shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:08 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: N64 noise on solid white screen ... ??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:59 pm 

I have possibly the same problem with leonk (videos on first page are not available anymopre) and the horizontial line flickering with my N64 RGB mod using Etim's board on my pal N64 using a Gamecube RGB scart and sync at CS75. You can see it on the video just above the Mario A and Mario B there is a horizontal flickering. I already shorten the wires in order to fix the red nose and ears artifacts on Mario 64 and all my connections have been tested with a multimeter and seem ok.

https://youtu.be/tNFPUABUENs

Could you please explain the best and easiest way to fix it (i think is the 5volt line instead of 3.3v) because by reading the topic you talk about 2 noise problems so a final and easy diagram and specific parts used would be very helpful. Also Bortis initially advised to get the 5v from the pin10 of multi out, so why use an LDO?

Also have a Happy new Year!!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:50 pm 

You have to cut a few traces ect but heres 2 pics of places that you can install the LDO.

https://imgur.com/a/3ypX3GZ

Tims board requires a 3.3v LDO so it has to be done for his boards.

Bortis boards work better without modding as they run off 5v only.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:35 pm 

Thank you. I ve just ordered the parts and i will look everything again even though Thomas83lin installation seems easier for me since there are no cut traces on n64rgb board....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:00 pm 

You have to cut traces on Tims board, there's no way around it. Part of the board needs 5v the other needs 3.3v.

Make sure you have a good understanding of what needs to be done before powering up the system or you could fry something.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:56 am 

Thomas83lin wrote:
leonk wrote:
Awesome! Can you show pics of the install, or draw a back of a paper napkin diagram on how one can accomplish the same thing?

I don't mind showing pics of the install, but I was just following the instructions of Syntax and borti4938. I did use 2x 10uf 16v caps which I believe will work fine.

Sorry about the mess but here is the install Pics
https://www.mediafire.com/view/6cnj4g7a ... g7awam6c6x

I soldered the 3.3v ldo big ground tab to the power switch housing ground for ground and hopefully good heat dissipation and disconnected the mod kits original 3.3v by cutting the wire instead of cutting a trace. everything else should speak for itself.

If I'm not mistaken according to this I just have to unsolder the 3.3v power of n64rgb coming from n64 video chip. Is there something more i have to do or cut?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:02 am 

It's a good idea to run the video amp off 5v instead of 3.3v.
If you dont care about that then no trace cuts :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:45 am 

Syntax wrote:
It's a good idea to run the video amp off 5v instead of 3.3v.
If you dont care about that then no trace cuts :)

Thank you for the confirmation. If I want though to run it through 5v which traces exactly I have to cut. In your photos I can see only one cut. A more detailed diagram or photo would be very helpful in order not to burn anything...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:29 pm 

Something else i have noticed but i don't have the time now to test again on my N64. Maybe someone has the time and will to test.

Before shortening my wires from the VDC to N64RGB for about 10cm (now it is around the length like the Syntax's installation), even though i had the red nose and ears artifacts on Mario64 start screen, i hadn't noticed before the horizontal noise-flicker due to the noisy 3.3v line. After the shortening of the wires the noise is visible. Maybe is just placebo or bad memory. Is it possible the 3.3v wire form the VDC to N64RGB if it is long enough this noise gets so low that is not visible on screen?

I will try it when parts for the actual fix arrive and disassemble again my N64 to install...

Also now when im using an s video on my crt the flickering is not visible. On my ossc with rgb though is there....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:32 pm 

I just ordered the board borti made to solve this issue and now I'm wondering, just to be sure, on this picture https://imgur.com/a/Y31PzCB where is the board supposed to be mounted? And also, is it component side of the board up against the main board or down towards the bottom side of the console?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:27 am 

arebokert wrote:
I just ordered the board borti made to solve this issue and now I'm wondering, just to be sure, on this picture https://imgur.com/a/Y31PzCB where is the board supposed to be mounted? And also, is it component side of the board up against the main board or down towards the bottom side of the console?

https://i.imgur.com/BUbLRdl.jpg

console mods

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:55 pm 

It did not solve issues for me. I’ve done 3 of them now. The only sure bet is to lift ground on multiAV and connect it to RGB amp. There are too many ground loops in N64.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:07 am 

unmaker wrote:
arebokert wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/BUbLRdl.jpg

Thank you! I will have a go as soon as all components arrive :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:14 am 

leonk wrote:
It did not solve issues for me. I’ve done 3 of them now. The only sure bet is to lift ground on multiAV and connect it to RGB amp. There are too many ground loops in N64.

The problem with viletims design and my N64RGBv1 (which will probably be discontinued quite soon) is that the digital and analog domain is simply separated using R2R ladder, which is not optimal in point of view; especially with the rather long ground wire of the conventional installation method (modding board placed on top of the heat spreader).

Have you ever tried my N64RGBv2, where digital and analog domain is separated a video DAC IC? If not, I would be happy to send you a kit.

BR

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:45 pm 

I'm reporting that using Thomas83lin installation for the 3.3v line my video problem was fixed. Thank you for your support!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5