getting best picture with OG xbox

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Syntax

Re: getting best picture with OG xbox

Post by Syntax »

Forgot to add this wont work on excalibur encoders so 1.6 are out of luck.
I'm using a Conexant but Focus should work too. Yet to test Focus.

Here's some crispy VGA on a crappy monitor from my primary school that tints at the slightest hint of SOG and cant handle crappy sync.

https://youtu.be/ZonZYkB6F_s

https://youtu.be/8k6Xw3wYHX8
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Syntax wrote:If you can jumper the points that I posted and your vga cable buffers and amps sync it will work fine.
Edit just re read your post I see your cable takes sync from green. That wont work. If you can get it from comp video and clean it then it should fine.

Removing sync from green is part of the final video encoder and hex editing the bios bin will stop it putting SOG.
Gotcha. I think I'm fine then, I'm not going to hex edit all the games on mine. SOG converted to RGBS is just fine for me.

This is the cable I was talking about if anybody is interested, has TOSLINK/optical out as well – no longer in production though:

https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413

It uses a LMH1980 "which separates the Horizontal and Vertical sync from the Green signal line". That chip can also be used to output RGBS from SOG as well.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Oh you dont hex edit any games, just the bios, and thats only to fix the encoder registers.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Awesome. I'm actually working through the Dino Crisis series now, so this will be a nice project before I get to 3. Thanks for figuring this out!
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

Syntax wrote:After a week of screwing around I have finally managed to put together a dual boot (TSOP and chip) True VGA no SOG forced 480p patched all 480i to run 480p bios Xbox 1.1 and restored and buffered the Vsync Hsync output to the AV port.

Works all the way up to 1080i if your run MODE 2+3 but you end up with purple flashes before games load.
MODE 1+2+3 seems nicer as there are no glitchy purple screens but I think it only does 480p.

Works fine with monitors not compatible with SOG :)
Spoiler

Sources
Spoiler
The NO SOG part
https://assemblergames.com/threads/xbox ... ded.61635/

Collection of prepatched 480p force/480i fix/VGA Bios that can be used with a HEX editor to create a NO SOG Bios
https://assemblergames.com/threads/forc ... ift.59122/

Free HEX editor
http://www.hhdsoftware.com/Download/fre ... or-neo.exe

Making the Hsync Vsync Buffer
https://gamesx.com/grafx/dricas.gif

AV pinout and MODE chart
https://gamesx.com/avpinouts/xbox.htm

Interesting HDMI mod that could of output HVsync to the AV port
https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/view ... =13&t=3644

HEXEN CD - Use this to flash your bios, either via evoXdash+FTP or rebuilding the cd to include the file
https://assemblergames.com/threads/my-h ... 019.69926/

The Cable
Just buy a cheap 360 VGA cable and a cheap xbox AV cable and make your own with optical audio out :)
I've been looking for some consolidated info about this for awhile, so you were able to actually disable SOG successfully? I remember in that asg thread they were having some trouble.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

The hardest part really is making the bios file to suit your needs.
I have 0 clue how to patch a bios for 480p forced, Frostys VGA patcher is easy enough to use but wont force 480p on 480i titles.

480p forced bios generally dont work with editing tools and such, so the linked pack of edited editing tools is a god send

The bios pack I linked has a heap of prepatched for 480p 480i force AND VGA but they still have SOG.
Ive only played with evoXM8Plus so far but I was able to edit it with the included patched EVtool so it didnt do a drive check and had the correct HDD settings.
Then I saved it and fixed it with the included patcher.

I then Hex edited it. No SOG :)

Im unsure if you can just get a clean evoxM8plus and apply the patch fixer and then Hex edit and have it all work, but a quick test showed the correct code was present after patching but not before so....

I dont have a use for 128mb bios but im sure IND bios can be edited/Hex edited.

I was thinking of throwing a bios together for you guys to test as so much of this stuff is buried.

EvoXM8+ forced 480p no SOG partition 6 and 7 no drive check ?

Will Hex edit to suit both encoders you just need to source sync from either stripped video or restoring H and V sync. Custom cables im sure..

Until then here is a pack of stuff to try it yourself.

