Super SD System 3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
thebigcheese

Re: Super SD System 3

Post by thebigcheese »

Mobiusstriptech wrote:To be clear on this, my name may not be on Voultars board, but I provided the vast majority of testing during the entire design phase. I provided the boards and manufactured them at cost to the community. I continue to offer the boards pre-assembled at a reasonable price and still installed for an even more reasonable price. Voultar can come on and disagree if he wants but I feel like this board is every bit a joint effort and equally mine and his.
Fair enough, just trying to defend you :)

Edit: To be clear, I am not blaming Voultar or FBX either. Kudos all around to the three of you for all the work.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I was just able to test a Supergrafx with the rev. B SSDS3. Quick findings. I hope this will be useful information for anyone who owns or is thinking about buying a new SSDS3.

Good news:
-I hate to say something that will further help to drive SGX prices up (though there is hope, read below), but with the SGX there is ZERO SD card access noise. This is in HUGE contrast to both the white PCE and Coregrafx II I tested earlier, which had the same IMO completely unbearable SD read noise basically all the time while playing CD games. On the SGX, CD games and HuCard games only have that baseline pitch that you can hear also on FBX's recordings. It sounds exactly the same as his.
-No need for a recap or voltage regulator change (at least on an SGX). AFAIK, this SGX has not been recapped and performs as well as the one FBX recorded.
-It's not about the PSU. I tested both an original PAD-113 as well as the same third party switching supply I used with the PCE/CG (paired with a 6.3x3.0 adapter).

Potentially good news:
-A Turbografx 16 may perform just as well, obviating the need for an expensive SGX. I suspect that like the SGX, the TG16's different/larger motherboard avoids the EMI that the tiny square boards of PCE/CG consoles are so vulnerable to. After all, I recall two users here reporting no issues with their TG16 consoles, and no one who is having problems seems to be using one.
-Another hypothesis is that the key variable is the HU6280a shared by the SGX and CGI (and some TG16?). I'm skeptical about this one though, but I'll be able to confirm once I receive and test a CGI in a day or two.

Bad news:
-If you own a white PCE or Core II (and probably Core I), you're screwed. I doubt recaps and all that will make a difference for this, but I'd love to be wrong.

A remaining question is whether the older SSDS3 revisions, with the external fixes, performed exactly as this rev. B on PCEs and CGIIs. I can't imagine people being satisfied if that were the case.

Personally I'm not sure what to do. I bought this SGX thinking only to test it and re-sell it, but if the only other alternative is a TG16 I may be forced to keep it, since I'm not a fan of the latter's look :lol:

Conclusion so far is exactly what I had guessed earlier. One thing's for sure: if you can afford an SGX, this rev. B will be exactly as good as it was claimed to be. Maybe also with a TG16.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Mobiusstriptech wrote:The only additional cost for the audio fix was purchasing the audio board from FBX, which he and others can attest I did on many occasions. The overall additional cost, including shipping and buying the audio board from FBX was under $100USD for most customers inside and outside the US. You can't compare my pricing to VGP because VGP was selling at a low margin but still at a profit, I was not. $35 was install of both boards and the FU-RGB video board. With the FBX board coming in at another $40, if you bought from him directly.
$35 + $40 + $45 (rough estimation of round-trip shipping from Euroland) = $120, not counting possible extra taxes

And you needed to be "around" the short period your offer was alive.

That's not embraceable for anyone who bought a $300 device which should have come flawless. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying you did a bad service, nor that it's not enough from your part... nothing along those lines. Just that you lost the perspective if you think that after spending $300 on a device like this, adding another good $120 is a reasonable solution for most. Not to mention again that you can't get it today for that amount.

I have no intention/desire/plan to defend TerraOnion. I have nothing to do with them.
Good to know. But then please, do not try to present the +$120 issue as a $35 one.

What I don't like is seeing someone come on a forum and complain about how a random person who went out of their way to help the community, didn't do enough.
My english must be terrible because I can't find a single line which could be understood that way. Much the contrary, I can count at least three times where I thanked anybody involved in finding the solution to the flawed device.

So yes, I will buy your device and sell it fixed to someone who actually wants it. Then you will have nothing to complain about and your frustration over ignoring 9 months worth of work (6 months of solid R&D/3 months of sales/installs) and saying that you weren't personally made aware will no longer matter.
Three persons happier, then. But it's not a matter of myself, it's a matter of a company not annoucing all that in their homepage for anybody potentially interested who doesn't follow whatever forums or social media. Much like the fact that the device they're selling now has a revised PCB fixing old flaws with no mention whatsoever.

