Supergrafx + RAU-30 + cd-rom2 briefcase RGB setup (8bitterz)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bateman82
Location: English is not my native language, sorry about any grammar mistakes.

Supergrafx + RAU-30 + cd-rom2 briefcase RGB setup (8bitterz)

Post by bateman82 »

I'd like to buy a Supergrafx and connect it to a white cd-rom 2 (briefcase one) using a RAU-30 as adapter.

Do both the supergrafx and the briefcase cd-rom 2 had to be rgb modded? Or just the briefcase?

Does anyone knows the eBay seller called 8bitterz from Japan? Because he sells a lot of modded pc engine.

I hope he is better than doujindance.
Last edited by bateman82 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Re: Supergrafx + RAU-30 + cd-rom2 briefcase RGB setup

Post by Fudoh »

either or. If you mod the SGX you have to take audio from the interface, since the CD audio isn't routed back into the SGX.
bateman82

Re: Supergrafx + RAU-30 + cd-rom2 briefcase RGB setup (8bitt

Post by bateman82 »

Thanks a lot for your quick reply Fudoh!

I've got only a Duo-R bought years ago from Doujindance so I don't exactly know how the combo (supergrafx-interface-cd-rom2) works, I need some help.

The supergrafx has the video output on the side and the expansion port on the back.

The cdrom 2 has the composite video output on the back and no (?) headphone jack.

When everything is connected can I use the video output of the SGX to display the cd games and route the audio from the back of the cdrom2 unit?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Without a RGB mod you would take composite video and stereo audio from the right side of the interface unit.
When you mod the interface you usually put a DIN connector on the left side of the interface. Internally you take RGB from the expansion port (on the interface's side) and audio just from the inside of the RCAs on the right end side.

The CD drive has a headphone jack, but there you only get CDDA sound. On the SGX you only get chip audio. Only on the interface's stereo RCA output you get mixed audio.

You can take video from the SGX, either composite or RGB once modded, but I don't see the point. Modding the interface is cleaner and allows you to internally route the MIXED audio to the RGB DIN output as well.

But let me add this: I had this setup once and I never ever would want to revisit it again. It's a *huge* setup and absolutely not worth it. Even if you really want a SGX along with the briefcase CD unit, I would simply add a standard PCE to the interface. Looks much better and you don't need to hassle with the RAU-30.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

I respect the oppulent extravagance of this setup.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

I rock the tombstone. All my consoles sit on shelf’s unconnected so the cdrom unit just sits next to the sgx.

I actually like how ridiculous it is.

ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Fudoh wrote:You can take video from the SGX, either composite or RGB once modded, but I don't see the point.
What if you want to use the SuperGrafx by itself and you also want RGB?
bateman82

Post by bateman82 »

kamiboy wrote:I respect the oppulent extravagance of this setup.
Ahah I can't find better words to describe it.

Fudoh wrote: But let me add this: I had this setup once and I never ever would want to revisit it again. It's a *huge* setup and absolutely not worth it. Even if you really want a SGX along with the briefcase CD unit, I would simply add a standard PCE to the interface. Looks much better and you don't need to hassle with the RAU-30.
You're right (as usual), it's better for me to keep my DUO-R (modded by doujindance) for cd games and a separate Supergrafx unit for hucard.

Btw, what's the best, easiest and less intrusive method to mod a Turbografx?

Does the dbGrafx Booster TTP work?
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Least intrusive is by using a boosted cable hooked directly to the EXT port. I made one myself, there is a thread of it here somewhere. Pre-made ones were sold once, maybe still.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

kamiboy wrote:Least intrusive is by using a boosted cable hooked directly to the EXT port. I made one myself, there is a thread of it here somewhere. Pre-made ones were sold once, maybe still.
Yep, they're still sold on eBay from time to time. Here's one that can be used with either PCE or TG-16 consoles: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scart-RGB-Cable ... xyaRZR2X4C

and another pcb setup with RGBs output for use either PC Engine or TurboGrafx-16 consoles via the EXT port: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Engine-AV-Bo ... SwgxxZlrDq

