Super SD System 3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ErebusMaligan

Re: Super SD System 3

Post by ErebusMaligan »

Yeah, i had read that somewhere early on as well, and thus it's always been off for me

EDIT: Actually the option doesn't seem to matter, whether on or off, run + select seem to reset to the cd-rom system card load menu. Even after power cycling, turning it off doesn't seem to actually take effect at all. It's marked off, but still seems to be on. So maybe that is the issue, but it doesn't seem to accept a setting of "off"
broken

Post by broken »

ErebusMaligan wrote:Yeah, i had read that somewhere early on as well, and thus it's always been off for me

EDIT: Actually the option doesn't seem to matter, whether on or off, run + select seem to reset to the cd-rom system card load menu. Even after power cycling, turning it off doesn't seem to actually take effect at all. It's marked off, but still seems to be on. So maybe that is the issue, but it doesn't seem to accept a setting of "off"

Have you ever used a PC Engine CD rom addon or a Duo?

Because that behavior is totally normal.

On those systems if you press Run + Start it resets the game back to the CDrom "Press Run button" screen. So the SSDS3 mimics that behavior.

When in Game Trigger is enabled, you have to hold that button combo down for 3 to 4 seconds to exit back to the SSDS3 menu.

As far as Ys Book I and II freezing, you might want to look for another rip of the game. I haven't experienced that freezing yet. However I did experience a bug that wiped out my game save, but that has been corrected with the firmware (as far as I know) that ships with Rev 2 boards. And I am sure there will be more firmware updates around the corner for it.
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

BuckoA51 wrote:Fair enough, I have a DVDO Edge at the moment that shows noise on 50hz sources, while 60hz is just fine, so just got me thinking.
I seem to remember the neosd team posting something to the effect that they had only tested it on ntsc systems. And that it would hopefully run on pal. I could be remembering wrong though.
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

So I watched Voultar's live stream today where he was talking about the work he's done on the SSDS3 v1 to fix issues, while he was playing some games on it. Hopefully he won't mind me transcribing some of the knowledge, and also comparing with my v2 (he doesn't have a v2 yet, but it's apparently on the way).

(with what I interpreted from his video) He's saying he completely fixed his v1 by basically doing 3 things:
1.) Isolated analog ground from digital ground (v2 fixes this)
2.) Completely replacing the RGB amp on the SSDS3 v1 with (a maybe modified version of?) his IFU-RGB board. He's working on some RGB board specially designed for the SSDS3 (appears it will also have a jumper you can set if using it for a v2).
3.) Replacing the stock 1 amp 7805 voltage regulator in his TG16/PCE with a modern 1.5 amp version. According to him a lot of PCE/TG16 systems are noisy, so a newer higher amperage regulator can help reduce that noise. I believe he said something to the effect of ideally the SSDS3 would've been designed to have the power brick plugged into it to use a more modern voltage regulator and then it supply power to the TG16/PCE.

How I'm assuming these might relate to v2:
1.) Not applicable since v2 already isolates analog ground from digital ground
2.) From what I gather, the RGB amp in the v2 is closer to Voultar's design, but still has some differences. From what I gather, at the very least it looks like Voultar's design handles csync and composite video differently. All I know is when I put one of his internal RGB amps in my Core Grafx, that greatly reduced the noise issues I was seeing from the SSDS3 v2. His internal amp I used doesn't do anything with composite video, and I'm not using composite for anything so I have no idea if the internal amp would help if you're using composite video for sync.
3.) I'm under the impression replacing the voltage regulator in the TG16/PCE will help with noise on a v2 as well. I've actually got a package arriving early next week with a few 78S05's (2 amp) that I'd ordered for tinkering with something else. I'll try putting one of those in when they arrive.
FBX

Post by FBX »

cr4zymanz0r wrote:So I watched Voultar's live stream today where he was talking about the work he's done on the SSDS3 v1 to fix issues, while he was playing some games on it. Hopefully he won't mind me transcribing some of the knowledge, and also comparing with my v2 (he doesn't have a v2 yet, but it's apparently on the way).

