Official rgb-pi thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
lettuce

Re: Official rgb-pi thread

Post by lettuce »

karmeck wrote:
lettuce wrote:I wonder if an option can be added to alter the size of the menu screen (like you can for the actual games)?

Also is there a way to rename MAME games as they appear as just the rom name and not the game name?
if you connect your pi to the internet you can use the Scraper and that will get you images and information for every game, and the thing you want , the correct names.

as seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd1i1mJdkjU
Thanks, any ideas about adding audio clips to the emulators, noticed that most of the systems have music when highlighted but some dont, like MAME?
karmeck

Post by karmeck »

lettuce wrote:
karmeck wrote:
lettuce wrote:I wonder if an option can be added to alter the size of the menu screen (like you can for the actual games)?

Also is there a way to rename MAME games as they appear as just the rom name and not the game name?
if you connect your pi to the internet you can use the Scraper and that will get you images and information for every game, and the thing you want , the correct names.

as seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd1i1mJdkjU
Thanks, any ideas about adding audio clips to the emulators, noticed that most of the systems have music when highlighted but some dont, like MAME?
I don't have access to my pi at the moment but found thees instructions:
https://github.com/recalbox/recalbox-os ... ation-(EN)

While in the music folder I presume a pattern will present it self and adding music to mame will not be hard.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

thanks
naoto

Post by naoto »

Hi
I'm testing RGB-Pi OS with PI2SCART.
I know that RGB-Pi OS should be used with its cable but I'm very curious about this Recalbox "flavour"

I edited config.txt file in the boot partition in the following way:

dtparam=audio=on
gpu_mem_256=128
gpu_mem_512=256
gpu_mem_1024=256
overscan_scale=1
dtoverlay=vga666
enable_dpi_lcd=1
display_default_lcd=1
dpi_group=2
#dpi_mode=8
#dpi_output_format=6
dpi_mode=87
audio_pwm_mode = 2
hdmi_timings= 320 1 10 20 54 240 1 6 8 10 0 0 0 60 0 6400000 1

(values taken from http://www.retrorgb.com/rpi240p.html)

Using this workaround, sound and colours are fine but when I exit from an emulator to come back to emulation station main interface, the image is vertically stretched and "shifted" on the left side of my CRT.
3/4 of the screen are unusable

In this way, it's impossible to use the front end.

Am I the only one to experience this unexpected behaviour?

Thank you in advance !
karmeck

Post by karmeck »

From the FaQ
Yes, it is possible to use it on any system supported by RPI, but attention! You will not have the original resolutions provided by our software for each game, you will see everything through a fixed resolution. If you want to do it anyway you have the instructions here

Here are the instructions
https://github.com/mortaca/RGB-Pi/blob/master/README.md

Sounds like you are exercising the frontend using the resolution used by the emulated game.
noonan2678

Post by noonan2678 »

I also have the older style, grey cable. I still haven't fully messed around with it yet. Any difference with the newer, black cable version?

I also just get an out-of-sync (or more) screen when hooking up to my PVM/BVM. I do have it on a GSCART...could that be the issue? No config of the GSCART options helped.
I'm using the latest OS download, unmodified.

Thanks!
karmeck

Post by karmeck »

I take it you talked to him about this.

I asked about pvm's and he told me there would be issues.
RGB-Pi

Post by RGB-Pi »

Hoagtech wrote:A great tool but not for me.

The input lag is still an issue that needs to solved on a pi.

As soon as the pi can do video overlays on live video inputs without delay or a shoddy capture program I will be all for it.

Hopefully they can work out the lag kinks
The lag is only over HDMI, over GPIO don't have lag, see this experiment.

https://youtube.com/watch?t=14s&v=hBuZoRBObaA
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

RGB-Pi wrote:
Hoagtech wrote:A great tool but not for me.

The input lag is still an issue that needs to solved on a pi.

As soon as the pi can do video overlays on live video inputs without delay or a shoddy capture program I will be all for it.

