shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:43 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: NEC XM/XP 29/37 Pro/Xtra Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:43 pm 

Yes, I can access to the OSD pressing "PROCEED" on the remote

My question is if there is any service mode, like on PVM monitors

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:34 pm 

This might be old news, but this user "rewrite" compiled an entire replacement capacitor list for the standard XM29 here:

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?thread/10223-cap-kit-projects-for-monitor-chassis-psu-s-pcb-s/&postID=167732#post167732

CT920B2500
http://www.digikey.com/short/pr19vr

PCB-POWER
www.digikey.com/short/pr1fmw

D9850 PCB
www.digikey.com/short/pr19bm

PCB-DEFL-SUB
www.digikey.com/short/pr192n

PCB-FBT
www.digikey.com/short/pr193c

PCB-AUDIO
www.digikey.com/short/pr19z7

Input PCB

www.digikey.com/short/pr19hr

PCB-HV
www.digikey.com/short/pr19jb

Neckboard
www.digikey.com/short/pr1972

Entire monitor:
www.digikey.com/short/pr1fr2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:50 am 

Nodoyuna wrote:
Yes, I can access to the OSD pressing "PROCEED" on the remote

My question is if there is any service mode, like on PVM monitors

No, apart from the normal menu, there isn't. What are you wanting to adjust?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:16 pm 

There is a bit of barrel effect on the screen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:11 am 

Nodoyuna wrote:

If by "barrel effect" you mean horizontal linearity issue, then I don't believe that it's possible to adjust it by the menu. It could be a fault in the horizontal linearity compensation circuit on the horizontal deflection board (perhaps caps that have gone out of spec).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:21 pm 

xga wrote:
Nodoyuna wrote:

If by "barrel effect" you mean horizontal linearity issue, then I don't believe that it's possible to adjust it by the menu. It could be a fault in the horizontal linearity compensation circuit on the horizontal deflection board (perhaps caps that have gone out of spec).

Thanks for the info, I think I won't mess with the monitor's circuits :)

BTW, the monitor does have composite and S-Video connections on the back, does this means it does support 15KHz signals? Is it possible to connect RGBs devices to the BNC inputs?

Thanks in advance

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:55 pm 

Barrel effect is corrected with pincushion adjustment: ( ) <--> | | <--> ) (

- Anonymous on Facebook

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:01 pm 

MKL wrote:
Barrel effect is corrected with pincushion adjustment: ( ) <--> | | <--> ) (

Thanks, I think I've seen that setting on the remote. I'll try it tonight :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:46 pm 

Hi everyone,

As some may know these NEC monitors have horribly loud fans, unfortunately when replacing them with modern quieter fans, the monitor does not power on. I tried to install some new ones myself...

Firstly the monitor I’m using is an NEC XP29+. I Used a similar wiring technique to the Sony BKM 41/42HD fan mod, as shown here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59139

After bridging the sensor to ground wire on the board header end, I also added a DC buck converter in the middle to adjust the voltage/fan speed. Shown here:

It has been a year or so since I tried this so my memory is a bit hazy but I recall that the results weren’t great. From memory, the monitor would only start if the voltage was 10V~. Therefore, powering it on at 5V (low fan speed/quieter) wasn't possible, and of course I wasn't going to want to adjust the DC converters with a screwdriver after every time I use it! So I just put the old fans back and said whatever and hope someone else can come up with a better solution.

The only person that I have seen successfully get new fans to work is the guy in this post: http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/vi ... hp?t=56769
After speaking to him, his solution in the end was to: "I made a little microcontroller that faked the drive signal so the monitor wouldn't complain, and then used a simple resistor and low speed fan." But he also said that he had lost the code for it but it could maybe work with a 555 timer too. I don't have the skills to design a circuit or code a microcontroller myself so I didn't try it.

An easier solution he shared was this, however I never tried it as I don't want to mess with it anymore until someone more experienced gets it working:

"There are three fans. Keep one the original fan (on the right) and two replacements. Use diodes to drop the voltage so that they run a bit slower. Standard 1N4003 or higher are fine. You could also use a 5V regulator if you want to go that low but the original fan needs >10V.

The middle and left fans are low speed Panaflos. You can use any quiet low speed fan. The key is to take the RPM sense line (yellow) from the one remaining original fan and split it so that it feeds the other two as well."

