NEC XM/XP 29/37 Pro/Xtra Thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
andykara2003

Re: NEC XM/XP 29/37 Pro/Xtra Thread

Post by andykara2003 »

That would be much appreciated - just that little bit of extra adjustment to get the DC full screen would be great.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

So my XV29+ has developed a little problem - the picture can sometimes momentarily blink off for a fraction of a second when the monitor is moved a little when it's on. I assume this is down to a dry joint or something like that. If anyone knows more I'd be grateful for any info. It's fine for the moment as I don't move the monitor but I imagine this will develop into more of a problem later.

My main question is if there's anyone in the UK who would be able/willing to fix this for me? I think these are quite complex inside so might need someone with quite an in depth knowledge of CRTs/electronics.
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

That sucks. Hopefully you can get it sorted.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

It's sorted! Thankfully it was just the power socket. I hadn't realised that the problem comes and goes when you wiggle the connector - there must be a bad joint inside. I'll take it apart soon and sort it - phew!
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

Awesome! Haha.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

I don't believe you guys. i must see more 240p CRT evidence.

Where are the sweet sweet screenshots of these XM's?
Copyright 1987
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

I have tons, but didn't want to be obnoxious.
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

post em. I don't even have one of these monitors, but everyone loves close up shots of CRT's :P
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

aaronmjr wrote:I have tons, but didn't want to be obnoxious.
Please. Be obnoxious. I don't think looking at CRTS could ever get old.

And you would think XM29 screenshots in an XM29 thread wouldn't be too far fetched.

Also isn't there a difference in line blank spacing between models?

I would like see them from a comparison standpoint because I am using an OSSC on a Mitsubishi 37" pro monitor but I cannot feed it a 240p signal (31+kHz only).

I think it looks perfect but can only be sure by comparing to real 240p sources like XM29's
Copyright 1987
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

The monitors are *very* scanlined in 240p - too much so for me, I just use mine for 480p. The way they keep their sharp scanlines is a testement to the fact that these monitors just don't lose their sharpness for some reason.

I've tried so many times to take photos of my CRTs and fail every time I'm afraid.

Aaronmjr - i say go ahead and upload them if you have some good ones - especially if you have some close-ups of that lovely shadow mask structure.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I guess I can compile mine in this thread

my camera(phone) sucks though >_<
Anyway, here goes :

-FM Synth & Black Metal-
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

Okay, I'll dump everything I have handy. Some have my Instagram watermark, sorry.

aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

More

aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

More v.2

andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Fantastic photos! They really show off the screens well, I could never get that right. Also how did you get so many of them! I would dearly like to get another as a backup for the future. If anyone from the UK (or anywhere in Europe) is up for selling one please give me a shout (extreme long shot I know).
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

andykara2003 wrote:Fantastic photos! They really show off the screens well, I could never get that right.
Thanks!
andykara2003 wrote:Also how did you get so many of them! I would dearly like to get another as a backup for the future. If anyone from the UK (or anywhere in Europe) is up for selling one please give me a shout (extreme long shot I know).
I traded some local scummy reseller guy an old commercial plasma I got for free for the first one, and I drove 1400 miles (2250 km) round trip for the other 3. Got them from a guy who used them in an art installation. I'm in the US.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

1400 miles - that's dedication! And I'd do the same in an instant..
PascalP

Post by PascalP »

Those scanlines... :mrgreen:
Looking good guys, still need to redo my gameroom and setup my XM29...
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Those are some beautiful pictures.
The colors seem to have a nice pop going on and yes them scanlines are hot.
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

Thanks guys. I very much enjoy the XM29. I will say that a nice PVM like the 800TVL 20M4U blows them away in the sharpness department though. The XM29 has a nice balance between an organic shape with the shadow mask type screen and good sharpness without being too clinical. But if you're looking for razor sharp, there are better options.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

aaronmjr wrote: I will say that a nice PVM like the 800TVL 20M4U blows them away in the sharpness department though. The XM29 has a nice balance between an organic shape with the shadow mask type screen and good sharpness without being too clinical. But if you're looking for razor sharp, there are better options.
Agreed with all this.

