Super SD System 3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Wolf_

Re: Super SD System 3

Post by Wolf_ »

Syntax wrote:What, you've never put a tantalum cap backwards before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tySCg4-Q11U
Yea, but how much juice did they feed it in the video vs what this board is sending to it? I'm betting it is many times more.
Kez

Post by Kez »

I flipped it around in mind just in case, didn't take long at all.

Hasn't really affected the noise I have noticed previously, which isn't surprising as the cap is on the c-video line and I am using csync.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I didn't think the composite video out of a PCE even needed a cap, I've never seen any of the AV mods suggest adding one.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Solution: don’t play Bonk’s Adventure/Revenge, stop sitting with your nose to the tv/monitor, and enjoy the massive library of HuCard and CD games. You might eventually forget how anal retentive you are, and you might actually enjoy playing a game or two.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

opt2not wrote:Solution: don’t play Bonk’s Adventure/Revenge, stop sitting with your nose to the tv/monitor, and enjoy the massive library of HuCard and CD games. You might eventually forget how anal retentive you are, and you might actually enjoy playing a game or two.
While I support this in theory, people who are experiencing a lot of issues--such as an intense audio buzz tied to the SD access--aren't able to enjoy. I wish that it was something I could see past, but it rears its ugly head consistently.
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

opt2not wrote:Solution: don’t play Bonk’s Adventure/Revenge, stop sitting with your nose to the tv/monitor, and enjoy the massive library of HuCard and CD games. You might eventually forget how anal retentive you are, and you might actually enjoy playing a game or two.
This is not helpful and is just downright condescending at this point. "Hey, just don't play this game that that you might want to play. Great solution!". I think there's been enough data in this thread for it to be apparent this isn't just people staring at the screen from an inch away until their eyes cross so they can see hidden interference patterns. Some instances do require being closer to the screen than others. For instance in the Valis 2 intro I can clearly see the interference while sitting on my couch.

It's completely fine if your opinion is that everything looks fine to you on the SSDS3 RGB, whether that's just you being less picky or maybe you're just lucky and legitimately don't have any of the interference that other's are seeing. However, how does trolling people are are having and are annoyed by the issue going to help anyone? "Hey guys, he said we should ignore the issue and play the games. Man, if only I'd known that before trying to get to the bottom of this I could've just stopped and save all that time!"
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Oh relax man, and play some games. That’s what it’s all about right? I mean, people are nit-picking a little noise on a couple games. Making it seem that as a whole, this product is bad and should be avoided. Which is entirely not the case.
I swear, sometimes I wonder if people here are actual gamers or just videophiles.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

why not both? plus it's not like everyone's ocd on the smallest flaw, don't generalize.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Trying hard not to generalize. But when a thread like this is 98% about RGB quality, it’s really hard not to.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

it's only one thread with a handful of users...you know, the internet lens effect ;)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Kez

Post by Kez »

opt2not wrote:Making it seem that as a whole, this product is bad and should be avoided. Which is entirely not the case.
opt2not wrote:Trying hard not to generalize. But when a thread like this is 98% about RGB quality, it’s really hard not to.
Your points are pretty fair, but the fact of the matter is that this forum is basically the place on the internet where discussions like this go down. I think everyone here has tried not to misrepresent the product, the pattern I am seeing is people say everything about it is great except for a few minor issues. Obviously these issues are going to get discussed more, it's only natural. If the RGB was perfect and the ODE had more issues, people would be talking about that non-stop.

Yes, the ODE is great. Yes, I am happy with the product and would recommend it. I don't want to send it back and the video noise has not impacted my enjoyment of the games I have been playing.

But, equally, if I can improve the video quality somehow then I will. What's so strange about that?
RevQuixo

Post by RevQuixo »

The reality here is that the SSDS3 is a niche product sold to a handful of folks who still care about these systems. You don't drop the amount of money on it if you aren't also the sort of person dropping money on scalers, RGB cables, PVMs, internal RGB mods, jailbar fixes etc.

