WiiDual / GCVideo discussion

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ikaruga11

Re: WiiDual / GCVideo discussion

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Since the Wii only outputs an analog signal and no digital signal, it looks like we won't be seeing a plug-'n-play solution like with the GameCube. You'll have to get your Wii modded. The Wii U however is backwards compatible with the Wii and can output both digital HDMI and analog Component at the same time.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

I wonder if the output for component and HDMI on the Wii U are as good as WiiDual? I'd get WiiDual anyway to avoid having to deal with the Wii U's OS but I'd be interested to know..
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

The WiiU's output is quite good IMO. It delivers a great 1080i signal through HDMI into my BVM via an Extron RGB rxi. Component 1080i seemed to be just as good, but I didn't test it long since I prefer to keep it all RGB.

I would still prefer to play Wii and GC software on a Wii rather than a WiiU though. The Wii also has the advantage of outputting 240p, which is fantastic for the Wii's virtual console titles and very capable emulators. Can the WiiDual do 280p through the HDMI out, or only via analog?
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

fernan1234 wrote:Can the WiiDual do 280p through the HDMI out, or only via analog?
It can't do 280p, but both 240p and 288p can be output via HDMI and analog. By default line-doubling is turned on for these modes though because some displays don't like them.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Unseen wrote:
andykara2003 wrote:Have the Chroma and "whites" issues been solved yet?
I know where the black crush on the analog output comes from and the chroma shift for certain horizontal image issues is also fixed in my development tree.
I'm a little cautious of getting my US & UK Wiis modded just in case there's still problems to be overcome that might eventually require a new mod revision.
I can't give any guarantees, but at least for the digital output part it is extremely likely that all issues can be fixed by flashing a newer version of the firmware. I'm hesitant to give the same guarantees for the analog output because I did not design the boards and I (still...) don't have one hooked up to one of my systems to actually try it.
There's a black crush issue for the analog output?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Unseen wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:Can the WiiDual do 280p through the HDMI out, or only via analog?
It can't do 280p, but both 240p and 288p can be output via HDMI and analog. By default line-doubling is turned on for these modes though because some displays don't like them.
Typo, of course.

It would be interesting to see which displays are actually able to accept 240p through HDMI.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Lawfer wrote:There's a black crush issue for the analog output?
I heard something about black crush problems with a custom GCVideo-DVI-based, but analog-only design, but after thinking about it some more and checking the relevant literature it may not be what I initially thought it might be.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Unseen wrote:
Lawfer wrote:There's a black crush issue for the analog output?
I heard something about black crush problems with a custom GCVideo-DVI-based, but analog-only design, but after thinking about it some more and checking the relevant literature it may not be what I initially thought it might be.
I played recently Fragile Dreams which is a really dark game as you can see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZHxlo_U_u8&t=0m40s

I played it on a broadcast monitor CRT and didn't notice any black crush, so I was suprised to read that there was a black crush issue.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

There are no clipping issues with the wiidual. There is some clipping/crush problems with the gcdual. I have a firmware update that takes care of the problem. I’ve yet to release as i don’t want to stir up commotion before 2.5 gets released. But I can send it to anybody that wants it.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

Hi guys, hope this is the right place for this.

I have GCHD mk2 on the way and plan to use the analogue output to send 480p over scart to my OSSC. Can I use any PAL wii, sync on composite RGB scart cable for this? RGC sell one with a sync stripper integrated, is that desirable for this application or unnecessary.

Many thanks
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

EnragedWhale wrote:Hi guys, hope this is the right place for this.

I have GCHD mk2 on the way and plan to use the analogue output to send 480p over scart to my OSSC. Can I use any PAL wii, sync on composite RGB scart cable for this? RGC sell one with a sync stripper integrated, is that desirable for this application or unnecessary.

Many thanks
The sync stripper is unnecessary. All you need is the standard PAL wii scart cable with the mk2.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

citrus3000psi wrote:
EnragedWhale wrote:Hi guys, hope this is the right place for this.

Many thanks
The sync stripper is unnecessary. All you need is the standard PAL wii scart cable with the mk2.
Perfect,

Thanks
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

Extrems wrote:480i down-conversion could be a nice feature, some people use the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle to do just that.
I've a long-neglected Intensity Shuttle in a drawer somewhere; any links or tips on how to achieve this?
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

citrus3000psi wrote:There are no clipping issues with the wiidual. There is some clipping/crush problems with the gcdual. I have a firmware update that takes care of the problem. I’ve yet to release as i don’t want to stir up commotion before 2.5 gets released. But I can send it to anybody that wants it.
Hi @citrus3000psi. I'm considering taking the plunge on getting a WiiDual installation, but want to know what the update options are on the WiiDual post-install, and if there's any firmware updates or issue fixes in the works that might be worth holding out for? I've read through this thread already.