Anything I said was against Terraonion and not against yourself nor the people involved in the fixes, which obviously would be nuts. You can check it out quite easily.

Nobody is forgetting what transpired over the last year. It's chronicled all over. We have screenshots and videos for proof of everything. At $300 I absolutely agree it should have been perfect, but it wasn't. So now there are solutions, you can choose to live with it the way it is, you can choose to get the fixes which do correct everything, or you can find something else. I'm offering to solve your problem for you because I am tired of it and will have 0 problem selling the unit after I install the fixes.
Glad to know, really. But what I brought back is a 2-months-old issue (that a new revision that fixes the flaws is silently available at the same price with no sign of compensation to old customers). Because the company isn't even responding mails and because there's still time to amend the situation if enough people complain.

(Also, thanks to fernan1234 for the tests on the new revision which seems to confirm its own problem.)
Mobiusstriptech

Post by Mobiusstriptech »

My offer was not short lived. My offer was valid for 3 almost 4 months. No company would announce on their homepage that you can buy their device and then click these links to have it modded.

Your continued pointing out that you missed out and didn't see the posts anywhere is where you are attacking me. As if I somehow owed you personally to provide a cheaper solution because you didn't see it. Or that I didn't post information in enough places. Over 300 people took advantage of it. That's a sizable amount of people.

This is literally my last statement on this. I am unsubscribing from this thread because I am tired of this nonsense. It is not my fault that you, Bassa-Bassa, did not use the internet for 4 months or pay any attention to the goings on with a product that you so obviously despise and keep hammering on about. It is also not my fault that you "missed" out because I didn't personally reach out to you or TerraOnion didn't post to their homepage, even though I posted on their Support forums. I literally owe you nothing. You can complain until you are blue in the face but you will never get what you are asking for from TerraOnion. You will not get a discount or a straight swap or any compensation. I offered you a solution and instead of taking it and leaving this alone, you want to keep coming back to how TerraOnion owes you something and I didn't keep my offer of losing money long enough for you. My offer stands because I am a man of my word. But I expect you will just take the money and buy another one instead of walking away with your money back.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Mobiusstriptech wrote:Your continued pointing out that you missed out and didn't see the posts anywhere is where you are attacking me. As if I somehow owed you personally to provide a cheaper solution because you didn't see it.
Lol what? Now it's clear you aren't even reading my posts.

But I expect you will just take the money and buy another one instead of walking away with your money back.
Not sure what'd be your gain with that, but I can assure you beforehand that I'm not doing that unless Terraonion sincerely apologize to old customers on their homepage and the new version is proven free of flaws. But you already knew that since you wanted me to "wash my hands of all this and never deal with TerraOnion again", didn't you?
elevengames

Post by elevengames »

Bassa-Bassa - good job on running off Mobius, likely the most knowledgeable person on this thread as it pertains to the troubleshooting of SSDS3s. People like you are why helpful people aren't contributing to these forums as often any more. Again, Bravo. Keep on whining and bitching.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

elevengames wrote:Bassa-Bassa - good job on running off Mobius, likely the most knowledgeable person on this thread as it pertains to the troubleshooting of SSDS3s. People like you are why helpful people aren't contributing to these forums as often any more. Again, Bravo. Keep on whining and bitching.
oh shit watch out, he's going to find a way to break up your 3 sentence post into 5 quote blocks and complain that no one is reading it
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Not needed, I'll just say that how's my fault if he read "Mobius" wherever I said "Terraonion".
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Bassa-Bassa, I sympathize with your frustration. But you've made your points more than sufficiently and this is not the right venue to repeat them, and you're distracting from already diminishing efforts to troubleshoot these still flawed devices, which is the best we can do since nothing can be expected from TO. If you insist on airing your frustrations, you should be instead posting on the official Terraonion forums: https://forums.terraonion.com/viewforum.php?f=10
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Bassa-Bassa, please just troll somewhere else. Mobius is a great guy, and he's done his best to help the community by offering his services for multiple months at a very low price.

