Sony PVM 20M4 Shaking Image

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
PogOrion

Sony PVM 20M4 Shaking Image

Post by PogOrion »

I have a Sony PVM 20M4E. When switched on with nothing connected the "NO SYNC" text and menu items will continuously shake left and right, more so to the edges of the screen, the center of the screen is more stable but still has a shake. This is the same on all inputs selections.
With 240p/480i content the shake is still there.
I've tried adjusting all service menu settings but nothing stops it.
Funnily enough, if I change to 288p (50Hz) content the shake goes and I get a fairly stable image but with one exception, the edges now wave slowly, almost like a lava lamp type effect, but no shaking is present.
I have a PVM 14ME without such problems.
Anyone know what the problem might be?
Last edited by PogOrion on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
buttersoft

Re: Sony PVM 20M4 Shaking Image

Post by buttersoft »

Well, this is almost a total guess, but from elsewhere on the web (because i was looking at a problem like this but the set died completely before i got to it)...
Ismus be your lucky day ! C584 causes retrace at top of CRT, distorted
(curved corners) in underscan mode = C572 & C592 causes a noisy
picture with excessive jitter. You didn't change all the capacitors or
not in the deflection area. Good Luck
On the schematic on P74/75 (printed number not pdf page) of the service manual for the PVM-1354Q (same deflection section, i believe, but check against the 20M4E manual, of course) C572 is at ref 12/E and C592 is at ref 13/K.

Would love to hear if this does actually help.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

buttersoft wrote: Would love to hear if this does actually help.
It should, shake or jitter is usually caps in the deflection area. Also make sure your cables are properly shielde, not messed-up, and nothing around it is messing with the monitor (even another monitor next to it running a different signal can sometimes make things like this happen).
Mydadcameback

Post by Mydadcameback »

I doubt it, but does anyone know how to fix this/if the posted fix works? Thanks.
famiac

Post by famiac »

I just fixed this problem in a PVM-1350.
The STR-S3115 B+ voltage regulator was bad. it should read 114 to 115 volts but it was outputting 119V on mine. replacing the regulator and the caps mentioned earlier in the thread solved the issue.