Super SD System 3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Eatitup_86

Re: Super SD System 3

Post by Eatitup_86 »

svensonson wrote:Just wondering when I will get mine replaced. Did anyone sent his already
back for replacement?
Unfortunately they are prioritizing new orders over replacing our initial boards. I am not sure why they don't just send us the new boards before we send the others back. Not really sure what they could do with the old ones besides toss em in the trash. Maybe they have some process to salvage a few parts from them.

*Question*
Hi there NeoSD / Alex,

Should we mail our boards back directly now or is the plan to have US customers send the boards to a state-side source still in play?

**Response**
Hello,

We are working against clock to have the new website ready, once we have it done we will use the actual website server for the forum.

Please, be patient, we are doing our best but the day dosen´t has more hours.

BTW i got news from factory : we will have SSDS3 friday or monday (i think it will be friday).

As soon as we are back in stock we will start shipping pending orders but we are going to reserve pcbs for the exchange.

Just give us some space please, we are the more interested ones on solve that and move forward.

Alex,
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

Eatitup_86 wrote:
svensonson wrote:Just wondering when I will get mine replaced. Did anyone sent his already
back for replacement?
Unfortunately they are prioritizing new orders over replacing our initial boards. I am not sure why they don't just send us the new boards before we send the others back. Not really sure what they could do with the old ones besides toss em in the trash. Maybe they have some process to salvage a few parts from them.

*Question*
Hi there NeoSD / Alex,

Should we mail our boards back directly now or is the plan to have US customers send the boards to a state-side source still in play?

**Response**
Hello,

We are working against clock to have the new website ready, once we have it done we will use the actual website server for the forum.

Please, be patient, we are doing our best but the day dosen´t has more hours.

BTW i got news from factory : we will have SSDS3 friday or monday (i think it will be friday).

As soon as we are back in stock we will start shipping pending orders but we are going to reserve pcbs for the exchange.

Just give us some space please, we are the more interested ones on solve that and move forward.

Alex,
this sounds more like an automated response and not like a response to your actual question.
who cares about any new forum server? :lol:
donluca

Post by donluca »

Eatitup_86 wrote:
back for replacement?
Unfortunately they are prioritizing new orders over replacing our initial boards. I am not sure why they don't just send us the new boards before we send the others back.
https://goo.gl/iCw8Ye

TL;DR: they're prioritizing customers who don't have a board at all because they can't play. Those who have the defective boards can play although they have some annoyances.

Honestly I think this is ok, it makes sense.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

donluca wrote:
Eatitup_86 wrote:
back for replacement?
Unfortunately they are prioritizing new orders over replacing our initial boards. I am not sure why they don't just send us the new boards before we send the others back.
https://goo.gl/iCw8Ye

TL;DR: they're prioritizing customers who don't have a board at all because they can't play. Those who have the defective boards can play although they have some annoyances.

Honestly I think this is ok, it makes sense.
Another thing that could be a factor is they are eating the cost of the replacement boards so maybe they need to make some money first to be able to afford that loss. The replacement boards are still coming and they are still free so I don't see a problem with giving them time to balance their books before the replacements show up.
gojira54

Post by gojira54 »

hairy muff, waiting for free replacement is OK with me
D

Post by D »

Browsed a few pages back. From what I could find is that any original MD2 cables should work.
So I guess I want a csync MD2 cable
So what should I get? These?
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/seg ... packapunch
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/seg ... le-tv-lead
Both sold out
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

D wrote:Browsed a few pages back. From what I could find is that any original MD2 cables should work.
So I guess I want a csync MD2 cable
So what should I get? These?
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/seg ... packapunch
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/seg ... le-tv-lead
Both sold out
Those look correct to me. RGC restocks fairly often. So it shouldn't be a terribly long wait.
rtw

Post by rtw »

I want to use my Super SD System 3 with the FrameMeister.

Can anyone tell me which cable I should buy ?