He's now even offered to buy your units, so that you can get your money back and move on. I doubt you will take him up on that offer, because it sounds like you're just here to be a keyboard warrior and bitch and whine about what transpired in the past and not bother looking at the solutions in front of you. People like you don't want to be helped. You just want to complain.
I visit the terraonion forums frequently, and I haven't seen you post there. Why don't you vent your frustrations there, hmm? Too chickenshit?

@Mobius, don't let this troll run you off. There's going to people like him showing up time to time, taking shots at Terraonion and your efforts to help them. Just ignore them. They'll eventually go away.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

fernan1234 wrote:I was just able to test a Supergrafx with the rev. B SSDS3. Quick findings. I hope this will be useful information for anyone who owns or is thinking about buying a new SSDS3.

Good news:
-I hate to say something that will further help to drive SGX prices up (though there is hope, read below), but with the SGX there is ZERO SD card access noise. This is in HUGE contrast to both the white PCE and Coregrafx II I tested earlier, which had the same IMO completely unbearable SD read noise basically all the time while playing CD games. On the SGX, CD games and HuCard games only have that baseline pitch that you can hear also on FBX's recordings. It sounds exactly the same as his.
-No need for a recap or voltage regulator change (at least on an SGX). AFAIK, this SGX has not been recapped and performs as well as the one FBX recorded.
-It's not about the PSU. I tested both an original PAD-113 as well as the same third party switching supply I used with the PCE/CG (paired with a 6.3x3.0 adapter).

Potentially good news:
-A Turbografx 16 may perform just as well, obviating the need for an expensive SGX. I suspect that like the SGX, the TG16's different/larger motherboard avoids the EMI that the tiny square boards of PCE/CG consoles are so vulnerable to. After all, I recall two users here reporting no issues with their TG16 consoles, and no one who is having problems seems to be using one.
-Another hypothesis is that the key variable is the HU6280a shared by the SGX and CGI (and some TG16?). I'm skeptical about this one though, but I'll be able to confirm once I receive and test a CGI in a day or two.

Bad news:
-If you own a white PCE or Core II (and probably Core I), you're screwed. I doubt recaps and all that will make a difference for this, but I'd love to be wrong.

A remaining question is whether the older SSDS3 revisions, with the external fixes, performed exactly as this rev. B on PCEs and CGIIs. I can't imagine people being satisfied if that were the case.

Personally I'm not sure what to do. I bought this SGX thinking only to test it and re-sell it, but if the only other alternative is a TG16 I may be forced to keep it, since I'm not a fan of the latter's look :lol:

Conclusion so far is exactly what I had guessed earlier. One thing's for sure: if you can afford an SGX, this rev. B will be exactly as good as it was claimed to be. Maybe also with a TG16.
One other potential difference that is probably not relevant, but the TG16 had to abide by US FCC laws and thus has a full shield around the entire motherboard. The PCE and both CG units only have shielding on the underside. I doubt this is the source of the issue, but it's another difference between the consoles. On the other hand, I suspect the SuperGrafx is more akin to the PCE and CG in that regard, so you might be on to something that just having the larger, more spread-out circuit board is what makes the difference. There's been a lot of talk here about PCB layout of the SSDS3, but none about PCB layout of the PCE (AFAIK). Would be interesting to compare layouts of the TG16 and SuperGrafx to the PCE and CoreGrafx and see what's going on there.
darknezz19

Post by darknezz19 »

FBX do you think cutting power from the EXT port and hard wiring in a dedicated supply for the SSDS could help the noise?
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

darknezz19 wrote:FBX do you think cutting power from the EXT port and hard wiring in a dedicated supply for the SSDS could help the noise?
I would love to see the results from that experiment . But I think it would really require an extensive redesign of the SSDS3 PCB. I don't think you could mod the external supply into the current design -- at least the way it would need to be to correct the issues.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

A few of us have already tried seperate power sources for ssds3 and it didnt help.

Just steer clean of the white pce. Cores are redesigned and work much better.

My white pce recapped and new regulator is crap compared to my untouched core.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Syntax wrote:Cores are redesigned and work much better.
Nah, I would strongly advise against suggesting people to use Cores with the SSDS3 as a satisfactory solution, for now at least. Sure, they have less overall noise than the PCE, but when it comes to SD read buzz (IMO by far the most obnoxious problem), they are just as bad.