Hopefully they can work out the lag kinks
The lag is only over HDMI, over GPIO don't have lag, see this experiment.

https://youtube.com/watch?t=14s&v=hBuZoRBObaA
I witnessed lag in his video input led on both.

There was a big difference between his LCD and his CRT

It is hard to gauge how long his delay was (I don't his stop motion speed) but it seemed bad on both.

I think what that video proves is that CRT's had much less input lag in general than an LCD
Copyright 1987
noonan2678

Post by noonan2678 »

karmeck wrote:I take it you talked to him about this.

I asked about pvm's and he told me there would be issues.
The communication wasn't great. Thought I've seen several people with it working fine on a PVM/BVM. If anyone has run into this and can help, that would be awesome.

Thanks!
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

To the devs of this device, is it possible to include 2 different geometry settings for the 2 resolutions that you can select?.

As if you set up the screen geometry correctly for 240p (for playing games) and if your using the higher resolution for the menu screens (for selecting games and systems) then this geometry is not ideally setup as you've set it up just for the 240p resolution. Just wondered if it was possible to have 2 separate geometry options for each of the resolutions so you can get perfect geometry on each resolution?
arcadeswede

Post by arcadeswede »

I'm very interested in what's going on inside the scart socket of this cable? Does anyone have a picture of the inside?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

arcadeswede wrote:I'm very interested in what's going on inside the scart socket of this cable? Does anyone have a picture of the inside?

Necrobump, but here you go. The white blob isn't supposed to be there, it's someone's damaged unit... not my pic!
jeffez

Post by jeffez »

How are people setting up their mame/fba roms on this? Looks like it's not as simple as just copying the right rom sets into the designated folders? I can't get any to show up and there isn't allot of info out there on this with rgbpi compared to retropi.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

jeffez wrote:How are people setting up their mame/fba roms on this? Looks like it's not as simple as just copying the right rom sets into the designated folders? I can't get any to show up and there isn't allot of info out there on this with rgbpi compared to retropi.
If you're using a USB stick to hold all your ROMs, you need it formatted by their OS first... super annoying, I really dislike all their 'proprietary' steps they take for their product that's used to play illegal copies of games :P

PMing you a link to their ROMsets that are formatted for the device in one sec!
jeffez

Post by jeffez »

kitty666cats wrote:
jeffez wrote:How are people setting up their mame/fba roms on this? Looks like it's not as simple as just copying the right rom sets into the designated folders? I can't get any to show up and there isn't allot of info out there on this with rgbpi compared to retropi.
If you're using a USB stick to hold all your ROMs, you need it formatted by their OS first... super annoying, I really dislike all their 'proprietary' steps they take for their product that's used to play illegal copies of games :P

PMing you a link to their ROMsets that are formatted for the device in one sec!
Thanks! Replied to pm
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Bought a 2023 Crown Arcade Shop manufactured "Raspberry Pi to Jamma pcb" that's compatible with both RGB-Pi OS2 & OS4 Final. Proceeded to load up RGB-Pi OS4 Final on a Raspberry 4 setup with the initial bootup using a 32gb micro sdhc card. The arcade sticks/push buttons don't work with it as they aren't recognized whatsoever -- the arcade control panel is setup for Neo-Geo MVS 4-button layout. I don't see the proper folders to add the roms since I am using Win10. The RPi jamma pcb does have an dedicated kick harness slot (but is nice to have but not necessary in my case).

What do I need to do add the roms and start playing them? Step-by-step instructions would be much appreciated.

----------
I've read that some folks have resorted to using a Raspberry 3 B+ board + RGB-Pi OS2 instead as it's easier to get it setup with roms installed. This particular setup seems to recognize a dedicated MVS 4-button layout from the get-go.
----------

Of course, it's well known that RGB-Pi OS4 Final has built-in support with Final Burn Neo emulation from the get-go (whereas with the older RGB-Pi OS2 firmware, that particular setup doesn't have FBN support). Hmmm.....

