Super SD System 3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
PaTaito

Re: Super SD System 3

Post by PaTaito »

fernan1234 wrote:Also anyone with testing equipment should try to compare audio noise loading HuCard games from the SSDS3's memory card versus an Everdrive, both outputting through the SSDS3. Just going by what my ear hears, I feel there's more noise when loading from the SD card vs. the Everdrive.
I'll try this out myself later as i have both. Again though, if true, this would point towards what FBX said about EMI. Using a seperate modboard is simply the answer for me...my modded unit was just so much better. I'd be "happy as larry" if this unit sounded the same as that right now.
Last edited by PaTaito on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Since you use headphones this will drive you nuts for sure! I should get the modboard too, will just have to find someone to install it for me. I really want this thing to eventually replace my IFU.
PaTaito

Post by PaTaito »

fernan1234 wrote:Since you use headphones this will drive you nuts for sure! I should get the modboard too, will just have to find someone to install it for me. I really want this thing to eventually replace my IFU.
Trust me brother it already has been, using it at low volumes isn't my idea of gaming pleasure, i like my shooters and i like the music to pump out so...i haven't been able to use it much.

I took firebrands image of the new ssd3 board(and audio modboard), along with his notes on what needs replacing, and drew up a simple visual guide for anyone wanting to install the modboard:

I'll be doing mine over the coming weekend when i get home.
darknezz19

Post by darknezz19 »

Is your guy's Rev B's buzzing more playing hu card roms? It varies but the high pitch squeal is loader when music is being outputted, or even not being outputted. It is especially loader loading up Final Blaster (J) when the NAMCOT logo scrolls and at the title screen. Compare this to the menu screen squeal of SSDS3 and it way more noticeable. Is my unit defective maybe or are you guys getting this too?
PaTaito

Post by PaTaito »

darknezz19 wrote:Is your guy's Rev B's buzzing more playing hu card roms? It varies but the high pitch squeal is loader when music is being outputted, or even not being outputted. It is especially loader loading up Final Blaster (J) when the NAMCOT logo scrolls and at the title screen. Compare this to the menu screen squeal of SSDS3 and it way more noticeable. Is my unit defective maybe or are you guys getting this too?
No it sounds like mine to be honest. I think there are small differences in the type of noise between CD/Hucard ouput(which makes sense as redbook is being accessed the whole time from the micro sd card in some games), but the actual noise levels themselves seem consistent aside from these small variables in types of noise.

On mine the noise is identical to the faint whiney distortion you can hear on FBX's modboard demo video, the difference being on his video his ssd3 volume is nice and high while the distortion is faint(like what i experienced with my own mod). On my Rev B the distortion would be maybe 3 times as apparent at the same volume FBX is using on that demo video.

Before i actually do my own mod i want to try some headphones which are less sensitive, just to be sure the effect is consistent across hardware. I'll grab my hd660s from my parents house at the weekend.
Neodev

Post by Neodev »

Syntax wrote:They rushed out every revision and only had a handful of units tested by randoms each time, mostly by eye and ear.

As far as I can tell there was never a decent scale scope check on any revision.

You would think they'd have learnt the first time to check everything thoroughly and professionally.. but excuses and sad stories seems like the go to plan for Alex.

The secret new product has this same buzzing issue, so it's a problem with their pcb designer/EE.
Time to do some research on the relationship between analog and digital signals and how to correctly route them, or find a real EE.
You are a bag of lies that have literally no inside information and no clue about what you are talking about.

You are just fishing trying to pick something using social engineering, you can be sure this dosen´t works with me.

Neosd and super sd system 3 pcbs were designed by an engineer that dosen´t designs pcbs for Terraonion anymore. The last pcb he designed was Super SD System 3 PCB.
In summer 2017 after Super SD System 3 issue, we hired not one but two new electronic engineers that designed so far 7 pcbs for us. I can tell you that one worked on PCBS that are inside Ferraris, and other high end automorive products, but i am sure you already know about that with your "inside information".

The first product they worked at is NEOSD PRO, a 6 layers pcb. And even not having inside information or a clue about what we are doing, one can see that NEOSD PRO and Super SD System 3 pcbs are day and night compared each other. Matched traces, decoupling measures ...

Those same engineers have developed the pcbs for the projects we are going to anounce on the following weeks, and that you say that were done by the same person that did super sd system 3 design, with your "inside information". You just need basic electronic knowleague, look at the pictures of both pcbs and no "inside information" at all is needed to realize that this is not true.

