Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ghegs

Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)

Post by Ghegs »

FBX wrote:So it shouldn't come as such an 'OMG disgusting' shock to you why people use his jailbreak firmware.
It never was a shock. But when somebody claims that everybody who bought this device has jailbroken it and is just using it to play teh romz, that's when I need to correct them. I still don't understand the mentality of people wanting to turn every cool thing (these, NES/SNES Mini, etc) into a rom receptible, but a shock it is not.

But this is all getting quite off-topic, so I'll refrain from steering the discussion into that direction anymore.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I still don't anticipate that they would literally pay Kevtris to implement a feature they can't advertise, instead of selling other consoles.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

bobrocks95 wrote:I still don't anticipate that they would literally pay Kevtris to implement a feature they can't advertise, instead of selling other consoles.
Exactly. I don't think we will see other cores on this SNES. They have gotten the price point low enough to where people will be able to keep buying other full consoles.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Yeah, makes a lot of sense. Make the premium version showcase the possibilities, and sell more units to raise funds and get word of mouth advertising. Then drill in on each console individually.
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

citrus3000psi wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:I still don't anticipate that they would literally pay Kevtris to implement a feature they can't advertise, instead of selling other consoles.
Exactly. I don't think we will see other cores on this SNES. They have gotten the price point low enough to where people will be able to keep buying other full consoles.
That's a bummer, at least for me. A big selling point of the NT mini was that one device handles HDMI/RGB for a bunch of consoles, freeing up space on my TV stand. I can understand from a business perspective why they don't implement additional cores, but I hope they at least provide SD card support for games. Otherwise I would just stick with my snes mini and SD2SNES.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

In a world where snes mini exists, what is the great appeal of this now?
philexile

Post by philexile »

Woozle wrote: That's a bummer, at least for me. A big selling point of the NT mini was that one device handles HDMI/RGB for a bunch of consoles, freeing up space on my TV stand.
I wouldn't count on "jailbroken" cores never being released. I'm going to make a few assumptions:

1. Kevin worked on the Analog NT Mini on a freelance basis

2. Analog didn't care about the hacked software that Kevin released for the Mini after the release

3. Kevin is now a full-time, staff employee at Analog and worked on the Super NT as his "day job"

With all that in mind, I'm going to guess that Analog doesn't care about what people do software-wise with their products. Analog seems focused on hardware sales. As long as they keep selling out their stock, they are happy.

Some of these consoles are hardly remembered and they are niche. I doubt that Analog will ever want to release something like a "TurboGrafx Mini" as there isn't as much nostalgia for that console – in the USA at least. That said, a Sega Genesis wouldn't be out of the question....

It is my suspicion that Analog wants to have a limited product lines that sell a lot of units. If that is the case – and Kevin still wants to work on cores in his free time to release them to the community – I doubt they'd stop him and/or care.

All of the above could be completely wrong, but its just my thoughts on this. :)
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

LDigital wrote:In a world where snes mini exists, what is the great appeal of this now?
This is a legit replacement for the real hardware (aside from no 240p out of course), not a cheap emulator box that doesn't even have the compatibility or accuracy of snes9x 2010.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I hear him, though. The SNES Mini is pretty damn great for everyone outside of a very specific niche. You can load all kinds of crap on it already, and the emulation is close enough across the board to satisfy someone like me, who's got stacks of the old carts and discs available. The pricepoint is better and it comes with two official controllers.

I do think this unit's thunder is stolen somewhat by hitting right now, just after the Classic's release.
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

bigbadboaz wrote:I hear him, though. The SNES Mini is pretty damn great for everyone outside of a very specific niche. You can load all kinds of crap on it already, and the emulation is close enough across the board to satisfy someone like me, who's got stacks of the old carts and discs available. The pricepoint is better and it comes with two official controllers. .
Be it PC, Snes Mini, Raspberri Pi or FPGA hardware it's great that there are so many options available to people depending on how much or how little you care about being faithful to original hardware. Everyone wins...
bigbadboaz wrote:I do think this unit's thunder is stolen somewhat by hitting right now, just after the Classic's release.
Its a shame the announcement wasn't not before the release of the Classic or I would have cancelled my pre-order and put the money toward this instead. Never mind, still nice to have a couple of new controllers that can be used with Hiagn.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

LDigital wrote:In a world where snes mini exists, what is the great appeal of this now?
In addition to the potential latency benefits of using FPGA hardware over emulation, the advantage of this over the Snes Mini is pretty clear: it can interface with real hardware, mainly cartridges and controllers. If the Analogue Nt Mini is anything to go by it will also have better video options.

This was covered in the first post and the sales pitch of the device, why do you need someone to repeat it to you?
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

Why be like that? I can see what it offers from the description, but it just doesn’t seem to fit anywhere for me, I have a 1chip snes for the real thing and a mini snes for the family downstairs with every game I’m ever likely to play loaded up to play in hd. If this had been 6 months earlier I would have bit their hand off for it but now it feels like it’s a little late to the party
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

LDigital wrote:Why be like that? I can see what it offers from the description, but it just doesn’t seem to fit anywhere for me, I have a 1chip snes for the real thing and a mini snes for the family downstairs with every game I’m ever likely to play loaded up to play in hd. If this had been 6 months earlier I would have bit their hand off for it but now it feels like it’s a little late to the party
You asked what the great appeal of this thing was. Not why someone who already had a Snes Mini and a Snes would get one.

