Super SD System 3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
broken

Re: Super SD System 3

Post by broken »

CZroe wrote:Wow. I was extremely critical of Terra Onion through the entire process and I openly refused to buy one until they apologize to the people who were just trying to help (still waiting on an apology to RetroRGB/Bob).

I’ve seen this mentioned several times recently. Let me make this very clear: Bob and Alex spoke several weeks ago and sorted out their differences. It originally started as a misunderstanding that snowballed from there. I think we have all been there before.

Maybe Bob will pop in here and comment on it, but I believe this has been resolved.
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/
rayik

Post by rayik »

thebigcheese wrote:
With the variables in mind, that's where I'm keen to see what happens after a recap with newer, higher quality caps. I am still interested to see the results with the TG16, but TBH I don't have high hopes. In terms of visual noise, at least, I find it to be just as bad as the PCE. Honestly, the CoreGrafx I have now hasn't been that much better and it's got a completely different mod in it than the TG16. They are just noisy consoles. With the SuperGrafx being one of the last revisions, maybe they just figured it out by then, who knows.
I have a recapped TG16. with RGB mod. I'm just as interested in how it sounds in comparison to the other PCE / SGX versions. If I can ever get some time I'll make some TG16 recordings.
PaTaito

Post by PaTaito »

CZroe wrote:Wow. I was extremely critical of Terra Onion through the entire process and I openly refused to buy one until they apologize to the people who were just trying to help (still waiting on an apology to RetroRGB/Bob). They never should have said that they wouldn’t revise it, but I thought we all agreed that they still should. Now that they have, it’s almost like we’re hell-bent on making them regret it by demanding refunds or discounts. That’s counter-productive.

I see the same mentality for SD2SNES vs. SD2SNES Pro. Would these people rather let the main part get discontinued without Krikzz and Ikari updating it to use a new part? ...or would you rather they use the new part but deliberately not do anything to take advantage of the new capabilities? That’s shamefully unreasonable and ungrateful.

No one got angry at Krikzz and Ikari when they fixed SD2SNES MSU-1 audio and the capacitor/inductor to fix noise issues on 1chip consoles. Even though I had SD2SNES Rev. H I went out of my way to get a Rev. E1b and did the fixes for Rev. E>F and Rev. F>H modifications for my nephew. I was super appreciative that they not only shared details on how to fix it but also fixed it for future devices. They had a similar promise of not adding anything in future revisions that would discourage you from buying the current revision.

If anything, the SSDSys3 issues were more like the Rev E, F, G (ugh!), and H of SD2SNES ...and yet the community response is starkly different. Even the people with the nerve to complain about SD2SNES Pro didn’t seem this entitled/upset.

I have NO love for Terra Onion and yet I think demanding compensation, exchanges, refunds, etc is going way too far and only makes them regret doing the right thing (backpedaling on earlier statements and agreeing to revise the unit with community input). Don’t validate their earlier stubbornness.

I was extremely excited for the SSDSys3 (as my NintendoAge thread from 2017 shows) but I hesitated when they couldn’t answer the obvious question about what Genesis cables to buy. After witnessing the launch fiasco I resolved not to buy one until they change course and apologize. They’re only halfway there (and regretting even that), so I finally ordered an UpperGrafx UGX-02 on Saturday (alternative to SSDSys3 but with digital video).

Again: No love for TO, but that doesn’t mean I expect unreasonable things from them and make them regret any concessions they make. I see Rev B as an admission that they were wrong and not an opportunity to dogpile on them for stubbornly saying they’d never revise it.
This whole post might as well have been a PM to 1 person...
strygo

Post by strygo »

CZroe wrote:... I finally ordered an UpperGrafx UGX-02 on Saturday (alternative to SSDSys3 but with digital video).
Please create a thread with your experiences once you've had a chance to test the unit!
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Damn was thinking of getting one of these but with all the buzzing issues think ill steer well clear and stick with my RGB Modded Core 1 and Everdrive card
FBX

Post by FBX »

strygo wrote:
CZroe wrote:... I finally ordered an UpperGrafx UGX-02 on Saturday (alternative to SSDSys3 but with digital video).
Please create a thread with your experiences once you've had a chance to test the unit!
UperGrafx also has noise in the audio too unfortunately. The video is digital perfect though, but the main problem is the menu and functions are Japanese-psychopathic. In order to get ISOs to work on it, you have to use a SPECIFIC version of an outdated program, and even at that, you have to do some editing in the CUE file. It was a horrible mess to deal with. The menu would randomly glitch out and crash too.