[I have the SCART adapter to the FM already so it doesn't have to end in a Mini-Din]
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

rtw wrote:I want to use my Super SD System 3 with the FrameMeister.

[I have the SCART adapter to the FM already so it doesn't have to end in a Mini-Din]
Personally I would use the component cables from hd retrovision. $54, an imperceptible level of lag, easily compatible with switches like the extron crosspoint, and you don't have to worry about things not having a scart connector or the scart pins getting bent when you plug it in/out. They are getting restocked on the 17th: (To be fair the extron crosspoint accepts csync scart so either component or scart will work with it but component video always works with everything that accepts it so it just makes my life a lot simpler)
https://shop.hdretrovision.com/collecti ... 2630695427

If you really want to use scart your options are:
UK seller, 37 euro for a 3m shielded cable:
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pac ... 3fb4c077bb
US seller, $21 for a regular cable but probably around $45 if you want a 10ft coaxial shielded one (restocks every day or two)
https://retro-access.com/collections/fr ... audio-lead
rtw

Post by rtw »

Wolf_ wrote:
rtw wrote:I want to use my Super SD System 3 with the FrameMeister.

If you really want to use scart your options are:
UK seller, 37 euro for a 3m shielded cable:
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pac ... 3fb4c077bb
US seller, $21 for a regular cable but probably around $45 if you want a 10ft coaxial shielded one (restocks every day or two)
https://retro-access.com/collections/fr ... audio-lead
Thank you for the heads up Wolf_ :D

Since the Super SD 3 features a redesigned output stage I am wondering if the extra resistors and caps are superfluous ?
Kez

Post by Kez »

It has been purposefully designed so that it is directly compatible with existing Mega Drive 2 cables, so all resistors and caps are required.
rtw

Post by rtw »

Kez wrote:It has been purposefully designed so that it is directly compatible with existing Mega Drive 2 cables, so all resistors and caps are required.
Thank you for the that piece of information Kez :D
Brachabre

Post by Brachabre »

I was going to order one of these soon.

If you were to buy one now from NeoSD's store, would it be the revised PCB fixing whatever RGB issue the launch version had?

Anyone using one on a US TurboGrafx16? If so, does the shell fit? Thanks!
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Brachabre wrote:I was going to order one of these soon.

If you were to buy one now from NeoSD's store, would it be the revised PCB fixing whatever RGB issue the launch version had?

Anyone using one on a US TurboGrafx16? If so, does the shell fit? Thanks!
Terraonion are only selling the revised PCB and eventually recalling the originals.

I think they confirmed that it fits a TG-16. Very few people in the world have a unit at this point.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

Looking at the update over at neogeo the replacements are now back of the queue because they can already play and enjoy the unit but with marginal rgb interference.
I understand the thought behind this but it is disappointing as I can’t play at all with a fast rolling picture due to no sync
Kez

Post by Kez »

Well neosd did state the following in their post:
I know there is atleast one customer with an issue not related to RGB, this customer can contact us and get a replacement unit shipping his original unit back if he dosen´t wants to wait for USA shipping point.
Not sure if your problem would qualify for that as it is related to video output, but it may be worth getting in touch.
JBC

Post by JBC »

Mine came in yesterday & it works great. I've got some video issues but I don't think they're due to the SSDS3. The PC Engine I bought off of eBay looks like it's in good shape but when I'm viewing a black screen you can see bars of violet snow travelling from the bottom to the top of the screen. This becomes invisible during the actual game, which looks great through the HD Retrovision cable I'm using with a CRT. However, I noticed in some games like Bonk's Adventure a sprite will cause a darkened line to stretch across the screen horizontally & follow it's movement vertically as it travels.

Is this a common issue with the white PC Engines & does anyone know of a fix?

