Anyone with PS-2 Flip-top?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
WarCheese

Anyone with PS-2 Flip-top?

Post by WarCheese »

Hello fellow Shmuppers:

I like to ask those of you who have brought a flip-top case for your PS-2 to tell me how it's working out for you. I am considering buying one so I can play those Cave Imported games.

Cheers.

WarCheese
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

All 3 of the Cave games without a hitch on my v9 with Swap Magic 3.3. I hear if you have a slim, you don't even need a fliptop though.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I've had mixed results with swapmagic...the CD version only loads like 1 out of every 5 attempts (lots of disc clicking...probably killing my drive). Its because of the "copy protection" rings on the disc which try to trick the PS2 to load unsigned code. DVD version loads ok for me but can only play DVD media games (which means won't work with recent taito CD based shmups).

When you can get swapmagic to run, it works with all Japan region games I've used so far. Does NOT work with Korean region games (I have failed to get it to work with XII Stag and Psyvariar Complete Korean version).

Lastly, I have used the fliptop and swapmagic to load the independance "hack" on my memory card, so I can now play imports off HD and boot directly into HDL. Loading games on the HD extrenally through a PC with IDE connections. Please refer to ps2hd.com for more info on this, as this is to complex a discussion for this board.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Didn't know about the Korean region thing. The JP XII Stag works perfectly of course. I've also had no trouble using Swap Magic DVD on all games, DVD and CD. It does seem that some systems have trouble reading Swap Magic, or maybe just v3.6, but I've never experienced any issues before. What system and Swap Magic version do you have, Dave_K.?
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

Dave_K. wrote:I've had mixed results with swapmagic...the CD version only loads like 1 out of every 5 attempts (lots of disc clicking...probably killing my drive). Its because of the "copy protection" rings on the disc which try to trick the PS2 to load unsigned code. DVD version loads ok for me but can only play DVD media games (which means won't work with recent taito CD based shmups).

When you can get swapmagic to run, it works with all Japan region games I've used so far. Does NOT work with Korean region games (I have failed to get it to work with XII Stag and Psyvariar Complete Korean version).

Lastly, I have used the fliptop and swapmagic to load the independance "hack" on my memory card, so I can now play imports off HD and boot directly into HDL. Loading games on the HD extrenally through a PC with IDE connections. Please refer to ps2hd.com for more info on this, as this is to complex a discussion for this board.

I kinda have the same problem. My PS2 is a Japanese first-gen with a very old mod-chip (which lets you play backup / copied PS1 games). My Swap Magic is ver. 3.3, Japan build. DVD-based games work fine, but the CD-based games don't really work at all.

I've compared it to my cousin's US PS2 & Swap Magic combo and his works flawlessly. His discs don't spin when you take out them out, but mine do. How about yours?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I have swapmagic v3.2 for the CD version, and v2.0 for the DVD version. The disc stops spinning on mine once swapmagic program loads.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Moved to Hardware discussions.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
SAM

Post by SAM »

It would still be best to use a Japanese PS2. Since all those region breaking device got some problem of their own.

If you need to operate at 220V, you could acquire an official Asian (Offical Hong Kong Model actually) PS2. It plays NTSC-J games, plus it got English console menu, and most importantly works at 220V.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-o-70-e77.html

EDIT: It even cheaper than the Japanese PS2 too.

EDIT AGAIN: Play-Asia seems to say the adoptor works for 100V to 230V.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*