Official rgb-pi thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
karmeck

Official rgb-pi thread

Post by karmeck »

I have been asked to crate an official thread for this device so here it is.
I understand that most of those here are about the real hardware. But the TV used here will be a crt and the knowledge found here is very useful. The mission with rgb-pi is to recreate the native visual experience after all.
I'm not the creator of this product but the creator will participate if any discussion would be had here. Ask away.

I have myself of cause used and are using this device. Connected to a bang&Olofsen mx 7000 the image was beautiful. The included screen utility is grate then access to the service menu is missing. And the suport from the developer is grate fast answer and he dose not give up on you.

HI-FI EMULATION

GPIO to SCART cable

The simplicity of a cable ready to connect your RaspberryPi to a CRT TV and enjoy Recalbox in RGB and PixelPerfect resolutions with stereo sound.

Hardware specifications

Native RGB666 video mode with 18Bits of color without conversions is generated on the PCB within the scart providing the highest possible signal quality and the lowest loss, two filtered audio channels, 25 centimeter long cable, posibility to use a large number of casses for RaspberryPi, compatible with models B+, 2, 3 & Zero.

The PCB inside does the magic

Custom operating system

We have worked on a modified version of Recalbox for CRT TVs with the philosophy of respecting the native resolutions of each game getting no visual difference between the emulation and the original.

The system is Plug&Play and no need configuration, below you can see the instructions.

Our own improvements over Recalbox

We have made our own 50/60Hz selector before each game, and application to center the image or rotate the whole system 90º and we have the first OS capable of changing the resolutions on the fly.

A lot of supported systems with PixelPerfect

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Plug the cable to the outside like this

Download the OS and extract the .img file
Burn the image file on 8GB SD or bigger
Remove the USB safely from the PC to avoid errors
Put the SD on the Pi, power on and select AV channel
Enter on ScreenUtility to adjust the image to your TV

OS download (os only, no roms, well there is some homebrew)
http://www.mortaca.com/rgb-pi/downloads ... Pi3.img.7z

Edit: Ops, I will resize the images.
Fudoh

Re: Official rgb-pi thread

Post by Fudoh »

It's really nice. I've ordered one early on already (still a grey cable back then).

I also have Mike Chi's board and they both serve their purpose, but what I really like the RGB-Pi cable is that is has integrated audio from the GPIO pins. Saves an extra cable and is so much easier to integrate when using a scart switch.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

How much are they and how do you actually buy one?

I was looking at Mike Chi's board but this looks a lot easier and neater since you can still have a case on.
karmeck

Post by karmeck »

DoomsDave wrote:How much are they and how do you actually buy one?

I was looking at Mike Chi's board but this looks a lot easier and neater since you can still have a case on.
The price is 30€ + shipping (2€ for me in Sweden)
Ask for availability by sending a mail to: info@rgb-pi.com

And it is just plug and play.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Just a little heads-up about "pixel perfect" resolution.

Like most other devices, RGB-Pi uses an ultra-wide horizontal resolution (1600px I believe?) and changes just the vertical res and refresh (not sure on this one) to adapt to the one native in the game.

This was first introduced in GroovyMAME and known as "super resolution". The idea is that if you use a horizontal resolution high enough, then the scaling becomes enough granular that you won't notice the difference, but still, it is a stretch calling that "pixel perfect".

The (huge) advantage of using super resolutions is that you don't have to adjust your monitor everytime you change game due to different horizontal sizes (think CPS1/2 has 384px whereas most others have 320px).

You can see the entire development of the "pixel perfect" thing on the Raspberry Pi here: https://forum.recalbox.com/topic/3475/r ... crt-en-rgb

it's a huge thread and most of it in french, you've been warned.

Of course, if there has been development on this front, I'd love to hear from the developer of RGB-Pi, in particular:

1 - Do you switch the vertical refresh on the fly to match the one of the game played? (I genuinely don't remember this)
2 - Has the RGB-Pi become real pixel perfect, with matching horizontal resolution and frequency?
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

I'm just stopping in to suggest the name RaGBerry Pi.

As you were.
karmeck

Post by karmeck »

donluca wrote:
Of course, if there has been development on this front, I'd love to hear from the developer of RGB-Pi, in particular:

1 - Do you switch the vertical refresh on the fly to match the one of the game played? (I genuinely don't remember this)
2 - Has the RGB-Pi become real pixel perfect, with matching horizontal resolution and frequency?
I can partly answer that with a response I got to a suport question:

Code: Select all

I think is the TV and problem with 1920 resolutions.

