shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:35 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: WiiDual / GCVideo discussion
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:04 pm 

Since the Wii only outputs an analog signal and no digital signal, it looks like we won't be seeing a plug-'n-play solution like with the GameCube. You'll have to get your Wii modded. The Wii U however is backwards compatible with the Wii and can output both digital HDMI and analog Component at the same time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:15 pm 

I wonder if the output for component and HDMI on the Wii U are as good as WiiDual? I'd get WiiDual anyway to avoid having to deal with the Wii U's OS but I'd be interested to know..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:31 pm 

The WiiU's output is quite good IMO. It delivers a great 1080i signal through HDMI into my BVM via an Extron RGB rxi. Component 1080i seemed to be just as good, but I didn't test it long since I prefer to keep it all RGB.

I would still prefer to play Wii and GC software on a Wii rather than a WiiU though. The Wii also has the advantage of outputting 240p, which is fantastic for the Wii's virtual console titles and very capable emulators. Can the WiiDual do 280p through the HDMI out, or only via analog?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:27 am 

fernan1234 wrote:
Can the WiiDual do 280p through the HDMI out, or only via analog?

It can't do 280p, but both 240p and 288p can be output via HDMI and analog. By default line-doubling is turned on for these modes though because some displays don't like them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:24 pm 

Unseen wrote:
andykara2003 wrote:
Have the Chroma and "whites" issues been solved yet?

I know where the black crush on the analog output comes from and the chroma shift for certain horizontal image issues is also fixed in my development tree.

Quote:
I'm a little cautious of getting my US & UK Wiis modded just in case there's still problems to be overcome that might eventually require a new mod revision.

I can't give any guarantees, but at least for the digital output part it is extremely likely that all issues can be fixed by flashing a newer version of the firmware. I'm hesitant to give the same guarantees for the analog output because I did not design the boards and I (still...) don't have one hooked up to one of my systems to actually try it.

There's a black crush issue for the analog output?

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:42 pm 

Unseen wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:
Can the WiiDual do 280p through the HDMI out, or only via analog?

It can't do 280p, but both 240p and 288p can be output via HDMI and analog. By default line-doubling is turned on for these modes though because some displays don't like them.

Typo, of course.

It would be interesting to see which displays are actually able to accept 240p through HDMI.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:26 pm 

Lawfer wrote:

I heard something about black crush problems with a custom GCVideo-DVI-based, but analog-only design, but after thinking about it some more and checking the relevant literature it may not be what I initially thought it might be.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:40 pm 

Unseen wrote:
Lawfer wrote:

I heard something about black crush problems with a custom GCVideo-DVI-based, but analog-only design, but after thinking about it some more and checking the relevant literature it may not be what I initially thought it might be.

I played recently Fragile Dreams which is a really dark game as you can see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZHxlo_U_u8&t=0m40s

I played it on a broadcast monitor CRT and didn't notice any black crush, so I was suprised to read that there was a black crush issue.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:03 am 

There are no clipping issues with the wiidual. There is some clipping/crush problems with the gcdual. I have a firmware update that takes care of the problem. I’ve yet to release as i don’t want to stir up commotion before 2.5 gets released. But I can send it to anybody that wants it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:11 pm 

Hi guys, hope this is the right place for this.

I have GCHD mk2 on the way and plan to use the analogue output to send 480p over scart to my OSSC. Can I use any PAL wii, sync on composite RGB scart cable for this? RGC sell one with a sync stripper integrated, is that desirable for this application or unnecessary.

Many thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:55 pm 

EnragedWhale wrote:

I have GCHD mk2 on the way and plan to use the analogue output to send 480p over scart to my OSSC. Can I use any PAL wii, sync on composite RGB scart cable for this? RGC sell one with a sync stripper integrated, is that desirable for this application or unnecessary.

Many thanks

The sync stripper is unnecessary. All you need is the standard PAL wii scart cable with the mk2.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:30 pm 

citrus3000psi wrote:
EnragedWhale wrote:

Many thanks

The sync stripper is unnecessary. All you need is the standard PAL wii scart cable with the mk2.

