Super SD System 3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Gara

Re: Super SD System 3

Post by Gara »

daty2k1 wrote:OK thank you. It's a real shame to have to do this with a 200€+ device... I think I'll just stick to burning CDs.
It's still pretty cool to just plop the SSDS3 onto an unmodded system and get RGB without fuss.

These days I am mostly doing my PC Engine stuff on the MiSTer. Being able to toggle the raw RGB and Original colors is pretty awesome. I'm sort of used to the look of raw RGB at this point, but it's still a lot of fun to see how the system should look.
nullity

Post by nullity »

StrzxgvNuvWvfld wrote:I thought I should post a small update on my situation in case it helps anyone in the future.

I decided to buy an unmodded CoreGrafx in the hope that it would solve my noise issues only to find the noise was *exactly* the same as on my RGB modded machine :roll:
I had been considering building a cable which takes the audio from the SSDS3 and the video from my RGB modded din, however, as the RGB cable was the only thing I hadn't switched, I bought a £10 Amazon cable, just to see what the results would be.

It turns out that using this cable the noise is almost gone!
I'm sure some people will disagree and would maybe find fault in the picture I'm getting, but my tip to anyone having noise problems is to first of all try a lower quality video cable!

I wish I'd tried that before getting another console!
Duuuuude... Dude! Thanks so much for sharing. I, too, have RGC component cables and you're the only other person I've seen who had the issue of diagonal bars and noise on solid colors.

I was about to splurge on a supergrafx but ordered a cheap composite cable yesterday just to be sure. After reading your story I'm confident that it will fix the issue for me.

I'll report back next week with results and share observations about audio quality, too (TG16).
nullity

Post by nullity »

So, I can say with certainty that the issue in my case was 100% the RGC Component cables.
  • 1. I picked up a no-name Genesis 2 composite cable and the image looked much better. Not as crisp but no lines or shimmering pixels.
  • 2. Bought a new Triad power supply as some had suggested the OG TG16 was delivering insufficient power. This made no difference with either the RGC Component or the no-name Gen2 composite.
  • 3. HD Retrovision cables are back in stock at Castlemania, so I bought their Gen2 Component cables. Problem solved! See below...
RGC Component:

HD Retrovision Component:

I actually bought a Genesis 2 (VA4) for kicks since I now have a spare component cable for it that doesn't like the SSDS3. Surprisingly, it works just fine on the Genny. I don't understand why, but seeing as how StrzxgvNuvWvfld and I had the same experience with the RGC cables, I would question RGC's claim that their cables are compatible with SSDS3.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Were the early analog video and most importantly analog audio issues on the Super HD System 3 Pro resolved through updates or are they still working on them? Since I didn't buy a unit yet I can't login to see what the update status is.

I'm always so tempted to buy one but the issues what I've seen in Youtube videos for CRT use didn't bode that well, but that was over a year ago so here's hoping progress has been made.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Which issues are you referring to specifically? I recall there were some issues with low audio volume early on, there were one or two updates which resulted in the volume slider being removed altogether and a significantly higher volume - although still a little bit lower than would be ideal. The CD audio is apparently very accurate to the original hardware though. I use a well shielded cable so I don't get any buzz or anything when I turn up the volume, so having it run a little quiet isn't much of an issue for me.

I wouldn't count on any updates coming out in the future.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Kez wrote:Which issues are you referring to specifically? I recall there were some issues with low audio volume early on, there were one or two updates which resulted in the volume slider being removed altogether and a significantly higher volume - although still a little bit lower than would be ideal. The CD audio is apparently very accurate to the original hardware though. I use a well shielded cable so I don't get any buzz or anything when I turn up the volume, so having it run a little quiet isn't much of an issue for me.

I wouldn't count on any updates coming out in the future.
Mostly the audio issues brought up in this video among others:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7lvNs7Xkbk

Maybe they fixed that early on and I missed it?
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

I'm strongly considering buying one but I have two questions for those familiar with the the Super HD System 3:

1. Does any Sega Genesis 2/CDX scart cable work? From what I read on the last few pages there seems to be a strong correlation to picture quality (especially displayed noise) and cables used. Is there anything in particular that needs to be modified to bring out the best out of the SHDS3? Has anyone tried Retro Access' Genesis 2 cable?

2. For use on a consumer CRT a simple Coregrafx would be enough to get the best out of the system (assuming I get lucky with cables that display as little to no noise as possible)?

Or is the Coregrafx II preferable?

I've read comments that the Supergrafx gives the best video out but it also appeared that these users were on LCD's where I assume the slightest noise is going to be as visible as can be, and I'm really not a fan of the ergonomics or dimensions of that system, just hogs up so much space on any given shelf.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

NoAffinity wrote:Core grafx II here. No internal mods. Noise in grays on the ssds3 menu screen, and noticeable in games. Fu-rgb mod and stereo bypass amp. Expensive shielded coax scart cable, original tg-16 power supply. It's just what it is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Finally spent some time on my new SHD3S and this is exactly my experience except I have a coregrafx 1.

