Super SD System 3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rogue_element

Re: Super SD System 3

Post by Rogue_element »

BuckoA51 wrote:
Im in the UK - According to the tracking my SSD 3 reached Heathrow on 24 March. I finally received it today (17 April)
Who delivered the package in the UK, which courier?
Royal Mail - package had Correos marked all over it though
Everblue

Post by Everblue »

Let us know what you think of the SSDS3 :)
tzakiel

Post by tzakiel »

Is there any list of games incompatible with this attachment? My life in gaming noticed sherlock holmes (cd) and ninja spirit (hucard) were unplayable. Hasve those two been fixed? What other games don't work?
zoopster

Post by zoopster »

Everblue wrote:Well my PC Engine is already RGB modded. I guess I will use RGB from there - the tricky bit is getting the RGB signal merged with the audio from the SSDS3 to send it into the Framemeister.
I used a Bandridge SCART switch with my CoreGrafx RGB mod SCART cable into AV2 and the SSD3 SCART cable into AV1 for audio. Then SCART out to my CRT and the AV out from the AV1 audio out on the Bandridge. No graphical issues and good CD audio.

John
RevQuixo

Post by RevQuixo »

tzakiel wrote:Is there any list of games incompatible with this attachment? My life in gaming noticed sherlock holmes (cd) and ninja spirit (hucard) were unplayable. Hasve those two been fixed? What other games don't work?
Dragon Spirit is perfectly playable. Coury just left the in-game trigger option enabled. This causes issues in a lot of games and probably should be left off.

Sherlock Holmes on the other hand does have some sync issues. it is known and being worked on. There are a couple of other games with audio sync issues (the japanese Valis 1 remake for example) and some graphical corruption (Cutscenes in Popful Mail). All of it is being looked at. There is a bug thread over on the terra onion forum.
SlightlyObsessed

Post by SlightlyObsessed »

Thought Koa Zo and loukey would be pleased to know my package just arrived. Was shipped out on the 20th of March, left Spain on the 29th and arrived here (Phoenix AZ) today (4/19). Just over 4 weeks. I’m sure you guys will see your units soon too since I believe they traveled the same journey together.
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

Did Voultar already put the SSD3 V2 under his microscope?
Just wondering how it compares with V1 and if it also does need the fu-rgb kit installed to kill the noise.
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

svensonson wrote:Did Voultar already put the SSD3 V2 under his microscope?
Just wondering how it compares with V1 and if it also does need the fu-rgb kit installed to kill the noise.
I haven't seen anything about V2 on his twitter yet, which seems to usually be the first place he announces stuff.
SlightlyObsessed

Post by SlightlyObsessed »

svensonson wrote:Did Voultar already put the SSD3 V2 under his microscope?
If he has, he’s not shared his findings publicly yet. I watched his stream with Nick and he mentioned the diagonal lines in the Lord of Thunder intro, which he showed cleaned up with the fu-RGB. My short time with the V2 board those lines are visible, however if I didn’t know to look for them I’d probably not of picked them out right away.
loukey

Post by loukey »

SlightlyObsessed wrote:Thought Koa Zo and loukey would be pleased to know my package just arrived. Was shipped out on the 20th of March, left Spain on the 29th and arrived here (Phoenix AZ) today (4/19). Just over 4 weeks. I’m sure you guys will see your units soon too since I believe they traveled the same journey together.
Good news! Here's hoping. :)
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

cr4zymanz0r wrote: I think one issue might be is that nobody can seem to find a source for Genesis composite video cables that are truly stereo. Seems like most everybody is only finding ones that have Right connected correctly, but Left is connected to mono. This is incorrect to begin with since the Genesis 2 has has different pins for Left, Right, and mono audio. Also, people have reported mono isn't connected on the SSDS3, so people would just end up with right audio with all the improper genesis composite cables floating around.
I can confirm that the "Old Skool" brand of genesis 2 cables are wired correctly for stereo.
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom PCBs!
Twitter: @arithmaldor
tzakiel

Post by tzakiel »

I just got one of these and all I get is a white screen on power up. The PCE works normally without the ssds3 attached.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

check your expansion port pins and make sure none are bent.
tzakiel

Post by tzakiel »