Also, the PC Engine feels pretty hot on the bottom.
Godzilla was an inside job
Kez

Post by Kez »

I'm not sure if it will address your problem directly, but there is a well-known 'jailbar' fix for PC-Engines that involves changing a couple of surface mount capacitors:

http://etim.net.au/av-driver/pcebars/

If you're comfortable doing that mod (it's pretty easy), I would start there. Also try using alternate PSUs if you have some available.
broken

Post by broken »

In case you guys missed it a couple pages back, I posted up a pretty exhaustive review of the Rev 2 Super SD System 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLs9Y-o6vNo&t=

It answers the majority of the questions that people will have.
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

broken wrote:In case you guys missed it a couple pages back, I posted up a pretty exhaustive review of the Rev 2 Super SD System 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLs9Y-o6vNo&t=

It answers the majority of the questions that people will have.
Nice review. :)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I'm viewing a black screen you can see bars of violet snow travelling from the bottom to the top of the screen.
maybe you can try another PSU ? SFC and MD PSUs work just fine if you got any of those.
JBC

Post by JBC »

Fudoh wrote:
I'm viewing a black screen you can see bars of violet snow travelling from the bottom to the top of the screen.
maybe you can try another PSU ? SFC and MD PSUs work just fine if you got any of those.
Wow, thank you. That did the trick. My SNS-101 (SNES Jr) & Model 2 Genesis power supplies didn't fit the PC Engine, but my NES-101 top loader's did. The violet snow & weird shadows are gone using it.

I swapped them back & forth just to make sure & it's true. I played Nexzr & Lords Of Thunder for a bit & then felt the bottom of the console - just slightly warm like any other device. Hope I didn't damage anything using the trash PSU.
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

8BA wrote: Wow, thank you. That did the trick. My SNS-101 (SNES Jr) & Model 2 Genesis power supplies didn't fit the PC Engine, but my NES-101 top loader's did. The violet snow & weird shadows are gone using it.

I swapped them back & forth just to make sure & it's true. I played Nexzr & Lords Of Thunder for a bit & then felt the bottom of the console - just slightly warm like any other device. Hope I didn't damage anything using the trash PSU.
I'm assuming the PSU you're referring to for you NES-101 is not the original, because original NES PSUs are _AC_ not DC, which would put the PC-Engine voltage regulator in a world of hurt (aka, probably kill it). DC PSUs will work with NES as well, but AC PSUs are bad for consoles explicitly expecting DC.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

NES-101 can be DC or AC.
My NTSC-J 101 is centre negative DC
JBC

Post by JBC »

The Retrobit AC adapter I'm using outputs DC 9v/350ma. It isn't marked with any other specifics but seems to work perfectly for both my NES-101 & the vanilla PC Engine. Anything risky about that?

I remembered I had a Genesis 1 in storage so I took a look at the official Sega adapter & it doesn't fit the PCE either.

The shitty adapter I was using was sold as good for the original PCE at 9v DC 1a center negative. I thought it looked pretty fishy considering it's like a gas station cell phone charger.

Edit - Not sure if it's important to mention, but everything in my gaming cabinet is plugged into a combo power conditioner/surge protector.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Using a 350ma PSU to power a 1a 7805 probably isn't the most reliable idea.
JBC

Post by JBC »

Syntax wrote:Using a 350ma PSU to power a 1a 7805 probably isn't the most reliable idea.
Can you specify? I'm still learning. What kind of time frame are we looking at for potential damage & why? Physically what happens to the internals of the console?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

350mA is really low, especially with the SSDS3 attached. Try to get something with more power. You currently don't risk the system, but you may fry the PSU and you might run into some misbehaviour on the system if it doesn't get enough power.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

I have changed the monitor for this from a bvm d24 which wouldn’t sync to a bvm 2011p which syncs fine but the colours are all patchy and messed up. I’m really confused why this would be. Nothing else behaves like this

Any thoughts?
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

I got my Super SD System 3 in today and posted this over on the Neo Geo forums since the devs are more active there, but thought I'd share here as well since this forum is generally more inclined to discuss technical details. Here's my copy/paste:

Ok, the package did end up being my Super SD System 3 and I've been toying with it this evening.
I'm going to give a 'quick' review with my findings starting with the summary.

