Snes CIC bypass

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Syntax

Snes CIC bypass

Post by Syntax »

So I've been hunting around for various ways to bypass the Snes CIC lock.

The usual method is lift pin 4 and most games work.
I feel this method is old and worn out.

Another option is installing a supercic kit.

A third option and the one I'm most curious about is one I've found that suggests lifting pins 1 2 and 4 and letting them float, then connecting the cart slot pins 24 and 55 together.
This apparently turns the console CIC into a key and forces the carts CIC to talk to itself. Supposed to work with all games.
Here's a link to the thread where I found this info.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messagevie ... adid=94476

The op looks a little crazy and kinda took off without confirmation of success.
borti4938

Re: Snes CIC bypass

Post by borti4938 »

I'm using method three in one of mine SNESes and it works flawless. With this method I'm able to start alsoSA-1 and S-DD1 games. I can confirm that this method works :)
It is more elegant to short the pads 1 & 2 of the CIC footprint once you have lifted the pins (instead of shorting cart slot 24 & 55) in my point of view. Personally I would also ground the lifted pin 4.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Jumping 1 and 2 would be much neater, thanks for pointing out to ground 4, I hate leaving pins floating it feels wrong.

Can you see it having any adverse effect on the SD2SNES?

I think its about time we update these old methods to new ones.

For what its worth doing this and having a 50/60 hz switch is almost as good as a supercic install.

I say almost because there is no crystal switching, but that said, most of us would switch to 50hz then back too 60hz after the game loads anyway..

Ive noticed that the Mini CIC chip is labelled differently, is the pin out still the same?
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

The FFVIman method linked in the Nintendo Age post works, but not 100%, at least with some SA1 games.
I can get Kirby 3 to work, at some point I could get Kirby Superstar to work but not any more for some reason. Can't hard reset, but these games have soft reset.

Couldn't get Dragonball Z Hyper Dimension to work at all though, the solution was to lift the region lock pin on the SA1 and put the region switch on the original position.

All of this on a PAL console.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Ok so I lifted pins 1 and 2 and left the legs floating, linked their pads, lifted 4 and sent it to the closest ground.
This is on a Famicom Jnr.

So far its playing Pal Bubsy in 60hz fine, where it wouldn't even load before. But I know that's not much of a test as lifting and grounding pin 4 would do that anyway.

Reset is working fine

Ill grab Mario RPG off my brother and have a check.

rama

Post by rama »

borti4938 wrote:With this method I'm able to start alsoSA-1 and S-DD1 games.
Does it also "unlock" the S-DD1 for you? My Star Ocean starts but graphics decompression doesn't work.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

It has been a while since I used that particular SNES,... and I played SFII Zero the last time I used a S-DD1 game on that SNES. But I'll check it with Star Ocean once I'm back at home.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Well I tried a pal version of Mario All stars in a Famicom jr and got this...

Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I'm an idiot. It's a 50hz locked game and I'm trying to start it at 60hz.. lolz. So bypass working fine with pal versions of
Street fighter 2
Fatal fury
Mario allstars
Busby
None of which are sdd1 or sa1 sorry
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

rama wrote:
borti4938 wrote:With this method I'm able to start alsoSA-1 and S-DD1 games.
Does it also "unlock" the S-DD1 for you? My Star Ocean starts but graphics decompression doesn't work.
In my SNES it works totally fine. I also opened up my SNES for double checking: pin 1, 2 and 4 of the CIC are lifted and the pads of 1 and 2 are shortened.

@Syntax:
Of course, the CIC mod has nothing to do with the region bit of register $213F. But there are other ways to bypass this check.
rama

Post by rama »

That's interresting. My Star Ocean copy will only decompress graphics with either:
- an undmodified NTSC console
- any modified console with SuperCIC

Maybe there are different revisions of this game PCB or chipset.
seanneko

Post by seanneko »

I've done this mod but it isn't quite working properly with SA-1 games. Has anyone else tried it and can comment on their experience?

- Super Famicom
- Lifted pins 1, 2 and 4 of the CIC
- Bridged pins 24 and 55 on the cartridge slot
- 50/60Hz switch
- External 4.43MHz crystal on S-ENC

Star Ocean - works perfectly
Kirby Super Deluxe - intermittent, sometimes works perfectly, sometimes gives a black screen
Kirby's Dreamland 3 - black screen
Super Mario RPG - black screen

The cartridge pins have been very thoroughly cleaned so it's not that. Does this mod definitely work with all SA-1 games?