I don't think there are many Sony PVMs around which have a 4:3 ratio 35" tube though! Or even 27 for that matter(there are some PVMs, but not that many)
And the multiscan capabalities are super nice

I also love that it accepts Sync on Green without having to flip a switch or anything. Just plug your PS2 in and switch seemlessly between 15kHz and 31kHz modes (maybe other sets do that, but I still appreciate that this one does)
Last edited by FinalBaton on Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

Absolutely. Multisync and the sheer size of the tubes are a big selling point. I think the closest you can get with Sony is a PVM-2950Q or PVM-3230 in the US at least, but they are 15kHz only.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

aaronmjr wrote:Thanks guys. I very much enjoy the XM29. I will say that a nice PVM like the 800TVL 20M4U blows them away in the sharpness department though. The XM29 has a nice balance between an organic shape with the shadow mask type screen and good sharpness without being too clinical. But if you're looking for razor sharp, there are better options.
I like how your color palette is more high kelvin than finalbatons pictures.

I see the preference towards color temperature.

Its always fun to see people's cool or warm pictures preferences.

Those scanlines are nice.

Are you able to close the scanlines a little by using bloom by activating your 75 ohm switch?

The picture would be too bright but sometimes you can use bloom to compensate for scanline thickness.

I am not sure about the XM series but (on mine) you can turn brightness down to negative amounts to compensate .

I love those pics.
Copyright 1987
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

Hoagtech wrote:Are you able to close the scanlines a little by using bloom by activating your 75 ohm switch?

The picture would be too bright but sometimes you can use bloom to compensate for scanline thickness.
I haven't tried, but when you're looking at the image straight on, and 4ft+ away they are not even remotely as pronounced as my photos depict. They do their job of softening blocky edges without losing any overall sharpness at a normal viewing distance. Taking photos straight on, it is very difficult to combat moire effect as well which is part of why I take them at an angle. My color looks different from his pictures as well because your subject needs to be ever-so-slightly out of focus to preserve color when taking pics of a CRT.

Hoagtech wrote:I love those pics.
Thanks!
philexile

Post by philexile »

aaronmjr wrote:I actually have the physical copy. Wonder if a copy place could scan and make me a PDF..
Hi Aaronmjr,

It would be great if you could share this with the community. There aren't any digital copies available.

I work at a publishing company and could have this scanned as a PDF very easily. If you send it to me, I can do this pretty much overnight and ship it back to you express. I'll PM you.

Thanks!
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

philexile wrote:
aaronmjr wrote:I actually have the physical copy. Wonder if a copy place could scan and make me a PDF..
Hi Aaronmjr,

It would be great if you could share this with the community. There aren't any digital copies available.

I work at a publishing company and could have this scanned as a PDF very easily. If you send it to me, I can do this pretty much overnight and ship it back to you express. I'll PM you.

Thanks!
That would be a massive help! I'll host it for everyone too!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I can now confirm that the RD-354E remote works perfectly with my XM37 Plus (remote referenced in the manual is actually the RD-346E).

What's interesting with this is that there's someone on ebay selling them for only a few bucks (and there's like 40 of them available). So a replacement remote won't set you back much, which is great news for people looking for one
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
SpiderWaffle

Post by SpiderWaffle »

andykara2003 wrote:My XV29+ doesn't have quite as much width amplitude control as I'd like. With the width set at max, GameCube games are only just wide enough to fit the screen and the Dreamcast underscans. Does anyone know how I can get a touch more width control out of the monitor?
There is most likely a pot that will do large scale H-size adjustment. The tech that set that up that monitor and adjusted that pot probably set it to ~90% (or slightly less) like the XM/XP manuals say to do; and with difference signal source parameters it will change a fair amount on these NEC, they seems more susceptible to difference signal source parameters than most CRTs.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Ahh, it would be good to know where that is. I'd definitely notch that back up to 100% - although I'm curious as to the reason why the manual recommends 90%..
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

retrorgb wrote:That would be a massive help! I'll host it for everyone too!
I'm working with him on getting it scanned so everyone can have access to a copy. I'll definitely let you know! Are you trying to expand the CRT Model information section of your site?

Also, does anyone have this manual? It seems like I can only ever track down the "Plus" manuals, but not the regular ole XM-2950.