Bob tried talking to the guy that made it in the hopes he would support more modern and common image formats, as well as fix some of the issues, but he said the guy was stubborn and refused to change it.
darknezz19

Post by darknezz19 »

Has anyone tried one of those cheap emi filters on ebay or amazon. There's a few different ones for like 10 a piece.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

broken wrote:
CZroe wrote:Wow. I was extremely critical of Terra Onion through the entire process and I openly refused to buy one until they apologize to the people who were just trying to help (still waiting on an apology to RetroRGB/Bob).
I’ve seen this mentioned several times recently. Let me make this very clear: Bob and Alex spoke several weeks ago and sorted out their differences. It originally started as a misunderstanding that snowballed from there. I think we have all been there before.

Maybe Bob will pop in here and comment on it, but I believe this has been resolved.
Thanks, Todd. I wish I knew about it sooner. I saw a few jabs back and forth this year and assumed it was still going.
strygo wrote:
Well, that was the plan but the thing isn't even coming on. :( Tested multiple TG16 consoles.

I'm digging through this thread again because I recall reading something about some consoles needing to have a ground connection soldered for SSDSys3 to work... but maybe that was something else somewhere else because I'm not finding it. :(

Edit: I recall where I saw that thing about SSDSys3 not working until you restore some ground connection. It was Ms Mad Lemon's SSDSys3 review ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bVWvTqwkq0 ). https://forums.terraonion.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=67 Those ground points seem to be connected on the TG16 for me.
FBX wrote:UperGrafx also has noise in the audio too unfortunately. The video is digital perfect though, but the main problem is the menu and functions are Japanese-psychopathic. In order to get ISOs to work on it, you have to use a SPECIFIC version of an outdated program, and even at that, you have to do some editing in the CUE file. It was a horrible mess to deal with. The menu would randomly glitch out and crash too.

Bob tried talking to the guy that made it in the hopes he would support more modern and common image formats, as well as fix some of the issues, but he said the guy was stubborn and refused to change it.
Yeah. You've told me about the noise and I was prepared to just tolerate it. :( I re-watched Bob's video while I was prepping my SD card. There's no getting around the clunky menu but there are definitely better methods for handling the CD image peculiarities.

I happen to be a paid user of "outdated" CloneCD but I didn't even bother to retrieve my key and install it. :) Their "How to setup CD-ROM2 system" page tells us to use "CD Manipulator," which is current enough to support Win10 and rips straight to their supported format. I ripped my own discs with CDM, no editing/renaming files required. It's current enough to support Win10 just fine, unlike the real CDRWin (where SSDSys3's BIN/CUE comes from). I don't have anything that rips to BIN/CUE but I hear SSDSys3 got a few similar formats after launch (BIN/CUE/WAV?).

Granted, CDM is already an extra hoop if the game you're working with is already ripped or, you know, downloaded. ;) At least there's no need to burn your files and re-rip thanks to virtual drive software. Just mount the image and rip super-fast with CDM. I think Bob was lucky to even find CD-ROM² games in CloneCD format since I'm not seeing them in the wild. What I did find was a full N.A. English set with a lot of titles I was missing from my REDUMP set but it was all in MAME CHD format. Extracting to BIN/CUE with CHDMAN was tedious, even with the batch files I wrote to do 7 at a time. I still had to mount the extracted BIN/CUE and rip again with CDM. CHD was the biggest hurdle to getting my own set together and SSDSys3 wouldn't have been much easier (no CHD support).

