hard to say.

i see, thank you very much, you summed it perfectly :) it will be cool to only carry a wii around and not both systems anymore once the wii digital comes out, now you said that the creator of the psx digital its the same, isnt he working on ps2 digital as well? on which other systems is he working on?

sorry of the offtopic

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17