shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:15 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:16 pm 

And this is where the headache of retro-gaming rears its ugly head, haha - latency. My Life in Gaming and some other reputable YouTubers say that there is no discernible latency with the retro receivers. All things being equal, I trust gamers on forums more than I do YouTube personalities, though. Shame.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:29 pm 

There were benchmarks published on RetroRGB for the m30, since it was a good opportunity to compare two outwardly identical controllers, one with 2.4 and one with BT:

https://www.retrorgb.com/krikzz-joyzz-v ... sting.html

The results were, and average of 3.6ms for the 2.4, and 21ms for the BT, but there was a big difference in the consistency. The 2.4 controller had a range of 1.95ms to 6ms, while the BT controller ranged from 2.9ms to 38ms.

I'm making a big assumption that the 2.4GHz SN30 controller has the same latency characteristics as the 2.4 GHz M30 controller, but I think it's a reasonable assumption... though the SN30/wiimote's more complex console connection (I2C bus) may add additional latency versus the M30/Genesis weird state machine used by the 6-button controller.

To use the SN30, I use a RaphNet classic-to-snes adapter, which is reported by RaphNet to add a maximum of 4ms of latency. So, around 8ms total, still better than the BT one, particularly for latency stability.

I did find a bug (well, oversight?) with this setup, however. If you push down+select on an SN30, it sends a wiimote home button press, since that's the button to open a menu on a SNES Classic. However, the raphnet adapter, which specifically lists support for both the SN30 and the Super Nt, doesn't map the wiimote home button back to down+select, so down+select is basically blocked from reaching the real SNES. Not a problem on a SNES, where that combo isn't really used, but kind of a problem on the Super Nt, which uses down+select for its menu. So long story short, I had to change the Super Nt menu shortcut to something else (which I've forgotten, but it was like left+select or something).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:45 pm 

^Thanks for the reference. I went ahead and ordered the Retro Receivers, just to get a personal sense of how acceptable the lg is. We'll see...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:45 pm 

Incidentally, before I scour this thread, does anyone have their settings published for the Super NT?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:51 pm 

Windfish wrote:
Incidentally, before I scour this thread, does anyone have their settings published for the Super NT?

Look for Firebrandx settings on youtube or google. He has the best settings. Otherwise use 6x integer scaling on the horizontal axis 1536 (6x256) and 5x on the vertical axis 1200 (5x240). Turn off all interpolation. Nothing is produces a sharper image but you’ll lose a couple of pixels on the top and bottom of the screen but nothing to get upset about.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:33 am 

Does anyone know when a new jb firmware will be released to address the regression bug that prevents video settings being correctly loaded on boot if not running a cart right away?

Thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:48 pm 

H6rdc0re wrote:
Windfish wrote:

Look for Firebrandx settings on youtube or google. He has the best settings. Otherwise use 6x integer scaling on the horizontal axis 1536 (6x256) and 5x on the vertical axis 1200 (5x240). Turn off all interpolation. Nothing is produces a sharper image but you’ll lose a couple of pixels on the top and bottom of the screen but nothing to get upset about.

I looked him up. He prefers his picture without scanlines, and I'm the opposite, haha.

I finally set it all up today - 8 systems connected to my LG C9 OLED! Cable management and unit placement was really quite an effort, but the real work begins: fiddling with picture settings!

Scanlines look super weird in 1080p. I am wondering - anyone know of any good settings for scanlines? And I guess I have to choose between perfect integer scaling and aspect correction? Why would I choose one over the other?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:12 am 

Windfish wrote:

I looked him up. He prefers his picture without scanlines, and I'm the opposite, haha.

I finally set it all up today - 8 systems connected to my LG C9 OLED! Cable management and unit placement was really quite an effort, but the real work begins: fiddling with picture settings!

Scanlines look super weird in 1080p. I am wondering - anyone know of any good settings for scanlines? And I guess I have to choose between perfect integer scaling and aspect correction? Why would I choose one over the other?

If scanlines are a priority for you I'd suggest trying out 720p, it'll be a softer picture but I found scanlines to look by far best on it when I was using a C8+OSSC.

Also, the processing that the LG OLEDs do on non-game modes actually works surprisingly well in creating CRT-like scanlines (uneven thickness based on brightness), at the cost of a bit more lag.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:45 pm 

Contrary to popular opinion, I think scanlines look just fine on 1080p, provided you make some adjustments. FirebrandX's settingsfor 1080p are an excellent base on which to build, so start there. For scanlines, I have been using this forum post as a guideline. The scanlines are thick, uniform - in both appearance and spacing. The only problem seems to be screen brightness, or lack thereof. The screen becomes noticeably darker after you make these scanline adjustments, which is just as much a problem for 720p scanlines.

The forum post above provides options that help make up for the darkness, and while they do help, the difference might not be enough depending on your personal taste and the ambient lighting of your room. As for me, I am trying to find ways to boost the brightness/vividness. I have an OLED panel, and there's an option for OLED Light that does the trick beautifully, but I need to do some research and see what adverse effects could happen if I boost this setting too much.

To that end, anyone have an OLED panel? What's your OLED Light setting at?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:27 am 

Windfish wrote:
Contrary to popular opinion, I think scanlines look just fine on 1080p, provided you make some adjustments. FirebrandX's settingsfor 1080p are an excellent base on which to build, so start there. For scanlines, I have been using this forum post as a guideline. The scanlines are thick, uniform - in both appearance and spacing. The only problem seems to be screen brightness, or lack thereof. The screen becomes noticeably darker after you make these scanline adjustments, which is just as much a problem for 720p scanlines.

The forum post above provides options that help make up for the darkness, and while they do help, the difference might not be enough depending on your personal taste and the ambient lighting of your room. As for me, I am trying to find ways to boost the brightness/vividness. I have an OLED panel, and there's an option for OLED Light that does the trick beautifully, but I need to do some research and see what adverse effects could happen if I boost this setting too much.

That's an interesting link, Windfish.

Personally, I disagree that reducing Sub-brightness below 140 is pointless, as the linked post says. In fact, I go as low as 20. In this way, scanlines are very faint, but still noticeable and give the image more sharpness and better motion compared to non-scanline look.

In fact, I think that thick and dark scanlines are not CRT-like at all. On CRT, the natural bloom softens them up a lot, in some areas even making them unnoticeable. So lighter hybrid scanlines look way more natural to me on modern flat screens.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22