Wonky sync, AFC, and an Ikegami HTM-2050R2: Help wanted

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Yardley

Re: Wonky sync, AFC, and an Ikegami HTM-2050R2: Help wanted

Post by Yardley »

SamIAm wrote:
Yardley wrote:Any else’s 2050R have a red glow for about the first minute after first powering it on? See pic

https://imgur.com/gallery/pKQqYBg
That's pretty extreme. I've never seen anything like it on any of mine.

Most weird behaviors that go away after a minute or two of turning the system on are likely due to bad electrolytic capacitors. If I were you, I'd open up the system and take a look at the RGB amp. You'll have to remove the plate from the lower-right area of the back where all the heatsinks are, but after that, it's quite simple. Look for bulging or leaking capacitors. Note that a lot of bulging starts at the bottom, not the top.

Good luck!
Yeah I was thinking that. The colors and black levels on this set are awesome (and I own a wide range of professional monitors), it just has that weird quirk, once it goes away all is good. Weird too because I am pretty sure it has extremely low hours judging by how new it looks physically, the plate on the back is still shiny like it just came out of the box. Inside too, super clean, the gun is nice and clear.
energizerfellow‌

Re: Wonky sync, AFC, and an Ikegami HTM-2050R2: Help wanted

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

werk91 wrote:The Extron 160xi fixed upper skew for me using a PCE Duo-R on a similar (if not the same internally) JVC monitor so definitely try it :)
NYI wrote:It works guys! The 160xi fixed the skew at the top of the image, coming out of the AMD card - like others here have mentioned, the "SERR" dip switch is the only one that needs to be on for this to work. I also used the two "no local monitor" switches in the front.
werk91 wrote:I can happily confirm that the Extron 160xi is perfect for the JVC DT-V monitor and PC Engine! 8) Basically all the skew is gone and what's left is not noticeable during the game, next will be to try out a Neo Geo CMVS...fingers crossed! Once I adapt the setup around the Extron that should be it all done :o Here's a photo of the result.
It appears French N64s and Sega PAL consoles on an A-series Sony BVM are the only things that the Extron RGB xi boxes can't fix? Many (all?) 100/200-series Extron RGB xi boxes have an internal jumper to clamp sync timing to either the back porch or the tip of the sync pulse, which might make a difference, but I don't think anybody has tested this yet? Do the Extron RGB xi boxes will take any sync at all, including CVBS or luma?

Those who have tried to tackle the Sega PAL issue all appear to have tried LM1881-based solutions instead of something more modern like an EL1883 or ISL59885. Renesas has a ISL59885-based sample circuit that's ostensibly deigned to fix broken H sync in SoG, but would appear to be exactly what's needed here. If you read the doc, it looks like you can simplify the circuit pretty extensively if you don't need SoG or HD support and use an EL1883 instead.

https://www.intersil.com/content/dam/In ... /tb476.pdf