Last question......Japanese Saturn on European tv.........

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
D

Last question......Japanese Saturn on European tv.........

Post by D »

I do appologize for all of my questions recently.
I'm surprised I haven't been banned yet.
*love*

I'm getting a black and white picture.
This happens either by using an RGB cable or by using the default video cable. Note that using the RGB cable gives a clear black and white picture and the video cable a slightly blurry black and white picture.
So the picture is stable(no rolling), but just in black and white
What the fuck?
What can I do?
My tv can handle 60 HZ PAL, but perhaps not 60 Hz NTSC?
I have used a
Japanese SNES,
Japanese PS1,
And a European modded to 60 Hz Saturn on this tv and they worked fine with RGB.
Does my Japanese Saturn have another pinout?

EDIT
might have something to do with
NTSC 3.58
or
NTSC 4.43
I checked on http://www.ntsc-uk.com
I will try on my brothers tv this evening, he has a brand new 2005 Sony.
Hope it works.....
Last edited by D on Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

Are you sure you have a proper RGB cable ?
The picture being only black/white but stable suggest that your tv should be able to display the picture in color if the right cable is used.
D

Post by D »

Michaelm wrote:Are you sure you have a proper RGB cable ?
The picture being only black/white but stable suggest that your tv should be able to display the picture in color if the right cable is used.
I plug in that same cable into my European Saturn and it produces a perfect color 60 hz RGB picture.

I have them sitting next to each other!

:cry:
Thanks for the ultra rapid respons :)
*hands out award for helpfullness*
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

I believe you need some extra wires for a JAP or US system on a PAL TV.
The same goes for the playstation. I guess it's a scart cable you're talking about ? It probably only has 9 pins on the scart end. It should have all 21.
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

There are no extra wires needed. The 9 pins for RGB are enough. It does indeed seem like it is not a proper RGB-Scart cable D has.
D

Post by D »

Naiera wrote:There are no extra wires needed. The 9 pins for RGB are enough. It does indeed seem like it is not a proper RGB-Scart cable D has.
The scart cable works fine when I put it in the European Saturn sitting next to it.

I guess it can mean a couple of things.

1 Either the White Japanese model 2 (round buttons) Saturn doesn't output proper RGB through the pins or maybe there so sort of corrosion which prevents the signal to pass through the cable

2 Or my tv doesn't handle this type of NTSC signal, while it did handle a first gen Japanese Super Famicom and a first gen japanese PS1 and offcourse several European systems, NEO-GEO and Saturn all of which were attached by RGB SCART cable (I'm a RGB-junkie)

3 The Japanese Saturn I got off Ebay is broke in that it doesn't display colors.

So just to make it clear. When I connect it with the default yellow, red and white cables I get a blurry black and white screen.

When I connect the rgb scart cable I get a clear black and white screen.
the Saturn works fine, plays games, etc.

Or are there now different RGB SCART cables? One for a Japanese system and one that works only for European consoles?
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

D wrote: The scart cable works fine when I put it in the European Saturn sitting next to it.
It might be working fine but still just outputting composite.
D

Post by D »

Naiera wrote:
D wrote: The scart cable works fine when I put it in the European Saturn sitting next to it.
It might be working fine but still just outputting composite.
Yeah I thought about that for a minute and I can absolutely quarantee you that it is outputting RGB from my European Saturn. Crystal clear RGB display. I will check the cable anyway and I have another cable in my car and I will test it with that. Maybe one of the pin(s) of the cable just connects to the European Saturn and maybe the pin doesn'reach out far enough into my Japanese Saturn.

Well, anyway it looks like I don't have a common problem on my hands here, which could be a good thing! :roll:
D

Post by D »

just found this
http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/rgb21pinj.htm

Maybe this is what's wrong and I might have to rewire my SCART CABLE?
SAM

Post by SAM »

D wrote:just found this

I have a Saturn Europe Scart cable (3rd party) which is useless for me. I orginally want to buy a Japanese SCART cable but got this instaed.

