Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Harrumph

Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)

Post by Harrumph »

citrus3000psi wrote:Is 240p even listed in the HDMI spec? I would assumed its line doubled/tripled via integer scaling.
Yes, 240p and 288p is included in the latest CEA spec (with horizontal active of 1440 or 2880).
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Several (probably most?) hdmi/dvi to vga transcoders handle 240p just fine (I tested this with the OSSC set to pass through 240p). So, if the Super NT were to support 240p outpt, one such simple DAC is all you would need to hook it up to a standard CRT.

It follows that 240p output would be nice to have indeed imho.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

If you're going to use it on a CRT, why not just buy a Super Nintendo?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Fair enough, but if the Super NT delivers, it should feature full support of the SNES/SFC game library via SD card (vs the SD2SNES still not supporting Super FX games, and costing nearly as much as the Super NT). It will also be easier to deal with (no need to hunt for a 1CHIP and/or perform an RGB bypass/TOSLINK mod, hdmi out for eventual use with digital displays, etc).
FBX

Post by FBX »

Fudoh wrote:
48Khz audio? Isn't the SNES 32Khz? Forced resampling?
Neccessary for HDMI output. Which target device would be able to handle the raw 32khz signal ?
Several A/V receivers are known to work with the SNES raw digital sound. My own Sony AVR works just fine with my SNES consoles modded with Borti's TOSLINK boards.

But yeah, it's a very minor gripe no 32Khz is offered. I'm sure it's pretty much indistinguishable to the human ear if you were to compare a raw track with a 48Khz resample. That said, I will continue to use my modded SNES consoles to rip raw digital soundtracks.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

I secured my pre-order for the Black Super Nt console and Black Edition 8Bitdo SN30 Retro Set (how are the d-pad on these?) off Amazon.
$223.10 for the console and $43.24 for controller totals $264.34 shipped. Holding off on a SD2SNES until more details emerge.

Going to try and sell my 1Chip-01 SNES (check For Sale section in a few days) and return my unopened SNES Classic Edition to cover costs.
xga

Post by xga »

I know this is meant to be a SNES centric device, but I can't help but wonder if Kevtris will release a Jailbreak firmware after its release, giving the ability play other 16bit consoles (or even the 8bit ones too) e.g. Mega Drive / Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, Neo Geo etc.
Last edited by xga on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FBX

Post by FBX »

xga wrote:I know this is meant to a SNES centric device, but I can't help but wonder if Kevtris will release a Jailbreak firmware after its release, giving the ability play other 16bit consoles (or even the 8bit ones too) e.g. Mega Drive / Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, Neo Geo etc.
Hopefully, but it might be a thing where you have to wait for a 'mini' version with SD card input. :-P
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

FBX wrote: it might be a thing where you have to wait for a 'mini' version with SD card input. :-P
It has a SD card slot already
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

Really excited to see how it performs. Makes me wonder what jwdonal is going to do with his verisnes project.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

Lawfer wrote:
Seraphic wrote:"If enough people are interested in having analog out, we'll make a limited edition with one. Otherwise, it's identical to the HDMI output on the Nt mini."
Interesting, thanks for that, I might need to keep an eye out for that if they ever decide to do it.

citrus3000psi wrote:Is 240p even listed in the HDMI spec?
Nah, HDMI doesn't do 240p, the lowest it can do is 480i.

240P is absolutely in the spec, now.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Voultar wrote:240P is absolutely in the spec, now.
"Now"? As in HDMI 2.0 or 2.1?
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

Does this support all special chips like super fx and sa-1 via games loaded on sd card?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Officially, it only supports cartridges, and any/all cartridges with such chips will work perfectly.

Unofficially, loading ROMs in jailbroken mode, who knows how many (if any) enhancement chips will be supported.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Guspaz wrote:Officially, it only supports cartridges, and any/all cartridges with such chips will work perfectly.

Unofficially, loading ROMs in jailbroken mode, who knows how many (if any) enhancement chips will be supported.
Yeah this is the key point of wonder. Did Kevtris add onboard special chip support, or does it simply rely on the cartridge? If it relies on the cart, then you'll still need to keep physical copies of Star Fox 1 & 2, Super Mario RPG, and Yoshi's Island handy (to name a few).
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Since Kevtris works for Analogue full-time now I wouldn't expect it unless he implemented all the chips in his free time. They certainly wouldn't have paid him to add more features to an already unofficial/unsupported aspect of their product.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

FBX wrote:
xga wrote:I know this is meant to a SNES centric device, but I can't help but wonder if Kevtris will release a Jailbreak firmware after its release, giving the ability play other 16bit consoles (or even the 8bit ones too) e.g. Mega Drive / Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, Neo Geo etc.
Hopefully, but it might be a thing where you have to wait for a 'mini' version with SD card input. :-P
Also, I assume the cores for other consoles don't even exist yet. The Nt Mini was able to leverage the fact that he already had a giant backlog of cores ready to go.