(with what I interpreted from his video) He's saying he completely fixed his v1 by basically doing 3 things:
2.) Completely replacing the RGB amp on the SSDS3 v1 with (a maybe modified version of?) his IFU-RGB board. He's working on some RGB board specially designed for the SSDS3 (appears it will also have a jumper you can set if using it for a v2).
3.) Replacing the stock 1 amp 7805 voltage regulator in his TG16/PCE with a modern 1.5 amp version. According to him a lot of PCE/TG16 systems are noisy, so a newer higher amperage regulator can help reduce that noise. I believe he said something to the effect of ideally the SSDS3 would've been designed to have the power brick plugged into it to use a more modern voltage regulator and then it supply power to the TG16/PCE.
Yeah he calls the modified IFU-RGB board the "FU-RGB" board.

I myself have decided I'm going to go "all the way" and just get a Supergrafx system to combine with the SSDS3. We're talking like $600 in total, but I figure I might as well kill everything in one shot when it comes to the PCE stuff.
ErebusMaligan

Post by ErebusMaligan »

broken wrote:Have you ever used a PC Engine CD rom addon or a Duo?

Because that behavior is totally normal.
Well condescension aside, yes I have a Duo-R. I have just never had a reason to hold run + select. I'm not really sure I understand wtf the point of that behavior is. That aside, i'll see if I can find another copy of the game, although I don't know how likely that is.

Also if it's supposed to be hold that combo for 3-4 sec to get back to the ssds3 menu when in-game trigger is enabled, that doesn't seem to work for me. I can only get that default reset behavior, never back into the ssds3 menu from a cd or card game.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

I don’t think there was any condescension intended: all PC Engine games support reset by holding Start and pressing Select. The intent with the SSDS3 was to have a method to return to the game selection by holding that for longer. Some games don’t play well with their implementation, however.

If you have a SuperGrafx, you may need to flip the compatibility switch to get a cleaner experience.
ErebusMaligan

Post by ErebusMaligan »

well, if the question wasn't meant to be condescending, then my apologies to broken.

As far as the in game trigger, yeah I had read from some early rev 1 owners that turning it off seemed to fix some issues. Also worth noting that it wasn't working for me at all when turned on, this seems to be an artifact of the multitap device. When i plugged the controller straight into the console the in-game trigger now works. So maybe that is helpful to someone.
ErebusMaligan

Post by ErebusMaligan »

broken wrote:As far as Ys Book I and II freezing, you might want to look for another rip of the game.
Most of the ones I could find were really just renamed copies of the same bin/cue rip. size comes out the same, crc comes up identical. I did find one iso/cue copy, that seemed to present the same issue. If I just kept saving every few sec, somewhere in the 5-7 time it would just freeze.
Pete2014

Post by Pete2014 »

cr4zymanz0r wrote:So I watched Voultar's live stream today where he was talking about the work he's done on the SSDS3 v1 to fix issues, while he was playing some games on it. Hopefully he won't mind me transcribing some of the knowledge, and also comparing with my v2 (he doesn't have a v2 yet, but it's apparently on the way).

How I'm assuming these might relate to v2:
1.) Not applicable since v2 already isolates analog ground from digital ground
2.) From what I gather, the RGB amp in the v2 is closer to Voultar's design, but still has some differences. From what I gather, at the very least it looks like Voultar's design handles csync and composite video differently. All I know is when I put one of his internal RGB amps in my Core Grafx, that greatly reduced the noise issues I was seeing from the SSDS3 v2. His internal amp I used doesn't do anything with composite video, and I'm not using composite for anything so I have no idea if the internal amp would help if you're using composite video for sync.
3.) I'm under the impression replacing the voltage regulator in the TG16/PCE will help with noise on a v2 as well. I've actually got a package arriving early next week with a few 78S05's (2 amp) that I'd ordered for tinkering with something else. I'll try putting one of those in when they arrive.
I watched that stream also. Ironically rev2 users might end up being the worst off, if TO revise the board again based on Voultar advice then Rev1 exchanges will probably get a fixed Rev3. It seems the unofficial plan for us rev2 users is we will have to spend more money on a separate RGB board. Oh well.

I'm interested to know what kind of noise you are still getting after you installed the internal RGB amp, is it thin scrolling diagonal lines? And do you get the same noise without the SSDS3 attached?