Sorry if this isn't the correct place to ask, but WiiDual is now hitting more installers, but applying potential firmware updates might require re-shipping to installers I'm guessing?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Is anyone selling a Wii console with a pre-installed WiiDual kit?
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Are there any modders in the uk doing the install at the moment? Failing that, are there any in Europe?
strayan

Post by strayan »

andykara2003 wrote:Are there any modders in the uk doing the install at the moment? Failing that, are there any in Europe?
https://shop.dansprojects.com/wiidual-k ... order.html

See heading “certified installers”
Lostdotfish

Post by Lostdotfish »

andykara2003 wrote:Are there any modders in the uk doing the install at the moment? Failing that, are there any in Europe?
Video Game Perfection has kits in stock and offers an install service.

https://www.videogameperfection.com/pro ... dual-hdmi/
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Lostdotfish wrote:Video Game Perfection has kits in stock and offers an install service.
Thanks for that - I'll go with them.
Shuco13

Post by Shuco13 »

Has there been any direct comparison made between Wiidual, component cables to upscaler and/or Wii2HDMI?
...aka 12345
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

Can anyone clarify if the WiiDual has had many firmware updates since it went on sale, and if there's any upcoming releases planned to address any issues (e.g. Chroma shift)?

I notice this seemingly wasn't answered: https://twitter.com/ExoParadigmGmr/stat ... 7846777856

It looks a fantastic product and I really want to order it, but need to weigh up the total cost of ownership (considering it might likely require a tool to update the firmware should I try to do that myself, or ship it off for someone to do for me).

Can anyone advise what tool is required to update the firmware and whether it's relatively simple to do?

The official order page (https://shop.dansprojects.com/wiidual-k ... order.html) says "If using a standard RGBS/Scart cable, it will need to be modified to work the WiiDual. The Color channels need to be swapped and Composite Video needs to be remove from the console.". Is RetroGamingCables's PACKAPUNCH cable therefore suitable, and if so which sync type? https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pac ... CART-CABLE

I haven't been able to follow individual threads where this all might be being discussed in greater detail, but asking here on the one that seems most relevant. Thank you.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

coderkind wrote:Can anyone clarify if the WiiDual has had many firmware updates since it went on sale,
There were two, 2.4b and 2.4c, 2.4c fixed an issue with digital audio.

There should be a version 2.5

More info here: https://github.com/ikorb/gcvideo

coderkind wrote:Can anyone advise what tool is required to update the firmware and whether it's relatively simple to do?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSG9kC6o0G0

coderkind wrote:The official order page (https://shop.dansprojects.com/wiidual-k ... order.html) says "If using a standard RGBS/Scart cable, it will need to be modified to work the WiiDual. The Color channels need to be swapped and Composite Video needs to be remove from the console.". Is RetroGamingCables's PACKAPUNCH cable therefore suitable, and if so which sync type? https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pac ... CART-CABLE
Get either of these:

SCART: https://retro-access.com/collections/wi ... cart-cable

BNC: https://retro-access.com/collections/wi ... udio-cable
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

@Lawfer thanks a lot for replying :)

I might go with Retro Access for the cable. I should've mentioned I'm in Europe (my bad). For anyone else in Europe needing a SCART cable, I've messaged RetroGamingCables to ask if their cable is compatible (and if not, if they're going to be selling one). I'll post the feedback here when I get it.
Arthrimus

Post by Arthrimus »

I might have missed it, but I can't seem to find any board files for the WiiDual. Were the boards not ever released to the public? I'd really like to put one together myself.
plus ça change,
plus c'est la même chose,
The more that things change,
The more they stay the same.- RUSH- Circumstances

I install and sell mods at arthrimus.com | SNES RGB Bypass+Dejitter available now! | Watch me live stream my work on YouTube
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Lawfer wrote:
coderkind wrote:Can anyone clarify if the WiiDual has had many firmware updates since it went on sale,
There were two, 2.4b and 2.4c, 2.4c fixed an issue with digital audio.

There should be a version 2.5
https://shop.dansprojects.com/wiidual-k ... order.html

The pre-order page describes the WiiDual as using a custom 2.4c, that would mean that all kits shipped with this latest firmware, right? I'm trying to make sure of this myself before getting an install done.

Also what's left to fix for WiiDual users on 2.5?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

I don't know, the other chroma shift bug that's more commonly hit on Wii?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Extrems wrote:I don't know, the other chroma shift bug that's more commonly hit on Wii?
Dang. Does that happen on all analogue outputs or just on conversion to RGB?

I wonder if this also happens when a stock PAL Wii converts the internal YCbCr to RGB.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

It should happen on all outputs. AVE-RVL is obviously fine.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

And one more thing, does this other chroma shift bug happen in all resolutions, or perhaps only in 480p (which is what I guess most testing is done on)?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

All resolutions, but it's usually triggered by active widths not divisible by four.