Or would it be possible to use a December 2023 released Raspberry Pi 5 board instead? I did see a youtube video about it that it requires a PSU outputting 5.1v with 5A to power it up properly. Can an arcade psu even output at that high of voltage/amps rating? The arcade board of Griffin Aerotech's Sky Curser arcade stg pcb runs on the AirFrame platform (circa 2017) requires 5v @ 3A just to run/function properly (but that's rather a special exception as most arcade jamma pcbs run with 5v and less amperage to begin with as not to harm/damage them).

----------
I've noticed with the sold out Recalbox RGB Jamma pcb, that it automatically configures the arcade control panel's arcade sticks and push buttons with support for 3-button, 4-button MVS style and 6-button layout (for ease and simplicity -- essentially true "plug 'n' play"). Both 15.7kHz & 31kHz support from the get-go. Has support for Tate in either 90 degree or 270 degree orientation (quite handy if your arcade monitor rotates in the opposite direction or if your arcade monitor does screen flipping the wrong way "upside down" via yoke deflection issue). Support for CPS1 kick harness functionality. Wow, the Recalbox team has really throughly thought about everything (including the kitchen sink as well -- ha-ha). Damn, can't believe I missed out on pre-ordering one of these through the French based kisskissbankbank fundraiser event back in the summer of 2023. Will a second proper batch of the Recalbox RGB Jamma pcbs be made/sold?
----------

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
pcb_revival

Post by pcb_revival »

OS2 does have a fba core.
The supported romsets for OS2

fbneo v0.2.97.44
advmame (MAME 0.106)
mame2003-plus (MAME 0.78)
mame2010 (MAME 0.139)

A usb stick is recommended for the roms in case the installation gets forked up at some point.
The folder structure is created when activating the usb device.

This information may help your cabinet install.
https://nostalgaming.blogspot.com/2020/ ... gb-pi.html

Going forward rpi5 and beyond the software will be named RePlay OS.
https://rtomasa.github.io/MkDocs_RePlay/
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:36 am Or would it be possible to use a December 2023 released Raspberry Pi 5 board instead?
Right now pretty much no popular emulating suite will run on the Pi 5 in stock form*... meaning full emulation suites like RetroPie and Lakka and the like (last I searched was like a month ago though...). My RP5 has sat in its box for the last month with nothing to do on it... still waiting for the developers to release their RP5-specific version of their programs, then I'll try them out. Excited to see the performance gains, and new systems it'll be able to emulate.

It WILL happen though... will just take a bit of time. Hope the 5 doesn't have a similar analog-output issue (via RGB hats) like the 4's had... that took FOREVER to figure out how to do super resolutions on the 4, which had been commonplace on the 3's for years and years (but changes to how the 4 did things made the old way not work anymore, and took the longest time for the programmers to straighten that out).

*edit: just searched some more and at least Recalbox has a beta out for supporting the 5... maybe others are out there I also don't know about...
pcb_revival

Post by pcb_revival »

^ Yeah I had someone here with recalbox on rpi5 about a month ago seemed to work okay.

Retropie will work on rpi5 with a manual install as there is no pre-made image yet.
EDIT: rpi5 retropie based image FUNKTASY.
No link as the image is loaded with roms.

I like the user interface of the rgb pi os and use with rpi2/3/400 and Sony FE-1 chassis crt and Retropie @480p on Pioneer 402 4:3 plasma tate.
Last edited by pcb_revival on Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:36 am Bought a 2023 Crown Arcade Shop manufactured "Raspberry Pi to Jamma pcb" that's compatible with both RGB-Pi OS2 & OS4 Final. Proceeded to load up RGB-Pi OS4 Final on a Raspberry 4 setup with the initial bootup using a 32gb micro sdhc card. The arcade sticks/push buttons don't work with it as they aren't recognized whatsoever -- the arcade control panel is setup for Neo-Geo MVS 4-button layout. I don't see the proper folders to add the roms since I am using Win10. The RPi jamma pcb does have an dedicated kick harness slot (but is nice to have but not necessary in my case).