I think a TG16 is probably the safer bet. I won't be testing one though. Already spent too much money on all the JP consoles for testing.

edit: btw if anyone wants a core i/ii let me know lol (the ii already has jailbar fix). Probably will sell the IFU too now that I found a solution for the ssds3.
darknezz19

Post by darknezz19 »

I'm not sure why it's suggested TG-16 will have low noise. Mine has a lot of noise, but don't have a white PCE to compare. Hopefully my SSDS3 isn't defective.
FBX

Post by FBX »

fernan1234 wrote:I was just able to test a Supergrafx with the rev. B SSDS3. Quick findings. I hope this will be useful information for anyone who owns or is thinking about buying a new SSDS3.

Good news:
And this is where I gave up. As you noted, the SSDS3 sounds nearly flawless on a Super Grafx. If my sound circuit was shit, that wouldn't be possible. What is it that the Super Grafx is doing that the other consoles are not?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Following up on my testing from yesterday, got a chance to test a Core 1, also made some recordings of all consoles. These are my last findings after testing all console models except a TG16.
TLDR: SD card access buzz noise was NOT properly fixed on rev. B, possibly not on external bypass either. Audio fix was optimized for SuperGrafx and was not properly tested by TO. All Japanese non-SGX consoles produce buzzing noise in CD games virtually throughout all gameplay.

All of these 6-7 second clips were taken during silent moments in a game. Unfortunately, these are phone recordings, but I think they do the job well enough to show the problem very clearly.

CoreGrafx 1, CD game while SD card is being read (i.e. basically all the damn time):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eHyZ5 ... heLhK4tvYP

CoreGrafx 2, CD game:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rwWnf ... 5E04bcYV3L

PC Engine, CD game:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15RpsJ ... iPYs_tB3qf

SuperGrafx, CD game:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UmiWK ... X2JEOADK1J

Take aways:
-Core 1 and 2 have the same level of buzzing, which is certainly present enough to be disruptive not only during silent moments. I am confident these two units are representative of how all Core models perform.
-PCE is the worst, but this recording may not be indicative of how all white PCEs perform, since this one has a history of modding and may be in particularly bad shape.
-The SGX has ZERO SD card read buzz. The difference is insane. The only sound is the baseline pitch common to the Core consoles also.
-Still need to test TG16, which may perform close or equal to the SGX given its larger/different PCB layout.

Now, some HuCard game silence recordings:

CoreGrafx 1 HuCard:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZiaMo ... VVRHsBT-NL

SuperGrafx HuCard:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BFsB7 ... Yb2fObPTjK

PC engine HuCard:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oC1fA ... o19jVi9kqV

Take aways:
-ZERO buzzing on HuCard games across Core 1, Core 2 (recording omitted), and SGX, all of which only have the usual baseline pitch.
-This PCE is once again horrible, perhaps even worse than on CD games since it combines both a buzz and a high pitch sound.
-TG16 most likely performs the same as the Cores and Super.

My own take on this is that it’s utter BS for this product to be released like this under the claim that the SD noise was fixed, given that it is clearly not fixed for the vast majority of console models. All other issues in audio and video were indeed fixed, but not this one.

-But fernan1234, maybe you’re just really unlucky and all of your non-SGX consoles are crap?
I highly doubt it. The PCE maybe, probably, and it is unfortunate that it happened to be the one I sent to FBX and that informed his assessment, and he may have jumped the gun. But the Cores 1 and 2 I have here were each acquired from different sources, and they both appear to be in fully adequate condition.

-But Mobius posted earlier that he tested all of these models too with earlier revisions and external fixes and, though not an audio expert, he surely must have noted this SD card buzz?
Maybe. Like FBX suggested, either the external fix did get rid of SD noise for all models and rev. B doesn’t, or the SD noise slipped by in testing and most people willing and able to spend extra money on them were using an SGX (or maybe TG16), or simply noted all the other improvements and failed to notice or accepted the remaining SD noise. More testing is needed to settle this question, but the latter is what I’m inclined to believe.

-But maybe those consoles just need another PSU, recap, voltage regulator, etc.?
Highly doubt it. Covered this on my previous testing report.

Please note: I’m not really blaming anyone other than TO here. What I just did in a total of an hour across two days is what TO should have done when they received the audio fix samples, and all they had to do was get back to FBX and say “hey my guy, thanks for all you’ve done but would you mind testing on something other than your SGX, because on our other consoles here we still get a lot of SD buzz.” That was all that was needed for us to not be where we are now.