Sorry for the long rambling, but yes... the point of this post is to get some attention as designing something to get this working is a lil' beyond my expertise (I can do cap replacements and console mods but that's about it for now). Hopefully if any EE or similar gets one of these monitors they can perhaps come up with a good working solution and post how to do it! Or maybe someone can try the last method? I have opened my NEC so many times I don't want to mess with it again.. for now :D

Thanks for reading.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:35 pm 

Is yours the only XM29 you've ever used? I've heard other people complain about the fan noise, and I'm wondering if some are louder than others. The fans on mine have never bothered me even a bit. Even when I have all 4 running together it's been fine. I wish you luck on your journey though, sounds like the fan noise is a real problem.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:05 pm 

aaronmjr wrote:
Is yours the only XM29 you've ever used? I've heard other people complain about the fan noise, and I'm wondering if some are louder than others. The fans on mine have never bothered me even a bit. Even when I have all 4 running together it's been fine. I wish you luck on your journey though, sounds like the fan noise is a real problem.

No, I have two XP29+ and both are as loud as each other. However, just from seeing pictures and reading online it seems that the XM & XP's use similar types of fans or at least both have the problem that the fans can't be replaced simply. So I don't think one of the models should be much louder/quieter than the other.

I think that the reason for some people complain about the fan noise vs. some people not caring is most likely simply down to:
-1. How close you sit to the monitor. for example, I'm in a small room and sit pretty close whereas I can imagine if I had the monitors further away, it wouldn't bother me one bit.
-2. How loud you have the volume/or if you have ext. speakers. for example, if I put the volume up a bit high, you can barely hear them but I personally like to have the sound more on the quiet side.
-3. Lastly if the fans are clogged up with dust, it definitely makes them louder. I had this problem with one of mine when I first got it as the fans were full of dust. After removing the dust from the fans and inside the monitor, it did make a difference.

Thanks. Unfortunately I won't be trying to give replacement fans any more tries as the project is out of my scope of expertise, so hopefully one day an electrical engineer or someone with the knowledge to make something up along with instructions on how to do it can chime in and give it a go. That is why I made the post to try and bring some attention to it.

It's a shame as the loud fans are, in my opinion, the only downside to this monitor if one is like me and cares about the noise of them. Otherwise I really love the monitor!

Oh and the plastic casing is not ideal but it is fairly sturdy just gets scratched a lil' easy. Although when I think about it, metal casing would weigh way to much and probably isn't needed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:45 pm 

Hope everyone is staying safe out there. I recently came into the possession of an XM29 that needs a few adjustments. I could really use the service menu supplement to troubleshoot. Did anyone ever get scanned copy of the PG-2740 supplement? I have already made one pot adjustments for width (horizontal) but need to adjust some other geometry areas and could sure use a map.

Thanks in advance -

Crazed

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:58 am 

Has anyone tilted the yoke to adjust tilt issues?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:33 pm 

crazedbinary wrote:
I could really use the service menu supplement to troubleshoot. Did anyone ever get scanned copy of the PG-2740 supplement?

I sent it to a member here about 2 years ago but unfortunately he hasn't finished compiling it. I found a company that will do non-destructive scanning and can make a searchable PDF out of it, and plan on sending it to them this week. I'll make sure this thread has a copy right away when I get it back.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:31 pm 

aaronmjr wrote:
crazedbinary wrote:
I could really use the service menu supplement to troubleshoot. Did anyone ever get scanned copy of the PG-2740 supplement?

I sent it to a member here about 2 years ago but unfortunately he hasn't finished compiling it. I found a company that will do non-destructive scanning and can make a searchable PDF out of it, and plan on sending it to them this week. I'll make sure this thread has a copy right away when I get it back.

Thanks - Happy to donate a bit if you need any help with costs feel free to PM me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:21 am 

SpiderWaffle wrote:

Does anyone have a PDF copy of the XM29 Plus (XM2960) service manual? It appears the link seems to be dead. I would greatly appreciate it, since I'm trying to put a cap list and order together soon to repair mine. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:57 pm 

Hoping someone still has a copy of the NEC XM29 Plus (XM2960) service manual... :)

Please post a link or PM me if you do. Much appreciated!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10