WiiDual / GCVideo discussion

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Extrems

Re: WiiDual / GCVideo discussion

Post by Extrems »

bobrocks95 wrote:When the fix is out (though it's only been mentioned as affecting a TCL TV right now), does anyone know which firmware version is suitable for the Carby? Or will I have to wait for Insurrection Industries to release a build of the firmware themselves?
CARBY can be updated using the official releases (Shuriken V3).
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Shuriken V3 was the info I was looking for, thanks Extrems. Now to check if I bought mine late enough to come with 3.0...
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Syntax wrote:You guys did read the issues on github right?
The update softens the image for some non Samsung tvs.

I'd be holding off till it's sorted.
It has been sorted, use the version from the issue if have one of the very rare TVs that changes it interpolation method based on that one flag bit and does not offer an user option to do the same.
Lostdotfish

Post by Lostdotfish »

Just successfully updated my 3.0e Chinese GC Plug to 3.1 using the updater DOL. No issues at all.

Has anyone updated Dan's WiiDual yet? I can't remember if his device IDs ever got added to the main repo or not? I know he had his own fork for his device. I did a (hopefully final) teardown and flashed mine from 2.4.c.2 up to his last release 3.0e last night but didn't have the courage to attempt a 3.1 flash.
Lostdotfish

Post by Lostdotfish »

Lostdotfish wrote:Just successfully updated my 3.0e Chinese GC Plug to 3.1 using the updater DOL. No issues at all.

Has anyone updated Dan's WiiDual yet? I can't remember if his device IDs ever got added to the main repo or not? I know he had his own fork for his device. I did a (hopefully final) teardown and flashed mine from 2.4.c.2 up to his last release 3.0e last night but didn't have the courage to attempt a 3.1 flash.
For science...

Updater DOL for Wii won't work on Dan's WiiDual (No firmware for DK07 found) - Dan will need to update his binaries for this to work.

@Dan (if you still read this thread) - is there anything we can do to get your boards supported in the main GCVideo repo? I know we did something similar with the GC Plug firmware last year and that is now fully supported without you needing to compile firmware for it. Can we do the same for your (now discontinued) WiiDual so that you don't have to support it directly?

Cheers
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Lostdotfish wrote:I know we did something similar with the GC Plug firmware last year and that is now fully supported without you needing to compile firmware for it.
I don't know who "we" is, but GCPlug is supported because I took the PCB top/bottom layer pictures from OSHPark and reverse engineered the FPGA pinout from them myself as I was unable to find any better documentation on the net.

I currently have no plans to add support to GCVideo for any board that does not have full schematics and layout available in a public repository.
Can we do the same for your (now discontinued) WiiDual so that you don't have to support it directly?
Why do you want to push the support burden from the person who made money from the sale of those boards to a person who did not?
Lostdotfish

Post by Lostdotfish »

Unseen wrote: I don't know who "we" is, but GCPlug is supported because I took the PCB top/bottom layer pictures from OSHPark and reverse engineered the FPGA pinout from them myself as I was unable to find any better documentation on the net.
We as in I asked and you very kindly agreed to do what you could. I genuinely appreciate that you took the time to support that device.
I currently have no plans to add support to GCVideo for any board that does not have full schematics and layout available in a public repository.
So if Dan will release the documentation and schematics for his old WiiDual boards it is something you'd consider?

@Dan - would you consider making the board schematics public now that that device is discontinued?
Alborix

Post by Alborix »

I might be better off contacting retro gaming cables about this, but I just got one of their scart cables and I intend to remove the scart head and swap in a solderless dsub breakout head + 3.5mm audio. (with the color channels swapped for the wiidual) I've already done this with a cheap scart cable on ebay, but I had to break open the source connector to actually identify which wire carried what signal. Is there any documentation on which color wire carries what signal in the RGC wii scart cable?
Kez

Post by Kez »

Alborix wrote:I might be better off contacting retro gaming cables about this, but I just got one of their scart cables and I intend to remove the scart head and swap in a solderless dsub breakout head + 3.5mm audio. (with the color channels swapped for the wiidual) I've already done this with a cheap scart cable on ebay, but I had to break open the source connector to actually identify which wire carried what signal. Is there any documentation on which color wire carries what signal in the RGC wii scart cable?
If you open the SCART head you can probably figure out which wires go to which pins. Or just use a multimeter to figure it out. Normally the wire colours are Red/Green/Blue and yellow for sync/video, but you should really check anyway.
awe444