The Venn diagram for "RGB nerds" and "PC Engine gamers" probably has a ton of overlap. It is unfair to expect people to ignore the faults given the price point and the expectations set by other RGB solutions.
ErebusMaligan

Post by ErebusMaligan »

opt2not wrote:Making it seem that as a whole, this product is bad and should be avoided.
ErebusMaligan wrote:I think the ODE and flashcart part are solid products.
ErebusMaligan wrote:Either way, I still like the video out and think it's very good, just not perfect.
I see how you got that conclusion from comments like these.

Let's not exaggerate eh?

I think Kez' last response is a considerably more representative summary from people in the thread.

The product is pretty good, most people would still recommend it, but it does have some minor issues and talking about them might spur someone knowledgeable to provide potential fixes. Believe it or not you can like something and still see the flaws in it. :shock:

EDIT: Like sword of vermillion for the genesis. I love that game. It's terribly flawed though... and that may be why it's great.
Last edited by ErebusMaligan on Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

The additional reality here is that RGB on this was an "extra", something TO admitted to tack-on as an added bonus. Like I mentioned before, the main features of this device (ODE, Region-free, and the menu system is pretty awesome IMO) is what makes it shine. RGB noise on a few games isn't all that bad. Especially when people have been using noisy 1-chip SNES's for years till recently a few brainiac EE guys came in and said it's all bad. All bow-down to Lord Voultar eh?

And if you are the type that must have all the RGB upgrades, and are truly a PCE fan, you would have had your system modded for it already anyways, because this product wasn't even known that far in advance for people to hold-off on enabling RGB on their system.
So, if you have already have installed an RGB mod for your system and you wanna play Bonk, then perhaps using your existing RGB mod is the way to go.
I'm sorry if this is sounding condescending, but these discussions get absolutely bananas with the OCD tenancies. I must not be the only one who thinks it's passed the point of silly and getting into downright crazy territory.

Just my 2 cents, if that offends you then I apologize for the hurt feelings. It just seems that one minor flaw on an otherwise amazing product shouldn't be the sole dominating discussion.
noonan2678

Post by noonan2678 »

I'm going to liken this whole thing to being a foodie for a moment...

I go to restaurants all the time...I cook all the time and I eat other people's food that they've prepared. If there's something new I'm trying, I'm always critiquing it; deciding how much I like it, what I'd change to make it better. That thought process/approach does not mean that I enjoy it any less. I can tell my girl that she should have done something different to the risotto, but that doesn't take away from my enjoyment or my appreciation for what she did. It's because I'm into cooking and interested in doing things better each time. I do the same at restaurants. I'll taste each element first, then have a composite (see what I did there) bite of everything. My girl and I might decide they could have done something better, but we almost always enjoy everything, whether it's Taco Bell or a $400 dinner at a special place.

Not sure if you're following, but this is a parallel for me. I thoroughly am enjoying this and many other devices that have been released. We're hobbyists and that's kind of like being a foodie in the food world. Some Chef's can't take the criticism on Yelp, etc. and some relish in it as they are their own biggest critics. Talking about something that can be fixed or improved upon (for me at least) has ZERO to do with my appreciation for the device...whatever it is. This is just part of the hobby I suppose. For some, the actual hobby is not even playing the games, rather it's the tinkering. I'm somewhere in the middle, as I enjoy both.

I imagine many of you can relate to this and I'm sure there are parallels in other hobbies/interests. No one should get pissed off when finding an opportunity to improve upon or fix something. Short of a device or product being a complete failure or materially misrepresented, we should all just continue to discuss but keep it all in perspective.