Emulationstation in RGB-Pi mod use 450x270 and the games run under 1920x240 or 1920x288 etc...

This is the only explaination, some TVs under 1920 resolution have this issue with the red.

Is possible change 1920 for lowest resolution to reach the solution, give me more time to investigate.

This is in relation to my newly bought TV which I also have a thread about here.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

Einzelherz wrote:I'm just stopping in to suggest the name RaGBerry Pi.

As you were.
For some reason your comment made me LOL...well done..
The Future Is Now
karmeck

Post by karmeck »

donluca wrote:Just a little heads-up about "pixel perfect" resolution.

Like most other devices, RGB-Pi uses an ultra-wide horizontal resolution (1600px I believe?) and changes just the vertical res and refresh (not sure on this one) to adapt to the one native in the game.

This was first introduced in GroovyMAME and known as "super resolution". The idea is that if you use a horizontal resolution high enough, then the scaling becomes enough granular that you won't notice the difference, but still, it is a stretch calling that "pixel perfect".

The (huge) advantage of using super resolutions is that you don't have to adjust your monitor everytime you change game due to different horizontal sizes (think CPS1/2 has 384px whereas most others have 320px).

You can see the entire development of the "pixel perfect" thing on the Raspberry Pi here: https://forum.recalbox.com/topic/3475/r ... crt-en-rgb

it's a huge thread and most of it in french, you've been warned.

Here is the origin of rgb-pi:

https://forum.recalbox.com/topic/3475/r ... en-rgb/319

Name of the creator there is aTg
donluca

Post by donluca »

FYI, it's the same thread I linked.
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

I wonder how this will work in conjunction with a OSSC
Working in the japanese language achievement
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

jandrogo wrote:I wonder how this will work in conjunction with a OSSC
Serious noob question, how much of a benefit would you get over running the pi at 720p through HDMI?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Serious noob question, how much of a benefit would you get over running the pi at 720p through HDMI?
the only advantage I can think of that you can allocate a little more CPU power into the actual emulation, since you don't have to use CPU intensive shaders. Except for that it's pretty useless to use an external upscaler with a Pi.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Nice have just ordered one
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

Fudoh wrote:It's really nice. I've ordered one early on already (still a grey cable back then).

I also have Mike Chi's board and they both serve their purpose, but what I really like the RGB-Pi cable is that is has integrated audio from the GPIO pins. Saves an extra cable and is so much easier to integrate when using a scart switch.
Is the sound quality okay through the GPIO? The 3.5mm jack is pretty bad and it also uses the GPIO. FWIW, I think pi2scart might be a good option for SCART users since you can patch in a USB audio dongle, even though it’s a bit uglier.
karmeck

Post by karmeck »

mikechi2 wrote:
Fudoh wrote:It's really nice. I've ordered one early on already (still a grey cable back then).

Is the sound quality okay through the GPIO? The 3.5mm jack is pretty bad and it also uses the GPIO. FWIW, I think pi2scart might be a good option for SCART users since you can patch in a USB audio dongle, even though it’s a bit uglier.
Sound is fine.
mdd45

Post by mdd45 »

For the best sound quality disable the wifi connection and use Ethernet if needed.

The best thing about rgb-pi is the rgb-OS. it's the closest thing to groovymame but on rpi.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Is there a video or a breakdown of the benefits of the OS? This looks really good and seems easier and neater than Mike Chi's board but I really prefer having either component or RGB RCA out because of how my monitors are setup. Really torn on what to get. I don't have a pi yet and am running groovymame but have 3 monitors and would like a nice, easy to move option.
karmeck

Post by karmeck »

DoomsDave wrote:Is there a video or a breakdown of the benefits of the OS? This looks really good and seems easier and neater than Mike Chi's board but I really prefer having either component or RGB RCA out because of how my monitors are setup. Really torn on what to get. I don't have a pi yet and am running groovymame but have 3 monitors and would like a nice, easy to move option.
For me personally it's the built in screen editor. If you don't have access to a service menu you can fix your image here. The fact that it's just plug and play. The very supportive developer. The built in changing of resolution depending on game system emulated. And recallbox is nice.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Yeah that sounds like a pretty big advantage. This seems pretty great, probably just going to pull the trigger on it.
RGB-Pi

Post by RGB-Pi »

Hi people, I like to explain another custom feature very interesting to play shmups games, from the ScreenUtility you can rotate al the system with one simple option and the Pi restart with Emulationstation in tate mode and wallpaper changed, you can rotate to the right or to the left, after only need to rotate your TV.

lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Just testing this cable out now on my Hantarex monitor and have a few questions.

