Super SD System 3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
svensonson

Re: Super SD System 3

Post by svensonson »

Eatitup_86 wrote:
svensonson wrote:composite video or compsite sync?
Looks like Composite Video:
"These cables use C-Video for SYNC" - Console5's cable description
I think most of us want C-Sync working properly ( I guess)
Eatitup_86

Post by Eatitup_86 »

svensonson wrote:
Eatitup_86 wrote:
I think most of us want C-Sync working properly ( I guess)
Yep, that would be preferable but an $8 temporary fix is pretty darn nice in the interim for those using a Framemeister.
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

I wish Voultar or so get their hands on this for some testing or analyzing.
zoopster

Post by zoopster »

I wanted to share my experience and temporary solution.

So I already had an RGB modified Core Grafx with great video quality over SCART. I purchased an high quality (not cheap) packapunch RGB MD 2 cable from retrocables in the UK - as their cables are excellent quality.

The output from the SDS3 was not great - lot's of noise as others have stated and there was some audio interference when the SD card was being accessed. My solution - not very elegant but works well - was to return to the RGB cable connected directly to the Core Grafx and then plug the packapunch into a scart switch for audio out and then plug that into my speakers. End result is rock solid video and good quality sound (still with the SD card noise).

I'll be keeping the SDS3 but will be watching the forum with interest to see what options become available to address the underlying video out and sound issues.

John
neozeed

Post by neozeed »

Just ordered an rgb board from voultar. Will put that in my core grafix 2 and just get audio from the ssd3. Seems like the best solution right now. I'll be curious to see if the audio still has a buzz. I plan to just make a quick mini din to female rca adapter so there will be no video signal leakage in the audio cable.
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

neozeed wrote:Just ordered an rgb board from voultar. Will put that in my core grafix 2 and just get audio from the ssd3. Seems like the best solution right now. I'll be curious to see if the audio still has a buzz. I plan to just make a quick mini din to female rca adapter so there will be no video signal leakage in the audio cable.
IMHO, this is not an option and miles away from a solution. The SSD3 already comes with a "rgb board", so why would I want to add another amp into it? The existing one needs to get fixed! thats the only existing option

has this "option" been brought up over at ng.com?
they should have closed the thread over there right after the announcement

sorry, but I also blame the users over there for complaining that they cant use their existing MD2 RGB cable that they bought for their MD2. they didnt understand that the SSD3 RGB is just using the same DIN plug as the MD2 and thats it.
thats why the neo team started to build the SSD3 around the off-spec MD2 cable. this was also a reason why things got messed up..

sorry again
Last edited by svensonson on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
broken

Post by broken »

Before you guys go and buy a bunch of other stuff, give NeoSD a couple days to sort this out.
svensonson wrote:
sorry, but I also blame the users over there for complaining that they cant use their existing MD2 RGB cable that they bought for their MD2. they didnt understand that the SSD3 RGB is just using the same DIN plug as the MD2 and thats it.
thats why the neo team started to build the SSD3 around the MD2 cable. this was also a reason why things got messed up..

sorry again

I’m also sorry, but this has nothing to do with anything. They made the right decision to settle on the MD2 cable standard.

Let’s wait a couple days to find out what their diagnosis of the noise issue is.
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

If you're going to use a MD2 port, then you need to follow the MD2 standard. It really is that simple. It would be like putting a USB port on something and then saying you wired it to a different standard. It just leads to confusion and problems.
neozeed

Post by neozeed »

Upgrading the core grafix to rgb output is a simple upgrade that I've done before, the cost of the upgrade will easily be returned if I was to sell it. As far as the port being a MD2 standard, it's not. A din jack, or mini din in this case, is used in many applications. I run a nonstandard cable on all my nec consoles. I replace the 5v with csync. I have no use for the 5v and I prefer to leave the composite video in case I want to use the console with its factory cable on a tv with composite input.
ShootTheCore

Post by ShootTheCore »

This is a repost of what I said on the Neo-Geo.com forums:

My Super SD arrived today, so here's a rundown on how it's behaving on my SuperGrafx. I recently recapped and jailbar-fixed my SuperGrafx, so it can be considered "fresh" in that department.

1) The Super SD shell fits the SuperGrafx shell perfectly - no issues.

2) I'm using a high-quality shielded Genesis RGB SCART cable produced by "gamekingno1" on Ebay, fed into a gscartsw, fed into an OSSC running 5X upscaling into an LG OLED 4K TV. The cable always delivered clean, outstanding quality on my JVC X'Eye, and it works quite well with the Super SD as well. If I put my nose right up against the TV glass, I can make out a tiny bit of RF distortion on solid colors, but at a normal playing distance, it looks great. No sign of strobing, flashing or any audio issues. It has a ferrite core clamped over the cable adjacent to the console plug if that's of interest to anyone.