Post by awe444 »

Quick question: is the 360p GBI output mode only supported with hardware running GCVideo v3+? I have a Carby running v2.4 and booting the gbihf-ossc.dol results in no recognizable signal to either my OSSC or RT5X. Thanks!
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Dan has released 3.1 for his boards but for myself and at least one other person the GC files don’t work. It doesn’t recognize the board id. This goes for GCdual and GCHD Mk2. Can anyone else please try it? The WiiDual update file worked fine.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Anyone know of a reason the gcvideo DOL updater would hang at Installed Version 3.0x and never show a compatible update file? Are there any other reasons besides the firmware file doesn’t find a match?
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

My kids have been playing my WiiDual modified Wii a lot lately and I noticed today that the screen was awfully blurry on my Sony OLED. I checked the video output and saw that the Wii is only outputting 480i over HDMI. I went into the Wii settings and it won't even let me choose anything other than 480i. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

Are you sure “enable 480p” is toggled on from the GCVideo settings?
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

bahamutfan64 wrote:Are you sure “enable 480p” is toggled on from the GCVideo settings?
Silly me. 480p was disabled in the GCVideo OSD. Either I never enabled it in the first place, or the kids got into the menu and messed with the settings. Either one is entirely possible.

With that said, enabling 480p cleaned up the shaky video I was experiencing on some screens, but it made little to no difference in actual gameplay. The images still look highly pixelated. At this point, I'm thinking that's just how they are going to look on a 65" TV. What caused me to question it in the first place was my kids watching YouTube videos and me noticing how the YouTube images were perfectly crisp, compared to our jagged, pixelated images. Now that I have ruled out the WiiDual settings, I'm guessing the difference can probably be attributed to the YouTube videos being recorded using an emulator versus actual hardware and scaling, so likely not a fair comparison.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Sargon wrote:At this point, I'm thinking that's just how they are going to look on a 65" TV. What caused me to question it in the first place was my kids watching YouTube videos and me noticing how the YouTube images were perfectly crisp, compared to our jagged, pixelated images.
Yep, that's your issue. 480p just doesn't look great on today's big TVs with much higher native resolutions. I'm betting those Youtube videos were not 480p, but probably 1080p or even 4K.

On top of that Wii graphics seem to be one of the worst, most pixellated looking when upscaled. They definitely look nice on CRTs that support 480p and even on 480p flat panels, but not as good as other 480p capable systems like Dreamcast and Xbox do. Gamecube somehow fits somewhere in between.

My suggestion would be to actually use the 480i output with an external scaler like the OSSC or Retrotink 5X, and use bob deinterlacing combined with full "scanlines" (the latter largely eliminating the jumpy look of bob deinterlace) to produce a CRT-like effect that does a great job of smoothing out the appearance of jaggy, pixellated graphics on Wii and GC games. Personally I use my WiiDual console to output 480i via HDMI and then convert it to analogue RGB for a CRT, simply because that's what makes games on these systems look best.

Alternatively, be careful to ensure that you're enabling 480p output on the WiiDual, but not enabling its own 2X scaling, which is different from enabling 480p on games that support it themselves. The former does not look good at all and is only really there if needed for games that did not support 480p.
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

fernan1234 wrote:My suggestion would be to actually use the 480i output with an external scaler like the OSSC or Retrotink 5X, and use bob deinterlacing combined with full "scanlines" (the latter largely eliminating the jumpy look of bob deinterlace) to produce a CRT-like effect that does a great job of smoothing out the appearance of jaggy, pixellated graphics on Wii and GC games.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm trying to keep my setup somewhat simple with the kids using it. Right now all my older consoles output SCART to the OSSC through an automatic SCART switch, and then HDMI out from the OSSC to an auto HDMI switch, which also takes input from my HDMI devices (like the Wii). There is no input switching required and it just displays whatever device is turned on. At this point, the kids don't seem to mind the Wii graphics so I think I'll just leave it alone!
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

No need to complicate things, though personally 480p through the OSSC in x2 mode (960p output) looks good to me. Generic settings or the oversampling option will smooth out the jaggies, but not nearly as much as a modern TV will do with straight 480p.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

If you are using the OSSC at 2x it'll normally look very sharp and pixelated, enable "Allow upsample2x" and it'll do a less pixelated output for 480p 2x. If you still feel bad at it, you could make it passthrough 480p and your TV will do the upscale.
And I don't recommend using 480i unless you are using a CRT or so, because obvious reasons, and the reason 480i may look softer is because deflicker is being applied, which basically blurs the image so 480i won't have a "crazy" flicker on a CRT.