I have a bad feeling it only works for Conexant Encoders...
Spoiler
What id like to do is find a chip that i can use to replace my buffer and combine HVsync into Csync.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

As promised, EvoXM8_Plus No SOG bios pack.
Spoiler
rama

Post by rama »

An epic solder job by the way. I just had to mention that! ;p
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

When you got some guy making you remove then replace tiny little sync line caps you get pretty good lmao!!
Wasnt alot of room to play with, smarter would be in the cable and just jumper those sync points.

Just tried the same on Focus. No dice...

But focus looks mint with the stock vga files and a SOG monitor.

I was going to remove the buffer I installed in the FOCUS Xbox but seeing as you are here Rama I may keep it in for now.
I dont know anyone that is as skilled at tuning random undocumented registers as you so ill keep it for now on the off chance any of this interests you.
Most of the Hex and such is beyond me im just a builder :)

Here are the Focus pin outs for anyone interested.

Spoiler
Image/Spoiler]
Spoiler
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

So there's RGBHV, RGsB and RGB (Sync on composite video), but can the OG XBox output RGBS (pure sync)?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

The encoder only has 4 outputs and currently the 4th on RGBS is Video which locks out after 15k im sure.
There may be a way to configure it to output CS but its probably easier to just hijack and combine the H V signals.
jiml

Post by jiml »

Syntax wrote:If you can jumper the points that I posted and your vga cable buffers and amps sync it will work fine.
Edit just re read your post I see your cable takes sync from green. That wont work. If you can get it from comp video and clean it then it should fine.

Removing sync from green is part of the final video encoder and hex editing the bios bin will stop it putting SOG.
Hello there!
I've modded my v1.2 xbox(conexant) to output vga rgb with sync signals tapped from the motherboard(as seen here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61978&start=30).
When I use M8plus.(TRUEHD-VGA-) bios and mode 2+3, i get a crystal clear display at 720p. But when the dashboard/game outputs 480p(720x480p), the image is vertically compressed(vertical static lines). I've tried 3 different monitors and they all show the same effect. In one display that i can edit the coarse(clock) and fine(phase) settings, setting coarse to 858 makes the compression effect go away, but the image is horizontally overscanned by a big margin(1/8th of the image is lost). From what i've read, 858 are the active pixels for the EDTV 480p standard(858 or 852 in other instances).
Do you have this kind of vertical compression on your image when using 2+3 mode? Any idea how fix that?

Also when i patch any bios with the no_sog patches, i get no image with mode 2+3. Does the no_sog patch work only with 1+3 mode?
Ryeno

Post by Ryeno »

Syntax wrote:PS2 cannot do 480p via scart RGBS without a mod. It shuts off composite video and luma in progressive scan mode. It can RGsB but I find SOG compatible screens rare/hard to find.

Certain version Xbox can be modded to output VGA 480p RGBHV, but its a bit of work. Same with the PS2
All Sony VGA Trinitrons support SoG.
jiml

Post by jiml »

Is there a way to tell if the vertical banding is a monitor issue or some circuit noise?
The cpu caps are checked. The ones that were bulged have been replaced.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

jiml wrote:Is there a way to tell if the vertical banding is a monitor issue or some circuit noise?
I would try to input a similar signal into you monitor. (same frequency) to see if you get the same banding. Try to induce the banding by viewing a solid color screen (black or white is okay) and adjusting the brightness control up or down until you have a faint raster. If you can input a signal that is basically identical to your console signal, and you get no bands, then you can probably rule out the monitor as the issue.
Ryeno

Post by Ryeno »

jiml wrote:Is there a way to tell if the vertical banding is a monitor issue or some circuit noise?
You should replace all the CPU caps with Nichicon 2.5v FPCAPs, 5x1500uF or 3x2700uF (depending on if your motherboard has all 5 locations or only 3), regardless if they were budged or not. Low ESR is very important for the CPU VRM and modern caps are much better.

If you have video noise than the issue will likely be in the video circuit area. Recap the that rear area.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Syntax wrote:What id like to do is find a chip that i can use to replace my buffer and combine HVsync into Csync.
Don't know anything about a buffer (so this may not apply) but the newest Frozen VGA cables I have (not produced anymore I'm pretty sure) have a LMH1980 chip which will merge RGBHV to RGBS - have to bridge a pin off the chip to turn this on though.

jiml wrote:From what i've read, 858 are the active pixels for the EDTV 480p standard(858 or 852 in other instances).
480p seems to be a bit of the wild west. Just refreshed my memory via google and I'm seeing everything from 640, 704, 720, 858, 852, 848, 888 pixels wide lol... I know my 480p native plasma is 852 pixels wide...

