Battery Inside GBA Cart?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SAM

Battery Inside GBA Cart?

Post by SAM »

I got a GBA cart which couldn't save properly it keep losing all its saved data every time the game is switch off. :(

Does there a battery inside a GBA cart for keeping the saved data? :o

If yes, does this means I just need to open it up and exchange the Battery would fix the problem?

I am worry that GBA carts uses Flesh RAM for saving data, and the Flesh RAM within my cart just not functioning. :?

P.S.- The cart is 'KiKi KaiKai', the Japanese version of 'Pocky & Rocky with Becky'. Well, I guess I couldn't resist when it comes to cute'mups... :lol:
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
PC Engine Fan X!

You'd use a "tri-wing" screwdriver to open up GBA

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I've seen some eBay auctions where you can buy specialized screwdrivers that can open up the GBA cartridges to clean them up or to change the "back-up" battery...if it has died and memory-save functionality doesn't work anymore. Enter the name of "Gamebit Screwdrivers" on the eBay item search box and it should give you a list of whose selling them.

You would need a "Tri-Wing" screwdriver just to be able to open up your Japanese GBA cart. (Same thing goes if you want to open up your GBA handheld as well to repair it or modify it.)

I still have an original GB cart of Nintendo's F-1 Racing (dated 1990 and it is now 2005) and it still has the "original" back-up battery which works like a charm! ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

By the way, you can extract tri-wing screws using a flathead screwdriver if you are very careful.

SAM, you sure your cart is not a bootleg? Although if it is, you can try to exchange it for one that saves properly, I've done it :)
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

As far as I know, legitimate GBA carts don't generally use batteries anymore, instead using NVRAM for saves. Here's some info from Nintendo on spotting GBA counterfeits:

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/boa ... age.id=471
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Dollars to donuts it's a HK bootleg.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Accutron wrote:Dollars to donuts it's a HK bootleg.
No, my cart comes with the orginal game box and manual. I don't think it is a bootleg. It is quite rare to find HK bootleg GBA carts for sale here, since people playing priate here use another means... FLASH Cart.

I opened up some of my GBA carts (which could save game status) and found that some did got a "back-up" battery, while some didn't .

The KiKi KaiKai (don't save high score) with problem is now with my sister ar UK. So I cann't open it up and see if it got a "back-up" battery to be exchanged.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*