Resuming : keep saying shit and proving ourselves that you are a bag of shit that knows nothing. Enjoy your game, and next time you write my name, try to clean your fingers before type it
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Hi neodev,

I can't enjoy my game because I have one PCB of yours designed by that engineer you had to fire (for being incompetent?). Could I get a refund, please?

(Also, I promise I just cleaned my hands.)
darknezz19

Post by darknezz19 »

I eagerly await to hear how the external mod turns out on your REV B PaTaito. If that fixes the issue I'll be a happy camper.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Neodev wrote:
Syntax wrote:They rushed out every revision and only had a handful of units tested by randoms each time, mostly by eye and ear.

As far as I can tell there was never a decent scale scope check on any revision.

You would think they'd have learnt the first time to check everything thoroughly and professionally.. but excuses and sad stories seems like the go to plan for Alex.

The secret new product has this same buzzing issue, so it's a problem with their pcb designer/EE.
Time to do some research on the relationship between analog and digital signals and how to correctly route them, or find a real EE.
You are a bag of lies that have literally no inside information and no clue about what you are talking about.

You are just fishing trying to pick something using social engineering, you can be sure this dosen´t works with me.

Neosd and super sd system 3 pcbs were designed by an engineer that dosen´t designs pcbs for Terraonion anymore. The last pcb he designed was Super SD System 3 PCB.
In summer 2017 after Super SD System 3 issue, we hired not one but two new electronic engineers that designed so far 7 pcbs for us. I can tell you that one worked on PCBS that are inside Ferraris, and other high end automorive products, but i am sure you already know about that with your "inside information".

The first product they worked at is NEOSD PRO, a 6 layers pcb. And even not having inside information or a clue about what we are doing, one can see that NEOSD PRO and Super SD System 3 pcbs are day and night compared each other. Matched traces, decoupling measures ...

Those same engineers have developed the pcbs for the projects we are going to anounce on the following weeks, and that you say that were done by the same person that did super sd system 3 design, with your "inside information". You just need basic electronic knowleague, look at the pictures of both pcbs and no "inside information" at all is needed to realize that this is not true.

Resuming : keep saying shit and proving ourselves that you are a bag of shit that knows nothing. Enjoy your game, and next time you write my name, try to clean your fingers before type it

Man you type so much in an attempt to deter from the original accusation?

The fact is that your audio circuit for SSDS3 and your new secret sauce WERE DESIGNED AND SIGNED OFF BY FBX and both boards show the same buzzing issue..
So who ever placed said cicuit on said board is to blame.
Your new EE or old one? Who cares.

I'm not wrong and you know it, I just come here from time to time to have a laugh at the circus you run.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Syntax wrote:
The fact is that your audio circuit for SSDS3 and your new secret sauce WERE DESIGNED AND SIGNED OFF BY FBX and both boards show the same buzzing issue..
The only thing I've 'signed off' on was the new revision of the SSDS3. Mobius and I both tested it on our setups, and the amount of buzzing was barely audible. And something else you need to understand here is the buzzing IS NOT because of the audio circuit. How do I know this? Because its the SAME circuit used in my bypass board. It's also based on the same op-amp used in crystal clear audio mods for the Genesis like the Mega Amp 2.0 and my own Mini Mega. So please stop insinuating the buzzing is coming from the audio circuit. It isn't. Rather instead, the buzzing is proximity-EMI-based, which I've already said countless times now.
PaTaito

Post by PaTaito »

FBX wrote:
Syntax wrote:
The only thing I've 'signed off' on was the new revision of the SSDS3. Mobius and I both tested it on our setups, and the amount of buzzing was barely audible. And something else you need to understand here is the buzzing IS NOT because of the audio circuit. How do I know this? Because its the SAME circuit used in my bypass board. It's also based on the same op-amp used in crystal clear audio mods for the Genesis like the Mega Amp 2.0 and my own Mini Mega. So please stop insinuating the buzzing is coming from the audio circuit. It isn't. Rather instead, the buzzing is proximity-EMI-based, which I've already said countless times now.
To be fair its an absolute improvement over the original unmodded SSD3 so its welcome either way.

The EMI thing is absolutely true though based on my own observations. The seperate PCB is everything it would seem.

I tried my sennheiser headphones(150ohm) which are much harder to drive than the ones i was previously using(24ohm), and the noise is less of an issue. To the point where i'm not sure i will invalidade the warranty by using a modboard...honestly i'm torn. The OCD in me will probably prevail though.

