Help capturing video from a JAMMA board

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SmokesCement

Help capturing video from a JAMMA board

Post by SmokesCement »

Hello,

I'm trying to capture some video from a JAMMA board but having no luck.

Firstly the equipment...

I have a couple of video capture devices available:
• Elgato Game Capture HD
• Avermedia Live Gamer Portable

For getting video from the jamma:
• SmallCab JAMMA to SCART

In addition I have a cheap SCART upscaler:
• HD Video Converter (SCART/HDMI to HDMI 720P/1080P)

I've tried using the SmallCab JAMMA to SCART output going directly into the Elgato Game Capture HD via the composite input adaptor. The device should capture older consoles but unfortunately I get no signal.

I have also tried the SCART output going into the HD Video Converter, then feeding the HDMI output into the Elgato Game Capture HD. This at least got a signal, but it was a black screen which make me think the HD Video Converter is also incompatible with the signal coming out of the SmallCab JAMMA to SCART.

Do I need a converter to change the SmallCab JAMMA to SCART output into something compatible with the capture devices or upscaler? Or is it simply that JAMMA resolutions are unsupported?

I also haven't tried the Avermedia Live Gamer Portable yet since I would need to grab it from a friend, but I assumed it won't work either.

Ideally I want to avoid an expensive upscaler (if that would even work)? If anyone can offer a cheaper solution that would be perfect.

Any help is very much appreciated, thank you kindly!
Fudoh

Re: Help capturing video from a JAMMA board

Post by Fudoh »

Or is it simply that JAMMA resolutions are unsupported?
depends on which PCBs you tested. Do you which resolution and refresh rates your boards are running at?

With boards that output specs close to the NTSC standard using the upscaler should work.
SmokesCement

Post by SmokesCement »

So far I have tested New Zealand Story and Progear, both through the upscaler, but sadly neither worked.

The actual games I plan to capture are 3rd Strike and Vampire Saviours.

Is there any way to tell if the PCB will be compatible?

Also any converters I could use to get the majority of PCBs to be compatible?

Cheers!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Since arcade games output native RGB, it will definitely never work on the composite input. Doesn't the Elgato device have a VGA input? If it's able to read 240p sources, and it has a VGA port, I'm sure it should be able to read the signal from the JAMMA board.
BNGamesReviews

Post by BNGamesReviews »

Sorry to revive a Necro but im looking into this very same thing right now and also want to record from CPS3. Ive been looking around and can't find anything definitive but watched the Cooperation Cup and they obviously have a solution of some sort.

Has anyone tried plugging the SmallCab JAMMA to Scart into a OSSC to see if it accepts the signal than chain it into an Elgato or something simular?