I'll stop grandstanding...just thought this might resonate. (x-posted to neo.geo forums)
RevQuixo

Post by RevQuixo »

opt2not wrote:The additional reality here is that RGB on this was an "extra", something TO admitted to tack-on as an added bonus. Like I mentioned before, the main features of this device (ODE, Region-free, and the menu system is pretty awesome IMO) is what makes it shine.
The problem with this argument is that we want to use our own connectors on the original units we still need to mix the audio from that back connector and I've never seen a cable that simply brings the audio over from a MD2 connector without also having a video connector on the same cable. If we are using old genesis cables..it has composite video and now you are bridging that backwards cap and potentially causing issues. If you use HD Retrovision cables..same story. So you are forced to use CSYNC on their connector which isn't the end of the world unless you want to use your system on an old CRT. (Yes there are rgb to component converters and such). So for an extra, it is now mandatory.

Now I'm sure all of us will get that cap flipped and none of this is the end of the world...it's just an annoyance.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

opt2not wrote:The additional reality here is that RGB on this was an "extra", something TO admitted to tack-on as an added bonus. Like I mentioned before, the main features of this device (ODE, Region-free, and the menu system is pretty awesome IMO) is what makes it shine. RGB noise on a few games isn't all that bad. Especially when people have been using noisy 1-chip SNES's for years till recently a few brainiac EE guys came in and said it's all bad. All bow-down to Lord Voultar eh?

And if you are the type that must have all the RGB upgrades, and are truly a PCE fan, you would have had your system modded for it already anyways, because this product wasn't even known that far in advance for people to hold-off on enabling RGB on their system.
So, if you have already have installed an RGB mod for your system and you wanna play Bonk, then perhaps using your existing RGB mod is the way to go.
I'm sorry if this is sounding condescending, but these discussions get absolutely bananas with the OCD tenancies. I must not be the only one who thinks it's passed the point of silly and getting into downright crazy territory.

Just my 2 cents, if that offends you then I apologize for the hurt feelings. It just seems that one minor flaw on an otherwise amazing product shouldn't be the sole dominating discussion.
If we can find a way to get the CD audio out of the box (ideally without SD card interference), then we get the best of both worlds: non-RGB nerds can get an acceptable RGB-quality output, while folks who've invested in an RGB mod can keep their current visual fidelity. But without the ODE spitting out audio, right now that isn't easily achievable.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

RevQuixo wrote:The problem with this argument is that we want to use our own connectors on the original units we still need to mix the audio from that back connector and I've never seen a cable that simply brings the audio over from a MD2 connector without also having a video connector on the same cable.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this only pertaining to CD games? Bonk's Adventure/Revenge is a HuCard game, and therefore can be played as normal without bridging anything, right?
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

opt2not wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this only pertaining to CD games? Bonk's Adventure/Revenge is a HuCard game, and therefore can be played as normal without bridging anything, right?
Yeah, but at that point, why not just use an Everdrive for 1/5th the price? The ODE is the selling point here.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

opt2not wrote:Like I mentioned before, the main features of this device (ODE, Region-free, and the menu system is pretty awesome IMO) is what makes it shine. RGB noise on a few games isn't all that bad. Especially when people have been using noisy 1-chip SNES's for years till recently a few brainiac EE guys came in and said it's all bad. All bow-down to Lord Voultar eh?
You know, it's interesting. I dedicate time & resources to the Neo-SD team to help them with their analog probz because I like their product and want to see them do well. Nonetheless, you always have that one guy who has to put in an erroneous, mildly retarded dig at someone that they don't even know or haven't ever spoken to.

Jesus Christ. Let's stop this cunty bullshit and help each other. Let's get beyond these social disorders. Nobody bows to anyone. Everyone here is equal.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

Voultar wrote:
opt2not wrote:Like I mentioned before, the main features of this device (ODE, Region-free, and the menu system is pretty awesome IMO) is what makes it shine. RGB noise on a few games isn't all that bad. Especially when people have been using noisy 1-chip SNES's for years till recently a few brainiac EE guys came in and said it's all bad. All bow-down to Lord Voultar eh?
You know, it's interesting. I dedicate time & resources to the Neo-SD team to help them with their analog probz because I like their product and want to see them do well. Nonetheless, you always have that one guy who has to put in an erroneous, mildly retarded dig at someone that they don't even know or haven't ever spoken to.