I still say its fantastic work by Voultar and FBX and anyone else involved. I also still applaud terraonion for at least including this in a new updated board...i mean lets face it they could have just carried on with the older revision with these modboards available seperate, so a little perspective maybe in order.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Can someone do a recording of the two versions to compare the intensity of the buzz?

Is it possible it's a manufacturing issue (different components, etc.)? It doesn't sound like it's on all instances of the Rev. B board.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

SavagePencil wrote:Can someone do a recording of the two versions to compare the intensity of the buzz?

Is it possible it's a manufacturing issue (different components, etc.)? It doesn't sound like it's on all instances of the Rev. B board.
If it's a proximity EMI issue, then there could be a lot of factors. Obviously proximity on the board itself is one issue, but since FBX and Mobius presumably tested on "identical" boards, the suggestion to me is that it could have a lot more to do with external interference. I'm not an electrician and I won't pretend that I am any sort of expert in electronics, but things that I can think of that could affect the noise level:
-Proximity of the SSDS3 to EMI sources - for example, if your power strip is really close to the SSDS3 or it's right next to your CRT, etc
-PSU used. Cheap/poorly made PSU or an older, degrading PSU could be a source of noise.
-"Dirty" power lines in the house
-Living in a generally electrically noisy place
-CFL bulbs

And some potential things to try to eliminate noise without diving into internal mods:
-Moving the console/SSDS3 to another location
-Plugging into a different outlet, preferably on a different circuit
-Swapping to a different/better PSU
-Plugging the PSU into a power conditioner with EMI filter
-Adding shielding (maybe outside the SSDS3 to experiment, but ideally it would be a shield inside the SSDS3)
-Just touching the grounds (with your fingers) to see if that changes anything

Some of these might sound silly, but based on my experience with guitars, which are super prone to noise interference, any or all of these things can make a difference. I don't have an SSDS3 to experiment with, so I can't comment on the effectiveness of any of these, but considering that two trusted sources here tested the boards before release and did not notice any issues and now other people using theoretically identical boards are having issues suggests to me that the issue could be external.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Did everyone experiencing noise issues get a unit assembled by SAG? Just in case that's another variable to consider, since I assume Mobius and FBX got theirs directly from TO.
darknezz19

Post by darknezz19 »

Mines from SAG.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Some people have had both board revisions and are hearing buzz where they weren't before. That'd be the group I'd focus on first, before blaming the environment.
Gara

Post by Gara »

fernan1234 wrote:Did everyone experiencing noise issues get a unit assembled by SAG? Just in case that's another variable to consider, since I assume Mobius and FBX got theirs directly from TO.

I'm pretty sure they are just reselling stock direct from Terraonion. As far as I know they don't assemble any product outside of cartridge casing and labels.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

Blaming peoples setups for the new audio buzzing issue on the Rev. B board seems stupid at best when they've clearly stated that the previous modded version didn't have the buzzing. Did TO pull a fast one and send FBX & Mobius a different version with higher quality components so they'd review it favorably? Wouldn't put it past them at this point. Complete & utter scumbags that they are...
darknezz19

Post by darknezz19 »

I don't think that's it. It was there to begin with but most people notice it with headphones or hooking up to an AV receiver.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

SavagePencil wrote:Some people have had both board revisions and are hearing buzz where they weren't before. That'd be the group I'd focus on first, before blaming the environment.
Yep, even if the causes are environmental, this new revision seems to be significantly more susceptible to them. I actually owned the previous revision 2 for a while before selling it after learning of its issues, but I do not recall being greeted immediately with such noticeable audio noise in the same setup (though I do recall noticing the SD card access noise that people pointed out back then, which seems to have been solved on this one at least).

Looks like on this new revision removing the audio components from the main board is the only way to go for those who have this problem.
Gara

Post by Gara »

tusecsy wrote:Blaming peoples setups for the new audio buzzing issue on the Rev. B board seems stupid at best when they've clearly stated that the previous modded version didn't have the buzzing. Did TO pull a fast one and send FBX & Mobius a different version with higher quality components so they'd review it favorably? Wouldn't put it past them at this point. Complete & utter scumbags that they are...
FBX states just a few posts up that there was indeed noise on the unit he received for testing. Just as there is noise on all older units modded with the external audio board. He reported it as barely audible. The mystifying part is why it's so prevalent for others. It doesn't appear to be an issue of a super secret revision. Peoples setup seems to be the variable we can't pin down.

