shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:46 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: NEC XM/XP 29/37 Pro/Xtra Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:30 pm 

Quote:
Perhaps look into trying out a X-Vue Gamma Boost / HDFury GammaX unit. I need to try mine out on some more 15kHz displays, it seems like it may only be intended for 31+ kHz but I'm not 100 percent certain.

Interesting! Yeah, if you could test it for me on 15khz and show me some comparison pics, that would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:35 pm 

Logan Jones wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps look into trying out a X-Vue Gamma Boost / HDFury GammaX unit. I need to try mine out on some more 15kHz displays, it seems like it may only be intended for 31+ kHz but I'm not 100 percent certain.

Interesting! Yeah, if you could test it for me on 15khz and show me some comparison pics, that would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEHqAval0Gy/

Okay, works fine on 15kHz 'csync' too. Difference is more noticeable IRL, my CRT is already pretty vibrant but it helps a lot with making shit vibrant while retaining black levels, I can assure. Look at the world map in the background behind the character portraits for a good example

It is VERY noticeable if you're using OSSC's scanlines / a scanline generator on VGA displays

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:02 pm 

Wow, Thanks! Yeah, the XP-37 isn't extremely dim, but a gamma boost like this would really help.

I'll look into it!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:43 pm 

Hey, new here.
Was looking for info on a nec pg-2740 someone gave me.
At first I was getting no picture. Reflowed everything and now I get a picture but it takes over 5 minutes to get there and it's still messed up.
I'm used to working on simple arcade monitors so I'm pretty lost. Saw there was a long discussion about a similar monitor and was hoping to get some advice/help.

When I turn on my monitor it stays black for a couple minutes. The image will slowly show up starting on the left side and after a few more minutes will be done. It's shifted way to the right and is shaky. If I use the remote I can move it left but even all the way it's still not centered. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/RMNUl6b" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/RMNUl6b">nec pg-2740</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:10 am 

I have an XM29 Plus that I was tired of the loud fan noise on. I looked around and it seemed like some people had really complicated solutions for getting around the automatic shutoff when you use different fans, but fortunately I found one post on shmupsforum saying you can simply ground the sense wires on the fan cables and it will work. I tried it out and sure enough, it does! So now I have wired in some PC fan connector adapters and hooked up Noctua Redux fans instead - much quieter. Not that anybody will notice, but I think these fans blend nicely with the design. And I must say, these monitors are remarkably easy to service!

I also had noticed the internal speakers sounded very bad, and when I took the case off they proved to be totally destroyed:

The speakers are 90 x 55 mm, 16 Ohm, which seems pretty unusual. The closest match I can find online are 90 x 50 mm (or 3.5 x 2 inches) and fairly few of those are 16 Ohm, but maybe I could use speakers that size and just attach the screws on one side... anybody successfully replaced their speakers?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13