I guess I understand why the creator doesn't want to accommodate downloads vs. backups in Japan's current climate. Some guy even got arrested for hacking SFC Mini (SNES Classic Edition) for his coworkers. Understanding doesn't make it suck less. :( I doubt the creator is going to be able to work on it much since he's in San Diego for the next 6 months (learning English at SDSU). Probably didn't bring his lab. ;)
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

CZroe wrote:I think Bob was lucky to even find CD-ROM² games in CloneCD format since I'm not seeing them in the wild.
The TruRip 2014 and 2016 sets are CloneCD format, I believe (IMG, CCD, SUB, right?). The 2016 set also includes CUE files, making it compatible with the SSDS3 also. The TruRip sets have a lot of stuff that the Redump set is missing.
naz

Post by naz »

correct me if I'm wrong, butI don't think there is a dedicated rgb cable for the ssds3, only a recomendation for using genesis 2 cables. I remember those used to have audio issues, so it may have something to do with the buzzing (?). has enyone tried testing old vs new genesis 2 cables?
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

naz wrote:correct me if I'm wrong, butI don't think there is a dedicated rgb cable for the ssds3, only a recomendation for using genesis 2 cables. I remember those used to have audio issues, so it may have something to do with the buzzing (?). has enyone tried testing old vs new genesis 2 cables?
Many different cables have been tried. It uses a Genesis 2 connector, but Retro Access and Retro Gaming Cables both make high quality options. You can also use HD Retrovision cables.
naz

Post by naz »

I'm getting a micro sd card for the ssds3, the Sandisk Ultra 256gb seem to be the best offer. This card is a C10 U1 A1 (ok for most consoles/everdrives), but giving the ssds3 is a bit "special" I wonder if the Sandisk Extreme might be better. That one is C10 U3 V30 (so faster everything).

I think faster reading means less time accessing the card, so less noise. Terraonion recommends not using Samsung Evo because they cause noise issues (that one is a really slow card, around 20 mb/s reading speed).

So what you think? does the ssds3 has a reading speed limit (like the switch and everdrives)?? is the Extreme overkill??
Galgomite

Post by Galgomite »

darknezz19 wrote:Has anyone tried one of those cheap emi filters on ebay or amazon. There's a few different ones for like 10 a piece.
I suggested a ground loop isolator a couple months back. Got no response to that one either.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

My go to for noise isolation from power supplies is a huge 3300uf electro connected to the barrel plug.

Shuts up my gamegears crappy audio.
darknezz19

Post by darknezz19 »

Tried 3200uf on the barrel input, same result. Tried then 2200uf on each of the 2 vreg output voltages of the ssds3, unfortunately same result.

On a side not looks like FPGA Mister core is coming along nicely, might ditch this setup for one of these in the future.

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=35171
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Well using the big cap on the plug rules out the possibility your PSU is to blame for noise.
Ssds3 PCE is all internal noise..
MilesDP5

Post by MilesDP5 »

From what I've been reading it sounds like the issue is caused by SD access noise. It'd be interesting to see what a Sony premium audio SD would do. Too bad no one bought those.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

MilesDP5 wrote:From what I've been reading it sounds like the issue is caused by SD access noise. It'd be interesting to see what a Sony premium audio SD would do. Too bad no one bought those.
The quality of the SD card will make zero difference for this particular problem.
darknezz19

Post by darknezz19 »

I just realized most all the hucard noise is like that with original cards as well. This clip from 2011 sounds exactly like mine for the begging of this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOFfde5RKkQ

Makes me feel better though. I've been overthinking this whole thing, but I'd still like to know if Super Grafx mitigates this kind of noise.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

darknezz19 wrote:I just realized most all the hucard noise is like that with original cards as well.
It's a flaw in the PC Engine's audio hardware from what I understand, every PC Engine/TG-16 system I've come across does that. I've come to accept it at this point, I don't think I've heard of anyone attempting to fix it yet.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Been spending the day renaming bin/cue folders, then the bin/cues, then editing the lines in each of the cues to match... Because SSDS3 has 56 character limit per file
Ive been using Advanced renamer to do the bin/cues, then use Notepad++ to edit the cues (if they have multiple entries I use the replace all function)

Does someone have a faster way? Many Darkwater rips have file names a mile long...