Jesus Christ. Let's stop this cunty bullshit and help each other. Let's get beyond these social disorders. Nobody bows to anyone. Everyone here is equal.
Honestly without you there to help them fix that initial board revision the ssd3 would probably be dead or dying. I certainly wouldn't be considering picking one up once they iron out the audio buzz and interference.

But as the only person that actually helped Terraonion I don't understand why anyone would take a shot at you in an effort to defend terraonion lol.
Gara

Post by Gara »

opt2not wrote:The additional reality here is that RGB on this was an "extra", something TO admitted to tack-on as an added bonus. Like I mentioned before, the main features of this device (ODE, Region-free, and the menu system is pretty awesome IMO) is what makes it shine. RGB noise on a few games isn't all that bad. Especially when people have been using noisy 1-chip SNES's for years till recently a few brainiac EE guys came in and said it's all bad. All bow-down to Lord Voultar eh?

The RGB output was only called an extra when people started having problems. They were just fine selling it as a primary feature up until now. The Super SD System 3. It outputting RGB is part of the name.

I thought RF was pretty great when I was a kid. Things change and expectations evolve. No one is out there saying everyone should cancel their order. Why not welcome constructive criticism? I'm 80s born so maybe I'm just made of sterner stuff but I don't think there is anything wrong with people pointing out flaws and having high expectations on a $300+ product.

Those "real" fans all have RGB modded Turboduos. I really doubt the majority of people interested have been rocking an RGB modded Coregrafx up until now. It giving RGB output to these old low value systems was one of the major selling points.

What a mess... NeoSD seems to be having a melt down over it. As much as he drives me crazy I am starting to feel sorry for him. That's a guy built for the back room not the customer service desk. I hope he is able to get some help.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

It's not really a shot at Voultar, it's a shot at the current state of the community. Listen, I appreciate Voultar's work in helping solve these issues. I don't appreciate being called a cunt, or retarded -- Voultar, you want to talk about social disorders, how's that for a reaction to my pretty mild comment. I didn't call you any names, at least none that malignant (you are a brainiac, and an Electrical Engineer correct?) yet you go off the rails with the profanity towards me?
That reaction was well out of proportion as a response to my comment, and borderline autistic TBH.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Gara wrote:What a mess... NeoSD seems to be having a melt down over it. As much as he drives me crazy I am starting to feel sorry for him. That's a guy built for the back room not the customer service desk. I hope he is able to get some help.
What's not helping him is posting schematics and red outlines to what the problems are in the design. ESPECIALLY in a public forum. If Voultar really wanted to help, he would have emailed that discussion to him in private. But it seems he gets a kick out of showing how smart he is, and how stupid everyone else is.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

It's all inline with his Tony Stark act lol.

@ Voutar
Finish your food before you talk you rude bastard :p
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

opt2not wrote:
Gara wrote:What a mess... NeoSD seems to be having a melt down over it. As much as he drives me crazy I am starting to feel sorry for him. That's a guy built for the back room not the customer service desk. I hope he is able to get some help.
What's not helping him is posting schematics and red outlines to what the problems are in the design. ESPECIALLY in a public forum. If Voultar really wanted to help, he would have emailed that discussion to him in private. But it seems he gets a kick out of showing how smart he is, and how stupid everyone else is.
Now you've gone from being silly to just nefarious.

I never said you were retarded, and I never said you were a cunt. You should probably read a little bit slower. What you said was a dig directed to me, and I found it to be asinine and completely useless to the ongoing efforts, here. Criticizing something that you said isn't casting a direct insult, onto you. In other words, it IS possible to say something completely fucking stupid, without being completely fucking stupid. So you "don't appreciate" all the wrong things here.