If someone really want the more blurry and soft feel of this deflicker effect, you can force it with homebrew on 480p which may be better, although not sure if that's something really good to do.
Various Wii and GameCube games may actually still use a form of it on progressive with different intensities for different reasons.
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 »

Any more of these set to release? I always wanted to get this for my Wii.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

i think that wii digital has replaced this product, more or less.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

vol.2 wrote:i think that wii digital has replaced this product, more or less.
What Wii Digital? If you mean Dan Kunz, he hasn't made any update to the Wii Dual.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

IIRC, there was a Wii Digital in the project pipeline due out sometime after the PS Digital projects are being made. I didn't mean to suggest it was available, poor wording on my part.

IAC, I think I remember hearing that the WiiDual was no longer being made and that the next thing would be the Wii Digital. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, and maybe that's changed. idk
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

vol.2 wrote:IIRC, there was a Wii Digital in the project pipeline due out sometime after the PS Digital projects are being made. I didn't mean to suggest it was available, poor wording on my part.

IAC, I think I remember hearing that the WiiDual was no longer being made and that the next thing would be the Wii Digital. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, and maybe that's changed. idk
Let’s hope you’re right. PixelFX hopefully will do a HDMI implementation for every console. Take my money. I need a PS2 and Saturn Digital.

By the way. Would it be possible Ikorb could do line 2x mode (960p) with a future firmware? He said he was working on something big but it had to wait till a future firmware.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

H6rdc0re wrote:I need a PS2 and Saturn Digital.
Saturn does not have an internal digital video bus, the VDP directly outputs analog signals. That doesn't mean a solution for it is impossible, but it is not as simple as other consoles like Gamecube/Wii, PSX or Dreamcast.
Would it be possible Ikorb could do line 2x mode (960p) with a future firmware?
The FPGA cannot support a 4x increase of output pixel clock that would be needed for a "proper" 960p mode (1440x960p). A weird mode that only doubles the vertical axis but not the horizontal (720x960p) would be possible, but that would only be useful if the display can be convinced to stretch it to a 4:3 or 16:9 picture.
matt

Post by matt »

How likely is it that RGBHV support could be reimplented for the WiiDual? I bought one of Dan's last batch for my Wii, largely for use with a VGA monitor, only to find out after installing it that H/V sync had been disabled in the last firmware update. There are enough workarounds available that I'm still able to use it, but it would be nice to have the option.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Unseen wrote: The FPGA cannot support a 4x increase of output pixel clock that would be needed for a "proper" 960p mode (1440x960p). A weird mode that only doubles the vertical axis but not the horizontal (720x960p) would be possible, but that would only be useful if the display can be convinced to stretch it to a 4:3 or 16:9 picture.
The LG OLEDs could probably do this. They support almost every weird nonstandard resolution you throw at them, and they offer individual X and Y zoom.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

matt wrote:How likely is it that RGBHV support could be reimplented for the WiiDual? I bought one of Dan's last batch for my Wii, largely for use with a VGA monitor, only to find out after installing it that H/V sync had been disabled in the last firmware update. There are enough workarounds available that I'm still able to use it, but it would be nice to have the option.
Actually I'm thinking about ripping out analog output support completely because I still consider it to be a pointless waste of FPGA resources.
matt

Post by matt »

Oh no! Guess I'll just be happy with the current firmware then.

I got the Wiidual pretty much exclusively for analog monitors, but I realize I'm in the minority here. It's a huge improvement over its native 480p blurriness.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Same. I won’t be using the HDMI out until I get an OSSC Pro or Morph that can upscale the 480p HDMI signal. It looks really bad on my LG OLED, so I’m feeding the 480p component into my OSSC for linedoubling to 960p. It’s a massive improvement:)