Edit: to further expand why system variables isn't so crazy FBX has already eliminated every variable in his setup. He's using one of the most interference free versions of the PC Engine (Supergrafx), a modern psu, fully shielded cables, and presumably has already eliminated any power issues that could cause issue in his setup.

It may just be a case of people hearing things differently. Time will tell as more buyers report in. It would be amusing if Terraonion changed something from the test boards though. :lol:
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Mine was from SAG. IMHO it's not the environment--or at least it shouldn't perform that poorly in an environment where other consoles have no issue.

I literally removed my JVC X'eye from my console stack, and replaced it with my CoreGrafx/SSDS3 combo. Same spot. Same shielded RGB cable. I used both the provided PSU (no name) and a Genesis Model 1. I even used ANOTHER shielded cable I had for my MD model 2.

I have a groovymame pc nearby that when on provides the faintest of buzzing--like, get your ear right up to the speaker to hear it. Everything other console is essentially silent.

The SSDS3 buzz and hum was jarring and could easily be heard from 8 feet away at moderate listening levels. Mine buzzed while accessing the SD card too--someone said that had been solved? Not on my unit.

Navigating the menu was the worst. Switching to Bin/Cue mode was terrible. Different game names gave different tonalities of buzzing.

And just so people don't think I live in some RF nightmare, the spot it sat in was 6mG (magnetic) and 0.001mW/m2. That's sitting on top of an original Xbox, off but powered. When I cut power to the stack it drops to 1.2mG.

My duo sat in that same spot for ages with no buzzing.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

Gara wrote:
tusecsy wrote:Blaming peoples setups for the new audio buzzing issue on the Rev. B board seems stupid at best when they've clearly stated that the previous modded version didn't have the buzzing. Did TO pull a fast one and send FBX & Mobius a different version with higher quality components so they'd review it favorably? Wouldn't put it past them at this point. Complete & utter scumbags that they are...
FBX states just a few posts up that there was indeed noise on the unit he received for testing. Just as there is noise on all older units modded with the external audio board. He reported it as barely audible. The mystifying part is why it's so prevalent for others. It doesn't appear to be an issue of a super secret revision. Peoples setup seems to be the variable we can't pin down.

Edit: to further expand why system variables isn't so crazy FBX has already eliminated every variable in his setup. He's using one of the most interference free versions of the PC Engine (Supergrafx), a modern psu, fully shielded cables, and presumably has already eliminated any power issues that could cause issue in his setup.

It may just be a case of people hearing things differently. Time will tell as more buyers report in. It would be amusing if Terraonion changed something from the test boards though. :lol:
Yes but FBX said the previous version with the mod boards had the same buzzing and that nothing was different ont he new TO revision. Now we have multiple people saying the problem is significantly worse on the new TO version. It isn't people hearing things or their setup I'm sorry, we've been through this before with shady-ass TO. Since FBX is obviously 100% trustworthy what other conclusion can be reached other than the unit he received is somehow different than the ones that went out to consumers?

Any way you slice it, I'm more than happy I have the two mod boards on the previous Rev here. And am going to avoid anything TO makes in the future that's for sure. Is there a bigger shit company in video games today? I can't really think of one.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

If folks use something like a pre amp mixer in their chain, the audio noise may be related to that. In my setup, if I lower the output of the pre amp mixer and rely on the amp alone to produce volume, I will get noise. If I crank the pre amp mixer up to about 90% level and then adjust the amp and capture devices (amplification stage) accordingly, there is no noise. That may be unique to my setup but just a thought.

Pce cg2 on tg original nec power supply, recapped pce cg2, heavy duty shielded scart cable from rgc. Well, rev b ssds3 with fbx audio amp, and replaced audio circuit fix cap (nichicon).

Anyone using an ossc in the chain, that might also be a factor...audio gain settings.

Just some random thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

All of my 9 consoles' audio go only through my Onkyo integrated amp a-9010 to polk tower speakers, and none of them besides this new SSDS3 produces anything even remotely close in terms of variable background noise. While the sources of the noise may lie elsewhere, the fundamental problem comes down to this unit being vulnerable to them much more than the 20+ year old equipment we game on.
PaTaito

Post by PaTaito »

fernan1234 wrote:All of my 9 consoles' audio go only through my Onkyo integrated amp a-9010 to polk tower speakers, and none of them besides this new SSDS3 produces anything even remotely close in terms of variable background noise. While the sources of the noise may lie elsewhere, the fundamental problem comes down to this unit being vulnerable to them much more than the 20+ year old equipment we game on.
Well i use a monster RGB(Monster MV3 AVSC-CCTR) switcher unit, with saturn, ps1, snes mini, pc engine/ssd3, all connected via retrogamingcables packapunch RGB(shielded) cables, and all this connected to a Sony PVM-14L3 using a THOR RGB cable to a SCART>BNC cable from retrogamingcables. I use a FiiO K5 headphone amp, fed by QED interconnects from the monster RGB switcher, to drive any connected headphones. Everything else sounds perfect...and again the older modded ssd3 sounded better even before i got my packapunch cable for it.

