shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:21 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:20 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2008
Posts: 1478
ASDR wrote:
Once mine dies from old age


Chances are, we'll die from old age before our SNES's.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:03 pm 



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 414
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Pretty much confirmed that this company flat-out does not offer customer service.

It's understandable given how this type of enterprise needs to allocate the resources they have.. but still 100% unacceptable.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:56 am 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jun 2017
Posts: 53
bigbadboaz wrote:
Pretty much confirmed that this company flat-out does not offer customer service.

It's understandable given how this type of enterprise needs to allocate the resources they have.. but still 100% unacceptable.


Elaborate a bit?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:09 am 



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 414
Location: Los Angeles, CA
I'm referring to the stories people have told just in the last few pages.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:04 am 



Joined: 25 Jun 2016
Posts: 243
bigbadboaz wrote:
I'm referring to the stories people have told just in the last few pages.

They're just stories. Until I see pictures of someone saying "This is broken" and Analogue saying "We won't return or fix it" then I'm not going to put any stock in them.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:31 pm 



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 414
Location: Los Angeles, CA
I don't see any reason the detailed accounts given by fellow forum members wouldn't be credible. But enough, anyways.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:56 pm 



Joined: 26 Feb 2010
Posts: 380
I received my Super NT and now have an update on the UPS Ground Shipping costs. Please refer to the breakdown included below:

ANALOGUE UPS GROUND SHIPPING COSTS: $39.71

Box Weight: 3 pounds
Box Dimensions: 12 x 9 x 6

* STANDARD RESIDENTIAL UPS GROUND SHIPPING COST: $16

* CORPORATE RESIDENTIAL UPS GROUND SHIPPING COST: $10


* This is the "worst case" scenario of shipping coast to coast – from New York, NY to Henderson, NV

That leaves Analogue with a nice balance of approximately $24 to $30 bringing the real cost of the Super NT up to around $214–$220.

Again, I'd be happy to pay that price, but this method of extracting money from the consumer is disingenuous and manipulative.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:56 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2017
Posts: 46
You guys complaining about the shipping price, you do realize they use a shipping partner for packaging and handling. That probably explains the higher than standard shipping cost. Myself, I wouldn't have included the cost as part of the shipping, instead I would have added it to the base cost. Doing it this way looks better for PR. However I don't think they are ripping anyone off as suggested.

This link mentions the shipping partner several times.
https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/ar ... -18-Update

edit: Using the UPS calculator and declaring 200 total cost, shipping to my address cost about 20.13us, I was charged 37.56. Yeah I can't fully explain why its so high, even using a shipping partner doesn't explain it. But you know what, I knew what I was getting charged before I ordered.


Last edited by Thomas83lin on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:07 pm 



Joined: 25 Jun 2016
Posts: 243
My guess is that they probably ship from somewhere in chinaland so the shipping cost is probably a lot higher than $10. I would be very surprised if the final product was made stateside. After all you'd have to be completely retarded to pay a company $30 organize a product with a $10 shipping cost. That's a 300% handling fee. If it was shipping from overseas I could totally see the shipping cost being ~$30 so that at least puts a final cost of $40 somewhat in the realm of not being total bullshit.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:57 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Apr 2016
Posts: 362
They do flashing firmware by there own.

edit: can be seen here - https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/5/169653 ... -making-of
_________________
Visit my projekts: GitHub, OSH Park


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:48 pm 



Joined: 26 Feb 2010
Posts: 380
Quote:
You guys complaining about the shipping price, you do realize they use a shipping partner for packaging and handling. That probably explains the higher than standard shipping cost.


I'd heard that, but I highly doubt they are paying more than $20 per shipment to the continental United States. The third party shipper definitely has a UPS account and is at most paying $10 and then maybe doubling the cost for "handling."

If they are paying $40 for shipping, which I doubt, then they are imbeciles – and I don't think they are imbeciles considering how well the product was introduced/produced/publicized.

Quote:
Myself, I wouldn't have included the cost as part of the shipping, instead I would have added it to the base cost. Doing it this way looks better for PR.

Does it? $40 is over 20% of the overall unit cost. It looks idiotic to me. Why do you think Amazon has free shipping with Prime? ;)

Quote:
edit: Using the UPS calculator and declaring 200 total cost, shipping to my address cost about 20.13us....


The company wouldn't insure for how much they sell the product to you, they'd insure for how much it costs them to replace it.

I doubt that Analogue is paying more than $100 per unit. They likely opted for the free, $100 insurance offered by UPS Ground as the default. Even if they are paying a unit cost of say $130, I'm guessing they'd roll the dice and just stick with the $100 insurance – I would personally.

UPS takes care of their business accounts. This is likely why they aren't shipping via USPS.

Quote:
My guess is that they probably ship from somewhere in chinaland so the shipping cost is probably a lot higher than $10.


The package was shipped from Nevada, but this is a good point. They may be passing the cost of shipping the Super NT to the US on slowboat from China onto the consumer. Its a little ridiculous in this day and age, but its possible.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:56 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2015
Posts: 1891
Location: DFW area, Texas
philexile wrote:

Quote:
My guess is that they probably ship from somewhere in chinaland so the shipping cost is probably a lot higher than $10.