Perfect,

Thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:48 am 

Extrems wrote:
480i down-conversion could be a nice feature, some people use the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle to do just that.

I've a long-neglected Intensity Shuttle in a drawer somewhere; any links or tips on how to achieve this?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:57 am 

citrus3000psi wrote:
There are no clipping issues with the wiidual. There is some clipping/crush problems with the gcdual. I have a firmware update that takes care of the problem. I’ve yet to release as i don’t want to stir up commotion before 2.5 gets released. But I can send it to anybody that wants it.

Hi @citrus3000psi. I'm considering taking the plunge on getting a WiiDual installation, but want to know what the update options are on the WiiDual post-install, and if there's any firmware updates or issue fixes in the works that might be worth holding out for? I've read through this thread already.

Sorry if this isn't the correct place to ask, but WiiDual is now hitting more installers, but applying potential firmware updates might require re-shipping to installers I'm guessing?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:24 am 

Is anyone selling a Wii console with a pre-installed WiiDual kit?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:13 am 

Are there any modders in the uk doing the install at the moment? Failing that, are there any in Europe?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:42 am 

andykara2003 wrote:
Are there any modders in the uk doing the install at the moment? Failing that, are there any in Europe?

https://shop.dansprojects.com/wiidual-k ... order.html

See heading “certified installers”

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:54 pm 

andykara2003 wrote:

Video Game Perfection has kits in stock and offers an install service.

https://www.videogameperfection.com/pro ... dual-hdmi/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:04 pm 

Lostdotfish wrote:
Video Game Perfection has kits in stock and offers an install service.

Thanks for that - I'll go with them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:12 pm 

Has there been any direct comparison made between Wiidual, component cables to upscaler and/or Wii2HDMI?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:46 pm 

Can anyone clarify if the WiiDual has had many firmware updates since it went on sale, and if there's any upcoming releases planned to address any issues (e.g. Chroma shift)?

I notice this seemingly wasn't answered: https://twitter.com/ExoParadigmGmr/stat ... 7846777856

It looks a fantastic product and I really want to order it, but need to weigh up the total cost of ownership (considering it might likely require a tool to update the firmware should I try to do that myself, or ship it off for someone to do for me).

Can anyone advise what tool is required to update the firmware and whether it's relatively simple to do?

The official order page (https://shop.dansprojects.com/wiidual-k ... order.html) says "If using a standard RGBS/Scart cable, it will need to be modified to work the WiiDual. The Color channels need to be swapped and Composite Video needs to be remove from the console.". Is RetroGamingCables's PACKAPUNCH cable therefore suitable, and if so which sync type? https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pac ... CART-CABLE

I haven't been able to follow individual threads where this all might be being discussed in greater detail, but asking here on the one that seems most relevant. Thank you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:46 pm 

coderkind wrote:
Can anyone clarify if the WiiDual has had many firmware updates since it went on sale,

There were two, 2.4b and 2.4c, 2.4c fixed an issue with digital audio.

There should be a version 2.5

More info here: https://github.com/ikorb/gcvideo

coderkind wrote:
Can anyone advise what tool is required to update the firmware and whether it's relatively simple to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSG9kC6o0G0

coderkind wrote:
The official order page (https://shop.dansprojects.com/wiidual-k ... order.html) says "If using a standard RGBS/Scart cable, it will need to be modified to work the WiiDual. The Color channels need to be swapped and Composite Video needs to be remove from the console.". Is RetroGamingCables's PACKAPUNCH cable therefore suitable, and if so which sync type? https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pac ... CART-CABLE

Get either of these:

SCART: https://retro-access.com/collections/wi ... cart-cable

BNC: https://retro-access.com/collections/wi ... udio-cable

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:02 am 

@Lawfer thanks a lot for replying :)

I might go with Retro Access for the cable. I should've mentioned I'm in Europe (my bad). For anyone else in Europe needing a SCART cable, I've messaged RetroGamingCables to ask if their cable is compatible (and if not, if they're going to be selling one). I'll post the feedback here when I get it.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6