B&O MX4000: Horizontal ghosting in RGB?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Psy-Q

B&O MX4000: Horizontal ghosting in RGB?

Post by Psy-Q »

I'm seeing an issue on my MX4000 and a B&O dealer I know has just told me they have it even worse on one of theirs: horizontal ghosting of any elements with high-ish contrast. I can turn down brilliance to make it less severe, but it's still pretty bad. Here's the B&O dealer's set, ignore the black bars, those are from the camera:

They are at a loss about what to do, and they run a B&O service center as well, so this seems weird. I've tested with my own SNES on my own MX4000 as well as MX6000 and it looks OK, never as bad as this. PS2 even with games with many dark backgrounds (Gradius V for example) is OK on the MX6000, never as severe.

Any MX4000 owners familiar with this issue and perhaps armed with some hints about what could be done?

Edit: I've tried on my own MX4000 and the issue is there, but as mentioned not as bad.

Makinx

Re: B&O MX4000: Horizontal ghosting in RGB?

Post by Makinx »

I have 2 MX7000's (internally pretty much the same as an MX4000). They have the same issue.

I also own a Sony crt which has the same issue, although the ghosting is far less severe as to almost be invisible. My Sanyo crt does not seem to have the issue at all and I haven't tried on my Philips. At least I can conclude it's not an issue exclusive to B&O sets.

The only test I've run to pinpoint the cause of the issue, is to remove the capacitor on the neck board that does not have its own place on the board, but connects 2 resistors. I believe this cap was placed there specifically to counter this ghosting effect. Removing it exacerbates the problem, so maybe we need to look in that direction for a fix.
Psy-Q

Post by Psy-Q »

Thanks a lot. I will talk to the TV tech to see if they would be willing to try this. I don't know enough about TV electronics to fool around inside one without killing myself :)
karmeck

Post by karmeck »

I'm having a similar issue with my mx7000.

I wonder if there was any development in finding a solution for this.

If I turn the TV off using the remote the issue was removed. An other time it simply just went a way and was only there for about 30 sec.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Is it the same on both scart ports?

Does it change when menu text is on?
karmeck

Post by karmeck »

Syntax wrote:Is it the same on both scart ports?

Does it change when menu text is on?
I never got the second scart today work. Pressing the corresponding av bottom on the remote and nothing happens.I have the old remote with no screen.

I'm using the scart to the right if you have the back of the tv in front of you.
buttersoft

Post by buttersoft »

Hmm, I've seen people label this kind of ghosting as cap related, but i'm never sure. In the screenshot in the OP, it's only happening on lines with green in them. Is it only happening one one or two colours, or on all? How does turning down the contrast or brightness affect things, do the lines fade but stay in place until they're too faint to see, or do they fade and slide back to the left?
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

Sorry I haven't looked into this yet. I have the set opened up in my work room so I really need to get back to it.
buttersoft wrote:Hmm, I've seen people label this kind of ghosting as cap related, but i'm never sure. In the screenshot in the OP, it's only happening on lines with green in them. Is it only happening one one or two colours, or on all? How does turning down the contrast or brightness affect things, do the lines fade but stay in place until they're too faint to see, or do they fade and slide back to the left?
It's definitely on all colors. Brightness and contrast settings have no effect on it.
yoZe

Post by yoZe »

Good morning,
I'm going back up this topic to see if there's anything new. I have the same problem on my b&o and I only see that.
Thank's.
yoZe

Post by yoZe »

Bump !
nobody knows ? :?
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

Nope, progress is really slow because I have little time and I don't think it's a big deal. I will revisit the issue at some point though. I don't think anyone else is working on it.
yoZe

Post by yoZe »

I can help you if you need me. My knowledge of electronics is limited but if you tell me what to do, maybe I can make myself useful.
Moreover, it is a recurring problem on many crt, I imagine that the origin of the problem must be the same.