For the OG Xbox, I always thought video output was 720 pixels wide though. And this didn't matter if it was 4:3 or 16:9 since it only does 480p widescreen anamorphically (so those same 720 pixels are just stretched wider for 16:9 mode - PLEASE correct if I'm wrong here). Tested this on my Corio2 scaler and that's what it says when I send the signal to it (tried to read it off my OSSC too, but weirdly says 524p??? 31.43kHz 59.98Hz). But these devices could be off - Corio2 says my Dreamcast is 720 too when I thought Dreamcast is PC standard VGA 640x480? so I don't get that unless it wasn't refreshing the signal or something...

I've been trying to figure all this out so I know how to adjust my TV/monitors geometry on my 2x OG Xbox's (one RGBS and the other YPbPr). Been using an Extron video tester which has these 3x distinct 480p-ish modes:

PC ........... VGA 31.5 kHz, 640x480 @ 60 Hz
HDTV ....... 480p: 31.5 kHz, 720x480 @ 60 Hz
16:9 HR .... 31.0 kHz, 848x480 @ 60 Hz
16:9 HR..... 31.8 kHz, 852x480 @ 60 Hz

OG Xbox, no matter how I adjust is ALL over the place. Artifacts on the outside edges of the loading menus of games, then the game plays fine. Or I'll set the geometry where the 480p FMV's are cropped to (thinking those are all rendered at 480p), then gameplay is cutting off a life meter or whatever... don't know quite how to set it up properly. Any thoughts about all this weirdness?

Ryeno wrote:You should replace all the CPU caps with Nichicon 2.5v FPCAPs, 5x1500uF or 3x2700uF (depending on if your motherboard has all 5 locations or only 3), regardless if they were budged or not. Low ESR is very important for the CPU VRM and modern caps are much better.

If you have video noise than the issue will likely be in the video circuit area. Recap the that rear area.
I think I might have to do this on mine. I'm a little bit unhappy with the picture on both my Xbox's (always striving for perfection... it's actually pretty nice still actually) and don't know what to try next:

1.4 OG Xbox, VGA BIOS mod, Frozen VGA cable (tried RGBHV and RGBS), getting some 'dancing pixels' (flickering on and off when they should be solid) when played on my 480p plasma. Some noise on solid colors. Will have to re-test but I'm pretty sure it's perfect on my multiformat CRT's. I also think the VGA signal is weak - works on a 6' or 10' cable in my server rack, but not on a ~15' (maybe 20') cable when I was testing directly to my plasma (circumventing the Crosspoint 3232 switcher). All Extron brand uber shielded, rated for like 100' with normal ~5vpp cables.

1.6 YPbPr (have 2x HD AV packs or whatever they're called + quality shielded cables) is slightly softer image than the VGA, has less dancing/flickering pixels, but have some slight shadows to the left of different graphics. That's usually cheap cables in my experience, but I'm using quality Extron, Liberty, etc. here (and tried multiple sets). Again, will have to retest but think is perfect on CRT in all regards (and furthermore think these video flaws - just like we notice WAY more when upscaling with OSSC to a 65" flatscreen or whatever – might just be because I'm looking at it on a larger and non-CRT type of screen).
jiml

Post by jiml »

Ryeno wrote:
You should replace all the CPU caps with Nichicon 2.5v FPCAPs, 5x1500uF or 3x2700uF (depending on if your motherboard has all 5 locations or only 3), regardless if they were budged or not. Low ESR is very important for the CPU VRM and modern caps are much better.

Actually when i first acquired this xbox, i checked all the caps with an ESR meter. And the ones that hadn't bulged showed low esr and the right capacity. If there is a problem with caps, it should be with the smaller filter ones i think. I don't rule the possibility of faulty power caps out, but I don't have a fuzzy signal, i get compressed vertical lines at 480p. At 720p the image i get is crystal clear.
I am using a pc power supply though...so it might be some unproper filtering going on. The video circuit area is something that I also thought about. It's the next hardware thing i'm gonna check i guess.
Dochartaigh wrote:
Syntax wrote:What id like to do is find a chip that i can use to replace my buffer and combine HVsync into Csync.
Don't know anything about a buffer (so this may not apply) but the newest Frozen VGA cables I have (not produced anymore I'm pretty sure) have a LMH1980 chip which will merge RGBHV to RGBS - have to bridge a pin off the chip to turn this on though.

jiml wrote:From what i've read, 858 are the active pixels for the EDTV 480p standard(858 or 852 in other instances).
480p seems to be a bit of the wild west. Just refreshed my memory via google and I'm seeing everything from 640, 704, 720, 858, 852, 848, 888 pixels wide lol... I know my 480p native plasma is 852 pixels wide...