How about exchange yours with mine?

I will be intesting in getting your Japanese RGB cable if it have wire connected to the +5V pin of the Saturn console.

PM me if my suggestion is fine with you.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
D

Post by D »

SAM wrote:
D wrote:just found this

I have a Saturn Europe Scart cable (3rd party) which is useless for me. I orginally want to buy a Japanese SCART cable but got this instaed.

How about exchange yours with mine?

I will be intesting in getting your Japanese RGB cable if it have wire connected to the +5V pin of the Saturn console.

PM me if my suggestion is fine with you.
I have a European RGB SCART cable connected to a Japanese Saturn and it is not working like expected!!!!

So what you are saying is that I need a Japanese RGB cable?

Or what do you need to display RGB from a Japanese Saturn on a PAL (60 Hz capable) tv then?

Do I need to solder a croos between an European and a Japanese cable?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

You definately dont want a japanese RGB cable. It will screw your TV up.

The pinouts are totally different on the TV end.

The only time I've experienced this problem is trying to input RGB into SCART 2 of the TV which only inputs Svideo via scart. This comes out B+W. Use the same scart socket as the PAL machine and see what happens if your not doing that already.

Its not your saturn at fault because R G B is just that. If the signal was not extracted from the machine your TV just wouldnt display anything or some colours would be missing. Since its getting all the graphics in B+W, it must be outputting the right signals.

PAL Saturns don't do PAL60 do they?
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
D

Post by D »

neorichieb1971 wrote:You definately dont want a japanese RGB cable. It will screw your TV up.

The pinouts are totally different on the TV end.

The only time I've experienced this problem is trying to input RGB into SCART 2 of the TV which only inputs Svideo via scart. This comes out B+W. Use the same scart socket as the PAL machine and see what happens if your not doing that already.

Its not your saturn at fault because R G B is just that. If the signal was not extracted from the machine your TV just wouldnt display anything or some colours would be missing. Since its getting all the graphics in B+W, it must be outputting the right signals.

PAL Saturns don't do PAL60 do they?
I allready had an European Saturn incl SCART cable.
I bought a Japanese Saturn without SCART cable.
I put the European Scart cable in the Japanese Saturn and...B/W screen.

On my brothers tv it works, but only on the NOT-RGB Scart input on the tv, it's displayed in ugly ass composite.

It's almost like Red green and blue signals get lost (in translation) somewhere. Perhaps the Saturn doesn't output them?

Some sort of RGB sync signal is transmitted though as the b/w signal IS very clear. much clearer than the b/w picture that gets displayed when I attach the original composite video cable to my TV.

I'm sorry to be such a bitch about it. (not trying to offend female viewers in any way imaginable, on the contrary I ......[censored])
D

Post by D »

BUMP

Any other ideas?
Who has a Japanese Saturn connected to a PAL tv by RGB cable?
The RGB cable is Japanese or European?

I don't have multimeter so I cannot check if the Saturn even outputs RGB.
Is it possible that a Japanese Saturn does not output RGB?

Or that it is broke? The Saturn itself is in excellent shape! cover is minty, cd drive makes that loud healthy sound.

I did notice that the Japanese Saturn drive is much faster, the lens moving from the inner to the outer circel and vice versa.

Also cd's sound way better on the Japanese system and the pitch feature is better too on the Japanese system. Go figure.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

The Japanese saturn definately outputs RGB. I've got mine outputting RGB just fine.
D

Post by D »

neorichieb1971 wrote:The Japanese saturn definately outputs RGB. I've got mine outputting RGB just fine.
OK good news, what type of cable do you use then?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Custom cables. For the PVM-2530 Sony monitor.

Incidentally I don't need them anymore. If anyone has a PVM with a DB25 input, I would sell them to you for a good price.. Say $12+ shipping. Includes Saturn and PS1/2 compatibility.