WiiDual / GCVideo discussion

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Link83

Re: WiiDual / GCVideo discussion

Post by Link83 »

vol.2 wrote:I haven't put my WiiDual back together in it's case yet because I was thinking there might be another firmware update.

Is it possible there will be, or should I just go ahead and put the thing back in it's case already?

Thanks
The latest GCVideo 3.0e update was released just last week and supports software updates using .dol files (Assuming you have a way of running homebrew) So if you have already updated to Dan's WiiDual 3.0e release using an external programmer, then there probably isn't much of a reason to keep your system disassembled.
Last edited by Link83 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Link83 wrote:
vol.2 wrote:I haven't put my WiiDual back together in it's case yet because I was thinking there might be another firmware update.

Is it possible there will be, or should I just go ahead and put the thing back in it's case already?

Thanks
The latest GCVideo 3.0e update was released just last week and supports software updates using .dol files (Assuming you have a way of running homebrew) So if you have already updated to Dan's WiiDual 3.0e release using an external programmer, then there probably isn't much of a reason reason to keep your system disassembled.
No, I haven't done that update. Thanks for telling me. This is basically what I've been waiting for. So, basically, after this update, I can just button it up and any future ones I can do with an SD card, right?

Also, on another subject, I am going to re-enable my composite video, but I forgot the value of the components that were on there. It looks like there are three.
Spoiler
I've got a limited stock of various components, so I may not be able to get it exactly. Can anyone tell me the value, and how important it is to get it exact?
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

So apparently pre-orders for the final batch of WiiDuals went live last week. The WiiDual is going to be retired in favor of the WiiDigital. Dan said the WiiDigital will be able to upscale the digital signal to 1080p. Does anyone know if the WiiDigital will still have analog RGBS output? I wonder when the WiiDigital will be released.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

GeneraLight wrote:So apparently pre-orders for the final batch of WiiDuals went live last week. The WiiDual is going to be retired in favor of the WiiDigital. Dan said the WiiDigital will be able to upscale the digital signal to 1080p. Does anyone know if the WiiDigital will still have analog RGBS output? I wonder when the WiiDigital will be released.
Going by the name, I'm guessing it won't have analog outputs. However, I imagine it will be trivial to convert the digital output to analogue with a simple DAC, just like people often do to get analog out of the MiSTer's direct video HDMI output, or from a Raspberry Pi. HDMI can perfectly pass digital 480i (and 240p) that can be converted by a DAC and used on an SDTV, so even those would be covered by this all-digital solution.

Even dual output for streamers and such can be preserved by adding a powered HDMI switch box with dual outputs. edit: actually this may not necessarily be the case if the firmware will switch to a "direct video" kind of output specifically meant to be converted to analog as to produce the exact pixel clock that the original analogue output would have produced, as opposed to a standardized SD analogue output.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

fernan1234 wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:So apparently pre-orders for the final batch of WiiDuals went live last week. The WiiDual is going to be retired in favor of the WiiDigital. Dan said the WiiDigital will be able to upscale the digital signal to 1080p. Does anyone know if the WiiDigital will still have analog RGBS output? I wonder when the WiiDigital will be released.
Going by the name, I'm guessing it won't have analog outputs. However, I imagine it will be trivial to convert the digital output to analogue with a simple DAC, just like people often do to get analog out of the MiSTer's direct video HDMI output, or from a Raspberry Pi. HDMI can perfectly pass digital 480i (and 240p) that can be converted by a DAC and used on an SDTV, so even those would be covered by this all-digital solution.

Even dual output for streamers and such can be preserved by adding a powered HDMI switch box with dual outputs. edit: actually this may not necessarily be the case if the firmware will switch to a "direct video" kind of output specifically meant to be converted to analog as to produce the exact pixel clock that the original analogue output would have produced, as opposed to a standardized SD analogue output.
Apparently the switch to WiiDigital is because Dan is switching all of his products to xDigital.

https://twitter.com/citrus3000psi/statu ... 4123594752
strayan

Post by strayan »

GeneraLight wrote:Apparently the switch to WiiDigital is because Dan is switching all of his products to xDigital.

Unfortunately though:

https://twitter.com/citrus3000psi/statu ... 93824?s=20
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

strayan wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:Apparently the switch to WiiDigital is because Dan is switching all of his products to xDigital.

Unfortunately though:

Yeah, unfortunately the WiiDigital project has been postponed indefinitely until further notice. citrus3000psi and chrisz2600 are focusing all their efforts on developing the PS1Digital, PS2Digital and XBoxDigital right now. For all we know, it could be years (late 2021 - 2022+) before the WiiDigital is released.

https://twitter.com/citrus3000psi/statu ... 0253030401
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

GeneraLight wrote:are focusing all their efforts on developing the PS1Digital, PS2Digital and XBoxDigital right now.
I thought the whole push behind a Wii FPGA solution was predicated on the sub-par component output and that all of the aforementioned systems have excellent native RGB out-of-the box. What's the use-case for a PS2Digital when you already have stellar RGB and equally high quality upscaling options?
Arthrimus