I don't have the Voultar amp but I do have one of Tim's AV Drivers, I am planning to fit that and see if it fixes those diagonal lines, which it should if I am bypassing the SSDS3 completely. Although I want to wait until Voultar gets his revision 2 and find out what the final verdict is.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

Are there instructions coming?
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

coregrafx 2 with ssd3 into ossc here. revision 2 board. RCA basic genesis 2 csync scart cable, genesis 1 psu, gaming monitor.

getting the faint diagonal lines everyone is talking about. really only visible in green/blues like in bonk's adventure and they're not that bad at all really. scanlines help a lot. noise goes crazy when turning the lpf off on ossc but whatever, that's what it's for. have pretty prominent vertical jailbars but this is just my unmodded console.

not hearing the sound buzzing issue everyone is talking about but i'm just using the shitty/tinny gaming monitor speakers at the moment. will try to test that on a better system later.

those of you who know me know I love to bitch about products, but overall I have to concur with Voultar. really great piece of kit and its a pleasure getting to play castlevania x and sapphire for the first time, just for starters. will probably try to flip that backwards capacitor at some point just because i'm anal. and definitely need to do the jailbar fix. but overall this is one hell of a great product i must say.

buy with confidence, no need to wait for another revision, and don't think terraonion really need to make one — provided they can fix the audio buzzing some are experiencing with software.

@voultar could you maybe do a little tutorial video on how to flip the capacitor for total newbs such as myself? picked up a cheapo hot air gun on amazon just for the task. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RK2M2Y
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

oh ya quick question, what does the file name need to be to display thumbnails for specific games in the ssd3 menu?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I'm just going off this photo of the 2nd revision board but its apparent that they are still building csync from H+V which was against Voultars recommendations back in January.... (U11-U6)
Looks like the only thing they did was separate the grounds. Pretty stupid after getting solid advice.
https://s14.postimg.org/xjkqg7eap/IMG_0426.jpg
Composite video is also being buffered via the 7374. :(

Its probably going to be much easier fitting a bypass board than routing csync to the 7374 and driving composite correctly.
Jumpingmanjim

Post by Jumpingmanjim »

Is doing a recap recommended on the PC engine, or is it just a PC Engine Duo thing?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I'd like to recap my speculation post now that I have my SSDS3 in my hands.

Csync is not built with h and v sync on revision 2.
Well, it is but its not used. R19 has been removed to stop the rebuilt sync from getting to the din plug.

Csync now originates from csync, and is buffered on the underside of the board. (U16)

I will be removing U11 U6 from the h v circuit as I'm a little paranoid that XOR could cause interference. Probably fine though.

Actually, if U16 is appropriate to drive composite video it's only a few wires maybe a cap to make everything like Voultars setup.
Gara

Post by Gara »

Received my Super SD today and it's the latest batch. Mailed on the 5th and received today on the 9th.

https://imgur.com/a/s9j6A

Box was a little dinged and there is a little mark on the board. Guessing they are burning the midnight oil reopening every box and hastily switching the component.

Now to get this sucker hooked up.
loukey

Post by loukey »

So jealous of you guys. They mailed mine on the 20th and it doesn't even show as being the the US yet. I think it got lost enroute and I am not exactly sure what I ought to do. :(
Gara

Post by Gara »

loukey wrote:So jealous of you guys. They mailed mine on the 20th and it doesn't even show as being the the US yet. I think it got lost enroute and I am not exactly sure what I ought to do. :(
What method did it go out? I paid for the cheapest method but was upgraded since they changed over to DHL. The old mailing partner was really slow. Cheap but you're still in the normal waiting period for it.
loukey

Post by loukey »

Gara wrote:
loukey wrote:So jealous of you guys. They mailed mine on the 20th and it doesn't even show as being the the US yet. I think it got lost enroute and I am not exactly sure what I ought to do. :(
What method did it go out? I paid for the cheapest method but was upgraded since they changed over to DHL. The old mailing partner was really slow. Cheap but you're still in the normal waiting period for it.
Correos - mine shipped day or so before they flipped to DHL.