Still, at less than $200 for a really good snes is totally worth it imho.
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

IDK, what percentage of analog nt owners do you think haven't jailbroken theirs? It's probably slim to none. It's a major appeal of the product. Kevtris released the jailbreak on his own... and since he developed it to begin with, it may as well be called "official". Plus, that's kinda just speculating on how he gets paid....maybe instead he has a deal where he gets paid a % of units sold... and in which case there would be enormous incentive for him to develop special chip support ("unofficially"). And to continue my own speculating.... if he indeed develops the special chip emulation, perhaps down the road we will see it available on the SD2SNES :)

Regardless, what a huge step forward for the community. So cool.
bobrocks95 wrote:Since Kevtris works for Analogue full-time now I wouldn't expect it unless he implemented all the chips in his free time. They certainly wouldn't have paid him to add more features to an already unofficial/unsupported aspect of their product.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

tjstogy wrote:IDK, what percentage of analog nt owners do you think haven't jailbroken theirs? It's probably slim to none.
I have Analogue NT Mini, have not jailbroken it and will not jailbreak it. No interest in it whatsoever. I don't understand that mentality. "Hey, let's buy a really expensive piece of hardware meant to play all these original NES and Famicom carts I have. Lemme just download teh romz and play Master System on it."

Can't really agree with that "major appeal of the product" -statement either. The major appeal is that you can play your NES games in gorgeous HDMI on your current-gen TV without any lag or fuzzy image.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

xga wrote:I know this is meant to be a SNES centric device, but I can't help but wonder if Kevtris will release a Jailbreak firmware after its release, giving the ability play other 16bit consoles (or even the 8bit ones too) e.g. Mega Drive / Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, Neo Geo etc.
I think this is wishful thinking. If anything support for other systems like Megadrive or Neo Geo will be held back (if they even exist) for future products, why give you what they can sell to you?
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

I agree with Ghegs, altho I do dump my games with the copynes feature :)
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I would like to see 240p too actually. No I don't have an use case for it now, but it could be nice to have for future scalers, or maybe even if you just want a softer look now. Plus obviously as mentioned, easier to convert for CRT owners.

At any rate, while I really want this thing, I'm not rushing out to buy it unless it has different cores. I want a good FPGA multi-system unit. I don't want a separate FPGA console for every system.
streetogre

Post by streetogre »

My theory... It will end up having a Genesis core, but no way it would have a Neo Geo core.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Ghegs wrote:
I have Analogue NT Mini, have not jailbroken it and will not jailbreak it. No interest in it whatsoever. I don't understand that mentality. "Hey, let's buy a really expensive piece of hardware meant to play all these original NES and Famicom carts I have. Lemme just download teh romz and play Master System on it."
You don't lose the ability to play NES games. The 'jailbreak' firmwares were made by the same guy that made the original firmware, so instead of a near flawless NES experience, you get that AND several other systems that really don't have great solutions right now. It's a question of why WOULDN'T you update the firmware to add those consoles. It's at no extra cost and in an all-in-one firmware.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

FBX wrote:that really don't have great solutions right now.
You can grab a Master Systems console off ebay easily.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

FBX wrote:You don't lose the ability to play NES games. The 'jailbreak' firmwares were made by the same guy that made the original firmware, so instead of a near flawless NES experience, you get that AND several other systems that really don't have great solutions right now. It's a question of why WOULDN'T you update the firmware to add those consoles. It's at no extra cost and in an all-in-one firmware.
I know you don't lose the ability to play carts, but as a general rule I don't play roms. Original hardware, original games, that's how I roll. Analogue NT Mini is a notable exception, because its benefits (takes both NES and FC cartridges, HDMI out, takes original controllers, not just a NES-on-a-chip, handles the expanded audio capabilities, great configuration options, etc...) outweigh the "not original hardware, but as close to it as possible"-factor in my mind. I still have my AV FC in regular use as well.

I also don't care about the Master System or the other systems I could jailbreak the system for. Or if I do, I have the original system and play the games on that.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

Voultar wrote:
240P is absolutely in the spec, now.
would
240p HDMI > HDMI-VGA > 15khz RGBHV monitor
work ?
With JVC monitors with the RGB card or NEC / Mitsubishi presentation monitors for example.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

depends on the HDMI to analogue RGB converter, but usually it does. Works on the Pi as well (before the VGA666/GPIO solutions were available).

I didn't follow the Analogue Nt updates, but Kevtris never added back the bilinear filtering for artefact-free 4:3 aspect ratio, right ? I would really like to see this on the Super Nt. The idea of needing a secondery processor just for aspect ratio control still seems stupid.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Since kevtris is working for analogue full time I wonder if they plan to release all the consoles he has cores for.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Lawfer wrote:
FBX wrote:that really don't have great solutions right now.
You can grab a Master Systems console off ebay easily.
Come on, don 't be an ass. That's not what I meant. I'm talking about HDMI solutions for several consoles like Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Colecovision, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Gear, etc.
Ghegs wrote: I also don't care about the Master System or the other systems I could jailbreak the system for. Or if I do, I have the original system and play the games on that.
Yeah but you don't have all the ones I listed in HDMI format output. That's what makes the Nt Mini actually WORTH buying to a lot of people. It makes the price more reasonable. You've made it clear that you do not care about ROMs, but that's beside the point when you consider the HDMI solution it offers for those consoles and handhelds, combined with Kevtris's superior FPGA execution of those cores. So it shouldn't come as such an 'OMG disgusting' shock to you why people use his jailbreak firmware.