And Jesus christ with the inferiority complex of "I'm smarter than everyone". Everyone here wants to learn things, including me. I understand that you're probably not very technical, but throughout the hardware section of this forum, we exchange idea's and help each other openly, all the time around here. 1CHIP ghosting would've never been resolved, otherwise. You have a terrible tendency of putting words into peoples mouths. Several people in this thread have made technical suggestions, good ones, too. If you're serious with that line of bullshit that people are helping just to make other people feel stupid, that's your own prerogative, don't slap that shit onto me or anyone else.
Syntax wrote:It's all inline with his Tony Stark act lol.

@ Voutar
Finish your food before you talk you rude bastard :p

Lole!
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

Voultar wrote:
opt2not wrote:

I never said you were retarded, and I never said you were a cunt. You should probably read a little bit slower. What you said was a dig directed to me, and I found it to be asinine and completely usless. Criticizing something that you said isn't casting a direct insult, to you.

And Jesus christ with the inferiority complex. Everyone here wants to learn things, including me. I understand that you're probably not very technical, but throughout the hardware section of this forum, we exchange idea's and help each other openly, all the time around here. 1CHIP ghosting would've never been resolved, otherwise. You have a terrible tendency of putting words into peoples mouths. Several people in this thread have made technical suggestions, good ones, too. If you're serious with that line of bullshit that people are helping just to make other people feel stupid, that's your own prerogative, don't slap that shit onto me or anyone else.
inb4 now you are persecuting him for reading too fast and not being technical. "How dare you put words in my mouth after I put words in your mouth!"

Also does he think the result would be better if you didn't show people what the problem was? Does he think people would be calmer not knowing what was wrong with their device? Does he think it would be better if no one knew they could fairly easily fix it?
Gara

Post by Gara »

opt2not wrote:
Voultar definitely has an edge but I didn't personally get the impression he was trying to show them up. The Neo Geo forum is a zoo and proud of it. Voultars attitude is practically a kitten whisper to that.

This stuff should be out in the open. What if Voultar ended up being wrong? By publicly posting it there was a chance for others to agree or disagee. The Terraonion team has already admitted to having very little testing resources.

It doesn't even seem like that big of a deal to be honest. I'm still more interested in the audio noise and video noise.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Voultar wrote:
opt2not wrote:

I never said you were retarded, and I never said you were a cunt. You should probably read a little bit slower. What you said was a dig directed to me, and I found it to be asinine and completely useless to the ongoing efforts, here. Criticizing something that you said isn't casting a direct insult, to you.

And Jesus christ with the inferiority complex of "I'm smarter than everyone". Everyone here wants to learn things, including me. I understand that you're probably not very technical, but throughout the hardware section of this forum, we exchange idea's and help each other openly, all the time around here. 1CHIP ghosting would've never been resolved, otherwise. You have a terrible tendency of putting words into peoples mouths. Several people in this thread have made technical suggestions, good ones, too. If you're serious with that line of bullshit that people are helping just to make other people feel stupid, that's your own prerogative, don't slap that shit onto me or anyone else.
I didn't say people, I said if you really wanted to help, you'd PM him in private to help resolve the issues rather than going on a know-it-all rampage on neo-geo showing schematics and giving EE explanations. Your actions are way more nefarious than mine, pal.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

opt2not wrote: I didn't say people, I said if you really wanted to help, you'd PM him in private to help resolve the issues rather than going on a know-it-all rampage on neo-geo showing schematics and giving EE explanations. Your actions are way more nefarious than mine, pal.

My actions are way more nefarious? Well, please show me where I went on a know-it-all rampage while I was explaining the importance of pointing your AC coupling capacitors in the right direction? I'm sorry, does knowledge frighten you? Is that why you take such offense?

Seriously, I want to know where the "I'm being mean" part is in the post you brought up.

Maybe it's the part where I said something along the lines of "This isn't a big deal?"
Last edited by Voultar on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.