Running it to my CRT with a retro access Genesis 2 cable and a replacement triad power supply. Greys look like they’re dancing. It’s not ideal but could be worse I guess.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Ok actually I fully resolved my SHDS3 issue which was that I was using a palette. Once I went back to the default no more noise and the RGB picture is outstanding on my CRT. Love this device. Only issue I have is that the ingame reset seems to work only every other game. I almost feel might be better to just leave it off at this point.

Also one game I had an issue with is Popful Mail. I ended up taking it off the Micro SD. Real shame cause I love that game, but it doesn't play nice giving occasional visual artifacts. Also each time I start it up my tv behaves as if it had switched channel and back to Video 3 which is weird.

Overall really happy with this. Looks great and sounds great. Plays almost all the PCE games I love.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Last update to say that I got the composite color palette to work. Not sure which look I prefer as the composite colors look quite a bit desaturated but in some areas looks better.

Two questions for those with experience with the device:

1. Alternate CD enabled or disabled?

2. How much difference does Seek time emulation make and is it best to enable it?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Taiyaki wrote:Last update to say that I got the composite color palette to work. Not sure which look I prefer as the composite colors look quite a bit desaturated but in some areas looks better.
How did you resolve this issue? I was wondering if a prior RGB mod was somehow conflicting with this device. Either way, the argument for the composite palette is that it should match the "intended" colors that game designers had in mind or saw in their consumer test CRTs back in the day. It has been proven to make a positive difference and I'd always go for it, though there are people who used the raw colors in RGB mods for years, which can make you feel like the original ones are "desaturated" (I'd say the raw ones are oversaturated and garish :P)
Taiyaki wrote:2. How much difference does Seek time emulation make and is it best to enable it?
I'd turn that on, it may help with compatibility and probably not slow down loading by much (will still be faster than a good working real CD unit anyway).
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

fernan1234 wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:Last update to say that I got the composite color palette to work. Not sure which look I prefer as the composite colors look quite a bit desaturated but in some areas looks better.
How did you resolve this issue? I was wondering if a prior RGB mod was somehow conflicting with this device. Either way, the argument for the composite palette is that it should match the "intended" colors that game designers had in mind or saw in their consumer test CRTs back in the day. It has been proven to make a positive difference and I'd always go for it, though there are people who used the raw colors in RGB mods for years, which can make you feel like the original ones are "desaturated" (I'd say the raw ones are oversaturated and garish :P)
Taiyaki wrote:2. How much difference does Seek time emulation make and is it best to enable it?
I'd turn that on, it may help with compatibility and probably not slow down loading by much (will still be faster than a good working real CD unit anyway).
Thank you, will do.

The issue I had was due to my using the wrong palette file. I originally found in a different forum and just changed the extension to .pal but I suspect it was either an unfinished or intended for a mister. Although it accepted it it seems to have introduced noise into the video and didn't really change the colors as intended. I found the proper file from the github and used that one and it worked just fine with no noise and no issues. :)

I agree the original RGB colors are garish by any standard. It's just a bit jarring when doing comparisons especially since I think I've mostly played the PC Engine in RGB and therefor have always been used to the wrong colors.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Taiyaki wrote:1. Alternate CD enabled or disabled?
I believe the alternate CD core ended up being completely superior - it should be on by default I think. I would leave it on and experiment with turning it off if you have issues.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Kez wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:1. Alternate CD enabled or disabled?
I believe the alternate CD core ended up being completely superior - it should be on by default I think. I would leave it on and experiment with turning it off if you have issues.
Thank you! Will do that.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Taiyaki wrote:Also one game I had an issue with is Popful Mail.
This is a known issue, there are issues with a few games still unfortunately. RevQuixo put together an unofficial bug tracker here: https://github.com/RevQuixo/SSDS3-SHDS3 ... ker/issues
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Kez wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:Also one game I had an issue with is Popful Mail.
This is a known issue, there are issues with a few games still unfortunately. RevQuixo put together an unofficial bug tracker here: https://github.com/RevQuixo/SSDS3-SHDS3 ... ker/issues
Bummer. Looks like it's been brought to them a while back. I guess the chances of them fixing it aren't high are they?

By the way is it a good idea to just disable the arcade card? In principle I shouldn't be needing it but wondering if it makes a difference to compatibility of games.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Guess I answered my own question after looking up which games benefit from it and finding out a few of the games in my library do use it.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Just wanted to double check but is it normal for the SHDS3's menu colors to get desaturated after selecting the composite palette?
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

I tried playing Batman HuCard (same problem running original card and rom) and I have the Super HD System 3 Pro with a Core GrafX 2 and the audio is very scratchy... Like static in audio randomly appearing. Why is this? Is there any soldering fix I can do inside the Super HD System 3 Pro?
I am using SHDS3PRO firmware 1.01 R6. I bought it: Order: DBOANMBXW Placed on 05/30/2021 07:24:09 . But I have no idea which revision I have.

I replaced it with previous device (Super SD System 3) and with that there is no scratchy audio... So something is wrong with the blue Super HD System 3 Pro.

Using it with a Super GrafX instead and there is no scratchy audio?!