Alright, I think that’s all I have on this. Both happy that I found a (very expensive) solution to this, and frustrated that it takes this much and that so many users will still have to deal with imperfect audio for CD games (the whole point of the SSDS3 really, we already had an Everdrive for HuCard). Won’t buy a TG16 to test. If anyone has a beat up TG16 stashed in their closet and is willing to send it to me for testing let me know, I’ll pay for shipping both ways. I hope this is of service to SSDS3 users and PCE fans.

tldr: see top
FBX

Post by FBX »

fernan1234 wrote:
Please note: I’m not really blaming anyone other than TO here. What I just did in a total of an hour across two days is what TO should have done when they received the audio fix samples, and all they had to do was get back to FBX and say “hey my guy, thanks for all you’ve done but would you mind testing on something other than your SGX, because on our other consoles here we still get a lot of SD buzz.” That was all that was needed for us to not be where we are now.
And I wouldn't have been able to fix it because the problem is NOT the audio circuit. However, I will grant you that had I been informed of the problem on other consoles, I would have passed it back to TO to work on as it's beyond my scope.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

FBX wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:
And I wouldn't have been able to fix it because the problem is NOT the audio circuit. However, I will grant you that had I been informed of the problem on other consoles, I would have passed it back to TO to work on as it's beyond my scope.
100% not your fault. It is terraonion's.
-the Goat
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

I really don't think you can take two samples and say that they are representative of the entirety of the product line. I get that they appear to be in good shape and the circuit is the same across all the units, but there are so many variables. I realize that overall people (on this forum, at least) have reported issues with both models of CoreGrafx and the white PCE, but we've also seen that other people with the same models are not having the same issues. Therefore, the only logical conclusion is that there is some variability within revisions and we can't simply say these two represent all of the thousands of consoles that exist.

Static:
-PCB layout and general arrangement of parts across individual revisions. To my knowledge, every PCE is the same as every other PCE, etc.
-Age of stock components, give or take a few months.

Variables:
-Wear and tear on components - was it used a lot or a little? Stored properly or found in a dumpster?
-Actual values of various caps and resistors, not just due to age but also due to manufacturing tolerances.
-Manufacturer of various components, which may have changed within a revision.

With the variables in mind, that's where I'm keen to see what happens after a recap with newer, higher quality caps. I am still interested to see the results with the TG16, but TBH I don't have high hopes. In terms of visual noise, at least, I find it to be just as bad as the PCE. Honestly, the CoreGrafx I have now hasn't been that much better and it's got a completely different mod in it than the TG16. They are just noisy consoles. With the SuperGrafx being one of the last revisions, maybe they just figured it out by then, who knows.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

the Goat wrote: 100% not your fault. It is terraonion's.
That's exactly what I meant. And the circuit is a thing of beauty on the SGX. Aside from the CD game issue, it is also fantastic in every other aspect on the other consoles too.
thebigcheese wrote: I really don't think you can take two samples and say that they are representative of the entirety of the product line. I get that they appear to be in good shape and the circuit is the same across all the units, but there are so many variables.
I'll take them as a random sample just as you may grab two pieces out of a production line for QA. And this is the situation that most users will find themselves in, buying a console that they have no way of assessing its history of wear and overall condition in advance. It's the most relevant situation.

I still would bet these are representative. If anyone has what they consider to be perfect consoles that produce no SD card buzz, I'll pay shipping both ways if you send it to me, will test and ship back the same day and come back to confirm that this is indeed a console-dependent problem. Until then I feel really confident it's something TO should have addressed with the vast number of owners of non-SGX consoles in mind.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

How would the address it if it is console dependent, though? We've already determined that having a separate power supply doesn't fix it, and since the exact same SSDS3 can have more or less noise depending on the console it's attached to, how can one fix that on the SSDS3?
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

thebigcheese wrote:We've already determined that having a separate power supply doesn't fix it
How was that determined? The PCB would need to be redesigned with the analog and digital power domains separated.
-the Goat
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

thebigcheese wrote:How would the address it if it is console dependent, though? We've already determined that having a separate power supply doesn't fix it, and since the exact same SSDS3 can have more or less noise depending on the console it's attached to, how can one fix that on the SSDS3?
I'd argue that the SSDS3 does NOT produce more or less SD card access noise depending on the console, but instead the same across PCEs, Cores and Core IIs, regardless of other factors. I'm waiting for this to be disproven as it would bring me peace of mind and would let me do whatever is needed to these consoles to avoid this particular type of noise rather than keep an expensive SGX. But I'm not counting on that being the case.