For the OG Xbox, I always thought video output was 720 pixels wide though. And this didn't matter if it was 4:3 or 16:9 since it only does 480p widescreen anamorphically (so those same 720 pixels are just stretched wider for 16:9 mode - PLEASE correct if I'm wrong here). Tested this on my Corio2 scaler and that's what it says when I send the signal to it (tried to read it off my OSSC too, but weirdly says 524p??? 31.43kHz 59.98Hz). But these devices could be off - Corio2 says my Dreamcast is 720 too when I thought Dreamcast is PC standard VGA 640x480? so I don't get that unless it wasn't refreshing the signal or something...

I've been trying to figure all this out so I know how to adjust my TV/monitors geometry on my 2x OG Xbox's (one RGBS and the other YPbPr). Been using an Extron video tester which has these 3x distinct 480p-ish modes:

PC ........... VGA 31.5 kHz, 640x480 @ 60 Hz
HDTV ....... 480p: 31.5 kHz, 720x480 @ 60 Hz
16:9 HR .... 31.0 kHz, 848x480 @ 60 Hz
16:9 HR..... 31.8 kHz, 852x480 @ 60 Hz

OG Xbox, no matter how I adjust is ALL over the place. Artifacts on the outside edges of the loading menus of games, then the game plays fine. Or I'll set the geometry where the 480p FMV's are cropped to (thinking those are all rendered at 480p), then gameplay is cutting off a life meter or whatever... don't know quite how to set it up properly. Any thoughts about all this weirdness?

Ryeno wrote:You should replace all the CPU caps with Nichicon 2.5v FPCAPs, 5x1500uF or 3x2700uF (depending on if your motherboard has all 5 locations or only 3), regardless if they were budged or not. Low ESR is very important for the CPU VRM and modern caps are much better.

I think I might have to do this on mine. I'm a little bit unhappy with the picture on both my Xbox's (always striving for perfection... it's actually pretty nice still actually) and don't know what to try next:

1.4 OG Xbox, VGA BIOS mod, Frozen VGA cable (tried RGBHV and RGBS), getting some 'dancing pixels' (flickering on and off when they should be solid) when played on my 480p plasma. Some noise on solid colors. Will have to re-test but I'm pretty sure it's perfect on my multiformat CRT's. I also think the VGA signal is weak - works on a 6' or 10' cable in my server rack, but not on a ~15' (maybe 20') cable when I was testing directly to my plasma (circumventing the Crosspoint 3232 switcher). All Extron brand uber shielded, rated for like 100' with normal ~5vpp cables.

1.6 YPbPr (have 2x HD AV packs or whatever they're called + quality shielded cables) is slightly softer image than the VGA, has less dancing/flickering pixels, but have some slight shadows to the left of different graphics. That's usually cheap cables in my experience, but I'm using quality Extron, Liberty, etc. here (and tried multiple sets). Again, will have to retest but think is perfect on CRT in all regards (and furthermore think these video flaws - just like we notice WAY more when upscaling with OSSC to a 65" flatscreen or whatever – might just be because I'm looking at it on a larger and non-CRT type of screen).
Well mate we got somewhat same setup. I've got 2 xbox's. One v1.4 hardmoded to output vga(TRUE-VGA 2+3 mode), that the 480p is allover the place. Second one is a v1.6 YPbPr that shows great picture.
I'm starting to believe that the anamorphic widescreen is the problem that i'm facing with my lcd monitors. When i set the xbox to output 4:3, the vertical banding is still there though...but i'm not sure that it should have made any difference.

I'm gonna check back soon with more info when i get some spare time.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

jiml wrote: Well mate we got somewhat same setup. I've got 2 xbox's. One v1.4 hardmoded to output vga(TRUE-VGA 2+3 mode), that the 480p is allover the place. Second one is a v1.6 YPbPr that shows great picture.
I'm starting to believe that the anamorphic widescreen is the problem that i'm facing with my lcd monitors. When i set the xbox to output 4:3, the vertical banding is still there though...but i'm not sure that it should have made any difference.