3) I'd heard reports of game issues with the SuperGrafx hardware, and with the in-game reset option enabled. As such, I disabled the in-game reset option first thing. For the most part, HuCards and CD games both played fine, but so far I have encountered these issues:
a) Ghouls N Ghosts froze shortly after starting the second level. I power-cycled the hardware and didn't encounter the freeze on a second playthrough.
b) Rayxanabar III reset back to the Super CD ROM BIOS screen while fighting the second boss.

I'll update the thread if I encounter more compatibility issues to report.

Photos taken with my cell phone can be viewed here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hrcqsyvnrhgs ... zRwGa?dl=0
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

I don't have one of these units, but I and a few others have confirmed the Supergrafx game Aldynes to be especially sensitive. It periodically freezes when played on a Turbo Everdrive 1.x while the real hucard works fine.

I'd be very curious to know how that game does with the Super SD System 3.
Mobiusstriptech

Post by Mobiusstriptech »

This is also a repost of what I posted on NG. I have been posting as much information as I can including providing details on all the testing. This isn't a simple cable issue. It's a legitimate design flaw that needs to be addressed.

So I finally got my unit from the day one batch today. I have to say I am disappointed. The video signal is very very bad with lots of noise and in some cases missing colors. The audio is not amplified in any way and I have to max out my speakers to be able to hear it even a little, then it has audible video and processor noise bleeding into it. The casing is nice, but it was not assembled correctly. I ended up removing the screws and reassembling it. The way it was I could not slide it onto my original pc engine. With the casing correctly assembled it does slide on but it doesn't fit straight on the unit and I do notice that it drags on the plastic as it slides on.

As for operation of the device itself, I have run into quite a few issues with the cd playback. I will make the assumption this is my rips, but they do work just fine when played from the CD. The issues I have encountered are the playback freezing completely, the wrong sound effects or music being played, the wrong cutscenes being played or skipping all together. The menu is not very intuitive and I find myself selecting the options constantly. I think it would have made more sense to have 2 be go back, 1 be select, and options be tied to start. That is just my opinion on the buttons.

For the setups I have tried, 2 different Retro-Access csync coaxially shielded genesis2 cables, a cheap genesis2 cable, generic genesis2 composite video cables, direct into my Framemeister, through a GScartsw_lite into the Framemeister, and direct into my PVM-1954Q. I have also tried this with my TurboGrafx 16. Both consoles are fully recapped with no additional RGB amps inside. Both are in perfect working order without the device. Both have had the jailbar fix applied internally.

I would love to be of any assistance in determining how to fix this. NeoSD and NeoDev, please feel free to request information from me.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

Mobiusstriptech

Post by Mobiusstriptech »

Eatitup_86 wrote:

Console5 cables are wired for composite video as sync. I have one and have verified the pin it's connected to.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

svensonson

Post by svensonson »

received mine as well today 8)

I took the regular MD2 220uF/75 Ohm cable that I am using with the Multi Mega since 2 years. Standard cheap MD2 RGB Cable from ebay. This combo is running fine on all my monitors.

I did the test with Bonk game and 240p Testsuite so far.

D32E1WE and 20F1E straight into BNC breakout cable= you can clearly see distortion/noise on both monitors. sometimes even a shaky screen like you would get when you have sync issues
NEC XM29 via Gscartsw or sync strike= noise and also vertical waves on the entire screen
Barco OCM-3346 via gscartsw or bnc breakout= minimal noise if any. picture looks quite okay on it. keep in mind that this monitor with its 600TVL and 0.8mm dot pitch is not as detailed and accurate like the others.

Afterwards I performed the same tests with the multi mega (no bypass or rgb amp installed) again and couldnt see any of above problems. of course there was some really minimal noise (nothing compared with the system3 output).

I also owned the PC Engine and Duo before. both equipped with THS7314 and 8-pin DIN output. never experienced such problems with them. crystal clear image, especially on all BVMs I have.

PS: Raiden (jap) keeps crashing all the time. can someone verify this? might just be the 128GB SD card that I am using.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Neodev wrote:BTW, anyone wanting to be on the same list, just let me know.

I am open to refund anyone not feeling confident about getting a solution.

Thanks
Neodev, I've really liked your work on the NeoSD, but until the kinks are worked out on this I think I need to take you up on your offer to refund my money. I've PM'd you my order details. Thank you for making efforts to fix this and I look forward to picking one up once everything is worked out.
gojira54

Post by gojira54 »

>PS: Raiden (jap) keeps crashing all the time. can someone verify this? might just be the 128GB SD card that I am using.