I wouldn't be worried if there was some tracking, but track17.net shows it left spain on the 29th, and then radio silence since.
Gara

Post by Gara »

loukey wrote:
Gara wrote:
Correos - mine shipped day or so before they flipped to DHL.

I wouldn't be worried if there was some tracking, but track17.net shows it left spain on the 29th, and then radio silence since.
You should be good. I recall them commenting something about Correos not providing updates once it reaches the US. It happens a lot on my other international shipments. Either not getting updates at all once it reaches the US or no updates until it's actually delivered. I wouldn't worry.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

Anyone figure out how to add thumbnails?

Also is Macross 2036 not working for anyone else? Only game I've found that doesn't, just goes dead with the led constantly blinking after the menu & selection screens.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

remind me, which games were supposed to show noise on the first revision Super SD System 3?

Because I'm getting some weird results...

CoreGrafx 2 with Voultars mod - No SSD3 - Jailbars from hell but no picture noise
CoreGrafx 2 with Voultars mod - SSD3 Rev 1 - Jailbars and a ton of picture noise
Supergrafx with Voultars mod - No SSD3 - Jailbar free but minor sparkly picture noise in darker greys
Supergrafx with Voultars mod - SSD3 Rev 1 - Jailbar and noise free in 240p test suite.. looks perfect to me

RGB on PC Engine hardware is enough to make you want to tear your hair out.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

BuckoA51 wrote:remind me, which games were supposed to show noise on the first revision Super SD System 3?

Because I'm getting some weird results...

CoreGrafx 2 with Voultars mod - No SSD3 - Jailbars from hell but no picture noise
CoreGrafx 2 with Voultars mod - SSD3 Rev 1 - Jailbars and a ton of picture noise
Supergrafx with Voultars mod - No SSD3 - Jailbar free but minor sparkly picture noise in darker greys
Supergrafx with Voultars mod - SSD3 Rev 1 - Jailbar and noise free in 240p test suite.. looks perfect to me

RGB on PC Engine hardware is enough to make you want to tear your hair out.
Hi,

which "voultars mod" are you talking about? Just asking because I might want to mod my supergrafx as well to get best possible picture out of it
thanks
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

BuckoA51 wrote:remind me, which games were supposed to show noise on the first revision Super SD System 3?
The huge green border in the Valis 2 intro is by far the most noticeable I've seen so far.
Kez

Post by Kez »

tusecsy wrote:Anyone figure out how to add thumbnails?
Yeah you download the GameDbManager from Terraonion (they posted a link somewhere on the ng forums), run it and hit "scan roms" then point it to your SD card. It scans all the files and creates database files containing all the info for the SSDS3 to read.

Last I checked they say it's still unfinished, I'm taking that to mean that they still need to add a lot of games but if you have the patience you can easily add your games manually using the tool.

I think for CD pretty much only the redump set has been added (which is missing a lot of games), so if you source the files elsewhere then you won't get screenshots unless you add them to the tool yourself.

EDIT: found the link for anyone who may not be able to access the NG forums for whatever reason ;)

http://www.neosdstore.com/news/wp-conte ... ager-3.zip
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Hi,

which "voultars mod" are you talking about? Just asking because I might want to mod my supergrafx as well to get best possible picture out of it
thanks
The one here - http://voultar.com/index.php?route=prod ... duct_id=53
The huge green border in the Valis 2 intro is by far the most noticeable I've seen so far.
Ah yes, I get noise with Voultar's mod and the SSD in that green border.
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

Ah yes, I get noise with Voultar's mod and the SSD in that green border.[/quote]

which output are you using? SSD3 or the one from the modded pc engine/supegrafx?
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I get noise on that green border using both the SSD3 and the Voultar mod output. With Voultar's mod output I'm also getting some noise in dark grey areas.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

BuckoA51 wrote:I get noise on that green border using both the SSD3 and the Voultar mod output. With Voultar's mod output I'm also getting some noise in dark grey areas.
I don't think Voultar's mod or the SSD3 itself can reduce the jailbars that are rampant on most turbo/pce revisions. I believe you have to do the jailbar fix internally on the console. I could be wrong on this though, I haven't done the fix myself.