I'm gonna check back soon with more info when i get some spare time.
All the "mode" stuff I'm just not familiar with, but whatever my 1.4 VGA (with Frozen cable) BIOS is setup as I can tell you it outputs proper 480p at least (which I think is 720 pixels wide, no matter if 4:3 or 16:9). If you tell me how to check (if it'll help you) I can tell you what VGA BIOS I'm using.

Actually, you mentioned vertical banding on your LCD. Does it look like one of these below?

The above is probably drastic since they're from my 2006 native-480p Panasonic plasma, and I don't see things like this in-game, just when I run analog test patterns off my Extron video tester. But both of those show a non-native 480p resolution, which doesn't exactly match the number of pixels my Plasma has. When I output a true 480p WIDESCREEN pattern which exactly matches the 852 pixels wide my Plasma is (and NOT the 720 pixel wide OG Xbox signal for example, which is stretched to 852 and which CAN introduce funkiness), it looks exactly perfect like this:

I think this might be something like what you're experiencing, like vol.2 mentioned (i.e. a problem with your monitor and not the Xbox). A 720p signal you said is fine - and that could be because that's a standard broadcast signal which the scaler in your monitor likes and can scale better, or you're using a 720p monitor (or a 4K which I believe 720p goes into with proper integer scaling).
Ryeno

Post by Ryeno »

Dochartaigh wrote: I think I might have to do this on mine. I'm a little bit unhappy with the picture on both my Xbox's (always striving for perfection... it's actually pretty nice still actually) and don't know what to try next:

I have a 1.0 Xbox. I'm using a modded AV Pack, converted to HD Pack. I flashed the Xecuter VGA Patched Bios. Monitor is a Sony Trinitron VGA, sync on green. Signal is 100% perfect.
Ryeno

Post by Ryeno »

jiml wrote: Actually when i first acquired this xbox, i checked all the caps with an ESR meter. And the ones that hadn't bulged showed low esr and the right capacity. If there is a problem with caps, it should be with the smaller filter ones i think. I don't rule the possibility of faulty power caps out, but I don't have a fuzzy signal, i get compressed vertical lines at 480p. At 720p the image i get is crystal clear..
All XBOX VRM caps are faulty besides the late model (v1.6?) Panasonic caps. That's why I said it's best to just replace them all, even if they test good.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

So is UnleashX the best way to disable the flicker filter? If so how does one install it? Does disabling it effect all games? Is it a set it and forget setting or do you have to disable it everytime you turn on the system?
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
jiml

Post by jiml »

Dochartaigh wrote:
All the "mode" stuff I'm just not familiar with, but whatever my 1.4 VGA (with Frozen cable) BIOS is setup as I can tell you it outputs proper 480p at least (which I think is 720 pixels wide, no matter if 4:3 or 16:9). If you tell me how to check (if it'll help you) I can tell you what VGA BIOS I'm using.

Actually, you mentioned vertical banding on your LCD. Does it look like one of these below?

The above is probably drastic since they're from my 2006 native-480p Panasonic plasma, and I don't see things like this in-game, just when I run analog test patterns off my Extron video tester. But both of those show a non-native 480p resolution, which doesn't exactly match the number of pixels my Plasma has. When I output a true 480p WIDESCREEN pattern which exactly matches the 852 pixels wide my Plasma is (and NOT the 720 pixel wide OG Xbox signal for example, which is stretched to 852 and which CAN introduce funkiness), it looks exactly perfect like this:

I think this might be something like what you're experiencing, like vol.2 mentioned (i.e. a problem with your monitor and not the Xbox). A 720p signal you said is fine - and that could be because that's a standard broadcast signal which the scaler in your monitor likes and can scale better, or you're using a 720p monitor (or a 4K which I believe 720p goes into with proper integer scaling).

Thanks a lot for your post!
Those pictures are exactly what i'm getting with 480p from xbox. The first one shows what my picture is like at default settings and the second one would be if i had messed around with the coarse setting of my lcd monitors(i've tried 4 different monitors by now.).
What i mean about the output modes can be understood from this picture
If you are using a frozen cable, the difference is that your sync signals are tapped from the composite sync pin or the green pin(that is after the conexant encoder ic). My custom cable taps directly to the horizontal and vertical sync of the gpu, before it gets fed to the encoder ic. It's shown in this thread by Syntax.
Syntax wrote:After a week of screwing around I have finally managed to put together a dual boot (TSOP and chip) True VGA no SOG forced 480p patched all 480i to run 480p bios Xbox 1.1 and restored and buffered the Vsync Hsync output to the AV port.