The package was shipped from Nevada, but this is a good point. They may be passing the cost of shipping the Super NT to the US on slowboat from China onto the consumer. Its a little ridiculous in this day and age, but its possible.


I believe it is the case. When I first tried to order a Super Nt with my Mastercard, the order kept getting rejected. I finally had to call up my bank and find out why, and they said it was because the charge was going directly to China, and they put an automatic stop on orders to China in case it is fraudulent. I had to enable special permissions just to order the Super Nt. I later notified Analogue that they should consider using a US bank for domestic orders to prevent issues like that. But at any rate, it would seem the money goes to China.
_________________
Framemeister profiles: http://www.firebrandx.com/framemeisterprofiles.html

NES NTSC Palettes: http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html

SNES Serial DB: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HYLy_TTDop_FzuX6qnxuQI43upg4raXfno582taO744/pubhtml


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:38 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 6458
Location: MD
FBX wrote:
I believe it is the case. When I first tried to order a Super Nt with my Mastercard, the order kept getting rejected. I finally had to call up my bank and find out why, and they said it was because the charge was going directly to China, and they put an automatic stop on orders to China in case it is fraudulent. I had to enable special permissions just to order the Super Nt. I later notified Analogue that they should consider using a US bank for domestic orders to prevent issues like that. But at any rate, it would seem the money goes to China.


I had the same issue when I first tried to order the Super NT. Thankfully, the order went through when I decided to order it later. I got mine today and I like it quite a bit. I tried it with a few special chip games, the Super Game Boy, and the SD2SNES and they all work great. Only minor "issue" is that it detected my display as 1080p (my TV has a "1080p" setting that is not real 1080p) when it doesn't support true 1080p. So far, the Xbox 360 is the only device to get the autodection right.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:48 am 



Joined: 19 Jul 2010
Posts: 196
Has anyone seen any updates on the analog A/V DAC Analogue is working on?

EDIT:

FBX wrote:

With the new 4.4 firmware, The Super Nt is in my opinion the best all around SNES experience for a modern display. It only has two downsides that I can really think of:

1. No analog output for CRT gaming.

2. No save-stating like the SNES Classic has.

I know Analogue has mentioned they will soon have an adapter for analog output, but it remains to be seen how this will function for CRT users. Will the Super Scope work on it? Will interlaced modes be properly sent to the CRT? etc.



I'm still pretty annoyed at the slow boot time. A real Super Nintendo boots a game in a few milliseconds while the Super NT takes multiple seconds. This is a huge time difference.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:02 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 11003
Location: Germany
Quote:
I'm still pretty annoyed at the slow boot time. A real Super Nintendo boots a game in a few milliseconds while the Super NT takes multiple seconds. This is a huge time difference.

I didn't compare it yet. Still like the opening animation, so I haven't switched it off yet. Is the actual boot time really this much worth even when switching off the animation and enabling direct boot of the cart ?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:52 pm 



Joined: 07 Feb 2013
Posts: 212
panzeroceania wrote:
Has anyone seen any updates on the analog A/V DAC Analogue is working on?
I'm still pretty annoyed at the slow boot time. A real Super Nintendo boots a game in a few milliseconds while the Super NT takes multiple seconds. This is a huge time difference.


This would actually be pretty interesting to see. cuz we need to turn off all menu stuff etc and then compare.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:54 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2015
Posts: 1891
Location: DFW area, Texas
Fudoh wrote:
Quote:
I'm still pretty annoyed at the slow boot time. A real Super Nintendo boots a game in a few milliseconds while the Super NT takes multiple seconds. This is a huge time difference.

I didn't compare it yet. Still like the opening animation, so I haven't switched it off yet. Is the actual boot time really this much worth even when switching off the animation and enabling direct boot of the cart ?


There's a setting in the menu to change boot time. The default is 4 seconds, but you can turn it down to instant if you want. I put mine at 1 second.
_________________
Framemeister profiles: http://www.firebrandx.com/framemeisterprofiles.html

NES NTSC Palettes: http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html

SNES Serial DB: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HYLy_TTDop_FzuX6qnxuQI43upg4raXfno582taO744/pubhtml


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:30 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 6458
Location: MD
Also, if you plan use MSU-1 games on SD2SNES, make sure the external audio option is on. I'm guessing it's also needed for SGB?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:15 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2015
Posts: 1891
Location: DFW area, Texas
BrianC wrote:
Also, if you plan use MSU-1 games on SD2SNES, make sure the external audio option is on. I'm guessing it's also needed for SGB?


Yep. Although if you don't plan on using external sources like MSU1 or SGB all that often, I recommend keeping cart audio turned off until you need it on.
_________________
Framemeister profiles: http://www.firebrandx.com/framemeisterprofiles.html

NES NTSC Palettes: http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html

SNES Serial DB: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HYLy_TTDop_FzuX6qnxuQI43upg4raXfno582taO744/pubhtml


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:18 am 



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 414
Location: Los Angeles, CA
FBX wrote:

There's a setting in the menu to change boot time. The default is 4 seconds, but you can turn it down to instant if you want. I put mine at 1 second.