I suck at Super Raiden, but it works fine on my SSDS3 no crash.
No continues left at stage 3 :/
broken

Post by broken »

Yep, Super Raiden working ok here too.

Is the crashing on a Supergrafx?
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

broken wrote:Yep, Super Raiden working ok here too.

Is the crashing on a Supergrafx?
PC Engine.
Tried both the us and jap rom on two different micro sd using fat32format.exe (16GB and 128GB)
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I think voultars post was lost here but it seems the digital ground and analogue grounds are tied together which is causing the audio and visual noise.

Who's keen to slice up some traces and check?

I dont understand why they are still sending off faulty units, its dodgy as..
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Syntax wrote:I think voultars post was lost here but it seems the digital ground and analogue grounds are tied together which is causing the audio and visual noise.

I'm already on board with opening it right up to make it work with my incoming MD2 csync cable from RGC. So when I get my unit I'm definitely willing try it assuming I can figure out the cut and which one needs to jump where. Other than that it just sounds like I need to fix csync. I have a spare voultar pce rgb mod. I'm hoping I can just wire up the csync from the expansion port to it and not have to fiddle with RGB lines. Although I'm assuming I'll need to bypass a cap and/or resistor on the rgb mod's csync output to get it in line with the md2 cable.

I wasn't able to order the first day because Team USA was fraud blocked. So it may be a while yet.
mickcris

Post by mickcris »

Syntax wrote:I think voultars post was lost here but it seems the digital ground and analogue grounds are tied together which is causing the audio and visual noise.

those grounds are connected together on the console side so I dont think that is possible.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

Johnpv wrote:If you're going to use a MD2 port, then you need to follow the MD2 standard. It really is that simple. It would be like putting a USB port on something and then saying you wired it to a different standard. It just leads to confusion and problems.
Why? JVS is also USB-type, but nothing like the USB-standard.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

mickcris wrote:

those grounds are connected together on the console side so I dont think that is possible.
Oh snap. This i did not know.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

mickcris wrote:

I don't suppose this is something that can be mitigated by adding capacitors between power and ground near chips, is it? I know that's a common method for cleaning up power lines, but in my non-EE brain it seems possible (20% confidence) that it could act as a temporary sink for spikes on the ground line as well as long as the power side had loaded it to the point of acting like a vacuum.

Equally possible, I could add some unicorn hoof based glue along the top of the ground traces. Surely that would do it. I don't mind importing it from Scotland.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Did the original super cdrom add-on's get around this by creating shorter paths to ground? I'm noticing that this thing doesn't seem to have a power plug whereas the super cdrom had you plug in power to it and then a little jumper cable to also connect to the console.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Are the ground connected on the ssds3?
You could power the digital part with an LDO to isolate the grounds.
neozeed

Post by neozeed »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
mickcris wrote:

I don't suppose this is something that can be mitigated by adding capacitors between power and ground near chips, is it? I know that's a common method for cleaning up power lines, but in my non-EE brain it seems possible (20% confidence) that it could act as a temporary sink for spikes on the ground line as well as long as the power side had loaded it to the point of acting like a vacuum.

Equally possible, I could add some unicorn hoof based glue along the top of the ground traces. Surely that would do it. I don't mind importing it from Scotland.
Finally we are getting somewhere with this 8)
The silence from the devs is getting louder every day. I'm sure they are working on a solution. I just hope a full hardware revision isn't needed. I want mine asap, but I also want it to work :(
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

neozeed wrote:The silence from the devs is getting louder every day. I'm sure they are working on a solution.
I think it's for the best that they're silent at the moment. Anything short of an action plan was agitating people. And they seem to be overworked, so that's not really a great situation.
hyrulebr

Post by hyrulebr »

neozeed wrote: The silence from the devs is getting louder every day. I'm sure they are working on a solution. I just hope a full hardware revision isn't needed. I want mine asap, but I also want it to work :(
Neodev wrote: Once we have taken a decision, before go fruther with it, we will tell you all about that, so you guys can review it.
Please be patient. let them fix it.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

waiwainl wrote:
Johnpv wrote:If you're going to use a MD2 port, then you need to follow the MD2 standard. It really is that simple. It would be like putting a USB port on something and then saying you wired it to a different standard. It just leads to confusion and problems.
Why? JVS is also USB-type, but nothing like the USB-standard.

All my googling of JVS connectors brings up nothing that looks like a USB port. If you say this is a USB port, and it looks just like a USB port, don't expect people to mod USB cables to us it. It'd be pretty asinine. Could you imagine if Canon released a printer with a port that looked exactly like a USB port, said they were using a USB port, and then didn't follow the USB standard at all. It wouldn't go over well for them. If you sell a product using an already established standard then follow that standard.