Works all the way up to 1080i if your run MODE 2+3 but you end up with purple flashes before games load.
MODE 1+2+3 seems nicer as there are no glitchy purple screens but I think it only does 480p.

Works fine with monitors not compatible with SOG :)
Spoiler

Sources
Spoiler
The NO SOG part
https://assemblergames.com/threads/xbox ... ded.61635/

Collection of prepatched 480p force/480i fix/VGA Bios that can be used with a HEX editor to create a NO SOG Bios
https://assemblergames.com/threads/forc ... ift.59122/

Free HEX editor
http://www.hhdsoftware.com/Download/fre ... or-neo.exe

Making the Hsync Vsync Buffer
https://gamesx.com/grafx/dricas.gif

AV pinout and MODE chart
https://gamesx.com/avpinouts/xbox.htm

Interesting HDMI mod that could of output HVsync to the AV port
https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/view ... =13&t=3644

HEXEN CD - Use this to flash your bios, either via evoXdash+FTP or rebuilding the cd to include the file
https://assemblergames.com/threads/my-h ... 019.69926/

The Cable
Just buy a cheap 360 VGA cable and a cheap xbox AV cable and make your own with optical audio out :)
I'll check if i can get better scaling with the type of sync you are using.
Your bios must be vga patched to output vga mode(1+3) properly. To see what type of bios you have, you need to load the evox dashboard with the hexen skin. If your bios has a known md5 signature, the evox dash will display the name of the bios.
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

Regarding Xbox games (with progressive mode enabled of course), I've always wondered what exactly makes titles such as Ninja Gaiden Black or Dead or Alive 2 much sharper and cleaner than say, Halo, Shenmue 2, or Panzer Dragoon Orta?

Is it a combination of sub-640x480p rendering on top of built-in aggressive antialiasing filters?
jiml

Post by jiml »

Ok, i've made some tests. I found my old crt monitor and tested the 480p of my vga xbox. The vertical compression is gone...The image is shown as is should. So it is indeed a monitor scaling issue, as Dochartaigh suggested. Interestingly enough, the crt monitor also recognizes the signal as 640x480 also.
So EDTV 480p and VGA 640x480 have similar horizontal sync clock frequency ~31,7kHz but different pixel clocks(EDTV@27Mhz vs VGA@25,125Mhz). Thats why i think all 3 of my monitors detect the xbox signal as 640x480.
Then i tried to fix a small fuzziness that is more pronounced on the top half of the picture when outputing at 480p(or maybe on the horizontal lines that have bright white pixels?!).
Ryeno wrote: All XBOX VRM caps are faulty besides the late model (v1.6?) Panasonic caps. That's why I said it's best to just replace them all, even if they test good.
First i replaced the VRM caps. Although i still don't think that fuzziness would indicate bad power caps. Bad power caps would insert system halts, artifacts or signs of not enough current. Although i've read a lot of similar comments about those caps, my personal experience is that they don't induce signal noise. Because the first time i checked them when i got the board, i could have easily made a mistake, i checked them again. They are 3800-4000uf (although rated 3300uf) and all have 0.00ohms ESR. Unless my component tester is faulty, or their characteristic response changed dramatically with temperature they seem pretty fine. The reason they go bad, in my case the one on the top right position has gone bad 2 times, is the inrush current and the discharge current. I can't test this assumption cause i don't have a oscilloscope. After changing them, the problem is still not fixed.

Next i connected in parallel with the yellow smd caps near the video out of the board, different capacity caps. The fuzziness seems to decrease slightly, independently of the cap capacitance. This could be just my imagination though...Changing the phase of the monitor changes the horizontal line that the fuzziness is more pronounced also.
At this point i think i'm gonna give up on this fuzziness. If i stand more than half a meter away from the monitor, the fuzziness is barely visible. It could be due to any smd cap on the board, or even my soldering or vga cable. On page 1-87, at the Figure 1-37 of the Conexant encoder datasheet, there is a low pass filter that should be bypassed when outputing rgb vga. This could lead to better colors i guess.