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

I know this is an old thread but it's the first English discussion for this stuff on Google so I figure I should leave a correction or two here.
Fudoh wrote:Without a RGB mod you would take composite video and stereo audio from the right side of the interface unit.
Yes, but not with a SuperGrafx and ROM² Adapter. It does not carry video to the CD-ROM² Interface Unit. You would get composite video from the SuperGrafx AV multi-out (leave audio dangling) then get audio from the Interface Unit (leave composite disconnected). This is how the instructions say to connect it, at least.
Fudoh wrote:When you mod the interface you usually put a DIN connector on the left side of the interface. Internally you take RGB from the expansion port (on the interface's side) and audio just from the inside of the RCAs on the right end side.
Correct, but RGB is not available to the IFU when connected through the RAU-30. You could add an RGB DIN to the part of the RAU that fits on the back of the SGX but you would still need to get mixed audio from the IFU.

Actually, you can get mixed audio from the system through an RAU somehow because it works over RF when you use a white PCE or chop to fit a TG16:
https://youtu.be/tPXEj9OefRQ

Yes, the voices at the end of that game are CD audio (Track 20).

So, why can't the SGX do this? My guess is that the EXT port only feeds back mono, since RF is mono while SGX AV out is stereo. I'm guessing that they didn't have a way to do this in stereo.
Fudoh wrote:The CD drive has a headphone jack, but there you only get CDDA sound. On the SGX you only get chip audio. Only on the interface's stereo RCA output you get mixed audio.
That what I thought too but the white PCE and TG16 RF modulators are definitely getting mono audio with both CDDA and system audio mixed. I've got a SGX on the way so I'll explore this soon. :)
Fudoh wrote:You can take video from the SGX, either composite or RGB once modded, but I don't see the point. Modding the interface is cleaner and allows you to internally route the MIXED audio to the RGB DIN output as well.
Totally agree... when the RAU isn't involved. :) Even if it did carry RGB all the way to the IFU (it doesn't), it makes more sense to keep the amplifier near the source to avoid amplifying noise and interference that it picks up along the way.

Modding the RAU instead would require cutting and would be in nearly the same position as the SGX multi-out anyway. For an SGX+RAU it would be cleaner and less-obtrusive to replace the system's DIN-5 with a DIN-8.
Fudoh wrote:But let me add this: I had this setup once and I never ever would want to revisit it again. It's a *huge* setup and absolutely not worth it. Even if you really want a SGX along with the briefcase CD unit, I would simply add a standard PCE to the interface. Looks much better and you don't need to hassle with the RAU-30.
The ungainly spectacle is part of the appeal for me! I mean, who among us isn't amused by this:
https://youtu.be/-7ZfsXQZAG8
???

Even my CDR-35D+IFU-30+modded RAU-30+TG16 can't hold a candle to his impressive Frankenstein-monstrocity! I do have a salvaged Discman laser in one of my CD-ROM² drives but I actually bothered to transplant it instead of just cobbling them together. Emerald Danjon's setup is definitely more of a conversation-starter!

With a mini-DIN RGB mod in a TG16, perhaps the RAU and IFU can be a budget Turbo-CD setup. Still might cost more than a Super CD-ROM² + TG16 and it will definitely complicate things if using SCART or JP21.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

The only good-looking CD setup for PC Engine is a Duo-R or Duo-RX. The briefcase might be a contender if it weren't for the dark gray stripe that matches the coregrafx (the PC Engine is meant to be white imo). :P
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

Forgot to mention that a 5-pin DIN cable for a Genesis 1 works perfectly with a SGX+RAU setup. With the SGX alone you'd be missing right-channel audio but you'll be getting both audio channels from the IFU in this setup.
bobrocks95 wrote:The only good-looking CD setup for PC Engine is a Duo-R or Duo-RX. The briefcase might be a contender if it weren't for the dark gray stripe that matches the coregrafx (the PC Engine is meant to be white imo). :P
There are actually two variants with different color bars across the top but neither matches the white PC Engine. You can see the two different ones in my pic above.

One is IFU-30 and the other is IFU-30A. The pic doesn't show the top side of both covers but they have prominently different logos in the lower-right corner. The original just says "IFU-30 CD-ROM² System" in block letters and the "30A" variant just has an oval "CD-ROM² System" logo.