I even use a high quality monster multi socket from the wall. If its anything in my setup i don't know what the hell it could possibly be...i've gone above and beyond to make sure every element is of very high quality.

As i said previously though switching to more demanding headphones slightly lessened the noise for me. To levels where i'm not sure i want to risk any more modding. However doing an apples to apples comparison, in terms of equipment used, obviously yielded noticeable differences...as in using the more sensitive headphones on the previous modded unit didn't take anything away from my enjoyment of the games.

Seems like there is nothing that can be done fella's. If you are super anal about quality the mod might be worth it, if not rest assured its at least an improvement on the older stock unit. Unless some people are suggesting otherwise? I modded mine day one so can barely remember the stock performance of the older revision.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

NoAffinity wrote:If folks use something like a pre amp mixer in their chain, the audio noise may be related to that. In my setup, if I lower the output of the pre amp mixer and rely on the amp alone to produce volume, I will get noise. If I crank the pre amp mixer up to about 90% level and then adjust the amp and capture devices (amplification stage) accordingly, there is no noise. That may be unique to my setup but just a thought.

Pce cg2 on tg original nec power supply, recapped pce cg2, heavy duty shielded scart cable from rgc. Well, rev b ssds3 with fbx audio amp, and replaced audio circuit fix cap (nichicon).

Anyone using an ossc in the chain, that might also be a factor...audio gain settings.

Just some random thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Then why didn't these same people have audio issues with the previous version with the FBX mod installed? The only variable here is the new SSDS3 revision. That's the culprit, as always.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

I'm not saying that the new one isn't worse than the old ones. I've never owned any revision, so I can't say that one is better or worse. However, saying that other consoles don't buzz is not useful or even particularly relevant. Of course they don't. Nearly every console has internal shielding, especially in the US where the FCC requires it. Heck, even the PCE has SOME shielding. But NO revision of the SSDS3 has any internal shielding that I can see. Would a better PCB layout (or separate audio PCB) help eliminate the problem? Probably, based on what others have said. I'm just saying that there are other (cheaper/less invasive) things to try before going that route. If those don't help, then sure, clearly something is wrong with the board. But, since moving your console around and experimenting with other things is basically free, not at least trying those is... silly to say the least. For example, there's a thread on here about 8bitdo's new wireless Genesis controllers and I believe it was FBX who discovered that they added some buzz in certain cases but moving the receiver farther from the console or otherwise shielding it seemed to reduce the buzzing.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I experimented with most of your suggestions before you posted them, except using a power conditioner since I don't have one, or making my own shielding for the SSDS3. None of it made a difference.
PaTaito

Post by PaTaito »

The more i try and use this the more its becoming apparent that the biggest difference is SD card access noise.
thebigcheese wrote:I'm not saying that the new one isn't worse than the old ones. I've never owned any revision, so I can't say that one is better or worse. However, saying that other consoles don't buzz is not useful or even particularly relevant. Of course they don't. Nearly every console has internal shielding, especially in the US where the FCC requires it. Heck, even the PCE has SOME shielding. But NO revision of the SSDS3 has any internal shielding that I can see. Would a better PCB layout (or separate audio PCB) help eliminate the problem? Probably, based on what others have said. I'm just saying that there are other (cheaper/less invasive) things to try before going that route. If those don't help, then sure, clearly something is wrong with the board. But, since moving your console around and experimenting with other things is basically free, not at least trying those is... silly to say the least. For example, there's a thread on here about 8bitdo's new wireless Genesis controllers and I believe it was FBX who discovered that they added some buzz in certain cases but moving the receiver farther from the console or otherwise shielding it seemed to reduce the buzzing.
Well given the modded SSD3 i was using previously also had no shielding, and even the cables i used with it at the time were unshielded, while the positioning of everything in my setup is still the same...i would think it safe to assume outside interference isn't the issue here. Especially given the quality of all my cabling and the rest of my setup, along with the fact that i'm now using fully shielded cables on the SSD3 too.