I have notice that on the menu screens that the edges of the image bow in slighlty ( pincushion distortion) but when trying the 'centering test' screen everything is fine?. Obviously if i alter the pincushion dial they this will throw out the pincushion for other screen resolutions correct?

How do i actuall add new systems like MAME?

I shall be using usb stick for my roms what file/folder format do the roms need to be in?, in the root of the USB stick would be just be /MAME, /NES, /Gameboy etc???
karmeck

Post by karmeck »

lettuce wrote:Just testing this cable out now on my Hantarex monitor and have a few questions.

I have notice that on the menu screens that the edges of the image bow in slighlty ( pincushion distortion) but when trying the 'centering test' screen everything is fine?. Obviously if i alter the pincushion dial they this will throw out the pincushion for other screen resolutions correct?

I shall be using usb stick for my roms what file/folder format do the roms need to be in?, in the root of the USB stick would be just be /MAME, /NES, /Gameboy etc???
I think the centering screen use a difrent resolution then the menu screens. I use the 240p test suite and service menu to adjust the screen for each system.

From the faq
To install an external USB memory, to activate this option you have to create the / roms folder in the USB that we want to use and the same folder structure that uses recalbox, then we will go to RGB-Pi Config in the OS menu and we will boot USB Mount.
So on the USB crate a folder "roms" and then inside that folder crate for example a nes folder and then past your nes roms in there.

To add roms i use my android phone and es file explorer. Having the pi and phone on the same network I can by using es file explorers network/Lan option I can browse the files in recalbox box. And in each rom folder is a "read me" file that tells you which file format is used, like if roms can be zipped or not.

More on this can be found by searching on recalbox as that's the system being used. Good videos can be found on YouTube on how to add roms.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

karmeck wrote:
lettuce wrote:Just testing this cable out now on my Hantarex monitor and have a few questions.

I think the centering screen use a difrent resolution then the menu screens. I use the 240p test suite and service menu to adjust the screen for each system.

From the faq
To install an external USB memory, to activate this option you have to create the / roms folder in the USB that we want to use and the same folder structure that uses recalbox, then we will go to RGB-Pi Config in the OS menu and we will boot USB Mount.
So on the USB crate a folder "roms" and then inside that folder crate for example a nes folder and then past your nes roms in there.

To add roms i use my android phone and es file explorer. Having the pi and phone on the same network I can by using es file explorers network/Lan option I can browse the files in recalbox box. And in each rom folder is a "read me" file that tells you which file format is used, like if roms can be zipped or not.

More on this can be found by searching on recalbox as that's the system being used. Good videos can be found on YouTube on how to add roms.
Ok thanks, regarding adjusting the screen do you do that for each system via the Retroarch video menu?
karmeck

Post by karmeck »

lettuce wrote:
Ok thanks, regarding adjusting the screen do you do that for each system via the Retroarch video menu?
You can do that?

No, I uses the built-in screen utility. And service menu of the tv.
lukilla

Post by lukilla »

So you still cannot have a bunch of real arcade resolutions like on pc?. And is this better than vga666?, because Mike Chi made a video comparison against his device and the vga666 falls short displaying gradients, it´s like impossible to get high precision using this much resistors.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

I wonder if an option can be added to alter the size of the menu screen (like you can for the actual games)?

Also is there a way to rename MAME games as they appear as just the rom name and not the game name?
karmeck

Post by karmeck »

lettuce wrote:I wonder if an option can be added to alter the size of the menu screen (like you can for the actual games)?

Also is there a way to rename MAME games as they appear as just the rom name and not the game name?
if you connect your pi to the internet you can use the Scraper and that will get you images and information for every game, and the thing you want , the correct names.

as seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd1i1mJdkjU
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

A great tool but not for me.

The input lag is still an issue that needs to solved on a pi.

As soon as the pi can do video overlays on live video inputs without delay or a shoddy capture program I will be all for it.

Hopefully they can work out the lag kinks
Copyright 1987
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Hoagtech wrote:A great tool but not for me.

The input lag is still an issue that needs to solved on a pi.

As soon as the pi can do video overlays on live video inputs without delay or a shoddy capture program I will be all for it.

Hopefully they can work out the lag kinks
A large majority of recent Retroarch cores have gotten the lag down to 1-2 frames!