Best Genesis/Megadrive Model Overall?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
FinalBaton

Re: Best Genesis/Megadrive Model Overall?

Post by FinalBaton »

Triple Lei wrote:How much better is the VA3/VA4 over the VA2? I'm talking both in sound quality and RGB picture quality.

I got mine last year and reading up some more I guess I overpaid. Is the VA2 salvageable or is it a clunker? :?
The VA2's RGB picture is just as good as that of the VA3 to VA6 (and as far as I know, all Genesis models have a good RGB picture once taken care of the jailbars issue, but don't quote me on that. It's composite video quality that varies between mobo revisions, but who cares about that.
That one dude's RGB signal comparison does not show much difference between different models once the jailbars are gone. (and he didn't test the different mobo revisions nor did he identify which one he tested. still interesting to check though https://medium.com/rgb-inside/comparing ... d3703270ba )

The VA2's sound is pure awesomeness, it has my fave filtering of the whole range. Only thing is that here and there you will hear a sound that is crunchy sounding, or a crackle(because the gain on the pre-amp is too hot). You can however mod the console to fix that, or you can pipe the console's sound throuh a mixer(or an Extron matrix)or anything that let's you adjust the input gain(aka the sensitivity of the incoming audio) and lower that a bit, which will almost 100% get rid of the problem, to the point where it becomes a non-issue. Go listen to my Genesis OST sound captures on my Youtube channel, they're all done on a stock VA2 with the latter method applied. https://youtu.be/Zi_zzjCxUps?t=2m32s

Be happy that you have a VA2! it's a great fucking machine :mrgreen: and my personal fave revision ever
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FBX

Post by FBX »

It's just easier to replace the filtering caps on the VA3 for example, making it sound exactly the same as the VA2, only with the benefit of the better pre-amp gain.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Oh I know, but I was just reassuring Triple Lei, who has a VA2 in his possession as we speak.

He's got a great revision, he doesn't need to go out and buy a 2nd Genesis, is what I'm saying.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

Lawfer wrote: Overpaid? Why, how much did you pay?
I paid $80 shipped, but it came with two controllers (not red button), an official Sega power adapter, an RF adapter, and Sonic the Hedgehog. The guy knew what he had though, putting "non-TMSS" right in the description and showing the motherboard. Lousy knowledgeable sellers...

Well, I guess it saved me the trouble of buying several Genesis consoles and trying my luck.

Lawfer wrote: You'll have to get some modding done, at least for the picture.
See, I thought Genesis RGB was famously "no mods necessary." It's not one of those mods where I lose composite, is it? Wouldn't want to lose Sonic's rainbow waterfall...

FinalBaton wrote: The VA2's sound is pure awesomeness, it has my fave filtering of the whole range. Only thing is that here and there you will hear a sound that is crunchy sounding, or a crackle(because the gain on the pre-amp is too hot). You can however mod the console to fix that, or you can pipe the console's sound throuh a mixer(or an Extron matrix)or anything that let's you adjust the input gain(aka the sensitivity of the incoming audio) and lower that a bit, which will almost 100% get rid of the problem, to the point where it becomes a non-issue. Go listen to my Genesis OST sound captures on my Youtube channel, they're all done on a stock VA2 with the latter method applied. https://youtu.be/Zi_zzjCxUps?t=2m32s

Be happy that you have a VA2! it's a great fucking machine :mrgreen: and my personal fave revision ever
Thanks for the tip on the mixer! You think this Behringer XENYX 502 will do the trick? I was actually planning on getting one just to play around with, but if it gets rid of the VA2's biggest weakness, I'll be getting it that much sooner.

So thanks... you really did make me appreciate my VA2 a lot more! :mrgreen:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Triple Lei wrote: Thanks for the tip on the mixer! You think this Behringer XENYX 502 will do the trick? I was actually planning on getting one just to play around with, but if it gets rid of the VA2's biggest weakness, I'll be getting it that much sooner.

So thanks... you really did make me appreciate my VA2 a lot more! :mrgreen:
Any decent mixer should do. That one seems to have good reviews so I think it'll be fine.

And no problem :mrgreen:
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Triple Lei wrote:I paid $80 shipped, but it came with two controllers (not red button), an official Sega power adapter, an RF adapter, and Sonic the Hedgehog. The guy knew what he had though, putting "non-TMSS" right in the description and showing the motherboard. Lousy knowledgeable sellers...

Well, I guess it saved me the trouble of buying several Genesis consoles and trying my luck.
$80 for all that is good! This is not overpaying at all.

