NEC XM/XP 29/37 Pro/Xtra Thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SpiderWaffle

NEC XM/XP 29/37 Pro/Xtra Thread

Post by SpiderWaffle »

Starting this thread to compile and share information, resources and experiences with these NEC monitors. Hope to have it serve as a troubleshooting guide, Q and A, and more for NEC owners. I'll make some edits to this first post. I had the pleasure (torture?) of servicing 8 of these, 7 XP29 Pros, 1 XM29 Xtra, I'll invite the 7 other people whom I sold to here.

User Manuals:
29 Pros: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10979 ... -Plus.html
29 Xtras: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/25900 ... -Xtra.html

37 Pros: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10986 ... oduct-XP37
37 Xtras: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/25900 ... -MultiSync

Service Manuals:
XM29: http://blog.wolfsoft.de/wp-content/uplo ... SM_NEC.pdf (missing best parts!!)
29 Pros: https://mega.nz/#!4MV11K6B!sdn38KbL-NUB ... oRMfUVhNTw
Last edited by SpiderWaffle on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FinalBaton

Re: NEC XM/XP 29/37 Pro/Xtra Thread

Post by FinalBaton »

Good idea.
I'll post a pic/link later of the adapter I successfully use on the MAC15 port of those monitors.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Fusion916

Post by Fusion916 »

I have a completely disassembled XM29+ in my shed (been there for at least a year) that I have been unable to repair even with the full schematics. The power supply PCB works but HV section never comes up. The PWM that drives the flyback starts for a few milliseconds then dies. Anyone run into a similar issue?
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Fusion916 wrote:I have a completely disassembled XM29+ in my shed (been there for at least a year) that I have been unable to repair even with the full schematics. The power supply PCB works but HV section never comes up. The PWM that drives the flyback starts for a few milliseconds then dies. Anyone run into a similar issue?

... Presume nothing to do with the fans? These work fine? Monitor will shut down if these aren't working ... iirc you can daisy chain one if you only have one working... There's a thread somewhere where someone managed to not only daisy chain his fans to the quietest one but also start up and then slow down the fans to reduce noise... I don't think he could find a replacement for them though...

Here it is:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/vi ... hp?t=56769
Fusion916

Post by Fusion916 »

gray117 wrote:
Fusion916 wrote:I have a completely disassembled XM29+ in my shed (been there for at least a year) that I have been unable to repair even with the full schematics. The power supply PCB works but HV section never comes up. The PWM that drives the flyback starts for a few milliseconds then dies. Anyone run into a similar issue?

... Presume nothing to do with the fans? These work fine? Monitor will shut down if these aren't working ... iirc you can daisy chain one if you only have one working... There's a thread somewhere where someone managed to not only daisy chain his fans to the quietest one but also start up and then slow down the fans to reduce noise... I don't think he could find a replacement for them though...

Here it is:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/vi ... hp?t=56769
All fans were hooked up and working last time I messed with it.
PascalP

Post by PascalP »

Nice thread, will follow this :)

Note; the first link for the XM29 manual is actually the service manual
philexile

Post by philexile »

Hello,

I thought I'd post this capacitor key that I created for the XP29+ deflection board. This is the back of the board which has each component numbered on the silk screen. All the capacitors are highlighted, but only the electrolytics are circled in red and listed.

Please Note: None of the capacitors on my NEC's deflection board needed to be replaced. They were all high-quality, 105° C Nichicons. This may just be because my NEC had low use or it could be that these caps don't fail as often as caps in other monitors like the Sony BVM series.

My NEC has some geometry issues that other owners on the internet have noted. It isn't that bad, but its something I'm trying to improve. It may not be failing components at all though – it may just be the way this monitor is. I've probably been spoiled by Sony BVMs. :P

That said, I'll be taking a look at the Video board next, there are a lot of surface mount caps on there.... :)

XP 29+ DEFLECTION BOARD
Spoiler
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

On the 37 inch models has anyone successfully done a fan replacement mod? Seems like it would be a pretty easy, low risk thing to do but I usually don't like opening up crt's. Other thing that is annoying with mine is a very high pitched whistle that comes and goes. A simple cap replacement would probably fix this but again i dont like messing with the insides of crt's.
philexile

Post by philexile »

tacoguy64 wrote:Other thing that is annoying with mine is a very high pitched whistle that comes and goes. A simple cap replacement would probably fix this but again i dont like messing with the insides of crt's.
I don't think that whistle is due to bad caps. You may want to take it to someone to be serviced if it becomes more frequent.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Here is the adapter I use on the MAC15 port of my NEC (thought this might ne useful to other owners who want to make use of that port) :

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HD15-VGA-Monitor ... SwFNZWznc-

This is a nice purchase since it gives you 4 RGB inputs on the monitor! (remember : the NEC's ports can act as either input or passthrough. as long as you don't have t2o console turned on and plugged in both port of input 1(or input 2), this is safe to use).