What could they do to address this issue that will affect the vast majority of users? That's their electrical engineer's job to figure out. And following up on what the Goat just posted, I also don't think power supply and management options have been exhausted.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

the Goat wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:We've already determined that having a separate power supply doesn't fix it
How was that determined? The PCB would need to be redesigned with the analog and digital power domains separated.
Scroll up. Syntax mentioned it earlier on this page. I never said separate analog and digital power, just a separate power supply from the console. I don't know what exactly they tried, but it has been tried.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

fernan1234 wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:How would the address it if it is console dependent, though? We've already determined that having a separate power supply doesn't fix it, and since the exact same SSDS3 can have more or less noise depending on the console it's attached to, how can one fix that on the SSDS3?
I'd argue that the SSDS3 does NOT produce more or less SD card access noise depending on the console, but instead the same across PCEs, Cores and Core IIs, regardless of other factors. I'm waiting for this to be disproven as it would bring me peace of mind and would let me do whatever is needed to these consoles to avoid this particular type of noise rather than keep an expensive SGX. But I'm not counting on that being the case.

What could they do to address this issue that will affect the vast majority of users? That's their electrical engineer's job to figure out. And following up on what the Goat just posted, I also don't think power supply and management options have been exhausted.
Perhaps, but there's also a slight about of SD access noise with the Everdrive, too, and I don't see people complaining about that.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

thebigcheese wrote: Perhaps, but there's also a slight about of SD access noise with the Everdrive, too, and I don't see people complaining about that.
Never noticed noise from the ED on the same setup so it's probably lower or less annoying at least. More importantly, we can guess that maybe it helps that it's not almost all the time, unlike the SSDS3 with CD games on non-SGX consoles. Remember that since PCE CD games use redbook audio, the SD card is being accessed constantly for those.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

Wow. I was extremely critical of Terra Onion through the entire process and I openly refused to buy one until they apologize to the people who were just trying to help (still waiting on an apology to RetroRGB/Bob). They never should have said that they wouldn’t revise it, but I thought we all agreed that they still should. Now that they have, it’s almost like we’re hell-bent on making them regret it by demanding refunds or discounts. That’s counter-productive.

I see the same mentality for SD2SNES vs. SD2SNES Pro. Would these people rather let the main part get discontinued without Krikzz and Ikari updating it to use a new part? ...or would you rather they use the new part but deliberately not do anything to take advantage of the new capabilities? That’s shamefully unreasonable and ungrateful.

No one got angry at Krikzz and Ikari when they fixed SD2SNES MSU-1 audio and the capacitor/inductor to fix noise issues on 1chip consoles. Even though I had SD2SNES Rev. H I went out of my way to get a Rev. E1b and did the fixes for Rev. E>F and Rev. F>H modifications for my nephew. I was super appreciative that they not only shared details on how to fix it but also fixed it for future devices. They had a similar promise of not adding anything in future revisions that would discourage you from buying the current revision.

If anything, the SSDSys3 issues were more like the Rev E, F, G (ugh!), and H of SD2SNES ...and yet the community response is starkly different. Even the people with the nerve to complain about SD2SNES Pro didn’t seem this entitled/upset.

I have NO love for Terra Onion and yet I think demanding compensation, exchanges, refunds, etc is going way too far and only makes them regret doing the right thing (backpedaling on earlier statements and agreeing to revise the unit with community input). Don’t validate their earlier stubbornness.

I was extremely excited for the SSDSys3 (as my NintendoAge thread from 2017 shows) but I hesitated when they couldn’t answer the obvious question about what Genesis cables to buy. After witnessing the launch fiasco I resolved not to buy one until they change course and apologize. They’re only halfway there (and regretting even that), so I finally ordered an UpperGrafx UGX-02 on Saturday (alternative to SSDSys3 but with digital video).

Again: No love for TO, but that doesn’t mean I expect unreasonable things from them and make them regret any concessions they make. I see Rev B as an admission that they were wrong and not an opportunity to dogpile on them for stubbornly saying they’d never revise it.
darknezz19

Post by darknezz19 »

Just ignore the drama and try to focus on solutions. Who cares if they aren't doing refunds or any of that stuff. They did the best they could but there is room for improvement all we can do is try to come up with a solution. All this Whining is counter productive.