I suspect that the older one matches the CoreGrafx and the newer one matches the CoreGrafx II despite the bigger beige parts matching neither. I also think the later one was bundled with the CD-ROM² drive where the original definitely was not.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I suspect that the older one matches the CoreGrafx and the newer one matches the CoreGrafx II despite the bigger beige parts matching neither. I also think the later one was bundled with the CD-ROM² drive where the original definitely was not.
not quite. The original IFU-30 was released when only the white PC Engine was available. The IFU-30A with the darker grey was relased alongside the first Core Grafx model. This is also when they stopped selling the IFU-30/CD setup in two boxes and offerend a single box version for the whole CD addon (they also switched from a bundles v1 to v2 system card at the same time).

The "briefcase" unit was discontinued when the Core II was released. Instead they offered the Super CD addon to match the CGII.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Interestingly it is the case that the gray of the first IFU-30 (non-A) matches the gray of the later Core II (and Super CD-ROMROM). I guess they just went back to that particular gray plastic that they had originally used for the first IFU-30.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

Fudoh wrote:
not quite. The original IFU-30 was released when only the white PC Engine was available. The IFU-30A with the darker grey was relased alongside the first Core Grafx model. This is also when they stopped selling the IFU-30/CD setup in two boxes and offerend a single box version for the whole CD addon (they also switched from a bundles v1 to v2 system card at the same time).

The "briefcase" unit was discontinued when the Core II was released. Instead they offered the Super CD addon to match the CGII.
Thanks. I knew the original IFU predated the CoreGrafx but figured the console still could have been made to match the original IFU. Guess not.

Still plan to get one of each so I won't have to speculate about such things. :)
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

There is no way the IFU predates the CORE, The IFU has contact plates for the CORE spring loaded shielding pins.
The white PCE does not have these pins.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Please check your facts first.

The original interface unit (IFU-30) was released in 1988 and it does NOT have the contacts for the Core's spring pins. And as stated above the 2nd version of the interface unit (the IFU-30A) not only changed the color of its housing, but also added the contact plates you're mentioning. It was released alongside the Core Grafx I.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

This always confused me RE the contact plates, thanks for clearing it up.
So the A still came with a white PCE?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

They were never bundled with the console itself or sold together.

I'm not sure about the purpose of the added ground plates in the back. Both IFU versions work perfectly fine with all three PCE versions (white/Core1/Core2).
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

Fudoh wrote:They were never bundled with the console itself or sold together.

I'm not sure about the purpose of the added ground plates in the back. Both IFU versions work perfectly fine with all three PCE versions (white/Core1/Core2).
I'm willing to bet it's just for grounding frames/EMI shields together... same as the grounding plates you are supposed to use for Sega CD and 32X. In other words, it's most likely an RF compliance thing rather than a functionality thing. You don't have to have it though Japan's version of the FCC probably says you do. ;)

Historically, they were more lax about it than the US was in the '70s and most of the '80s, hence the North American NES, AES, and others being more shielded than their Japanese counterparts. As the FCC scaled things back from where they were (think: Heavy Sixer and Atari 800), Japan seemed to gradually shift toward the middle ground (hence, IFU-30A revision, Super Famicom, etc).

On that note, I've never found any official documentation about where you are expected to connect the shield/ground lug on a Commodore Datasette. Many were chopped off decades ago. I've dug through my Commodore 64 documentation but it's probably for one of their earlier computers which were compatible.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

Well, it's all here and it's not quite the "ungainly spectacle" I thought it would be,
https://i.imgur.com/ljQo0GT.jpg
...at least not when you stack them like this.
https://i.imgur.com/zcRdyet.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/K55pTTO.jpg

Worst part is that it's difficult to slide the IFU's gate/power switch without sliding the IFU itself around... which is something I hope to deal with using the 3D printer. I guess I could blame the convoluted setup for something else:
I was missing left-channel audio, and not just because the TV here is mono. It was my RAU-30 ROM² Adapter. I have a second one that I had trimmed to fit a TurboGrafx-16, since it was just $8.xx. The trimmed RAU-30 worked perfectly so I had to take apart my unmodified one to figure out where the fault was. Well...
https://i.imgur.com/02yGKhb.jpg
That was an easy fix! (yes, I trimmed the excess immediately after the pic)

