PSX -> Euro-SCART -> CMPTR -> PVM-2530

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
krispyfi

PSX -> Euro-SCART -> CMPTR -> PVM-2530

Post by krispyfi »

Are there any RGB experts on this board? I've hit a stumbling block.

My plan was to solder wires to the playstation's scart connector's R G and B pins and connect them to the input pins of the PVM's CMPTR connector. The pin-out diagrams I have both say .7v and I assume that the PSX's sync-on-green is not a problem because the PVM has a switch that says "sync-on-green". But the image looks like this:
[img=http://img311.imageshack.us/img311/7200/dscn6646small9wn.th.jpg]

Am I misunderstanding something about this whole operation? Has anyone connected their psx to a sony PVM with RGB before? (Where's Matt...?)

P.S. It seems I don't know how to use imageshack either. (^_^;;
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

Quick response:
If you are using a PS2, make sure you use the system's menu to set the output from Component to RGB.

I don't have a PSX, so I don't know if it has a similar menu, sorry :(
SAM

Post by SAM »

Have to press and hold the Triangle and Cross button to activate the progressive scan mode when you first stated the game?

Also, you should check if the game you used for testing support progressive scan. So far the only PS2 shmup game that support progressive scan is the Japanese version of SnS2.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

longer response:

I have some PSX cables made by Matt. While I can't open the PSX connector (soft plastic or rubber), I assume these use the PSX sync signal from pin 6. This line is fed into pin 3 of the 25-pin PVM computer monitor connector.

If you're using a European SCART connector, this should be pin 20.
I've never modified a Japanese SCART-style connector. This diagram suggests pin 9 is what you want.
SAM

Re: PSX -> Euro-SCART -> CMPTR -> PVM-2530

Post by SAM »

krispyfi wrote:My plan was to solder wires to the playstation's scart connector's R G and B pins and connect them to the input pins of the PVM's CMPTR connector. The pin-out diagrams I have both say .7v and I assume that the PSX's sync-on-green is not a problem because the PVM has a switch that says "sync-on-green". But the image looks like this:
[img=http://img311.imageshack.us/img311/7200/dscn6646small9wn.th.jpg]

Am I misunderstanding something about this whole operation? Has anyone connected their psx to a sony PVM with RGB before? (Where's Matt...?)
Your connection configuration is for connecting the monitor at 31kHz, i.e. your PS2 in progressive scan mode while your monitor at 31kHz VGA with Sync on Green.

I am not a RGB experts, I really don't know if your monitor could do 15kHz, i.e. Low Res. If that is what you are trying to do, connection configuration is wrong then.

The pinout of the PS2 in normal resolution (interlance) is different than the pinout in progressive scan mode. (The pinout is like what incognoscente had said in the previous post.) The Sync on Green is only happen during progressive scan mode. When outputing normal resolution (interlance), the Green pin got only the Green singals. The PS2 actually don't output composit sync in normal resolution (interlance), even you set it to RGB mode.

In order to get the composit sync singal, you have to built the Sync Seperating circuit using the IC chips LN1881N to seperate the Composit Sync singal from the Composit Vedio pin.

Here is the circuit diagram:
http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/lm1881.htm.

You would also need connect the +5V pin to power the chip.

So what are you trying to do? Connecting at 15kHz (Low Res) or 31kHz (VGA)?
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
krispyfi

Post by krispyfi »

incognoscente wrote:longer response:

I have some PSX cables made by Matt. While I can't open the PSX connector (soft plastic or rubber), I assume these use the PSX sync signal from pin 6. This line is fed into pin 3 of the 25-pin PVM computer monitor connector.

If you're using a European SCART connector, this should be pin 20.
I've never modified a Japanese SCART-style connector. This diagram suggests pin 9 is what you want.
YES! Progress has been made. Thank you! The sync signal did it, but I still don't understand why I couldn't use the playstation's sync-on-green. Oh well, wiring up one more pin didn't kill me. I guess all thats left to do is put in the capacitors for a brighter picture and get audio working. (maybe ground on CMPTR pin 2 will do it?)

Do you also have a 2530? What do you think about it?

To all the other posters: sorry I should have been clearer. I guess the assumption nowadays is a PS2. Maybe I'll buy one once it gets below $100...
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

I have a PVM-1910, but the pinouts for the CMPTR connection are the same.

I didn't mean to assume you had a PS2, I just needed time to fetch my notes and thought I'd post the answer to a quick problem I had in the past.

As far as audio goes, I use external speakers and I think most other PVM users do the same. Wire the audio channels into a simple 1/8inch stereo jack or left and right RCA audio jacks depending on your needs.
If you don't have a pair of computer speakers not in use, then this might not be the best suggestion. :(