Triple Lei wrote:See, I thought Genesis RGB was famously "no mods necessary." It's not one of those mods where I lose composite, is it? Wouldn't want to lose Sonic's rainbow waterfall...
From what I understand, early revisions such as the VA2 has some design flaws and that impacts both the picture and sound, anyways all Genesis/Megadrive revisions need some form of modding to get the best picture + best sound.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

the VA2, like pretty much all Genesis and Megadrive revisions it seems like, can exhibit jailbars on blue colors. That requires lifting pin 50 of the VDP chip, or cutting a bit of trace right after it. This will disable composite video, but you can install a toggle switch that will make contact OR disable the connection of the trace right after pin 50. That way you can enable composite video, or disable it for when you want to have jailbars-free RGB.

Otherwise it has a good RGB picture.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FBX

Post by FBX »

FinalBaton wrote:the VA2, like pretty much all Genesis and Megadrive revisions it seems like, can exhibit jailbars on blue colors. That requires lifting pin 50 of the VDP chip, or cutting a bit of trace right after it. This will disable composite video, but you can install a toggle switch that will make contact OR disable the connection of the trace right after pin 50. That way you can enable composite video, or disable it for when you want to have jailbars-free RGB.
That's what I did for my VA2, while on my VA3 I just stripped the trace clean off the board. The ideal mod would be to 'remake' the trace on a separate bypass board that then routes shielded wire back into the CXA chip. That way, the RGB is left unmolested, and this in turn also improves the composite picture quality as well.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

FBX wrote:That's what I did for my VA2, while on my VA3 I just stripped the trace clean off the board. The ideal mod would be to 'remake' the trace on a separate bypass board that then routes shielded wire back into the CXA chip. That way, the RGB is left unmolested, and this in turn also improves the composite picture quality as well.
Yep! I was thinking of your mod when I mentionned the toggle switch
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

I remember back then when i was researching which Genesis to buy I ran across the retro rgb article that stated that the High Definition model 1 were the best. I forgot how much I spent on it but I know it was more than $100 for a Genesis and sega cd model 1. I was afraid I might have to go hunting for a va 3 or 4 but the fix doesn't seem to be all that bad. Really i'm quite happy with the genesis i have it has very clear sound except for when the gain gets used heavily like when theres tons of explosions. Seems like with a little bit of modding I can take care of that high gain problem and clean up that rgb signal a bit more. Might actually try it when i finally get me a soldering kit.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

So does the JVC X'Eye really have the sharpest RGB output and cleanest audio? I've also heard that CDs load faster on the JVC X'Eye than any other Sega CD model.

https://medium.com/rgb-inside/comparing ... 3d3703270b

Also, I've noticed that all JVC X'Eyes have a BIOS firmware of Ver 2.00 for the CD side, while some Sega CD Model 2 can have a BIOS firmware of Ver 2.21. What's the difference with the extra .21?
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

GeneraLight wrote:So does the JVC X'Eye really have the sharpest RGB output and cleanest audio? I've also heard that CDs load faster on the JVC X'Eye than any other Sega CD model.
The RGB is certainly excellent, although I did have jailbars showing up on one TV until I cut pin 6 of the CXA1145 video encoder. When it comes to the sound, it's very clean and balanced, but there is much more subjectivity about whether it's really best. Model 1 systems tend to have more kick in the lower frequencies, which might sound richer to some and lopsided to others. I personally prefer the X'Eye.

The CD drive doesn't read faster, but IIRC, it seeks faster. I think the owner's manual for normal Sega CDs says the average seek-time is 1 second while the X'Eye's is 0.8.
Also, I've noticed that all JVC X'Eyes have a BIOS firmware of Ver 2.00 for the CD side, while some Sega CD Model 2 can have a BIOS firmware of Ver 2.21. What's the difference with the extra .21?
AFAIK, nothing. Not on the user end, anyway.
Larrs888

Post by Larrs888 »

I have a Japanese VA6 board, good sound but horrendous jailbars on almost all colours!!! :( The picture would be superb otherwise. I take a Nap VA6 is different from a US genesis VA6, do you think if I took a photo of my motherboard and posted it here someone could advise on the trace to cut to help with my jailbars please?
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

I hate all of you jerks in this thread cause I couldn't remember what my non-TMSS model was so I had to go open it.

It's a VA3. So yay.

Also no visible jailbars on analog screens. I don't know that any of my Genesis have them but my Master System has them badly.
Last edited by Einzelherz on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I have an x eye. It has a distinct bios from the sega systems. it has its own display thats only on the x eye, and it has the music from the Mega Cd.

Great system its been. ive had it since around 2000 or so. although recently its having trouble reading Cds.