Not everyone has both of those. I would say very few have either of those.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

GOD!!! I'd have been all over something like this if I hadn't gone all RGB with a Framemeister and SNES Mini modded for RGB C-Sync, several months ago. It would have been significantly cheaper and less complicated. But, everyone can always use a Framemeister! :)
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

TooBeaucoup wrote:GOD!!! I'd have been all over something like this if I hadn't gone all RGB with a Framemeister and SNES Mini modded for RGB C-Sync, several months ago. It would have been significantly cheaper and less complicated. But, everyone can always use a Framemeister! :)
I have that exact same setup + a BVM on top, I still jumped on this. The AVS sold me on FPGA systems, I'm super interested how this turns out.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Jockel wrote:
TooBeaucoup wrote:GOD!!! I'd have been all over something like this if I hadn't gone all RGB with a Framemeister and SNES Mini modded for RGB C-Sync, several months ago. It would have been significantly cheaper and less complicated. But, everyone can always use a Framemeister! :)
I have that exact same setup + a BVM on top, I still jumped on this. The AVS sold me on FPGA systems, I'm super interested how this turns out.
I'll be honest, given the price point, I will probably grab one just because it'll be convenient to have a system with HDMI.
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

Fudoh wrote:depends on the HDMI to analogue RGB converter, but usually it does. Works on the Pi as well (before the VGA666/GPIO solutions were available).

I didn't follow the Analogue Nt updates, but Kevtris never added back the bilinear filtering for artefact-free 4:3 aspect ratio, right ? I would really like to see this on the Super Nt. The idea of needing a secondery processor just for aspect ratio control still seems stupid.
This is my concern. Stretching to close to an ideal 4:3 PixelAR needs to be filtered in someway or another to not have shimmering.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I didn't see any shimmering in the Chrono Trigger video they posted. At 2:09 or so there's a good horizontally scrolling shot if you want to take a look.

Does the NT Mini 5x horizontal and 4x vertical trick make things look noticeably too fat?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Kevtris said he re-wrote the scaler completely since the Nt Mini. To my eyes, it looks like he implemented something that looks like the integer-scale-then-bilinear-downscale approach, but in one pass to not have any latency.

The Super Nt specs are in some ways similar to the Zimba 3000 (both use an Altera Cyclone V A4), but the Z3K had a second FPGA/CPLD for scaling, and Kevtris hasn't answered questions as to if the Super Nt scaler works the same way.
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

At 1080p, it does Hx6 Vx5, so you're losing a bit of vertical to fit 1080p
It's easy to not notice it on Chrono Trigger because this game has borders most of the time. It's easier to see on Zombies ate my neighbors character select screen, on full vertical res you can see kid's hand in full and girl's elbow in full too.
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

After they launch this, they absolutely have to work on a Genesis/Mega Drive version. The AT games and its variants are absolute garbage.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If Kevtris (and Analogue) decide to venture into Motorola 68k territory, I want a machine that not only runs Mega Drive, but X68000 and Amiga as well :mrgreen:
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Fudoh wrote:If Kevtris (and Analogue) decide to venture into Motorola 68k territory, I want a machine that not only runs Mega Drive, but X68000 and Amiga as well :mrgreen:
+1
We apologise for the inconvenience
Cata

Post by Cata »

Man, these look sick! I've never owned a SNES before but this might make me more inclined to start collecting
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

You could get banned from here for admitting something like that, I'd be careful :lol:
Cata wrote: I've never owned a SNES before
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Cata wrote:Man, these look sick! I've never owned a SNES before but this might make me more inclined to start collecting
Just for info,

SNES games are super popular, they (CIB copies) are the games who are probably in the highest demand on ebay, they usually sell for alot and easily.

Unless you have alot of money at your disposal or don't mind doing with loose cartridges (some games sell for alot even when loose), then you should have started collecting 20 years ago...

Imagine it like paying Panzer Dragoon Saga or Rule or Rose prices for most SNES games you want.
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

I sold a copy of Earthbound on ebay for over $300 last year (started it at 0.99). Felt kinda guilty about it (briefly, of course).
Lawfer wrote:
Cata wrote: SNES games are super popular, they (CIB copies) are the games who are probably in the highest demand on ebay, they usually sell for alot and easily.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

tjstogy wrote:Felt kinda guilty about it (briefly, of course).
Haha!
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

No guilt necessary over accepting a market value.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

For games that don't rely on text, Super Famicom carts are a great, cheaper alternative thankfully. I Picked up boxed SFC copies of Super Metroid, Super Castlevania 4 and Street Fighter 2 Turbo for between $20 and $40 each. Way more reasonable than their US counterparts!

Not gonna bother collecting SNES boxed games though. lol
-FM Synth & Black Metal-