Turns out that the black wire on the very edge was L-channel audio and touching it at the Insulation Displacement Connector (IDC) would momentarily restore L-channel audio. The cable plug was secure in the housing and I doubt users could stress this connection at all so it's really a manufacturing concern. Being on the edge I assumed it was subject to different stresses in the factory and likely developed a break or weak spot then, so I took the backing plate off the IDC, removed the black wire from the rest of the ribbon, and re-inserted it on the IDC blades where it would connect further up the wire.
https://i.imgur.com/3tKaQUt.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PDi5zgo.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QY8ZzGl.jpg

During this I noticed that the blades on the edge were a little wider than the blades for every other wire, which tells me that the blades rely on the pressure from neighboring wires/blades to remain in place and the backing clip probably wasn't compensating with pressure from either side. If you've ever had a bad floppy/IDE cable, this could be why. ;) I bent the blades back together and reassembled but it could very well happen again as the blades relax.

The mono Genesis 1 AV cable worked great since I'm not RGB-modded with this yet and I'm getting stereo from the IFU audio jacks (as they intended with RAU-30). I'm not sure I want to RGB-mod the console anyway unless I can get stereo CD audio from it. I need to burn a stereo test but I suspect it's mono since it probably only feeds back to support the RF adapter.

Actually, instead of RGB modding the SGX it makes more sense to do further mods to my other RAU-30 since it's already cut up and can serve as a plug'n'play RGB adapter for my other NEC consoles. As it is, the RAU is definitely feeding CD audio back to the SGX though it definitely isn't feeding video to the IFU. With my $2 Genesis 1 mono AV cables from Console5 I only get one channel of system audio (of course) but I can hear CD audio mixed.

Speaking of the cables from Console5, I can't access the inside non-destructively because the jacket is moulded. That means jumpering two pins inside to turn them into mono cables for any DIN-5 NEC console isn't easily possible. Again, not a concern for an RAU setup since you are expected to get audio from the IFU, but I have a bunch of these cables around and thought I'd sacrifice one to have an NEC AV cable around for testing. Oh well. I did make a wire wrapping tool out of some extra multimeter probe caps but that's only a temporary solution (can't get good wraps without square pins). Maybe the wire wrap, a dollop of solder paste from a syringe applicator, and the right iron tip could make a decent jumper on the pin-side but I don't feel like trying that right now. Literally easier to make a cable from scratch since I have spare male DIN-8 and RCA jacks on the workbench already... and that one would be stereo.

https://console5.com/store/av-cable-for ... -sega.html

Either way, I'll put it all off until after I play some 1941. :)
https://i.imgur.com/Pf03YuH.jpg

I guess it'll definitely get "ungainly" after I get composite AV routed through the RetroTink 2X, but that's the case for many consoles. ;)
Last edited by CZroe on Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

My custom wire-wrap tool for DIN pins...
https://i.imgur.com/R3FUGLI.jpg

Worked like a charm. :)

I confirmed that the CD audio returned to the SGX really is mixed to mono before coming out of the SGX AV out, so it's probably present only for the RF modulator. Still, since this little "mini-Trinny" is mono-only anyway, things even less "ungainly" with the mono AV cable I just rigged up. :)
https://i.imgur.com/063jBkk.jpg

I found that the SGX itself even works as a platform for the IFU lid that's always annoying to deal with when you have to remove it to play...
https://i.imgur.com/mt23rwR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Qu9Dwoa.jpg

It's as if the rails on the side were specifically made to hold this thing and the back with no walls fits perfectly over the raised parts of the SGX.
https://i.imgur.com/URhhHMG.jpg

About the only remaining thing I find "ungainly" in this setup is having two power cables but I'll eventually deal with that too. :)

Oh yeah: In the same vein as my improvised stereo test for system audio using Chris Covell's PadTest, I used Akumajou Dracula X Chinno Rondo as my CD audio stereo test. If you press play on the drive without booting, it starts playing audio (of course), but Track 1 is Richter and Maria bantering and warning you not to play track 2 (data) on your speakers. It starts out with Maria startling Richter, but you hear each character on opposite sides of the TV. Perfect stereo test!