Post by Arthrimus »

vol.2 wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:are focusing all their efforts on developing the PS1Digital, PS2Digital and XBoxDigital right now.
I thought the whole push behind a Wii FPGA solution was predicated on the sub-par component output and that all of the aforementioned systems have excellent native RGB out-of-the box. What's the use-case for a PS2Digital when you already have stellar RGB and equally high quality upscaling options?
The best use case for the PS2 Digital is that most PS2 games are 480i only, and scalers with excellent low latency motion adaptive deinterlacing are few and far between.
plus ça change,
plus c'est la même chose,
The more that things change,
The more they stay the same.- RUSH- Circumstances

I install and sell mods at arthrimus.com | SNES RGB Bypass+Dejitter available now! | Watch me live stream my work on YouTube
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

vol.2 wrote:
Digital HDMI output, obviously. The OG XBox has terrible RGB image quality too, and even the PS1 and PS2's RGB output aren't 100% perfect. These mods could improve it, even if just by 1%.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Hmmm, I always figured that when the OSSC Pro finally dropped, HDMI mods would take off for these older systems, but most HDMI mods in development these days feature 1080p upscaling built-in, so the OSSC isn't really needed.

Considering the cost, I don't think I'd personally use HDMI for 240p systems with already good-looking RGB outputs, but it's appealing for 480i/p sixth-gen consoles with either poor quality output (Wii, Gamecube if you didn't want to spend an arm and a leg previously) or digital audio already available (Xbox, PS2- get rid of the extra optical cable and have it all running as HDMI).
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Arthrimus wrote: scalers with excellent low latency motion adaptive deinterlacing are few and far between.
so true. i was just expecting xDigital stuff to be line-doublers. if it's something on the order of the xrgb mini's 480i->1080p, then it would start looking a lot more attractive.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

vol.2 wrote:
Arthrimus wrote: scalers with excellent low latency motion adaptive deinterlacing are few and far between.
so true. i was just expecting xDigital stuff to be line-doublers. if it's something on the order of the xrgb mini's 480i->1080p, then it would start looking a lot more attractive.
If I'm remembering right they made it clear that at least the PS2 Digital would offer a lot of deinterlacing options.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Arthrimus

Post by Arthrimus »

bobrocks95 wrote:
vol.2 wrote:
If I'm remembering right they made it clear that at least the PS2 Digital would offer a lot of deinterlacing options.
Yes they did. The PS1 and PS2 Digital products will share the same base hardware and firmware so it looks like they are getting all of the basic functions working so they can release the PS1 Digital, then after that they will focus on PS2 related priorities like advanced deinterlacing modes.
plus ça change,

I install and sell mods at arthrimus.com | SNES RGB Bypass+Dejitter available now! | Watch me live stream my work on YouTube
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Arthrimus wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:
vol.2 wrote:so true. i was just expecting xDigital stuff to be line-doublers. if it's something on the order of the xrgb mini's 480i->1080p, then it would start looking a lot more attractive.
Yes they did. The PS1 and PS2 Digital products will share the same base hardware and firmware so it looks like they are getting all of the basic functions working so they can release the PS1 Digital, then after that they will focus on PS2 related priorities like advanced deinterlacing modes.
Sounds nice, that way they could include simple bob deinterlacing on the PS1Digital initially, then update it after the PS2Digital has been developed with better deinterlacing options.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

What I would really love is if the PS2Digital was released with software support for PS1 game loading from HDD. The current support with popstarter is pretty bad, and seems more or less abandoned.

I wonder if there's a hard mod that can be incorporated that makes it a non-issue?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

vol.2 wrote:What I would really love is if the PS2Digital was released with software support for PS1 game loading from HDD. The current support with popstarter is pretty bad, and seems more or less abandoned.

I wonder if there's a hard mod that can be incorporated that makes it a non-issue?
nothing that would not be a massive, separate undertaking

essentially the only way to accomplish what you want would be a true ODE for the ps2
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

maxtherabbit wrote: nothing that would not be a massive, separate undertaking
a disembodied plastic tiger head can dream, can't he?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Arthrimus wrote:
vol.2 wrote:
The best use case for the PS2 Digital is that most PS2 games are 480i only, and scalers with excellent low latency motion adaptive deinterlacing are few and far between.
I figure there are bound to be a number of games that render in 480i/576i, and support for deinterlacing might be a necessity anyway, but are there games that render in 480p/576p and simply get converted to 480i/576i by the DAC?
Alborix

Post by Alborix »

I'm glad I went for it. I would have preferred the WiiDigital since another thing I inferred from it was that it would be compatible with older motherboard revisions, but knowing how long that might take to come out I just jumped on the WiiDual. My wii is not a compatible revision from what I can tell -- at least judging from the fact that I can install bootmii as boot2 -- but I found a cheap RVL-CPU-40 replacement motherboard on ebay so I ordered that. :wink: If anyone else is having trouble finding compatible wiis that's the route I'd recommend going! I only paid $30 for the one I found.