Summary: From my small testing and playtime tonight I'd say most people will probably be happy with the Super SD System 3 (SSDS3). However, if you are an audiophile or videophile you might run into some annoyances.

Test setup:
1.) PC-Engine Duo-R with mickcris RGB amp (for comparison)
2.) Core Grafx (recapped, region modded)
3.) US Turbo Grafx 16 (stock, no repairs or mods)
4.) Genesis model 1 power supply
5.) Random modern switching (3 amp) power supply that runs all my other retro consoles without issue
6.) Packapunch Genesis 2 csync SCART cable
7.) Genesis 2 to RGB break-out box (RCA connectors). Uses csync, gives me flawless video on my Genesis 2 (that's been modded some to get rid of jailbars).
8.) Open Source Scan Converter (OSSC)
9.) Random $100 Vizio sound bar for sound

Sound: I'll start with sound since it'll be a shorter section. The CD audio isn't as good as it is playing from the disc on my Duo-R. Now I'm not an audiophile, so it's not like I have some super expensive sound setup and can tell if something is 1% off. From my very limited testing time the only thing I've noticed so far is the intro for the US version of Ys: Book 1 & 2 when you first boot it up. There's a lot of bass at the beginning, and then when the narrator starts talking he has kind of a deep voice that hits the bass too. On my Duo-R everything sounds clear and normal. On the SSDS3 in that scene it sounds like the bass is overdriven. This kinda distorts and muddies it, sorta like you're trying to go higher than your speakers can handle (except I didn't really have the volume cranked up). I don't really consider it subtle difference. I also ripped my original disc myself with TurboRip and also played back the .wav file on my PC to make sure it wasn't being distorted in the ripping process.

Video: Ok, I did 99% of this testing on with my OSSC on a 55" 4K TV. If you feed a good clean RGB signal to it from pretty much any retro console it looks phenomenal. Now I'm seeing some moving diagonal line interference similar to pictures and videos I saw of the initial release of the SSDS3, but not nearly as prominent.

Now by default the OSSC has a low pass filter (LPF) on for incoming video signals. I generally never turn it off except when I'm messing around or want to see how clean a RGB signal is. When I turn it off on my consoles with 'perfect' RGB it'll let a little bit of interference show up, but it's minor.

Now I tried to take some pictures with my phone that didn't exactly come out the best, but here they are: https://imgur.com/a/j6Ul1
Since it's not always clear I'll kinda walk through the tests too.

1.) Tested with a hucard on my Duo-R. The darker green in the Dungeon Explorer title logo seems to be the most prominent place for potential interference. Things look crystal clear on the Duo with the OSSC's LPF on (the default setting). With the LPF off I see typical minor noise in the signal

2.) Tested with a hucard with SSDS3. It's not as clean as my Duo-R but not too bad. Turning off the LPF shows more noise than the Duo-R, but nothing stupid crazy.

3.) Tested the same game with the SSDS3 but loaded from the microSD card. Now I was seeing the moving diagonal lines in the green. Again, not as bad as the initial release of the SSDS3, but enough to be an annoyance if you're a videophile.
Now, turning off the LPF makes it look god awful. there's a bunch of static snow looking noise that I've never seen before on any other system with the LPF off.

Conclusion: I got the same results no matter what power cable I used or what video cable I used. It also didn't really change between me using a Core Grafx or a US TurboGrafx 16.

I'm not saying these are the definitive results and I'd be happy to give further info or help troubleshoot. However, given the various different scenarios I've tried it, I don't really think it's some fluke of me just having a potentially bad cable. I probably won't have time to REALLY dig into it hard until the weekend.

I'm reserving any judgement until other technical people get to really dig into this, as well as TerraOnion potentially getting to look into it as well (maybe the CD sound/bass issue could be fixed in a firmware patch?).