Disabling PS1 hardware dithering (better looking 2D)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
TooBeaucoup

Re: Disabling PS1 hardware dithering (better looking 2D)

Post by TooBeaucoup »

nmalinoski wrote:I believe, for those, only the first track/bin file is the game data, while the rest are CDDA tracks; so, yes, you should only need to patch the first bin file.
Thanks. Yeah, that seems to be the right way to do it. It seems many of the Internet Archive dumps are ripped this way. I just wanted to be sure I was doing it properly. The de-dither is truly a game changer!
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

Sorry for the bump but I was wondering earlier, with scalers like the 5X, would it be possible to disable dithering and have the scaler do something with the color depth to hide the banding like an emulator does it? Also whatever became of the HDmizer?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

AaronSR wrote:Sorry for the bump but I was wondering earlier, with scalers like the 5X, would it be possible to disable dithering and have the scaler do something with the color depth to hide the banding like an emulator does it? Also whatever became of the HDmizer?
It's off their website, never got past a whiteboard prototype physically, and I think their Dreamcast cables are over 2 years late now, so I think it's safe to assume it won't happen. It was going to have 480p output only so it would struggle differentiating itself from a Tink 2X I'd imagine.

As for de-dithering filters I'm hoping we'll see it on a next-gen scaler soon. I'm surprised it hasn't worked its way into the RT5X yet, though maybe it doesn't have the headroom for it. I'd imagine anything that could do an eagle 2x kind of filter could handle it. Without an algorithmic approach though I don't think it would look good, not trying to switch back to a whole-screen composite blur.

The Morph's original roadmap had "User definable interpolation kernels" and "Advanced smoothing filters" so maybe we'll see it on there.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Cuttsj

Post by Cuttsj »

Hey Seraphic!

Would you be able to share the remove dithering code you used? Or possibly point me in the correct direction?
I'm having a hard time finding codes online for action replay/gameshark.

Best wishes and cold beers,
Seraphic wrote:It really is hard to tell without direct capture because some images look no different while others do. But seems to work with VP too.

With Dither

Without Dither

And here is those errors I was talking about that comes up when burning PS1 games patched for no dither.
ImgBurn seems to say the errors are in the image file while verifying. Yet it still boots and plays fine on my PS2 as far as I can tell.
Anyone else encounter this? Do you think the patching process conflicts with ImgBurn for some reason?

Cuttsj

Post by Cuttsj »

Hello everyone!
With the help of Chris Covell, we were able to remove the dithering on Valkyrie Profile for PS1 on original hardware!

Here is the action replay code:
80022144:0000

You'll notice that the worldmap skybox has banding, but I thnk it's a small price to pay for having the dithering gone in the combat sprites and background.