Need Help Documenting the Many Dualshock 2 PCB Versions

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Lawfer

Need Help Documenting the Many Dualshock 2 PCB Versions

Post by Lawfer »

I'll Start:

Dualshock 2 SCPH-10010 J 2000, Dualshock 2 Bundled together with an SCPH-10000 Japanese PS2, Made in Korea:

SA1P10A (SA1Q28B?):

Dualshock 2 SCPH-10010 J 2000, Dualshock 2 Bundled together with an SCPH-10000 Japanese PS2, Manufactured by Alps, 9 Pins on the Connector,no metal clip separation in the middle of the connector, Made in China:

SA1P11A (SA1Q28B?), Chip Revision SD718A:

You will notice there are 2 white ribbon circuit boards, never seen anything like that on any of the US Dualshock 2 being sold on ebay.

I can't recommand this model because it became faulty after a while, it's still working it just suddenly stopped working properly out of nowhere for no reasons one day.

Dualshock 2 SCPH-10010 U:

SA1Q31B, Chip Revision SD728D

Dualshock 2 SCPH-10010 U 2000, manufactured by Alps, Resistor on the PCB, Made in China:

KSA1Q31A:

Dualshock 2 SCPH-10010 U 2000, sold standalone in a retail packaging, manufactured by Alps, 9 Pins on the Connector, no metal clip separation in the middle of the connector, Made in Korea:

KSA1Q35A, Chip Revision SD731A:

Dualshock 2 SCPH-10010 U, 2002, sold standalone in a retail packaging, manufactured by Alps, 9 Pins on the Connector, metal clip separation in the middle of the connector, Made in China:

KSA1Q62A, Chip Revision SD758A:

KSA1Q80A, Chip Revision SD730B:

KSA1Q102B, Chip Revision SD787A:

Dualshock 2 SCPH-10010:

SA1Q111B, Chip Revision SD787A:

Last edited by Lawfer on Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeromemory

Re: Need Help Doumenting the Many Dualshock 2 PCB Versions

Post by Zeromemory »

Unfortunately, at the moment don't have anything to contribute, but I have several Dualshock 2 to repair.

They are a pain in the ass to fix, imho.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Zeromemory wrote:Unfortunately, at the moment don't have anything to contribute, but I have several Dualshock 2 to repair.
Would you have any PCB pictures to share here?
xAzurexEonx

Post by xAzurexEonx »

SCPH-10010 H
PS2 SILVER SLIM CONTROLLER

xAzurexEonx

Post by xAzurexEonx »

YIKES those came out horrid and huge XD oh well
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

xAzurexEonx wrote:YIKES those came out horrid and huge XD oh well
Thanks!

However there are only SCPH-10010 J, SCPH-10010 U and SCPH-10010 E, basically J stands for Japan, U stands for US and E stands for Europe.

H stands for "Hoshiden" which is the manufacturer of the controller and is not indicative of the region in which the controller was sold for/in.

Sony Dualshock 2 were made by 3 different manufacturers, Alps, Hoshiden and Mitsumi. On the controllers this will be indicated by "A", "H" and "M".

So may I ask a coupld of questions, if you don't mind?

First how many pins are there on the connector, 8 right?

Second does it have the little metalic seperation in the middle of the connector?

And third what year is this controller from? From what you say, this controller came with the PS2 Slim Silver? Meaning it's from 2007, right?
xAzurexEonx

Post by xAzurexEonx »

I just provided the info on the back of the controller, I'd assume it would still help identify who put out what board per manufacturer.

-Yes 8 pin
-Not exactly sure what you mean by this metal piece. Example you could point e to?
-Yes it is from a 2007 Slim
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

xAzurexEonx wrote:I just provided the info on the back of the controller, I'd assume it would still help identify who put out what board per manufacturer.
Yeah but it doesn't identify the country/region it was made for though... As I showed in the opening post, there are some PCB versions that never made it into some countries/regions. For example, SA1P10A/SA1P11A/SA1Q28B was for Japan only in Q1 or Q2 2000, so it would be useful to mention which country/region your controller was made for.

xAzurexEonx wrote:-Not exactly sure what you mean by this metal piece. Example you could point e to?
Here:

xAzurexEonx wrote:-Yes it is from a 2007 Slim
I see, that's interesting, was this PS2 Silver Slim used or new? If it is new, it would mean that Hoshiden has never bothered updating their Dualshock 2 and has only ever released one version throughout the years, because you see I do have a Dualshock 2 SCPH-10010 U purchased standalone in a retail packaging and it was made by Hoshiden too, however it was from 2001 and it's like yours.

Meanwhile Alps the other manufacturer has made many revisions and there are multiple variants within each revisions.
xAzurexEonx

Post by xAzurexEonx »

Understood.

Bought in the US.
It does have that metal piece.
The PS2 was brand new.

I believe I have another controller from an older slim PS2, if I can find it I'll post it.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

xAzurexEonx wrote:Understood.

Bought in the US.
It does have that metal piece.
The PS2 was brand new.
I see, thank you very much for confirming this, I started to assume that Hoshiden ("H") only made Dualshock 2 controllers only at the beginning of the PS2 and then stopped due to the fact that they never bothered to update their PCB versions unlike what Alps ("A") did throughout the years (from 2000 till at least 2010 or 2011).

xAzurexEonx wrote:I believe I have another controller from an older slim PS2, if I can find it I'll post it.
Thanks, i'd appreciate it!
franchy36

Re: Need Help Documenting the Many Dualshock 2 PCB Versions

Post by franchy36 »

:?:
Last edited by franchy36 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wallace_k

Post by wallace_k »

Hi, I realize this thread is over half a year old at this point, but I've registered on this forum just to post here in the hopes someone knows something about the particular model of PS2 controller I've got.

I got this DualShock 2 from a used video game store a couple months ago, and it's got this irritating problem where the actual PCB inside the controller appears to shake around when using the analog sticks. The circle in the picture was just to indicate that there is no screw standoff for the board, just a hole for a small plastic peg. This is also the only hole in the entire PCB, there are no other holes for extra support anywhere else on it.

The chip on the PCB also appears to be completely unlabeled, not sure what that indicates.

Any sane individual would just hot glue the PCB somewhere to secure it and call it a day, but I've become kind of obsessed with figuring out whether this is an actual design flaw of some PS2 controllers, or whether mine was broken or somehow modified somewhere along the line. I made a reddit post about this recently hoping someone over there might've seen this issue before: https://www.reddit.com/r/consolerepair/ ... case_both/ The first controller shown in the video is a flawless PSone controller. I began the video with that one just to show a normal functioning controller juxtaposed with the messed up DualShock 2 afterwards.

Here's a link to an album of photos documenting the controller's strange design: https://imgur.com/a/uH2uA9V

Has anyone noted this unsecured PCB issue before?
GTI

Post by GTI »

Hi, i have here a controller to fix that i never saw a PCB like this, it has a D in the corner, and in the case it has an H, but i'm not sure if the case is the original.
However i can't attach the picture.
I have also a problem, the wires that were connected to the pcb were removed, so i don't know the order to solder them back again,
If anyone can help me i really apreciate it.

Best regards