Question about a ebay 'broken' PCB

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
D

Question about a ebay 'broken' PCB

Post by D »

http://cgi.ebay.de/MARVEL-Vs-CAPCOM-A-B ... dZViewItem

The problem that the seller describes.
Could it be just a power problem, like the power supply on 4.8 volts or something and the pcb just needs more juice?
AntiPasta

Post by AntiPasta »

Hee, waarom de Duitse ebay gebruiken :lol:

Anyhow, it sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Remember how NES games often look screwed up when the cart isn't inserted right?

NES games aside, today I plugged my ST-V with Astra Superstars into my Supergun and I was abhorred to discover some garbled graphics :S
But fortunately they went away after a re-insert!
...and suddenly, a very freaky wormhole opened, and 4 3-foot tall market analysts fell out...
D

Post by D »

AntiPasta wrote:Hee, waarom de Duitse ebay gebruiken
Translated: why do you use the german ebay?

Well, all other ebay sites are blocked at my work. Only the German and the Swiss ebays work!!! Go figure.

My guess is that it could be alot of things.
My knowledge of pcb's is still limited, but learning fast and I wonder if any shmembers ever dares to buy a 'broken' pcb in the hope of fixing it.

Damn that would give me satisfaction and a rush. It would be exciting. One of these days I might just persue such an undertaking
kemical

Post by kemical »

D wrote: I wonder if any shmembers ever dares to buy a 'broken' pcb in the hope of fixing it.

Damn that would give me satisfaction and a rush. It would be exciting. One of these days I might just persue such an undertaking
i usually get broken boards off ebay in hopes of fixing them, well only if they are pretty cheap, its how i got raiden fighters for $20.

as for the mvsc auction, its maybe a type of situation where as the system and pcb warm up from being left on, it somehow effects a physical connection somewhere (warming/expanding of materials etc).. but then again maybe not.
D

Post by D »

kemical wrote:
D wrote: I wonder if any shmembers ever dares to buy a 'broken' pcb in the hope of fixing it.

i usually get broken boards off ebay in hopes of fixing them, well only if they are pretty cheap, its how i got raiden fighters for $20.

as for the mvsc auction, its maybe a type of situation where as the system and pcb warm up from being left on, it somehow effects a physical connection somewhere (warming/expanding of materials etc).. but then again maybe not.
Cool.

I don't think I speak for myself when I ask you your successtories and how you about fixing them, what you look for and some stories.
I might just be asking for too much. But I personally absolutly love to to hear about people fixing pcb's and successtories.

So with the Raiden Fighters, 20 bucks DAAAAAMN.
What was(n't) wrong with it then?
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Mind if I ask how you're going about learning how to fix PCBs? I know a few things such as how to unseat ROMs and reseat them, but I just can't do it in practice. I've been having a Cadash that died on my that I'd love to fix, and it would be nice to learn more as my CP2 collection dies off in the hopes of modding them.
kemical

Post by kemical »

forgot to reply back :oops:
I really wish I had a better understanding of how to test and fix electronics.. I've only really been going about it in a visual/physical way, not sure how to test digital or logic IC's.

The raiden fighters just was listed as not powering up, or something like that, and since it's cartridge based I was hoping maybe the cart would still work, it did. The motherboard looks physically damaged, like some liquid spilled all over it and made lots of the connections short out or burn.

I just fixed my aero city's arcade monitor last night, I got help to fix it, but the only problem causing it not to turn on was just 1 little capacitor I needed to replace... makes me wonder how simple the fixes on the dead boards I have are :?