shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:31 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 2001 Xbox YPbPr output over a SCART cable possible?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:01 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Dec 2017
Posts: 84
I want to buy a high-quality cable for my original Xbox, but the original component cables for the Xbox are expensive, and they're only going to climb up in price. Third-party cables are an option, but I've heard that they are poorly made with bad shielding and audio buzz. For sale on Retro Gaming Cables UK is a high-quality SCART cable that can output RGB, as well as sync-on-green.

I want to know whether or not this cable can also carry YPbPr component video out of it, and I don't care about sync-on-green resolutions like 480p and higher. All I want is a high-quality component signal to my SD CRT television. For me, all I would have to do is attach a SCART head to Component RCA jack adapter to my cable output, and BAM! Good quality component video to my TV.

BTW, if there is a way for a SCART cable to output component video with 480p and higher, then tell me that too.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2001 Xbox YPbPr output over a SCART cable possible?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:16 pm 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 260
Logan Jones wrote:
I want to buy a high-quality cable for my original Xbox, but the original component cables for the Xbox are expensive, and they're only going to climb up in price. Third-party cables are an option, but I've heard that they are poorly made with bad shielding and audio buzz. For sale on Retro Gaming Cables UK is a high-quality SCART cable that can output RGB, as well as sync-on-green.

I want to know whether or not this cable can also carry YPbPr component video out of it, and I don't care about sync-on-green resolutions like 480p and higher. All I want is a high-quality component signal to my SD CRT television. For me, all I would have to do is attach a SCART head to Component RCA jack adapter to my cable output, and BAM! Good quality component video to my TV.

BTW, if there is a way for a SCART cable to output component video with 480p and higher, then tell me that too.

Looking at the Xbox's AV port schematics, it looks like you could get component over a SCART cable by ungrounding pin 17 (although, where RGC grounds that pin in that cable, I don't know).

That said, I would suggest getting in touch with RGC; they may be willing to build you a straight component cable.

Also note that, by foregoing the official Xbox HD Pack, you also forego digital audio (assuming it matters to you).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2001 Xbox YPbPr output over a SCART cable possible?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:21 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2013
Posts: 486
Location: Indiana
Logan Jones wrote:
I want to buy a high-quality cable for my original Xbox, but the original component cables for the Xbox are expensive, and they're only going to climb up in price. Third-party cables are an option, but I've heard that they are poorly made with bad shielding and audio buzz. For sale on Retro Gaming Cables UK is a high-quality SCART cable that can output RGB, as well as sync-on-green.

I want to know whether or not this cable can also carry YPbPr component video out of it, and I don't care about sync-on-green resolutions like 480p and higher. All I want is a high-quality component signal to my SD CRT television. For me, all I would have to do is attach a SCART head to Component RCA jack adapter to my cable output, and BAM! Good quality component video to my TV.

BTW, if there is a way for a SCART cable to output component video with 480p and higher, then tell me that too.


This page has some info that you will need:

https://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/xbox.htm

The gist is that you don't want PIN17 grounded. This will allow you to have YPbPr output over an RGB cable. You could ask retrogaming cables to make a you a special cable or do some special wiring inside the console.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2001 Xbox YPbPr output over a SCART cable possible?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:45 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Dec 2017
Posts: 84
Thanks for the info, guys! BTW, how would I make such a request to RGC for making a special component cable? And how much would it cost?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2001 Xbox YPbPr output over a SCART cable possible?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:15 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2013
Posts: 486
Location: Indiana
Logan Jones wrote:
Thanks for the info, guys! BTW, how would I make such a request to RGC for making a special component cable? And how much would it cost?


I would purchase the Xbox RGB cable and in the comments, say you do NOT want pin 17 grounded. Then after placing the order follow up with an email, to make sure they saw your request.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2001 Xbox YPbPr output over a SCART cable possible?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:52 pm 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 260
Logan Jones wrote:
Thanks for the info, guys! BTW, how would I make such a request to RGC for making a special component cable? And how much would it cost?

Their website has a contact form you can use.

citrus3000psi wrote:
I would purchase the Xbox RGB cable and in the comments, say you do NOT want pin 17 grounded. Then after placing the order follow up with an email, to make sure they saw your request.

It would be really neat if the RGB/SCART cable could be fit with a switch for pin 17, so it could be switched between RGBS and YPbPr; then it could still be used as a regular RGB cable.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2001 Xbox YPbPr output over a SCART cable possible?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:27 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Dec 2017
Posts: 84
There's this new Xbox HDMI cable that came out recently:

https://www.amazon.com/HD-Link-Cable-Or ... +xbox+hdmi

Does anyone have any info on it? Like, is it well made and won't fry the system?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2001 Xbox YPbPr output over a SCART cable possible?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:30 pm 



Joined: 07 Apr 2016
Posts: 1103
Location: Ohio
The official OEM Xbox component cables are pocket change in terms of price compared to the official Nintendo GameCube component cables.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2001 Xbox YPbPr output over a SCART cable possible?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:19 pm 



Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 113
GeneraLight wrote:
The official OEM Xbox component cables are pocket change in terms of price compared to the official Nintendo GameCube component cables.

That says more about the GameCube cables than Xbox cables...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bestinshow, marqs, werk91 and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group