What do I need to do add the roms and start playing them? Step-by-step instructions would be much appreciated.

----------
I've read that some folks have resorted to using a Raspberry 3 B+ board + RGB-Pi OS2 instead as it's easier to get it setup with roms installed. This particular setup seems to recognize a dedicated MVS 4-button layout from the get-go.
----------

Of course, it's well known that RGB-Pi OS4 Final has built-in support with Final Burn Neo emulation from the get-go (whereas with the older RGB-Pi OS2 firmware, that particular setup doesn't have FBN support). Hmmm.....

Or would it be possible to use a December 2023 released Raspberry Pi 5 board instead? I did see a youtube video about it that it requires a PSU outputting 5.1v with 5A to power it up properly. Can an arcade psu even output at that high of voltage/amps rating? The arcade board of Griffin Aerotech's Sky Curser arcade stg pcb runs on the AirFrame platform (circa 2017) requires 5v @ 3A just to run/function properly (but that's rather a special exception as most arcade jamma pcbs run with 5v and less amperage to begin with as not to harm/damage them).

----------
I've noticed with the sold out Recalbox RGB Jamma pcb, that it automatically configures the arcade control panel's arcade sticks and push buttons with support for 3-button, 4-button MVS style and 6-button layout (for ease and simplicity -- essentially true "plug 'n' play"). Both 15.7kHz & 31kHz support from the get-go. Has support for Tate in either 90 degree or 270 degree orientation (quite handy if your arcade monitor rotates in the opposite direction or if your arcade monitor does screen flipping the wrong way "upside down" via yoke deflection issue). Support for CPS1 kick harness functionality. Wow, the Recalbox team has really throughly thought about everything (including the kitchen sink as well -- ha-ha). Damn, can't believe I missed out on pre-ordering one of these through the French based kisskissbankbank fundraiser event back in the summer of 2023. Will a second proper batch of the Recalbox RGB Jamma pcbs be made/sold?
----------

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
I didn't see that your basic questions got answered, so hopefully this is helpful. I just got my rgb-pi last week, and initially tried to get things going on a pi 3. Kept running in to difficulties, bit the bullet and got a pi 4 model B. Got it up and running without much difficulty. A little bit of learning curve, but nothing more than I would have expected for any similar project.

Long and the short of it, the best instructions are here: https://www.mortaca.com/rgb-pi/wiki/ind ... -Pi_OS.2F4

I've been FTP'ing into my pi over wireless, and loading and testing roms that way. I haven't found any major issues yet. PC Engine CD emulation works flawlessly. Playstation emulation seem to run a bit slow, but I have no intentions of using it for that, it was just an initial test I wanted to throw at it. I got the OpenEmu BIOS Pack off the interwebs too, which made things much easier for getting different emulators working.

What I am curious to know, though - is there a way to set free play globally in FB Neo? I'd say at least 50% of the roms I have loaded (and my use case is very limited) either do not have dip switch settings available in Core Options, or don't have a free play option available in the dip switch settings.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

I bought mine a long while back when the pi4 was not yet supported, so I rolled with the 3. One disappointing thing that I ran into is experiencing what looks like scaling artefacts in some games. Mind you, I have one hooked up inside a Sega Blast City cab, and the whole reason I got it for was that it looked to be a drop in replacement for the janky groovymame setup I had in there before.

I did very quickly notice however, that when the screen scrolled vertically in Chekhov there were strange artefacts, looking like artefacts of scaling. This puzzled me since I assumed there was no scaling involved in the analogue 15khz output, but perhaps I misunderstand how the RGB-PI works.

I don't really see any options anywhere that could be related to this, so I see no way of addressing it. Ever since I have been convinced that perhaps the Mistercade is the solution I should have opted for. The number of supported games would drop dramatically, sure, but I hopefully the ones that work would be free of such cryptic graphical faults.