Why the heck would they add "boot time" to a Super Nintendo clone?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:19 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2015
Posts: 1891
Location: DFW area, Texas
bigbadboaz wrote:
FBX wrote:

There's a setting in the menu to change boot time. The default is 4 seconds, but you can turn it down to instant if you want. I put mine at 1 second.


Why the heck would they add "boot time" to a Super Nintendo clone?


My guess is because maybe certain home theater HDMI setups might need time to sync up or otherwise be prepared to receive the signal. I don't know really, but as I said, you can lower the default 4-second value to whatever you want.
_________________
Framemeister profiles: http://www.firebrandx.com/framemeisterprofiles.html

NES NTSC Palettes: http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html

SNES Serial DB: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HYLy_TTDop_FzuX6qnxuQI43upg4raXfno582taO744/pubhtml


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:18 am 



Joined: 29 Sep 2017
Posts: 11
My new PCB has arrived yesterday, already replaced with the fault one (very easy). Everything working fine now, finally :D


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:10 am 



Joined: 19 Jul 2010
Posts: 196
@FBX even at zero seconds it is way slower than a real Super Nintendo. The same is true of the Nt mini.it was the first thing I noticed. Even when the menu is set to instant it takes several seconds


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:14 am 



Joined: 25 Jun 2016
Posts: 243
panzeroceania wrote:
@FBX even at zero seconds it is way slower than a real Super Nintendo. The same is true of the Nt mini.it was the first thing I noticed. Even when the menu is set to instant it takes several seconds


Does that even matter? I mean is the extra second ever going to add up to a meaningful chunk of time?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:45 am 



Joined: 19 Jul 2010
Posts: 196
Yeah it's super annoying, one of the biggest losses of current game consoles vs previous ones, and certainly a step away from perfect replication of an original SNES. Either you're exactly like an SNES , or you're not

FBX wrote:

I will say that the Super Nt obviously 'simulates' the audio hardware, but it also upsamples it to 48Khz. If you're a purist and want raw 32 Khz original hardware sound, you'd still want to get a mod board for an original SNES console. Aside from the purist point of view, the sound from the Super Nt at the very least sounds a lot better than analog output, so there's that advantage from the start.


What DAC do you use? I was under the impression that most if not all when fed something via SPDIF will upsample whatever you feed it to a common sample rate


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:50 am 



Joined: 25 Jun 2016
Posts: 243
panzeroceania wrote:
Yeah it's super annoying, one of the biggest losses of current game consoles vs previous ones, and certainly a step away from perfect replication of an original SNES. Either you're exactly like an SNES , or you're not


No it isn't. It doesn't even matter. Big deal it takes 1-2 extra seconds to load a game. How many games do you load a day? It adds up to nothing and in exchange you get a much improved experience over the original.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:56 am 



Joined: 19 Jul 2010
Posts: 196
So you're telling me what annoys me? How can you make an objective statement about a subjective statement. Furthermore if something's goal is to be exactly like something else, it can't by definition be an improvement on the original as it's ideal state would be identical to the original.


Last edited by panzeroceania on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:01 am 



Joined: 25 Jun 2016
Posts: 243
panzeroceania wrote:
So you're telling me what annoys me? How can you make an objective statement about a subjective statement. Furthermore if something's goal is to be exactly like something else, it can't by definition be an improvement on the original as it's ideal state would be identical to the original.


Now you're just splitting hairs for the sake of having something to cry about. Clearly they made the experience better and clearly that was their goal all along and clearly that is why people are buying it. If you don't want a 1080p hdmi snes that takes and extra few seconds to load games then buy a real snes. Duh.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:05 am 



Joined: 19 Jul 2010
Posts: 196
I'm not splitting hairs, it's genuinely an immediate perceivable difference the moment you turn the unit on.

Why are you defending a flaw that doesn't need to be there?

The most compelling reason for a device like the Super Nt is to be able to create new SNES compatible consoles at a fixed price with customer support, warranty, and the expectation that the unit will work out of the box. Something you can't expect from a 2nd hand unit. I honestly genuinely could care less about 1080p output, none of the games are 1080p


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:10 am 



Joined: 25 Jun 2016
Posts: 243
panzeroceania wrote:
I'm not splitting hairs, it's genuinely an immediate perceivable difference the moment you turn the unit on.

Why are you defending a flaw that doesn't need to be there?

The most compelling reason for a device like the Super Nt is to be able to create new SNES compatible consoles at a fixed price with customer support, warranty, and the expectation that the unit will work out of the box. Something you can't expect from a 2nd hand unit. I honestly genuinely could care less about 1080p output, none of the games are 1080p


Who says it doesn't need to be there? If the console had the ability to instantly turn on I'm sure it would be a setting. Big deal if you turn it on once or twice per day and it takes an extra second. You have probably wasted more of your life complaining about it than you will ever lose waiting for it to turn on. And not caring about 1080p or hdmi makes you the incredible minority. Most snes are still going strong and if you just can't take that extra second of load time I strongly suggest you pick one of those up to save yourself from it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The Spaniard and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group