Unfortuantely I think the screw on my battery cover is stripped or something. It's not coming out. That's why bootmii as boot2 is my only clue that my wii is too old.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Alborix wrote: Unfortuantely I think the screw on my battery cover is stripped or something. It's not coming out.
Not sure if you figured this out yet, but you can usually get a stripped screw out of plastic by pulling on it at the same time as unscrewing it. A pair of tweezers would probably work for the battery door screw.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

vol.2 wrote:Not sure if you figured this out yet, but you can usually get a stripped screw out of plastic by pulling on it at the same time as unscrewing it. A pair of tweezers would probably work for the battery door screw.
In the Wii's I've taken apart, the battery cover screw was screwing into a square metal nut though, not plastic. If Alborix' Wii has been taken apart previously, it might be missing or misaligned.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Unseen wrote: In the Wii's I've taken apart, the battery cover screw was screwing into a square metal nut though, not plastic. If Alborix' Wii has been taken apart previously, it might be missing or misaligned.
Oh yeah. That tiny square nut that's incredibly easy to lose. The screw's probably just spinning around in nothing. Tweezers and a driver should still get it out though. If you just kinda force up on the underside of the screw head while you unscrew. I suppose if it's too tight for tweezers one could use one of those blue handled SMD tools with the sharp edge on it.
Arthrimus

Post by Arthrimus »

Unseen wrote:
vol.2 wrote:Not sure if you figured this out yet, but you can usually get a stripped screw out of plastic by pulling on it at the same time as unscrewing it. A pair of tweezers would probably work for the battery door screw.
In the Wii's I've taken apart, the battery cover screw was screwing into a square metal nut though, not plastic. If Alborix' Wii has been taken apart previously, it might be missing or misaligned.
If the nut was missing he would know it for sure because the battery caddy would slide out with no resistance whatsoever.
plus ça change,

Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

Is anyone else here using the RGCUK PAL Wii cable for their WiiDual with CSYNC?
I assume all we have to do (cable-wise) is to remove the sync stripper as its not needed, and then swap the RGB wires? :)
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

GeneraLight wrote:
strayan wrote:

Unfortunately though:

Yeah, unfortunately the WiiDigital project has been postponed indefinitely until further notice. citrus3000psi and chrisz2600 are focusing all their efforts on developing the PS1Digital, PS2Digital and XBoxDigital right now. For all we know, it could be years (late 2021 - 2022+) before the WiiDigital is released.

https://twitter.com/citrus3000psi/statu ... 0253030401
With the project postponed indefinitely, I take it there are no further details beyond 1) it's for the Wii, and 2) it'll have similar functionality to the other xDigital products?

I'm preparing to finally install a WiiDual in my Wii, and, before I take the plunge and start cutting plastic, I'm wondering if the WiiDigital, whenever that comes out, will have its HDMI port in the same spot, making it feasible to swap in the new board without leaving a gaping hole.

I haven't yet gotten a good look at the inside of the console, but I imagine, if it's possible to source a compatible part, a no-cut solution could be achieved by desoldering the 2x USB stack, replacing it with a 1x USB stack (like on the RasPi Model A), and mounting an HDMI port in the remaining space. If the WiiDigital ends up doing something like that, those of us with WiiDual boards would be left with some extra, likely undesirable ventilation. :/
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

nmalinoski wrote:I'm preparing to finally install a WiiDual in my Wii, and, before I take the plunge and start cutting plastic, I'm wondering if the WiiDigital, whenever that comes out, will have its HDMI port in the same spot, making it feasible to swap in the new board without leaving a gaping hole.
My 2 cents: just install it and enjoy it. If there's a really compelling reason to switch to the WiiDigital once it comes out, just buy another Wii (they'll probably still be very cheap) to install it, and sell the WiiDual'd Wii (which will probably hold their value decently).
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

fernan1234 wrote: My 2 cents: just install it and enjoy it. If there's a really compelling reason to switch to the WiiDigital once it comes out, just buy another Wii (they'll probably still be very cheap) to install it, and sell the WiiDual'd Wii (which will probably hold their value decently).
I would assume that the only thing that could be better would be onboard scaling to 4k? Other than that, it's probably just another revision that's easier to install, easier to update and will lack the analog RGB output. (that's just an assumption based on the "digital" name)
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

vol.2 wrote:
fernan1234 wrote: My 2 cents: just install it and enjoy it. If there's a really compelling reason to switch to the WiiDigital once it comes out, just buy another Wii (they'll probably still be very cheap) to install it, and sell the WiiDual'd Wii (which will probably hold their value decently).
and will lack the analog RGB output. (that's just an assumption based on the "digital" name)
Hopefully not. It's pretty easy to update the WiiDual's firmware now. As for the scaling, you can take the lossless digital 480p picture and scale it to whatever you want with a dedicated scaler already.

My biggest wish is that the WiiDigital will work on the original RVL-CPU-01 White launch Wii that came out in 2006.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

GeneraLight wrote:My biggest wish is that the WiiDigital will work on the original RVL-CPU-01 White launch Wii that came out in 2006.
I have this board in my original launch Wii, but unfortunately I'm not aware of any source for a preassembled ready-to-install version.