Code: Select all

neodev

Re: Filename restrictions/guidelines for CD files?
04 Jan 2019, 19:19

There are a few restrictions.
First, you should only use standard ASCII characters in the file names. Any non ascii filename will show garbage or '?'.
Also, there are restrictions on the file names. The file name of a HuCard of .cue file must be 56 characters or less. Any longer file will be tuncated and will fail to
load.
Also, the file name, including path, must not be longer than 1024 characters, including the directory separators.
And there is a limit of 1024 files per directory. If it's exceeded, a message will show in the last file saying there are mor files but aren't shown.
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

Was there a fixed revision of this coming? I think I saw someone talk about it.
Arino

Post by Arino »

Have they fixed all those audio and video issues by now?
Gara

Post by Gara »

Arino wrote:Have they fixed all those audio and video issues by now?
The fixes have been implemented for several months now. Any SSDS3 produced in the last several months has the audio and video fixes implemented. Same quality as you'd get from the FURGB and FBX audio amp bypass on the old version SSDS3.

There has even been a community development in helping reduce any background noise still there.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/30815328

Definitely a strange fix. Something in the SSDS3 design makes it very sensitive to some unknown factor in micro SD brands/models. At least they learned their lesson with the design of the MegaSD. No change in audio quality there.
Arino

Post by Arino »

Gara wrote:
The fixes have been implemented for several months now. Any SSDS3 produced in the last several months has the audio and video fixes implemented. Same quality as you'd get from the FURGB and FBX audio amp bypass on the old version SSDS3.

There has even been a community development in helping reduce any background noise still there.

Definitely a strange fix. Something in the SSDS3 design makes it very sensitive to some unknown factor in micro SD brands/models. At least they learned their lesson with the design of the MegaSD. No change in audio quality there.
Thank you!

I guess it's still a nightmare to set it up though. I mean it's not like you can just dump a full set of ISOs on it and everything will work perfectly, from what I've read.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Gara wrote:

Does anyone know if the Coregrafx with the "updated CPU" to fix audio issues also has the same probs as the PC Engine and TG-16?
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

Josh128 wrote:Does anyone know if the Coregrafx with the "updated CPU" to fix audio issues also has the same probs as the PC Engine and TG-16?
Everything except the SuperGrafx has audio issues with the SSDS3.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
darknezz19

Post by darknezz19 »

but hucards do too.
StrzxgvNuvWvfld

Post by StrzxgvNuvWvfld »

Just got my SSDS3 today.

I'm getting a quite a lot of video noise visible on plain colours, I've uploaded an example image here:

https://ibb.co/yVt4DbJ

(the above moves around in a diagonal pattern across the screen).

I presume as I've just bought a new unit, the fixes will be applied (v 01.02 R05?), so I'm trying to get to the bottom of the problem.

I've tried cleaning the pins and I've tried three PSUs (including a more expensive one that's meant for powering guitar effects pedals) and the noise doesn't change.

I'm using a brand new c-sync cable (https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/seg ... le-tv-lead) into a Framemeister.

I'm wondering could the issue be because I have an RGB mod installed in my Core Grafx? I don't know what kind of mod it is as it was already installed when I bought it a few years ago, but I could get a screwdriver to open it up and see. It outputs RGB using the din on the side. This still works completely noise free with the SSDS3 installed, but obviously I'm missing CD audio.

I'll buy an unmodded PC Engine if necessary, but I don't want to do that only to find the issue is something else.

Does anyone have any ideas?
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

The issue is the ssds3. An fu-rgb mod might help. It might not...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk