Extron DSC 301 HD - a possible long shot...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Xaranar

Extron DSC 301 HD - a possible long shot...

Post by Xaranar »

Hey all

As the subject line suggests, this is going to be a long shot, but I have just gotten an Extron DSC 301 HD scaler to use in tandem with my OSSC, and I want to update it to the latest firmware version. The problem is, Extron won't let you download any of their software without an Insider Account, and trying to get one of those is not a straightforward process. So, I'm wondering if anyone here has any of the firmware files and/or tool for upgrading said firmware.

Cheers!
Dochartaigh

Re: Extron DSC 301 HD - a possible long shot...

Post by Dochartaigh »

Email them and tell them what part of the country you'e in. They'll put you in touch with your local rep who I had no problem getting multiple software items from, manuals, etc.
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar »

Dochartaigh wrote:Email them and tell them what part of the country you'e in. They'll put you in touch with your local rep who I had no problem getting multiple software items from, manuals, etc.
You're lucky, I rang their UK office and they told me they couldn't help me as I'm not a corporation.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Xaranar wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:Email them and tell them what part of the country you'e in. They'll put you in touch with your local rep who I had no problem getting multiple software items from, manuals, etc.
You're lucky, I rang their UK office and they told me they couldn't help me as I'm not a corporation.
Email them in the USA and tell them you're from Philadelphia, PA - they've been more than helpful for me.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Xaranar wrote:
I have also had positive experiences with Extron support--they have provided me all the resources I ask for.

Off topic (but support related):
Speaking of the UK, you have Calibre right there local. I'm sorry your home is associated with that sh*t show.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

This post is old but I was researching the Extron DSC 301 HD and came across this - if you still need the firmware PM me, I have it (and the installer program, and I think a controller program as well although I haven't tried that yet).
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

orange808 wrote:
Xaranar wrote:
I have also had positive experiences with Extron support--they have provided me all the resources I ask for.

Off topic (but support related):
Speaking of the UK, you have Calibre right there local. I'm sorry your home is associated with that sh*t show.
that's funny because I asked their support for a firmware download and the guy wouldn't do shit for me since I wasn't one of their "partners"
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

maxtherabbit wrote:that's funny because I asked their support for a firmware download and the guy wouldn't do shit for me since I wasn't one of their "partners"
Same here, you need to be part of a corporation of something like that.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

The only customer service that lied to me about their product and played shell games with me was Calibre.

As for Extron, I have purchased some gear from them, so that helps. They have events with demos as well. Try attending one and chatting up the rep a little. The Extron people I have met are very enthusiastic about their products and the reputation they have built.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

orange808 wrote:The only customer service that lied to me about their product and played shell games with me was Calibre.
I am not sure how refusing to provide downloadable software to people who are not part of their VIP club has to do with lying?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Lawfer wrote:
orange808 wrote:The only customer service that lied to me about their product and played shell games with me was Calibre.
I am not sure how refusing to provide downloadable software to people who are not part of their VIP club has to do with lying?
When I contact a company regarding their gear, I don't expect (or appreciate) obfuscation and half truths.

There's really nothing worse than that.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Extron is really hit or miss with customer service. Their local rep is awesome and has sent me everything I've ever asked for and even gives me tips - but he does have to get it approved by somebody since I'm not a 'partner' - he still gets it to me the same day or next day.

The other guy I talked to (I assume at corporate) made it seem like he was doing me a big favor - said something like "as a ONE TIME ONLY courtesy" we'll give you what you asked for...even after I gave him a list of literally 15+ Extron devices I own and their serial numbers...I seriously have over $100,000 MSRP worth of Extron equipment (MSRP on my Crosspoint 3232 was $42,000 alone back in 2005 if my memory serves), and I still feel like I have to jump through hoops to get the software...software that EVERY other company I've ever heard of, bar none (ok, maybe Terraonion with my SSDS3 only gives firmware if you provide them the serial # of your unit and are registered with them) literally has listed on their website free to the public as it should be.