Mvs, yeah, I did and also cleaned them but no dice.
kiun

Post by kiun »

Anyone have the SSDS3 working on the supergrafx ? Mine is behaving weird. With the SSDS3 attached, the controller input is all messed up. Any ideas ?
parodius

Post by parodius »

Are you using a multiplayer adapter?
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

kiun wrote:Anyone have the SSDS3 working on the supergrafx ? Mine is behaving weird. With the SSDS3 attached, the controller input is all messed up. Any ideas ?
I am using the sssd3v1 board on a supergrafx. no weird problems with the input on my side
strygo

Post by strygo »

Make sure the connection is solid. When I first inserted the SSDS3, I didn't realize that one of the SuperGrafx's pins was bent. Once I noticed that and fixed it, everything worked fine for me.
kiun

Post by kiun »

pins look fine to me. I guess I will have to hunt down a pce unit to confirm if the issues lies with the SSDS3 unit.

The weird thing is its messing up the controller input. Holding button 1 registers as direction right, for example.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

No issues with the SuperGrafx here either.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

kiun wrote:Anyone have the SSDS3 working on the supergrafx ? Mine is behaving weird. With the SSDS3 attached, the controller input is all messed up. Any ideas ?
I had some issues with a Micomsoft XE-H1 stick attached (which has a built-in multitap). The issue was a bent pin.

Can you be clearer by what you mean by “messed up?” Can you try Chris Covell’s joypad diagnostic tool?
FBX

Post by FBX »

It looks like it will be a while before my SSDS3 even ships. They are flooded with orders and backed up. Once I get it though, I plan on giving it a thorough examination like Voultar has been. If need be the case, I may even redesign the board layout and OSH-Park the little devil :-P
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Sounds awesome.
I gave up trying to fix the diagonal interference and everyone else that knows anything has gone quiet so Neo doesn't get upset..

Keen to see a fix.
kiun

Post by kiun »

SavagePencil wrote:
I had some issues with a Micomsoft XE-H1 stick attached (which has a built-in multitap). The issue was a bent pin.

Can you be clearer by what you mean by “messed up?” Can you try Chris Covell’s joypad diagnostic tool?
Most of the inputs are not registering. Some are registering a different command. For example, button 1 becomes right direction and select button as up direction. I can’t even access the diagnostic tool on the everdrive because I don’t have a way to input the right command to startup the tool.

I have a V2 SSDS3 by the way. Tried registering the terraonions forum but have yet to receive my confirmation email. Next step is to try the SSDS3 with a PCE unit (waiting for a cheaper unit on ebay).
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

What controller are you using? Does it work with normal carts?
kiun

Post by kiun »

SavagePencil wrote:What controller are you using? Does it work with normal carts?
no dice on normal cart as well. I’ve tested with both the supergrafx and pce duo r controllers. Without the SSDS3 attached, they work normally.
parodius

Post by parodius »

Under-powered PSU then maybe ?
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Does the pinout of the connector deal with joystick inputs at all? Could a pin be getting shorted when you're connecting?
rtdzign

Post by rtdzign »

Ordered on March 30 and my unit arrived yesterday May 15, 2018 in California. So it was a month and a half for me.

So far I have not heard sound to come out but it may be that my random $2 Chinese Ebay Genesis 2 Yellow/White composite monaural sound cable is mapped to the wrong pin. Video came out fine though. Ordered some Old Skool brand AV cables.
RevQuixo

Post by RevQuixo »

arithmaldor wrote:I am willing to make a few RGB cables that let you use the RGB from your modded console and take the audio input from the SSDS3. I can either modify your cable or make one. It will have female RCA jacks near the SCART head so you can use a standard MD/Genesis 2 composite video cable to plug the audio in from the SSDS3.

https://tinkerplunk.com/super-sd-system-3-cables/

Lead time is probably a few weeks for new cables as I don't have all the different connector types, but if you send me your cable it would only take the combined shipping time + a day or 2.
I got one of these cables and it is extremely nice. Fully shielded video with multi-core cabling, proper stereo wiring through the MD2 connection. Very neatly made. i have a picture up on twitter:

https://twitter.com/revquixo/status/997277969973436416

They are orderable here:
https://tinkerplunk.com/super-sd-system-3-cables/