This also gives you a passthrough function on input 1!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
SpiderWaffle

Post by SpiderWaffle »

Does anyone have another copy of the XM2950 Service Manual, or know the dip switch settings, pots ect? The one that can be found through the link I posted, easiest link to find on the web, is missing all of the adjustment procedures that would identify the pots ect, and access to service menu.
xga

Post by xga »

SpiderWaffle wrote:Does anyone have another copy of the XM2950 Service Manual, or know the dip switch settings, pots ect? The one that can be found through the link I posted, easiest link to find on the web, is missing all of the adjustment procedures that would identify the pots ect, and access to service menu.
Did you read the front page of the service manual? It says you need the service manual supplement for the PG-2740 monitor.
SpiderWaffle

Post by SpiderWaffle »

xga wrote:
SpiderWaffle wrote:Does anyone have another copy of the XM2950 Service Manual, or know the dip switch settings, pots ect? The one that can be found through the link I posted, easiest link to find on the web, is missing all of the adjustment procedures that would identify the pots ect, and access to service menu.
Did you read the front page of the service manual? It says you need the service manual supplement for the PG-2740 monitor.
Makes sense, need the PG-2740 service manual then, and/or code for service menu, (Pro/Xtra code can't be inputted on the remote, and monitor only has power button).
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Spiderwaffle - where abouts are you based? I'd love to have someone do a general service on my NEC XV29 plus but I'm in the UK.
SpiderWaffle

Post by SpiderWaffle »

andykara2003 wrote:Spiderwaffle - where abouts are you based? I'd love to have someone do a general service on my NEC XV29 plus but I'm in the UK.
I'm in US, SoCal
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Damnit! :) Thought I should mention there is the "XV" series of these monitors - they only have one input. You can input 31Khz or 15Khz via the HD-15 socket. I use a transcoder for component and a sync strike for 15Khz. The great thing about this variant is that there are no fans, so it's silent!
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

Great idea for a thread. I believe I have a manual supplement at home I can share.
xga

Post by xga »

aaronmjr wrote:I believe I have a manual supplement at home I can share.
That would be great if you could share the manual supplement, aaronmjr! I've looked high and low and never been able to find one before.
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

I actually have the physical copy. Wonder if a copy place could scan and make me a PDF..

Last edited by aaronmjr on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

My XV29+ doesn't have quite as much width amplitude control as I'd like. With the width set at max, GameCube games are only just wide enough to fit the screen and the Dreamcast underscans. Does anyone know how I can get a touch more width control out of the monitor?
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

My XM29 is the same way with Dreamcast. I don't think there's much you can do unfortunately.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

andykara2003 wrote:My XV29+ doesn't have quite as much width amplitude control as I'd like. With the width set at max, GameCube games are only just wide enough to fit the screen and the Dreamcast underscans. Does anyone know how I can get a touch more width control out of the monitor?
Dreamcast fills the whole screen on mine! And there's still a bit of room left on both HSIZE and VSIZE.

Maybe that input is set to Underscan? (yes, there indeed is an underscan/overscan function on these sets(at least mine) that is not accessible through the On Screen Menu. But rather only from the remote).
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Thank you! I wasn't thinking clearly - it was sent to underscan, DC fills the screen now. Playing Sturmwind - the game looks incredible on these monitors :D
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yes Dreamcast looks awwwwwwesome on these monitors :P

I feel like 480p is their strong point(they handle 240p iamazingly as well, don't get me wrong), with the stripe pitch they have (not too high, not too low) and the great colours and contrast. no scanlines at 480p(compared to fine pitch aperture grills), just a full, solid picture
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

andykara2003 wrote:Thank you! I wasn't thinking clearly - it was sent to underscan, DC fills the screen now. Playing Sturmwind - the game looks incredible on these monitors :D
Interesting. I have mine set correctly but this is as close as I can get. Dreamcast using a TORO VGA Box into an Extron Crosspoint and then into RGB2 via BNC. It does exactly the same thing when plugged directly into RGB1 (VGA).

andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

I have that little sliver as well - I'm not too bothered as it's pretty unnoticeable.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

that little sliver is always gonna be there : it's the end of the active viewing area. you can't fill that with graphics
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

Ah okay. I wasn't worried about it until it sounded like mine wasn't the same as yours. Thanks for clarifying.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I'd guess that's a side effect of the Dreamcast having a 640 pixel wide image embedded in a 720 pixel wide frame. Would make for plenty of overscan on true 720 pixels wide material, but it ends up just a hair squished for the 640 active pixels.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

I was stuck on the horizontal Width issue on my Mitsubishi XC3725C from a similar era as the xm29.

I was able to fix this issue because XGA from shmups hit me up and showed me the service manual where "service switch" was located.

I was finally able to adjust the margins to true full screen by adjusting the SUB width. Does anyone have a service manual for the xm29? I would be happy to check for you guys.

Here's my switch location. It was bitch (16 screws)

Copyright 1987